• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Super Smash Bros. Roster Maker (Version 3.0 Available!!!)

Jakor

Smash Ace
Go to the end of this post for information about the new features in the version 4.0.

If anyone is having trouble with an error related to the Java Runtime Environment, just copy what is inside the "dist" folder, so that means the file "Smash_Roster_Maker.jar" and the "lib" folder to the main directory, where the ".exe" file is. Then double click on the "Smash_Roster_Maker.jar" file and the Roster Maker should work fine! Of course, you must make sure you have the version 7 of Java installed on your computer. See the link in red below to download it.

So... I've been working on something really neat.

I had this idea while I was assembling a picture of my roster with Paint. It was really tedious and taking too long to just make one. And of course, it was even more tedious to edit a picture after having saved it, by needing to place all of the separate icons side by side without leaving any space between them, and re-sizing the roster's picture everytime. So here we are now.

I have some experience in software programming, as I am a student in computer science. So I've used my skills to create a program in which anyone can make his/her own custom roster quite rapidly and intuitively. The days of editing your roster in Paint, Gimp, or by linking all of your images side by side on the web could be over. With the SSB Roster Maker, you can also save your rosters as images on your computer, with the same quality as Paint or other image editors (I did side by side comparison, and there was absolutely no difference in the image quality, size and dimension).

I also want to mention that while I did make a lot of the character icons, another great contributor to those images is a member called Oasis_S. So if there is a character icon that you want to use in your roster that isn't in present in the Roster Maker, you can always do it yourself (I've included a quick guide on how to make some in the "Readme" file), or make a request to him or to me.

Here is what you must do to start using the Roster Maker right now:
  1. Download the program's archive from the link below.
  2. Extract the archive in a directory of your choice on your computer.
  3. Start the program by double clicking on the file named "SSB Roster Maker.exe".
For Mac or Linux users, I've added instructions on how to use the Roster Maker in the "Readme" file.

Here is a link to download the Super Smash Bros. Roster Maker (version 4.0).

It's that simple! Although you might want to know that the program is made in Java, so there could potentially be some problems depending on the version you currently have. You will need the version 7.0 of Java to use the version 4.0 of the Roster Maker. Here is a link to the Java download page in case you need it.

Here is a screen capture of the program's interface (in version 4.0):

And the image produced by saving the file of your roster with colored borders (by clicking on the "Save image" button in the bottom right corner):

And without colored borders:

I then saved the roster by pressing the "Custom rosters" button and then selecting the save option, and closed the Roster Maker.

Later on, I decided to make a few changes to my roster, so I simply opened the Maker again, and then by pressing the "Custom rosters" button again, then selecting the roster I saved and loading it, my previously saved roster was uploaded on the screen.

After making some new changes (changing Marth's and Ike's icons), I clicked on the "Save image" button once again and the file produced was this one:

You can even use any of your own images in the Maker to make a roster image with the characters you want!

All instructions are now included in a file called "Instructions", which is located in the "utils" folder within the archive of the Roster Maker.

List of new features for the version 4.0:
  • Added a button named "Character info" below the list of characters which is used to get information about the currently selected character in a dialog. Information includes the character's name, its gender (male, female, genderless, both), its alignment (good, evil or neutral), its series, its status (veteran or newcomer), its popularity (on a scale of 0 to 10) and its debut game.
  • Added the ability to modify the attributes of every character icon in the program, including your own icons. You can do that by clicking on the "Character info" button (see the point above), clicking on the pencil icon next to the attribute you want to change. When your changes are done, simply click the "Close" button. To reset the attributes of a character to the default ones, click the "Reset" button.
  • Added twelve new radio buttons next to the list. In total, there are four different groups, so a maximum of four options can be selected at the same time. You can sort the list by alignment (good, evil or neutral), by gender (male, female or genderless) and by status (newcomer or veteran). You can combine the buttons to sort the list even more. The "All" button in those groups includes every character no matter their alignment, gender or status. The use of those buttons can also be combined with the combo box, sorting the list with the currently selected series. One radio button has been added for descending popularity.
  • Added a function to the menu bar with the ability to insert a row or column by specifying the letter or the number associated with it. The characters in the roster will be moved to the right in the next column or to the bottom in the next row, if it is necessary for the insertion.
  • Added a function to the menu bar with the ability to remove a row or column by specifying the letter or the number associated with it. The characters in the roster will be moved to the left in the next column or to the top in the next row, if it is necessary for the removal.
  • Added a function to the menu bar to sort the current roster by series. The roster can be sorted either vertically or horizontally. Due to the limitations of the number of rows and columns, some of the series will be grouped together. This function is irreversible.
  • Added a function called "Switch mode" in the "Edit" tab from the menu bar. If the "Switch mode" is checked, dragging a character on top of another one will exchange the position of both characters on the roster instead of replacing it. This function can be turned off so dragging characters on top of others will replace them.
  • Added letters and numbers next to each row and column to identify them easily when using the "inserting/removing rows/columns" functions.
  • There is now a total of 800 character icons!
For a complete list of all the changes, see the "Changelog" file located in the "utils" folder, included within the archive.

