• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steve Jobs: 1955-2011

NTA

Smash Lord
Nintendo isn't innovative because Wii games suck. Electric cars aren't innovative because they aren't fast enough. And Redbox has such mediocre selection, no innovation over Blockbuster at all! And totes agreed about the ipod, not special at all. why did they even release that with so many other superior mp3 players on the market in 2001? :reverse:
But what about their other games/console. The Wii was just a chapter for Nintendo :o

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Poor guy I never even knew he was dying RIP. At least he was incredibly successful and left a lot to his family.

Nothing I own is Apple though. My mp3 player works fine and was incredibly cheap, and I don't have to endure iTunes.

:phone:

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I suppose the 9/11 attacks were innovative.

Hell, that means that Justin Beiber is innovative.
Jonas Brothers too.
I think the 9/11 analog is a little misguided, but I see what you're getting at.

Beiber's story actually is innovative, as he is debatedly the most famous person in the developed world, and he was discovered doing song covers in his room on Youtube. His music might be generic and pandering, but his career model certainly isn't. Well, it wasn't at the time.

I'm not sure how Jonas Brothers have affected culture and society in the way that ipods and Mac have. They are just a modern day Monkees/Hanson/New Kids on the Block/Jackson 5/etc etc.

But, at this point I don't really feel like further arguing pedantically over a word. Good day.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Such as shame to lose him.

May he rest in peace. You will be missed.

john!

Smash Hero
frotaz, you simply don't understand what steve jobs did for the personal computer. you only know the crappy apple products of today and assume that steve jobs got famous selling crap like that. nothing could be further from the truth.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm curious to know where Apple is gonna ever since he stepped out. Let alone, when is the next big innovation gonna come out.

I think the Iphone was pretty revolutionary. Owning a Windows Mobile phone around the same time the Iphone debuted, Windows Mobile was flat out terrible in a lot of aspects if you didn't have any use for it business wise. Iphones were the first generation of smart phones where they ran "smooth" in terms of reaction to touch and application. Lord knows how many times my Windows phone "lagged" when I tried to scroll up, down, or side to side. Hell, I even remember texting being a pain as well. Apple's ios is fairly efficient, and it did inspire other OS' to appear. Mainly Android, a revision of RIM, Palm Pre, and whatever else is out there.

Yeah Macbooks are overpriced, but I can say from personal experience, durability has not been an issue for over 3 years now compared to the several PCs and Laptops my family have owned that have stopped working or needed repairs.

RIP Jobs. There aren't many like you out there.

NTA

Smash Lord
Well Tim Cook is CEO. He's at least had some experience there. For them to choose Tim Cook, he might have a few abilities that probably made him the choice from the other candidates. Steve Jobs had to be aware of this and might have had a say in the choosing of his successor.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Doesn't matter if Jobs had influence in choosing him or not, for all we know, Cook can be more of a "follower" than an innovator. We'll see.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
So let me get this straight.

I am full of ignorant fanboy rage.
I am objectively wrong.
My opinion is ********.
What I understand and know has already been decided upon.

I have no interest in having a discussion that involves me defending myself from the ridiculous accusations of others.

BYE.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
So let me get this straight.

I am full of ignorant fanboy rage.
I am objectively wrong.
My opinion is ********.
What I understand and know has already been decided upon.

I have no interest in having a discussion that involves me defending myself from the ridiculous accusations of others.

BYE.
yep

:phone:

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
It's a big commotion today. All I heard in school was about steve.
Now that he's passed away, I'm having a close eye on what holds for apple's future.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
frotaz, you simply don't understand what steve jobs did for the personal computer. you only know the crappy apple products of today and assume that steve jobs got famous selling crap like that. nothing could be further from the truth.
I think this should be highlighted for importance. What Steve and Apple did for the personal computer, what with introducing GUI (yeah, they got it from Xerox), and challenging IBM's reign on the computer industry, you cannot deny that.

Steve Jobs has worked incredibly hard, and pushed himself and his people incredibly hard, to get to where he is today. You've gotta respect him for that.

Personally, I like his philosophy, as well. He is a very smart, very innovative individual, and I can say that while being a PC person through and through.

R.I.P. Steve Jobs. Another intelligent mind is gone. =\

Peeze

Smash Master
Even if you don't buy apple products, the majority of Tech has been influenced by Apple.
Much of which you owe to Steve Jobs/Wozniak.

Frown

poekmon
Reading this thread is literally making me cringe. The guy just died and we're back to the old "overpriced hipster s**t" argument. If you do like Mac computers, then shut up. If you don't like Mac computers, then shut up.

