• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondary characters for a Falco main?

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
So I play mostly Falco, but I switch to an (overly)technical Fox against Falco, Doc, probably Jiggs and maybe Marth.

I also sometimes play Falcon against Ganon, and I have a pocket G&W.

Should I work on a Marth? Would it be a legit secondary? I used to play Marth Falco back when I was learning advanced techs, but I dropped Marth cause he seemed too boring (I even played Roy more as a secondary). I watch Ice and people play and when I watch Marths like him, the attacks they choose are obvious, but when I'm playing, it seems like I don't make the best attack choices and I sort of go autopilot, something that I didn't do while I was learning.

Is a Falco/Fox combination fine if I just play smarter? How is learning a Marth?

CK Momentum

Smash Apprentice
I guess the thing you really want ot ask yourself is, why would you want to play a secondary? LIke, just playing it for the sake of it is really a losing proposition. If you think "wow my falco sucks hard vs. marth", consider picking up sheik, since most people consider sheik a better character in the matchup. Just arbitrarily learning a secondary for tournament purposes is like, (this is all my opinion so don't sweat it if you disagree), but for me, it's not putting my best foot forward. If I wanna beat someone badly, I'm always gonna go falco. We're like inseperable brothers.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Virtually all Falco's matchups at the top of the tiers i.e. Marth, Sheik, Puff, Peach, Ice Climbers and Fox (the bolded I don't agree with, but it's definitely viably arguable) are even matchups or close to it. So, while you don't need a secondary, there may be utility in picking someone who has a solid advantage vs some of these. Fox immediately comes to mind vs Puff, Peach and ICs, and Puff comes to mind for Marth, Sheik and Peach. Puff would also be useful here because of her inherent trait of being less technically demanding.

1337h4xx0r

Smash Apprentice
The most important thing is for you to pick a secondary you have fun with. You would have to practice with it to maintain your tech skill with your secondary, and if you're not having fun, your growth with the character would be much slower.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Like I find Falco to be hard to play against a lot of people, like Marth, Puff, Doc, and floatier people. I can see why Fox is just a better character, but if I have some trouble with Falco, I dunno if switching to my generally mindless overly technical Fox would help.

This is why I am thinking of another secondary that would cover the stuff I have a hard time against as Falco, like Marth.

I go G&W vs IC's, but almost nobody plays IC's in my city

Puff just doesn't seem to be a great character IMO, and I think I would have to main her to do well.

Sheik is sort of taking the easy way out -_-, and I probably wouldn't have much fun playing her.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
falco doesn't need secondaries
if you find a matchup hard for falco, you probably don't know the matchup since he doesn't have any awful matchups
I don't think switching from falco would make any matchup so much easier that would merit taking time away from practicing falco and causing indecision during tournament sets.
No matter who you play, the better player will probably win, but the bird is the word.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Fox is always a great secondary because he can make the floaties easier to fight and I'm of the opinion that he can't be CP'd.

Marth is also a great secondary because this stagelist is awesome for him.

D

Deleted member

going to fox will only solve fringe match-ups that you're having problems with, and only with players of equal or less skill level than you.

IMO level up your falco more.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
going to fox will only solve fringe match-ups that you're having problems with, and only with players of equal or less skill level than you.

IMO level up your falco more.
My point is that if I need to work ridiculously hard to get a bit better at matchup, when (for what matchups) would it be worth it to just pick a different character and save the effort to put into something else

:phone:

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
My point is that if I need to work ridiculously hard to get a bit better at matchup, when (for what matchups) would it be worth it to just pick a different character and save the effort to put into something else

his point is, none.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Green Falco is a good secondary to default Falco because it feels like you're playing a character that's like Falco but more stylish.

More serious answer: Falco as a character doesn't need a secondary to be competitive and in general you'll benefit more from leveling him up rather than switching because it builds character. And by "character" I mean character familiarity, a broader skillset, and probably a more adaptive mentality. Most people that switch characters off a top tier for competitive purposes, IMO, tend to have really set playstyles. When they encounter something their playstyle can't beat, rather than modify it or learn more, they switch characters so they can use a different rigid playstyle with their new character.

I feel this kind of thing stunts growth and leads to low player depth.

That said, if you want a secondary simply because you want to try something new then I recommend any of Fox, Marth, and Sheik. They're great against just about everything in the game and whatever they're not good against (ICs for Sheik, Sheik for Marth, etc) Falco can beat anyway because he's Falco. So yeah. Two of them have the added bonus of being playable with fewer button inputs.

Niko45

Smash Master
Depends what type of matchup you are struggling with as Falco. If you're struggling with Fox then Marth would be really good for example. If you're struggling with floaties then sheik or fox are great. You just have to make sure you can fight something like ICs or Jiggs with Falco before you use Marth or Sheik.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
I have trouble against Marth (jesus christ this matchup is unbelievably hard for me), Jiggs, and Doc with Falco. Those are the cases where I switch to Fox. But Marth just seems like such a good character O_o

D

Deleted member

I have trouble against Marth (jesus christ this matchup is unbelievably hard for me), Jiggs, and Doc with Falco. Those are the cases where I switch to Fox. But Marth just seems like such a good character O_o
ban FD more.

bair better.

???

profit.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Green Falco is a good secondary to default Falco because it feels like you're playing a character that's like Falco but more stylish.

More serious answer: Falco as a character doesn't need a secondary to be competitive and in general you'll benefit more from leveling him up rather than switching because it builds character. And by "character" I mean character familiarity, a broader skillset, and probably a more adaptive mentality. Most people that switch characters off a top tier for competitive purposes, IMO, tend to have really set playstyles. When they encounter something their playstyle can't beat, rather than modify it or learn more, they switch characters so they can use a different rigid playstyle with their new character.

That said, if you want a secondary simply because you want to try something new then I recommend any of Fox, Marth, and Sheik. They're great against just about everything in the game and whatever they're not good against (ICs for Sheik, Sheik for Marth, etc) Falco can beat anyway because he's Falco. So yeah. Two of them have the added bonus of being playable with fewer button inputs.
Why are you so good at articulating things?

That is basically why I try to play my secondaries vs. as many matchups as I do my Falco. Like I would like to be able to use my Marth to cp spacies to FD, but if I am practicing Marth and someone switches to Sheik I still just focus on that matchup because I know it can help my Marth improve in general.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Falco as a character doesn't need a secondary to be competitive and in general you'll benefit more from leveling him up rather than switching because it builds character. And by "character" I mean character familiarity, a broader skillset, and probably a more adaptive mentality. Most people that switch characters off a top tier for competitive purposes, IMO, tend to have really set playstyles. When they encounter something their playstyle can't beat, rather than modify it or learn more, they switch characters so they can use a different rigid playstyle with their new character.

one of my favorite posts ever

V

Smash Ace
Dual spacies is probably the most solid main and secondary in the game.

BairJew

Smash Journeyman
Puff seems legit. Not much technical skill needed. Just learn the matchups your struggling with, a few tricks, Practice your DI. Then get work done.

SSBM_or_GTFO

Smash Apprentice
Use whoever you wish but Captain Falcon is mandatory. Captain Falcon must be a part of every ones character repertoire.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
I kinda agree with this. While most people say Fox and while the similarity is nice, picking up a character that's way different as a secondary can help free your play style from getting too set in one way and rigid. Maybe more as a secondary to practice and do friendlies with than use competitively, but I still think having to learn the different tools from trying different characters can help come up with new and different strategies with your main.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
You could just secondary fox since he has similiar moveset.

Although, it doesnt really matter who you secondary no matter what the character you play is.

Top Bottom