• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Top 5 Brawl [ US | CAN | MEX]

Status
Not open for further replies.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
lol, Vermanubis ninja'd me.

YA BOY DABUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
John12346 should be above Pitbull. John12346 has beaten Will and Vinnie before and now has his recent wins you guys were talking about. Does Pitbull have better wins then that?

:phone:

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
If M2K comes in and starts using Pokemon Trainer you mean? And wins?

I mean, I could put a cap theoretically on the amount of representation a person can have on the list. Like, max, three characters? If it's REALLY that much of a problem. List at least 5 people's names on here that have more than 2 positions on this list...

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I'm saying who are on the list right now... There's not even enough to count on more than one hand that have more than ONE position on this list currently -_-;

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
So is this chart just going to have high level players swap to mid level chars to be "best"
If M2K comes in and starts using Pokemon Trainer you mean? And wins?

I mean, I could put a cap theoretically on the amount of representation a person can have on the list. Like, max, three characters? If it's REALLY that much of a problem. List at least 5 people's names on here that have more than 2 positions on this list...
I could probably name at least 10, if not 20.
Better if you have a max, Krys. It's getting kinda annoying seeing top players that use High tier get nominated for another character solely cause of what they did in only one or two tournaments as they never use that character again.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I don't see any individuals besides Tearbear who've attempted to abuse this. (and succeeded for that matter...)

Ally has three positions. rightfully so. He uses CF still or at least used to quite regularly and was looked upon one of the better CFs period.

EDIT: Are you guys looking at the same list as me? Where is this insane amount of butthurt coming from? No one is stealing ur jerbz taking your lower than MK tiered characters out from under your feet...

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I know it's only a few people that're actually in more than 2 positions.
But this thread has kinda derived from a bit of actual discussion of Top 5, to a Flavor of the Week kinda thing and just hype whatever top player used X character in the last tournament and nominate a placing for them.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
For the record, I GET what you're all trying to convey, that high level players shouldn't swipe all of the positions just because they do one or two tourneys with a character they never used. But look. There's not that many if any at all DOING that. AND, for the record, some high level players used to use Meta Knight, so you've got a pr0blem there too.

Thing is, this isn't flavor of the week so much as it is up to date. If you want to list Arlex as top 5 Bowser for a few months more even though he's inactive for nearly half a year, when say Nick Riddle comes in and starts taking names with HIS bowser, you don't want to clear the list obviously unless Nick has committed to the character. Why do you think I have a 2 tournament limit? I'd prefer more honestly.

In any case, to answer the original question... NO, this isn't going to let high level players just decide to take positions because they use the character. Like ANYONE else they get a chance to hit the list if they prove their commitment (2+ tourneys) and activity as WELL as skill.

Is there anyone here that I've given too much luxury to because of their high level play? If you need to complain/submit reccomendations, give me an idea of who you're even complaining about. If you're scared to call them out, PM!!!

Vinnie

Smash Master
John12346 should be above Pitbull. John12346 has beaten Will and Vinnie before and now has his recent wins you guys were talking about. Does Pitbull have better wins then that?

:phone:
His win on me is kind of outdated (a year ago). I've beaten him every other time I've played him (which is a lot of times). However, due to his recent accomplishments, I think he should definitely be on the list.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I know it's only a few people that're actually in more than 2 positions.
But this thread has kinda derived from a bit of actual discussion of Top 5, to a Flavor of the Week kinda thing and just hype whatever top player used X character in the last tournament and nominate a placing for them.
Wdf no it hasn't? Plenty of ppl who came in here got turned down.

You have to have consistent results. Much more than "YO YO YO HYPE! I PLACED SO GOD DANG WELL AT DAT LOCAL LAST WEEK! TOP 5 *insert character here*. Ally has proved he's the best falcon and even had some falcons come in and say he should stay on...=.= None of these lists are "flavor of the week" every single person has earned it and if they don't keep up they get knocked off.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Wdf no it hasn't? Plenty of ppl who came in here got turned down.

You have to have consistent results. Much more than "YO YO YO HYPE! I PLACED SO GOD DANG WELL AT DAT LOCAL LAST WEEK! TOP 5 *insert character here*. Ally has proved he's the best falcon and even had some falcons come in and say he should stay on...=.= None of these lists are "flavor of the week" every single person has earned it and if they don't keep up they get knocked off.
Fair enough then I just know that (Not to start drama but.......) the whole TearBear on the fox listing just really made me think twice. It is very clear that the lists are accurate and the players all have put in their work to claim there spot, I guess I just don't want to see the Top 5 thread turn into the Top 5 top level players that played said character thread.