The popularity of the characters was partially based according to Shortiecanbrawl's various polls.

Note: If you want to post your roster images on forums, blogs and other places on the web, you must first need to upload them using media hosting websites such as
http://imageshack.us/ or http://photobucket.com/.

Have suggestions for features or options you would like to see in the Roster Maker, report bugs or simply leave feedback? Or maybe you have some icons of your own that you would like me to add in future versions? Just mention them in a post in this thread, or contact me by another way, and I'll consider them!

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
So, I was thinking it would be neat if there was a FLASH thing with a big pool of character icons and you'd just drag them around and create your own roster image.
I want to cry.

Is this a roster maker.

Or a maker of dreams?

Jakor

Smash Ace
I want to cry.

Is this a roster maker.

Or a maker of dreams?
Aha, I just noticed you had posted that. Maybe my subconscious led me to do that. Also, I hope you don't mind me using your icons.

So, is it working correctly for you guys?

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990

:D Thanks~ Super simple and quick to use.

-Two most desired 3rd party characters
-4 additional female characters and two more that can go either way
-Two most desired cut Smashers
-Ridley to shut up the crazed fans and Rool for another big fat antagonist
-Waluigi for his abnormal popularity (and to maybe get him more unique and used)
-4 new franchises represented (two of which are Rainfall protagonists)
-GHIRAHIM
-Strange number because first time I forgot Toon Link
-Just realized I forgot Captain Falcon... ****

SSB4 Complete.

Jakor

Smash Ace

:D Thanks~ Super simple and quick to use.

-Two most desired 3rd party characters
-4 additional female characters and two more that can go either way
-Two most desired cut Smashers
-Ridley to shut up the crazed fans and Rool for another big fat antagonist
-Waluigi for his abnormal popularity (and to maybe get him more unique and used)
-4 new franchises represented (two of which are Rainfall protagonists)
-GHIRAHIM
-Strange number because first time I forgot Toon Link

SSB4 Complete.
Awesome! Although I must remind you that you can save the image as a PNG, JPG or GIF file on your computer by clicking on "Save Image" at the bottom right of the Maker. And if you want to save your roster for modifying it later on, simply click on "Save Roster" and whenever you want to access it, click on "Load Custom Roster". That way you don't have to restart all over again when you close and re-open the Maker.

I added instructions to my original post.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It looks really nice, and I downloaded it. I'm missing Java, and clicked your link. However, it gives me a huge list of programs. I may sound like a moron, but which Java do I download? I'm terrible with this kind of stuff...

Jakor

Smash Ace
It looks really nice, and I downloaded it. I'm missing Java, and clicked your link. However, it gives me a huge list of programs. I may sound like a moron, but which Java do I download? I'm terrible with this kind of stuff...
Well, you must download a JDK and a JRE if I remember correctly. Then choose the link corresponding to your OS and install it on your computer in "Program Files/Java" or something else. You can also try downloading here.

If you want further help, you can always search on google, or post the error message here, and I'll see what I can do.

And thank you everyone for trying it! I really appreciate it. I won't have spent hours on this for nothing...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This is all well and good, but I think I'm fine with the way I make my roster images.

Nevertheless, good work.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I'm not sure how much CONTROL you have over this, but the window this opens in is a tad too tall. My taskbar cuts off the bottom of the window by a LITTLE. Not a major problem, just a little annoying. Especially since the "Save Roster Image" button is what gets cut off. I can still get to it with a bit of toying around though:

End product is great though.

You mentioned possibly making another version at some point, do you already have any ideas for what you want to do with it? I would suggest a better way of scrolling through icons, since I'm dumb and made a buttload for useless characters. On that point, I'd suggest having maybe a bar that already had a pool of POPULAR CHARACTER SUGGESTIONS, the TOP picks, ones you'll see on every roster, so that you don't have to search for them. To the side could be a "MORE" option to view aaaall of them. I suppose an option that only shows VETERANS in case you delete an icon on accident would be necessary too.

Jakor

Smash Ace
I'm not sure how much CONTROL you have over this, but the window this opens in is a tad too tall. My taskbar cuts off the bottom of the window by a LITTLE. Not a major problem, just a little annoying. Especially since the "Save Roster Image" button is what gets cut off. I can still get to it with a bit of toying around though:

End product is great though.

You mentioned possibly making another version at some point, do you already have any ideas for what you want to do with it? I would suggest a better way of scrolling through icons, since I'm dumb and made a buttload for useless characters. On that point, I'd suggest having maybe a bar that already had a pool of POPULAR CHARACTER SUGGESTIONS, the TOP picks, ones you'll see on every roster, so that you don't have to search for them. To the side could be a "MORE" option to view aaaall of them. I suppose an option that only shows VETERANS in case you delete an icon on accident would be necessary too.
Thanks for the feedback! Definitely appreciated. I'm taking notes of everything you said with my other ideas in a text file.

One thing I thought about is to be able to sort the list of characters by series, and now that you mention it, I could sort them by popularity as well. Now I'm also thinking about adding a Combo Box for choosing either "All characters", "Popular characters", "Veterans" and "Newcomers". I could maybe add every series to that too.

