• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What does "camping" mean?

The Star King

Smash Hero
Right, I forgot. When good players complain, they aren't making johns, they're providing lesser smashers with a knowledgeable unbiased analysis of the factors that effected the results of their matches.

:rolleyes:
I neither said nor implied anything anywhere near this. I was simply saying that not everybody complains. How did you even come up with this garbage response?

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I've noticed that Dr. Peepee does not complain. He just works and improves. The healthiest way to go about it, I think. But there are good players that john (i.e. Mango =D )

Kal

Smash Champion
I tend to john a lot. If there's one thing I can work on, with regards to sportsmanship, it's maintaining a good composure about playstyles I dislike or disagree with and not being a whiny *****. But for most people, the first step is admitting that you're being a whiny *****.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
I neither said nor implied anything anywhere near this. I was simply saying that not everybody complains. How did you even come up with this garbage response?
As if your response to my original comment was any less garbage. If you disagree, why don't you elaborate instead of just saying "NO UR WRONG"?

Most ever smasher complains at some point in their smash career. Every smasher I have ever known has complained about something in regards to smash. And I've known a lot.

Kal

Smash Champion
I like that "I've known a lot of complainers" translates to "everyone complains." So players are very good sports, you know. Have you met Axe? He would go as far as to call everyone amazing, despite playing terribly. Several local players I know have not complained a single time.

And I think posters are making a distinction between real complaints and complaints made in jest. "Your Sheik's gay" while being chaingrabbed in a friendly does not have the same ring as "dude, all you do is chaingrab. It's really ****ing gay."

Myztek

Smash Ace
Is this going to turn into an argument over the meaning of johning?

Complaining is one of the most useless things a person can do.

It's fun to make excuses in jest, however.

EDIT: Apparently I was making this post at the same time as you, Kal. I almost used the words "distinction" and "jest" in the same sentence as well, but went a simpler route. :p

The Star King

Smash Hero
As if your response to my original comment was any less garbage. If you disagree, why don't you elaborate instead of just saying "NO UR WRONG"?

Most ever smasher complains at some point in their smash career. Every smasher I have ever known has complained about something in regards to smash. And I've known a lot.
Well, your opinion is based off of personal experience. You can infer mine is as well. No need to elaborate here.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Players seem to skew the meaning of camping to fit whatever situation they are in.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I hate campers.

They're cramped, and they always smell funny to me.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Mango isn't as aggro as people think usually. He's just better than a lot of people.

I've decided I think that camping is excessive defensive play. I can't just give you one or 5 or 10 examples of what I mean and expect my idea to follow through because it is quite a complicated term, but there's always something I can observe about a player(length of time spent on one defensive strategy) that I can say to myself "oh, they are camping."

Also some characters are more limited in offense than others, but that doesn't mean they lack offensive capabilities. If anything, their offense can be more potent at times because of their natural defensive base, but most people don't think like that and like to sit back more(or at least it seems that way when I play more people these days).

Camping is whatever to me though. I don't enjoy fighting it but if it gets out of hand I'll try to stop it indefinitely if I can, no matter who I'm playing as or against. You just learn to value the hits or openings you get A LOT(same as with someone very aggressive or good really because you want the pressure to stop lol) and capitalize hard on them.

oliman

Smash Journeyman
basically how i see camping is prolonged defensive play to constantly put yourself in a position of advantage in terms of punishing/dealing damage to your opponent. for example, fox doesnt laser camp right next to you, he does it far away so you cant hit him. its a defensive position where he is racking up damage against you when you cant do the same to him, and for some characters, they cant do much about it. people get frustrated over the lack of options and the punishment that is (easily) dealt to them.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Mango isn't as aggro as people think usually. He's just better than a lot of people.
This is the thing that surprised me the most about your post. Apparently, we're all not looking at Mango in the right way, if he's not as aggressive as we think. Interesting...

But prolonged defensive play makes sense as being a definition of camping, and that seems like something most people can agree on...

stelzig

Smash Lord
If we're not including complaints in jest, then i'll change my previous comment to most people don't complain. I think I know 1-2 players i'd say actually complains and get frustrated, lol.

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
This is the thing that surprised me the most about your post. Apparently, we're all not looking at Mango in the right way, if he's not as aggressive as we think. Interesting...

