• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem - The dGames strategy challenge | Sign up here!

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party

Welcome to the first dGames strategy challenge based on Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn! In this challenge 4 parties will hire units to their side in a recruitment draft phase before fighting each other on 4 great maps, designed by yours truly. Whether you have played Fire Emblem before or not doesn't matter - as long as you're interested in an exciting game, that requires smarts, strategy and prediction you're more than welcome to join! Join the battles, claim victorious and become the greatest tactician on SWF!

---​

• Phase #1: Sign-ups:

[collapse=""]The sign-up phase for this game starts on the 6th December 2011 and ends on the 6th January 2012. During that time, everybody is free to sign up for the game by confirming your interest in playing in this thread. There will be a sign-up list that keeps track of all interested participants. Note that this game will take its fair share of time and that you should only sign up if you're ready to commit yourself to the game for a longer while [if you're away on weekends for a tourney or something that's OK, just send me PM to let me know]. If you're sure that you will manage to keep yourself interested in playing leave a post in here saying that you want to play and also comment on your general experience with Fire Emblem [note that no experience is required though] aka what FE games you have played, what difficulty, etc.

On the 6th January sign-ups are finished and we're moving on the Phase #2 - after that there will be no more sign-ups![/collapse]
  • Phase #2: Party formation and unit draft:

[collapse=""]Once the sign-ups are finished I will form 4 parties based on the player's experience levels. Highly experienced players will become the captain of their party, moderately experienced one's will become vice captain. Depending on how many more people sign up each party will also have a number of regular attendants [probably 1 or 2 for each party]. The captain's job is two-fold: on the one hand it is his duty to lead his party to victory by consulting his vice-captain and the other members of his party for the next move and on the other he is the one to submit the final decision to the game moderator. If the captain is temporarily unavailable the vice-captain will perform this task. The job of the vice-captain and the other attendants is to support their captain to their best knowledge.

Once the 4 parties have formed and assembled they will be given quicktopics for communication purposes and the unit draft will begin. There are 60 units from Fire Emblem: Radian Dawn available overall - 15 for each team. The captains of each team will choose which units they want to recruit one after another in changing order until all units have been recruited. It's important to note that I will arbitrarily balance the units in other to avoid big differences in usefulness - while it will be almost impossible to have 60 units equally good, I will guarantee you that all units can be reasonably useful and that there will be no units that stand out [positively or negatively].

The general pattern will be: Units fight with their -/20 average stats and depending on the stats, their other abilities and their mobility they will get stronger or weaker weapons to make sure that nobody has too much of an advantage against the majority of units. You do not need to know any specifics about this yet: Once the draft phase starts you will be given the profile of each character with all their essential data.

When all units have been assigned to an army we will move on to the 3rd phase.
    [/collapse]
  • Phase #3: The battle begins:

[collapse=""]The parties have formed and the units have been assigned to them. Now it's time to place your units on the map I choose for the upcoming round [I will post a sample map later]. They will be fairly large maps but I also put a lot of effort into them so I hope you'll like it.
    After all parties have placed their units on the map the fight begins. Each player gets his own round where he can move his units and engage in battle. The game is turn-based but the order will change with every new map you fight on. [1st Player on map #1 will be 4th Player on map #2, etc].

I will post more details on the general game mechanics before the sign-up phase is over but if you've played any fire emblem game before you'll know what to expect: the damage formula will be the same, rescue and shove are available options and special effects will also exist [Archers vs Pegasus Knights, Thunder magic vs Dragons etc]. What will not be in the game: %-based abilities such as Adept or Cancel, height difference for attack / defense, trading items / weapons, weapon shops [all weapons will refresh completely for the next map.[/collapse]
  • Game mechanics:

[collapse=""]Fire Emblem is a turn-based strategy game. Each team repeatedly gets to move their units, attack with them or perform other tactical maneuvers in order to obtain the win condition: To eliminate all other parties on the battlefield [the order changes upon each map]. A turn ends if the player chooses to end it or if all of a party's units have been moved. During their turns each army may perform the following maneuvers with all of its characters:

