• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to defeat Ice Climbers

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Mods: If this thread belongs on the IC boards, feel free to move it there... but the IC players are not my target audience haha.

I am tired of defeating newer players without effort just because they don't know the matchup. At my last tournament, I noticed that there is a staggering difference between people who know this matchup and people who don't. I found it easy to 4-stock half my pool because they fell for silly tricks. I felt that all I'd have to do is tell them what to do against me and it would be so much better for them.

The purpose of this thread is to help players who are unfamiliar with this matchup learn some basic tactics against them. I will reveal some of IC's goals in the general neutral game against most characters, what most characters can generally do against them, and finally some weaknesses and sure-ways to defeat them.

Lots of people say things like, "Oh, so-and-so tactic beats Ice Climbers." Sometimes what they say is true, but only to a degree. Sometimes I hear what they say and am able to counter what I know they will do.

For example, I know that Peach will dsmash, and it becomes EXTREMELY telegraphed, so I start doing things like preemptive blizzards, full hop fairs, sh bairs, ice blocks. I can just stand in front of her face waiting for it. In this thread I will tell you WHY peach's dsmash is strong against them, but why it is not so simple as spamming the move.

There is a difference between what people THINK we lose to, and stuff that we REALLY do lose to. I'll try to make it clear! Most IC players are really good with their main... so if I/Boback/Fly/Wobbles/ChuDat/Nintendude/Trail/Smasher89/The legendary fabled UberIce are in your area, hopefully this thread can give you a better idea of what to do against us.

So let's begin.

Synopsis:
#1 The mid-range
#2 Anti-walling
#3 Shield pressure, and pushing IC's off the ledge
#4 Getting beneath IC's
#5 Edgeguarding tips

#1 IC Weakness: Mid-range (THEIR BIGGEST WEAKNESS!)

For this matchup I define mid-range as the range outside their grab/fsmash/blizzard range but within their full wavedash length. Imagine where the tip of their blizzard would be... That's the spot! When you're inside this range, you've nerfed their greatest strengths. There is little need to shield pressure them because they can't do anything out of shield besides shield grab anyway. Just being there is already shield pressure. They can choose to walk forward, but some long pokes or projectiles will give you the advantage. They can wd, but since you are inside their full wd range, there will be quite a few frames (like 10~13 frames?) that they can't do anything while sliding. All you have to do is throw out a poke and their wavedash will be stopped.

Basically, when you are in this range you've reduced our options to these:
Retreat: Jump, WD away, Shield
Offense: Ice blocks, Blizzard, Walk up ftilt, dash attack, fair, turn around bair

Most importantly: If you are in this range, we cannot wavedash.

If this is enough for you, you can pretty much stop reading the thread here LOL.

We cannot threaten people at this range unless we go for some janky blizzard or ice block follow up. You can avoid these. If we choose not to throw projectiles, all we can do is try to get away from this range by either approaching or retreating. We can try to fsmash or short hop fair, but if you're in the right range we'll just whiff. This is a really specific range, but most characters can totally abuse it. Even low tiers.

IC's can play offensively by wavedashing around a lot and going for many quick options. We will try to very quickly get in different ranges and use attacks that lead to grabs. When people retreat to platforms, we can uair from below which will almost always beat out anything they do.

However, if you get into this range against us, you've stuffed ALL our good approaches and movement capability. Why? Because we can't wavedash anymore. It will force us to try to bite back in other ways, or go into defense mode.

What I like to do to wall off this range is camp by using a desynched Nana blizzard and a Popo short hop Ice Block. It is a basic wall strategy, and when you see and Ice Climbers attempting to do something like this, you can just think, "Okay, they are walling." At that point, you can run around and perhaps try to find an angle of attack from above, or just run away. Some characters have projectiles that will go through this wall and prevent it.

#2 IC Weakness: Anti-walling

Here's a quick disclaimer... Some characters are VERY easily walled if they don't know how to get around it. Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff are a couple examples. They have no projectiles to challenge us with. They can still get around it though.

The general idea of the wall is mainly to make Nana blizzard, and then Popo can react to whatever the opponent does. One of the main purposes I do this is so that I can maintain a defense WITHOUT using my shield. The blizzard acts as a shield. If they don't come and challenge me, I can just throw an Ice block with Popo and keep it going. But if I can tell that they're trying to get around it or go directly through it, I can react with Popo and try to punish.

If your character has a projectile that can beat this wall, use it and abuse it.
Fox - Laser
Falco - Laser*
Samus - Missile
Doc - Pill
Link/Ylink - Bomb
Peach - Turnip**
Pikachu - Diagonal Thunder Jolt
Sheik - Diagonal Needles

These projectiles counter ice blocks and blizzard because they are a. faster, b. come in at an angle that avoids ice blocks, or c. let you avoid having to get near IC's altogether. Fox's laser is really the only one that doesn't help the opponent approach, but all the rest do. Fox still wins anyway because he has the ability to run if he wants.