And yes, I will continue to upload new versions as time goes by, whenever I feel like I've added or changed enough stuff to publish a new version.

As for the screen not showing entirely, can you post a screen capture of that?

Downloading now...
Don't forget to leave feedback regarding your experience. It shouldn't take long to download anyway.

I have 17 downloads right now... not too bad.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
There you go.

Oh yeah, every time I open it, it says it can't launch because I don't have MSVCR71.DLL, but then opens anyway. Tell your program to make up its mind.

Awh man. I messed around with some of the names of characters but photobucket resized the image to ruin my fun.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I´ve done my roster and saved it.

What I need to do now?

Jakor

Smash Ace
I´ve done my roster and saved it.

What I need to do now?
If your roster is saved, you can load it later on. To upload your image, you must save the image in a directory and upload it on the forum with something like imageshack.us.

There you go.

Oh yeah, every time I open it, it says it can't launch because I don't have MSVCR71.DLL, but then opens anyway. Tell your program to make up its mind.

Awh man. I messed around with some of the names of characters but photobucket resized the image to ruin my fun.
I see. I will need to test my new version with different resolutions probably, or on another computer.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I wanted to put Crash Bandicoot and Coco Bandicoot in this roster,but I´ve don´t searched them :(

Jakor

Smash Ace
I wanted to put Crash Bandicoot and Coco Bandicoot in this roster,but I´ve don´t searched them :(
Well, go see Oasis_S to request characters. He's the one who made all the images you see in the Maker.

Nice roster, although there are maybe a bit too many Mario characters.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990

Updated, but in doing so, it became far more unrealistic. xD

D

Deleted member

Here is my first and last attempt, at least for a while. Note that the way it is set up is based on Brawl, and that all of Brawl's roster returns.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think maybe some others are also not able to see the "Save Roster Image" button?

Jakor

Smash Ace
I'm here to announce that the Version 2.0 of the Maker will have quite a few changes. Don't worry too much though, as all I'm doing is adding new features to it.

I'd also really like to hear more opinions from people who have tried it, or even those who haven't. If there is any feature you would like me to add or change in the Maker, just say so. Even if it's just about changing a button's place, rewording some things, etc. I'm taking all of your comments very seriously, as I want to offer the best possible experience to every user.

As soon as I'm done with Version 2.0, I'll make sure not only to put it here, but also to go onto other forums to introduce my Maker to even more people. And hopefully, the program will become popular enough that it will become the new standard to make rosters everywhere (Eh, I can dream too).

I've enjoyed the mostly positive reaction so far, as it's something I've spent a lot of hours into. I also want to let you know that the Version 2.0 definitely won't disappoint! I can't wait until you all try it by yourself. As you can guess, it's not completed yet, and I might not work much on it until Thursday, since I have a bunch of important homework to complete.

yani

Smash Lord
Tried it out, great program!! Thanks for putting it together :)

This was just for fun, not to be realistic

Jakor

Smash Ace
Tried it out, great program!! Thanks for putting it together :)

This was just for fun, not to be realistic
Thank you!

By the way, it shouldn't take too long before the version 2.0 to arrive. Prepare your minds to be blown, as it's going to be even awesomer.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Tried downloading it, but it doesn't work for me. It just says "Smash Roster Maker.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" every time I click on it. I extracted all the files and I even have the latest version of Java (well, I think I do, I have Version 6 Update 31) :/

Jakor

Smash Ace
Tried downloading it, but it doesn't work for me. It just says "Smash Roster Maker.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" every time I click on it. I extracted all the files and I even have the latest version of Java (well, I think I do, I have Version 6 Update 31) :/
Hmm... Can you post a screen capture of that? That way it will be easier to understand and see what the problem is.

By the way, the second version should be ready very soon, I'm making final adjustments and testing right now.

Color Man EXE

Smash Rookie
Wouldn't it be easier to know what game and company are the characters from? I will be glad if Jakor should add that to the Smash Bros. Roster Maker. Also, I will be glad if there will be more characters, because I just looked at all the characters that are in the Smash Bros. Roster Maker.

Jakor

Smash Ace
Wouldn't it be easier to know what game and company are the characters from? I will be glad if Jakor should add that to the Smash Bros. Roster Maker. Also, I will be glad if there will be more characters, because I just looked at all the characters that are in the Smash Bros. Roster Maker.
Sadly, there won't be any new characters in the version 2.0. You'll be pleasantly surprised by the rest though.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Whenever I try to open it, it looks black, white and scrunched up. Do you know the problem?

Jakor

Smash Ace
Whenever I try to open it, it looks black, white and scrunched up. Do you know the problem?
Update your java version to the latest to see if that's the problem. The link is in the first post.

Jakor

Smash Ace
The version 2.0 of the SSB Roster Maker is now available! Try it out!
I am pleased by the number of people who have downloaded the program so far, you don't know how much this means to me! :) I'll be happy to include even more features in later versions, you just have to mention what you would like to see added or changed in the Maker!

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Easier to find characters and easier to save the image. With those two problems dealt with, I don't have any ideas at the moment. Just good job!

My revised roster for Melee.

Top Bottom