- Move: Pass as many squares as the character allows you [check his character profile to see how many squares he can pass]
    - Wait: After moving a unit [or choosing not to move it] you can choose to have them wait. This ends their turn and no further actions by the unit can be performed until the next turn.
    - Attack: If you are within range of an enemy you can choose this option to attack them. After selecting this option you will be brought to your weapon inventory and will need to choose a weapon. Weapons that cannot hit the enemy from your current position (such as using a one ranged weapon when two spaces away from an enemy) will be greyed out.
    - Rescue: When next to an allied unit you can choose to rescue them if their weight is 2 or more less than the unit attempting rescue. When you rescue a unit, they are carried upon the rescuee and are completely safe from attack. However, if the rescuee is killed, the rescued unit will be dropped onto the ground. Rescuees will have their Speed and Skill cut in half until the rescued unit is dropped.
    - Drop: Make the rescuee drop the rescued unit onto an adjacent tile. You can only drop a unit onto tiles the unit is capable of traversing. You can't drop a Halberdier onto a water tile, for instance.
    - Take: If you want to trade rescuees without dropping the rescued unit, that is entirely possible. Just have another unit that has a weight two or more than the rescued unit move adjacent to the current rescuee, then choose to Take the unit. You can Take and Drop within the same turn if you wish.
    - Shove: You can shove and adjacent unit, regardless if it's allied or enemy, one space by choosing this command. The unit you are shoving must have a Weight that is no more than two higher than the unit doing the shoving.
    - Items: Enter the item inventory of the selected unit. You can equip/unequip weapons, and choose to use items such as those that can heal you.
    - Steal: If a Thief is next to an adjacent enemy unit they can steal from them. Only non-equipped items can be stolen, however. The Thief's speed cannot be more than two less of the enemy that you are trying to steal from.

Battle Calculations:

These are the caluclations done when you decide to attack your opponent or if you are being attacked. The attacker will always be the first to perform his attack, then the attacked player counterattacks [unless his weapon disallows him to due to its range attributes].

1.Doubling
    If your Attack Speed - 4 is greater than or equal to the foe's Attack
    Speed, you will double them. This means that you will attack twice against
    that foe in one turn as opposed to once [the double-attack will be performed after the opponent's counter-attack]

2.Hit Percentages
    Accuracy: Weapon Hit% + (2 X Skill) + Luck + Weapon Triangle Bonus
    Avoid: (2 X Attack Speed) + Luck + Weapon Triangle Bonus+ Terrain Bonus
    Battle Accuracy: Accuracy - Enemy Avoid (Cannot be higher than 100% or lower than 0%)

3. Damage
    Base Damage:Strength / Magic + (Weapon Might + Weapon Triangle Bonus)
    Defense:Defense / Resistance + Terrain Bonus
    Damage: (Base Damage - Defense) X Critcal Bonus
    *Strength and Defense are used for all non-magic weapons. Magic and
    Resistance are used for magical weapons.

4. Critical Hits
    Critical Percentage: Weapon's Base Critical% + (Skill/2)
    Dodge:Luck[/collapse]

• The maps:

[collapse="#1"]
    [/collapse]
    [collapse="#2"]
    [/collapse]
    [collapse="#3"]
    [/collapse]
    [collapse="#4"]
    [/collapse]

---​

That's the gist of it for now. All details will be added before the sign-up phase is over so you'll know what to expect right in time.

Sign-ups:

1.) Raziek
2.) Brosuke
3.) ...
4.) Ryker
5.) Jam Stunna
6.) Rajam
7.) Ussi
8.) dabuz
9.) Sworddancer
10.) stingers
11.) Xeylode
12.) Glyph
13.) ...
14.) Terywj
15.) Red Ryu
16.) Werekill
17.) Ronike
18.) John2k4
19.) camerino1
20.) MasterofGalaxies
21.) giraffelasergun
22.) Kantrip
23.) Berserker Swordsman
24.) Fuujin

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Ok, let's do this.

/in

I'm moderately well versed in Fire Emblem. I've not played Radiant Dawn in this particular example, but I have played a couple. Sacred Stones and Shadow Dragon being the two.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I'll tentatively sign up for now, but I want to wait for more details on the gameplay before I totally commit.

I'd say I'm very well versed in Fire Emblem; I beat all the GBA ones and played through the first six missions of Path of Radiance. I've never played Radiant Dawn though.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I'll tentatively sign up for now, but I want to wait for more details on the gameplay before I totally commit.

I'd say I'm very well versed in Fire Emblem; I beat all the GBA ones and played through the first six missions of Path of Radiance. I've never played Radiant Dawn though.
That sounds pretty good. Just remember to cancel your sign-up before the 6th January in case you can't play.

I want Ryker for my Vice-Captain.
Implying I'm gonna make you a captain :troll:

:059:

This will be interesting, so I'll give it a shot.

Although, I am no idea what my experience thing should be. I have played like every FE game there is. FE3-12, but I have only beaten FE7,8,9 on hard mode. The rest I have only completed on loleasy mode or normal. Nor have I done any of that crazy stuff like low turn counts, drafts before, or 0% growth play-through.

I guess "hardly experienced" since we are doing a draft.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Bro, you're moderate. Stick around DGames, you're not ******** and people like that are at a premium.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
This will be interesting, so I'll give it a shot.

Although, I am no idea what my experience thing should be. I have played like every FE game there is. FE3-12, but I have only beaten FE7,8,9 on hard mode. The rest I have only completed on loleasy mode or normal. Nor have I done any of that crazy stuff like low turn counts, drafts before, or 0% growth play-through.