Don't underestimate these projectiles. They are a go-to strategy that can solidify your neutral game and force IC's to play YOUR game. Even if they are not extremely threatening, they nullify one IC's stronger defensive strategies. If you have a projectile that goes in diagonally, watch out for blizzard and ice block chasers. This is when Nana shoots a projectile and Popo quickly runs or wd's in for a follow up.

*Notes on Falco's laser
The neutral game against Falco is very interesting. If both players are conservative, the game will be reduced to a weird-looking war of attrition between Ice Blocks and Lasers. They will do about equal damage to each other if they are spamming. However, don't let anything EVER stop you from lasering. Lasers are so good because they can stop our wavedashes. Even though our Ice Blocks are doing damage, the Laser is a more powerful control tool because Falco has better mobility when we lose our wavedash. Laser your way into the mid-range and the game is yours.

The attrition battle is either even or slightly in IC's favor if Falco opts to take the ice block damage and keep lasering. If Falco chooses to shield or full jump, IC's are given a window to close in some space. Falco can watch and respond to this approach, but keep in mind that SHL is no longer safe at certain ranges. The laser desynch's IC's, so they can do a lot of things like short hop blizzard through the laser, dash attack through it, or wd fsmash through it which can be very devastating to Falco. Popo takes the hit and Nana continues with the attack.

An interesting element about the Laser vs Ice Block neutral game is that Ice Blocks will commonly force Falco to full jump. The neutral game turns into IC's either camping or trying to poke with uairs down from below, so Falco must find his way down to fight them, or perhaps bait them into jumping onto a platform. They usually won't though. This fight is very much a battle for positioning, and the Laser vs Ice Block/Blizzard combined with the IC uairs vs Falco on platforms neutral games will dictate that. Focus on that, and once you get a good hit, punish hard. If you separate them, you can chase Nana and kill her, but you don't always have to. You can also opt to pressure Popo with lasers because he is going to try to save her, so you can punish an obvious approach that he will make, or wait for Nana to come closer to you then kill her.

**Notes on Peach's turnip:
Peach's turnip is SOOOO strong in this matchup. If the Ice Climber approaches, pretty much all our options can be stuffed by dsmash. People think dsmash wins the matchup, but that by itself will actually lose because it is easy to spot and react to. It is a combination of turnips->aerial AND dsmashes that can win the matchup for Peach brainlessly. I've lost to Peaches who were very weak at this game simply because they knew what strategy to abuse. IC's best response to turnip is to wd back and catch it. If we shield the turnip, you can just follow up with an aerial and dsmash us which will likely shield poke at least one of us. Basically, if you have a turnip in our hand and are floating, we are SCARED and have almost no way to approach. A cool, high-level approach would be to go for aerials while holding the turnip in hand because the turnip alone scares us into retreating.

Toss the turnip, approach with an fair or dair, land, attack. Depending on what the turnip and aerial do, you have a good chance to follow up. If they catch the turnip, IC's options are to throw it back and try to combo off it, or roll past an approach that's too obvious and committed. Be ready for turnip catches because that is pretty much our strongest response to turnips apart than just trying to avoid everything. If they block the turnip and the aerial, they will be in shield stun, so you can dsmash. I like turnip->dair->dsmash because it is pretty much guaranteed pressure, damage, and separation. Turnip->fair is more reliable for spacing though. Just keep the pressure up.

If you don't play these characters... you can still get around their wall, or even prevent it altogether. Usually, I try to initiate a wall strategy by desynching. In order to desynch, I usually roll, but some other IC's like to shff desynch, or spot dodge. These are not safe if you're already in their face, so I usually roll.

You can just watch for the roll and punish it before any desynched moves come out, or follow the roll and get in their face again. You can pretty much walk toward them fearlessly and just throw out some fast moves or grab them. For example, walling only works for a little while agaisnt a Falcon who adapts quickly. A good Falcon will run away to platforms and try to hit me with a bair or stomp from above/behind me. Perhaps he will react to my roll and just knee me, which is good for him whether I get hit or block. If he sees me roll, he will just stuff any moves from coming out and stay in my face. If you play Falcon, react quickly!

Anti-blizzard wall stuff for no projectiles:
Fox - Run away, or stay close and react to desynchs

Falcon - Run away, or stay close and react to desynchs

Marth - Double fairs, late fairs, nair in place, dtilt. Just spam moves as fast as possible in that sweet mid-range, and we can't do anything. Sounds janky but it works.

Puff - When all else fails, just run away. It is VERY difficult for Puff to get through, but she can. Timed bairs can work between blizzards, or if Popo moves into a vulnerable spot. Trying to hit nana can be very difficult since we are good at protecting her, but Popo will always be the one doing stuff first, so try to hit him. The best possible way to win with Puff is to establish an early lead and then force IC's to approach her. (All this applies to Luigi as well. If Luigi gets the lead, IC's have a hard time catching him.)

Sheik - It is also difficult for Sheik to get through their wall, but persistence pays off. It is Sheik's goal to inch toward IC's and eventually start spamming fair on our shield. Make good use of platforms and timed diagonal needles and eventually you'll get in our face to the point where we are too slow to do anything in response. People say IC's win this matchup, but we only win when we trick Sheik into a trap or when Sheik messes up tech skill and gets grabbed.