Rest in peace Steve.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
How is OSX any better for art than the PC? I have yet to find ANY solid reason.

The best I could find was 10 years ago, Apple computers were a lot better for art, but now Windows are capable of using photoshop and the likes.

If anything, it's just a bunch of artists following the cool crowd

Frown

poekmon
How is OSX any better for art than the PC? I have yet to find ANY solid reason.

The best I could find was 10 years ago, Apple computers were a lot better for art, but now Windows are capable of using photoshop and the likes.

If anything, it's just a bunch of artists following the cool crowd
Basically, posts like this.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Frown, it is you who is the demons. Don't make another thread****ting post.

Everyone else, you are welcome to discuss Steve Jobs in any manner you wish as long as it's not mindless spamming.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
I think LT has already stated this but if you don't like Apple products that's fine but to pretend like any of the Apple products did not have any influence or pave the way for more innovative products, then you're just being foolish.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Never really got into Macs or anything of the like, but I do thank him for my iPod. This was a surprise to me though, saw someone mention it earlier but I though it was just some kind of joke so I didn't bother with it. Hmm.

Rest in peace.

D

Deleted member

Why can't people just have a little respect for the dead.

Rest in peace Jobs.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Steve Jobs has worked incredibly hard, and pushed himself and his people incredibly hard, to get to where he is today. You've gotta respect him for that.

Personally, I like his philosophy, as well. He is a very smart, very innovative individual, and I can say that while being a PC person through and through.
Why do you think you know this? Do you know how much work it takes to do what he did? Do you know how difficult or hard he found that work to be? Do you know how he treated his employees? Do you know Steve Jobs? Do you know what his IQ is? I don't get how you could say things like this unless you know him personally or have studied his life extensively.

I think LT has already stated this but if you don't like Apple products that's fine but to pretend like any of the Apple products did not have any influence or pave the way for more innovative products, then you're just being foolish.
First of all, do you really not see how this is an elitist "If you don't think like us then you're dumb" mentality? :rolleyes:

Second of all, I don't think anyone in the thread has suggested that apple products have had no influence in the computer world. As for paving the way for more innovative products, this is entirely speculative because new technology is invented all the time at an alarming rate. Every new computer, ever new video game system is considered innovative when it's released. Every new piece of technology that improves on the last version is considered innovative, and let's be honest, how often is something made where improving on the last version isn't the intent?

Take video game systems for example. Some might say the SNES was innovative and paved the way for future generations. But oh, what innovative product paved the way for the SNES? The Sega Genesis? The NES? Some might say so. But what innovative product paved the way for that? Atari 2600? I'm sure plenty would say so. What innovative product paved the way for that? Pong? I'm sure a lot of people from my parents generation would think so. But what innovative new product paved the way for that? The Magnavox Oddyssey! How could anyone say that the first video game system was not innovative nor paved the way for future generations?

See where I'm going with this? What is and what isn't innovative is completely dependent on perspective, unless you're going to say that every new invention that has ever been invented is innovative. I personally don't buy that because it renders the term completely pointless.

As for Steve Jobs, yes he co-founded Apple, but Steve Wozniak is considered to be the main inventor of the Apple and Apple II, which I assume are the computers that everyone is referring to when they talk about the innovative technology that paved the way for future PCs. No doubt he had influence in the computer world, but at the end of the day Steve Jobs seemed to be primarily a business man rather than an innovative inventor; by the time he came back to Apple, the company already had countless engineers so who knows how much of a part he played in the actual creation of the technology at that point?

My experience with apple products has been that they are trash. The computers at my elementary school were Apple, and they were terrible. The computers at my junior high were Apple, and they were terrible. My first computer was an iMac, and it was slower than our family computer (which ran on windows) even though it was around 3 years newer. As for the more recent Apple products, well, I've already explained how I feel about those. Am I saying that Mac products are OBJECTIVELY trash? Of course not, because one mans trash is another mans treasure. This is simply my experience.

I am pretty tired of people treating their opinions like they are objective facts. If all you're going to do is re-affirm something that's already been said by flaming people with opposing views, why not do everyone a favor and not post at all? If you have no interest in accepting that people think differently than you, why are you posting on a site where people from all over the world come to share their point of view? I swear some people on here are so eager to dismiss other viewpoints that they don't even take time to consider the idea being put forth. It's really tiresome and to be honest, it's pathetic and has no place on this forum.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I suppose the 9/11 attacks were innovative.
They were.

The idea of hijacking planes and flying them full speed into skyscrapers as as suicide bombing terrorist act was genius and it's probably one of the most successful if not the most successful act of terrorism of all time.

That is innovation.

Top Bottom