But prolonged defensive play makes sense as being a definition of camping, and that seems like something most people can agree on...
I was definitely trying to hint at this.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Yeah, it seems to be the general consensus in this thread (more or less, anyways), and that's interesting (I did read what you said). So it's not so much the actions, but the duration, I guess?

Wake

Smash Master

There seemed to be a good amount of DD camping from Mango in GFs of Genesis 2...

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Yeah, but people just call that "good spacing." I completely see what you're saying Wake, but I don't know if most people would call that camping. Maybe cause it's Mango or whatever, but I'm not sure if that was prolonged, which seems to be the major factor in determining whether its camping or defensive play.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
I see camping as this.

When your playing someone who has a game you understand, but their patience and execution is too good. Or they read when you try to adapt.

Basically someone who is better at controlling tight space/understanding your approaches with defensive tactics.

Also mango DD camped hard and perfectly with usmash first match vs armada on BF.

DD is rigged if you know exactly how your opponent is going to approach and your closer to the center than ledge vs certain chars.

huMps

Smash Ace
There is a difference between baiting and camping. Mango's DDing was not campy DDing. He was definitely in a position where he could have gotten hit by Armada. He was actually DDing to pull Armada armada into the fray. Almost every time he baited armada it was when armada was just standing at one edge of the stage not really doing anything. Don't turn "baiting" into "camping".

Baiting tempts your opponent out of a comfortable position when they thing you have put yourself at a disadvantage.
Camping is sitting there hopeing your opponent will mess up one of there approaches, and you'll get a freebee.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
camping was a term first used in FPS games, right? it basically meant staying in the same spot until someone came to you and you shot them first because you were ready

in smash, the term is generally used for running away and waiting for the opponent to come to you

i think that's all it comes down to... ?_?

for slang terms like these, i don't think it's right to complicate them too much with semantics.

i, personally, still love the term "mindgames" and still use it.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
@huMps: I think you're right, in the short term. If you're trying to bait the entire match, then wouldn't that be camping?

@choknater: You may be right. Still, I would like something more specific than that, cause I'm a nut like that... I used to think it was just running away and waiting for someone to come to you, but it confuses me when people apply that word so loosely.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
people use it loosely because it is sort of a broad term for run-away

marvel players just call it run-away (which is actually more accurate because the verb "camp" implies staying still, which makes more sense in FPS)

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
ShroudedOne... this topic makes me laugh. Camping is what you do with almost all of your characters. Especially your fox. its funny when you play against scrub marths and then then run up to you and you get smacked.

People complain about camping so much because, as was previously stated, they don't like it. Its not fun to play against. There is a point at which just spacing well becomes camping, that point is different for everybody. I, for one, think the game would be ideal if there were minimal camping. I understand that it isn't possible for many characters, but ideally, camping would not be done. Thats not the case at all. Camping is a good strategy, it just makes the game not much fun at all. The real problem is the players who choose to excessively camp. thats the reason we end up with things like Armada vs Hbox at genesis 2. That match in particular made me realize that this game could end up like that. And if that happened, I would probably never touch the game again. Camping isn't always unbeatable (sometimes it is... in certain matchups... like pichu vs marth), but it is a relatively difficult thing to deal with in certain situations and forces one to play in a way that they may not like to / don't have fun doing. As much as I take the game seriously, I play it because its fun. When you remove the fun from the game... well I guess its just not fun anymore.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
After thinking about Armada's thing I think this makes sense:

Camping - Interactive defensive play. Can be unbeatable in select extreme cases, but requires interaction with and adjustments for the opponent's decisions.

e.g. Fox's platform game against Bowser. Marth's dash dance game near the edge of the stage.

Stalling - Non-interactive play that provides a disproportionately high advantage (ideally unbeatable) through a single technique, strategy, or position.

e.g. Gun Camping on Corneria with YLink. Movement camping on Hyrule with Fox.

edit:

If we want to add run away to the smash lexicon that might not necessarily be a bad idea. Helps distinguish between stationary defenses and mobile defenses a bit more.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
@Aesir: Prove it. Also, huMps is NOT a scrub Marth. Do some research before you call players that aren't scrubs, scrubs.

@KirbyKaze, that sounds essentially sounds like a beefed up version of what Armada was saying, and I can't say I disagree.

Top Bottom