I guess "hardly experienced" since we are doing a draft.
If you beat HHM (hector hard mode in FE7) then you are experienced since that is the hardest FE in America.

Alright then. But, are we going to have access to all sorts of items like healing items, staves, ballista, etc. And since there are laguz in radiant dawn, would we be working under a sort of gauge system for them and so you would need access to the laguz stones and olive grass?

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
/in, moderately experienced

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Interesting, I may join but I'll need a bit more information, seeing as I'm a dGame noob.

As for FE, I've beaten most of the games in the series except for FE4-6, 12 (I do own 4 though), and have gotten a 20 win streak on FE11 Wi-Fi. I'm not sure what that would make me though. lol

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I've beaten HHM in fe7...and fe6 hard mode. but not without losing units =/ idk lol your call

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
[collapse=Skill list that isn't character locked]
Adept - % based so not in
Beastfoe - interesting to see who gets this
Birdfoe - "
Cancel - % based so not in
Celerity - definitively a huge buff for a character here..
Corrosion - % based so not in
Counter - % based so not in
Daunt - % hit is in the game I assume i guess..
Disarm - % based so not in
Dragonfoe - probably gonna be a gimmick
Flourish - nerf skill
Fortune - yay no more 1% crit hax
Gamble - ... whatever
Guard - could be useful.. if we have support bonuses in game
Howl - % based so not in
Imbue - good skill
Maelstorm - % based (-_-)
Miracle - def a good skill
Nihil - pointless if mastery skills aren't in
Nullify - Great way to buff bad unit
Parity - Useful for flyers...
Pass - this will have some use
Pavise - % based
Provoke/Shade - Good meatshield/Hide Medic
Quickclaw - % based
Renewal - eh
Resolve - definitively a good buff skill here
Savior - rescuing is in?
Shriek - % based
Smite - love shove so much
Stillness - buffed shade..
Vantage - % based :(
Wildheart - I dunno...
Wrath - lol
[/collapse]

So question, are there supports (and RD lets you support anyone with anyone too xD)? And any chance skills can be modified to be useful? You could edit Adept to just add 1 more strike for a character and like make vantage 100% like in PoR. Since you are giving skills to compensate for characters, it shouldn't be that bad.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I HAVEN'T EVEN READ THE OP YET, BUT I AM SO IN.

As far as experience goes, I'm "Highly Experienced" pre-Radiant Dawn, "Moderately Experienced" for Radiant Dawn. I never was able to complete the game in the short time I borrowed it from a friend, but. FE7 and FE8 are my realm, though.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
If you beat HHM (hector hard mode in FE7) then you are experienced since that is the hardest FE in America.
"Experienced" is always relative of course. Beating HHM without losing any unit is a fair achievement and unless people sign up that have S-Ranked HHM that makes you experienced by default.

But, are we going to have access to all sorts of items like healing items, staves, ballista, etc. And since there are laguz in radiant dawn, would we be working under a sort of gauge system for them and so you would need access to the laguz stones and olive grass?
There will be items but not all units will have them and they can't be traded. Laguz stones and olivi grass will likely appear, ballistae will appear at least on one map but probably more and staves will be there as well.

Laguz are tricky... royals included too?
Laguz will work almost exactly how they work in RD, except that I'm not using -/20 stats but something that works well in terms of balance [like lvl ~30]. Royals are excluded.

I've beaten HHM in fe7...and fe6 hard mode. but not without losing units =/ idk lol your call
That's surely among the higher ranks of "moderately experienced". It will depend on how many highly experienced players are going to sign up.

So question, are there supports? And any chance skills can be modified to be useful? You could edit Adept to just add 1 more strike for a character and like make vantage 100% like in PoR. Since you are giving skills to compensate for characters, it shouldn't be that bad.
There will be no supports. I might modify the Vantage skill because it's a good idea. Not sure about Adept but I'll try it out before I post the character profiles.

I HAVEN'T EVEN READ THE OP YET, BUT I AM SO IN.

As far as experience goes, I'm "Highly Experienced" pre-Radiant Dawn, "Moderately Experienced" for Radiant Dawn. I never was able to complete the game in the short time I borrowed it from a friend, but. FE7 and FE8 are my realm, though.
Eh, be a bit more specific? Did you beat them on HM? HHM? Did you play / beat FE6?

:059:

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I'd prefer Vantage to be more like FE4 where it had a health trigger.

Seriously though, avoid chance as much as possible.

Rajam

Smash Champion
Gheb, why don't you ask people what are their achievements in the FE series? I think that will serve better in terms on classifying players' skills

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
You might as well label me as "Moderately Experienced" because this is Radiant Dawn.

My memory is foggy, but I know I cleared FE8 on both hard difficulties, and Lyn's / Hector's stories on hard difficulty. Based on that I would think I finished Eliwood's story on hard difficulty, but I'm not sure. I could probably go do that right if it weren't for finals lol.

Top Bottom