So point understood guys, I am going to work to get the PT list updated. I also think John12346 needs to be on the Lucario list since his current wins are of pretty high calibur.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Fair enough then I just know that (Not to start drama but.......) the whole TearBear on the fox listing just really made me think twice. It is very clear that the lists are accurate and the players all have put in their work to claim there spot, I guess I just don't want to see the Top 5 thread turn into the Top 5 top level players that played said character thread.

So point understood guys, I am going to work to get the PT list updated. I also think John12346 needs to be on the Lucario list since his current wins are of pretty high calibur.
Ya i didn't really feel comfortable putting tearbear on the fox list but socal did vouch that he goes fox a bunch in tourney. So *shrug* it's w/e. My boy trump will just have to get him kicked off so a real fox main can be on it again ;)

Dcold

Smash Lord
Using a character and maining a character are two completely different things in my opinion, and people are kind of overlooking it. As a main, and only a main, you are forced to play your bad matchups, and possibly lose meaning you don't get the opportunity to even beat someone more recognized to get on this list.

If I can avoid playing my bad matchups, and use a character that is good in that matchup, and only use my main for its like...70:30 MUs I shouldn't be ranked as a Sheik above someone who has to play all the the ICs, Pikachus and Kirbys, while I'm only playing Foxes, Ganons and Wolfs. They could be really good Foxes Ganons and Wolfs, but it messes up my consistency if I would lose to a decent IC, Pika, or Kirby.

Dunno if I explained it riight, tired out of my mind.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Using a character and maining a character are two completely different things in my opinion, and people are kind of overlooking it. As a main, and only a main, you are forced to play your bad matchups, and possibly lose meaning you don't get the opportunity to even beat someone more recognized to get on this list.
That's exactly what I said a few pages ago.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Maining or secondarying a character doesn't have a direct correlation with how good you are however. The only thing you can dispute is that results are harder to come by, but if they are there then no one should care.

Dcold

Smash Lord
It doesn't have a direct effect on it, but it skews these sort of rankings when tournament placings and who you beat are being taken into effect only if that person uses a secondary for certain MUs. Not saying the whole list is messed up though.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I already ask people to include in their results USAGE as well.

For example, if you use 30 percent lucas and 70 percent snake I don't really care how good youwin against Shugo was in third round of bracket when he beat your lucas AND snake and casued you to get 10th while he took 1st with his falco solo, coming up from losers or something. Your lucas wouldn't get diddly squat attn, because you used snake for your other good wins.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
^
That's fair.
If you use Lucas and Snake but mostly Snake (like in the post above this one) then you should provide your WINS with Lucas if you want to be considered a top 5 Lucas.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Anyways, now that that's out of the way I need to go back and refresh myself on the changes requested, since we went off topic multiple times. If you'd like to help, please repost posts made by people who've made requests/lists/results with whom you agree with or felt were reasonable requests. (otherwise I'll search around a few pages back lol 40 ppp ftw)

I'll be working on some HW / gettin ready to either go home by train tonight, so I should be able to make a clear update. I've heard DK needs it, and a few others that I can't remember atm.

Neon!

Smash Lord
The problem with DK is that there are too many inactive players. Dr. Grandpa, Cable, and Ook dont have any recent results as far as i am aware and Ripple mains sheik. There are a few canadian DK's such as mar1, 1pokemaster and attila that could be considered for placings as well as myself so I'm not sure what the new list would look like. Nairo's recent success with DK warrants him a spot and Will should obviously stay at the top.

Asking the DK boards might not be a bad idea on this one.

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Nike link me to Minty's matches nigg.
Roller your profile pic is sexy as ****.

I've honestly always thought that top5 list's for each character should be decided from their specific character board. Most of the people on the character boards actually know the players, how they place, their playstyle, etc alot more. And I'd trust and their judgement over how thing's are decided here. If I remember right, the Yoshi's recently made the list themselves and someone relayed it to this thread. And I thought that was very smart of them. I know I wouldn't debate my opinion of any players/list outside of Marth's because I know that there's just too much speculation, bias, and not enough research put into it to back it up. Now there ARE people who do ALOT of homework on this game and outside of one character. Gheb's a pretty good example, and I always enjoy reading his post's when they are informative. This is, however, a rarity in this thread sadly.

I'll probably get alot of flack for this since most of the people who post in this thread won't agree with it at all.
I like this

BioDG

Smash Ace
I like that post too, but...then there's the issue of having a limited scope of players frequenting those boards.

Maybe in order to get around that, character boards SHOULD be the ones calling the shots (PMing Krystedez to update the "master list" when their character's top 5 is decided), but have their top 5 thread linked in this thread's OP so if people have a problem, they know where to go where they can be heard. As for this thread, it could just be a place to discuss the "master list" of top 5 players as a whole but not be the place to actually deliberate anything.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
will
cable
Nairo
Neon
Esam

there you go, no other DK actually gets notable results at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom