• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SSB Brawl/Melee Circuit

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
What do guys think of us creating our own circuit series?

It wouldn't take much. We could emulate some of what MLG does. We could turn our major nationals into nationals for the circuit. For example, Genesis 2, Ktar, and Whobo could be tourneys in the circuit. I say we have four nationals a year and a grand national tourney. The Grand National tourney should be Apex.

With the seeding points in the circuit players would be official pros.

There are many benefits to this for our community. It allows for easier exposure for sponsors(Believe me, it was easy for me to get sponsored for Halo 2 back in my pro days.)
It would allow for our talent of TO, stream techs, etc to be centralized and do an amazing job which would bring about more exposure.
Players would have an incentive to travel for money, points, earning the title of pro, and easier yearly planning.

This would take heavy collaboration between the TO's. They would need to do this out of the love for smash and not try and back stab each other out of greed. I think we can do this. This will help our communities survive, grow, and thrive!!

What do u guys think?

MLG and and EVO doesn't want us...I say we make our own Circuit!!

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Well run circuits also bring about International players

@MJG - I'm thinking the major tourneys we already have centralize and become part of a circuit. The TO's would just have to agree to work together.
That could be just the beginning. That seems simple to me. The extra step at the beginning is someone over the point/seeding/pro system.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
circuit events would also have the responsibility to raise funds for the circuit right? this would reduce payouts at these seed tournaments but it'd make the grand finale all the more worth it I suppose...

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
if we can get sponsors or find some other way of keeping money in this thing so it doesn't fizzle, then it seems like a good idea.

circuits are great for competition so I generally support them.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
I'm ignorant to all the kinks involved but we already have nationals in place. Why not just combine them into one rule set and and one circiut. They could be run the way they are now. But everything under one umbrella will bring more hype, more people will want to go, people can plan for the tourneys better, and

The tourneys would naturally be run better because more people who want to employed for the tourney would be interested.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
1st thing is first, get sponsors. If we don't have sponsors there isn't as much incentive since it is only the pot and it becomes very pricey to run these kinds of events.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
I know it can happen. Both Genesis 2 and Apex had sponsors.
But that is a good point. Did genesis 2 TO's not make profit? Just curious.

If we make it one big national circuit people's money will not be spread out at various regionals/nationals. The money will all be centralized.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
You'd need to make a convincing presentation to get sponsors on board. Where's AlphaZealot, he's already got all the stats collected.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
This has been attempted many times for both Melee and Brawl. It's an INCREDIBLY tough thing to achieve without being a central company in control of every event without sponsors.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Isn't Texas doing a point system? I think the MW did something like this. Lets just do it on a national level.

The only thing that would make this complicated is the TO's being selfish and wanting all the money.
The main thing is a centralized point system for the circuit.

iRJi

Smash Champion
I +1 this. Completely support the idea. If you need help you can ask too. I have a pretty large venue my self, and of course others around have a good venue too.

allshort17

Smash Ace
We also have to make sure that there is a major tournament in every region. North Pacific west, Atlantic South, and now that E4K is done South Pacific west could be lacking (Some correct me if I'm wrong)

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
I dunno but what's yer point? If u have valuable knowledge add to the discussion of why it didn't work and what we could do to make a successful point pro system/circuit

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
SNES = a tournament that was sponsored and crap and then didn't pay people or something along those lines. It was the first time (I think) ADHD beat M2k

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
oh yea, lol he ***** m2k and ally.

so hype.

anyways, i think this is ****. i wish we had a friend with lots of money.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Guys get the whole sponser thing out of yer head!! :)
That can come later.

The main thing is a pro ranking system across our nation.
So for example, M2k goes to California and wins Genesis 2. He not only wins the money but he also gets 64 points. Second place gets 52 points and so on.
U need at least 30 points(just an example) to be considered Pro or make it into Pro bracket. Depending on how we do it.

These points are what are used for seeding. If you don't have seeding points u are seeded randomly at other nationals. This will make our community more official.

I'm having a hard time explaining myself. We already have the national tourneys across the nation.
Lets put them under one Circuit name and create a Pro point/ranking system for it.
Not much needs to be altered...It is simple.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Thanks Drew

@BC- No we are not. Currently Smash tourneys are just a bunch of separate tourneys across our nation run by TOs. For example, no one received any points for how they placed at apex.
A circuit keeps track of its players by giving them points based on how they place at tourneys.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I'd be down, Kansas should probably be the state that hosts it since they got sponsorship for some stupid 24 person event with free pizza and redbull and bj's

edit: Wow, I can't believe they don't edit out blowjogs.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
The 4 national tourneys would need to be across the nation. Like one in the WC(Genesis), EC(The next Pound like tourney or Ktar), MW(SIIS), and Dirty South(Texas)(Whobo).

Then the Grand National could be Apex.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
just use the japan ruleset :awesome:

but seriously, IMO there should be at least ONE tourny held in the EAST atl south area, IE GA/SC area.

Honestly, i know someone like DRN would be able to host something really well, and Fl would help/attend to obv.

tex just is toooo out there for fl to get to easily (mass amounts at least)

and i know its equally hard for people to get to FL, which is why i'd say GA/SC is a fair-er middle ground that should be equally reachable for carpools all over.

my 3 cents

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Finds sponsors.
Find the right locations for all these events.
Get them all under the same ruleset.
Use tons of media, make a brand of this circuit, get more sponsors, more mainstream media attention.
etc.

Definitely possible, but it'll need tons of work.

Top Bottom