Link - Link has this funny looking approach where he can full hop nair on top of shields, use the really late hitbox, and then double jump. J666 did this to me and it proved to be somewhat hard to deal with, because it allowed him some opportunities to pull bombs or bait my uairs. Otherwise Link should just try to keep throwing projectiles until he can get close and pressure with fairs and jabs.

Peach: If you float over the grounded blizzard and ice block height, you generally won't have much trouble getting close to IC's. IC's main tools against this height are short hop blizzard, fsmash, ballsy wd fsmash/usmash, fair, turn around bair. Also watch out for the hammer hitbox on short hop ice block. You can't always just go in effortlessly, but that float height is still really as long as you watch for our counter options.

*Important note* If you actually do get hit by the blizzard, quickly DI or SDI up and away so that you don't get grabbed.

Or you can be a baller like a LVL 9 CPU and SDI up and towards IC's and punish.

Another simple wall strategy that doesn't include projectiles is turnaround bairs. If you know how to deal with Marth's double fairs, you can deal with these too! Just don't run into them. IC's bairs autocancel. It's a really good move so don't challenge it too much. Just focus on getting into the mid-range so that even the bair will whiff, and then do things that will prevent more bairs.

#3 IC Weakness: Shield Pressure by the ledge

So you've used your projectiles and movement to corner us! We are now sitting ducks! Last weekend I lost to Lucien's Sheik because he said "I just tried to make you shield." Sometimes, it's really that simple.

The ideal situation for any character is to be in our mid range with our backs to the ledge. It is your GOAL to force us into this position. Many other characters can fight back while in this position... but IC's can do so little to get out of it. So what will you do next?

When people see IC's shielding, many get kinda scared to throw out attacks because they don't want to get shield grabbed. This is 2012! Don't be afraid. Just don't mess up. You should know by now how to space against shields.

There is another rule though that you should remember: They have two kinds of shield grabs. One is the normal shield grab, but the other is the wd shield grab. This is why you can't just throw out an fsmash or ftilt as Marth, because you will get wd shield grabbed. You CAN, however, throw out dtilt and be safe.

Another thing to note is that only one Ice Climber can grab the ledge at a time, so you can abuse this too. Push us off the ledge with attacks that have a lot of shield stun, and eventually one Ice Climber will have to use up its double jump to get back on.

Here are some character-specific moves that you might not have thought of. Be creative. We are sitting ducks if we are shielding by the ledge.

Fox: Afraid of missing L-cancels on our double shield? Try a quick Jab->Jab->Shine. The openings are very small, and every time I try to shield grab this, I usually get stuffed. It's probably a better idea for IC's to cc grab or something, but if you shine us we will slide off the ledge. In fact, it is Fox's whole game plan to get random shines that will push us to the ledge. Fox's usmash also has so much stun that it is difficult to shield grab. If we're not shooting Ice Blocks, Fox can fearlessly run up and shine or run up and usmash. Generally I'll try to protect myself with something like an ftilt or bair, or even fsmash if I try to make a hard guess as to when he will approach... but just keep dash dancing and you can make US whiff. If you are confident in your L-cancels against our double shield, just proceed to destroy us. Watch out for double light shield, or one light shield + one normal shield.

Falco: Ftilt and Fsmash are actually really good, and sometimes better than aerials. Laser ftilt, for example, cannot be shield grabbed when spaced correctly and will push us off the edge. Fsmash pushes us SO far that we can't shield grab any fsmash that isn't point blank. Perhaps we can shield SDI and shield grab, but it's still a good pushing move. You can also dair in place which will stuff any attempt we make at wding forward or dash attacking.

Falcon: Learn to L-cancel all your aerials VS our shield and suddenly everything becomes safe. Watch any match of S2J vs. Fly Amanita and you can see how strong aerial->gentleman is in this matchup. Falcon has to be super careful since he is the #1 easiest character to kill from one grab, so just nail L-cancels and you're fine. I think Hax is amazing at this matchup because he maneuvers in a way that never directly challenges IC's strengths. Just watch and learn here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPQq1k08YBU There are many times in this set where he just makes Fly want to approach and just bairs him for it.

Marth: Same as the anti-blizzard stuff. Spam late fairs, double fairs, nairs, dtilt. Fsmash only when you know it will connect, or if it will be a tipper on our shield. This matchup is so systematic that it's kinda disgusting for me to watch when Marth does it properly. I think this is why Ken was good at it and M2K was not... Ken was not afraid to just get in IC's face and spam moves.

Sheik: Spam shffl fair as fast as possible. Lead into jabs or tilts to stuff potential shield grabs, but jab is better. Sheik might have trouble getting into this position, but once she is there, she wins.

Puff: First of all, congratulations for getting in. Try to push us off with bairs or fsmashes, and force that double jump from one of the IC's. You will get a sure-kill on one of the IC's after that.

Ganon: You don't really need to challenge us directly. If you use the tip of your fair on our shield, it will generally only take one fair to push us really really far. Ganon has some trouble getting through the wall as well, but he really doesn't have to. If you want, though, you can use the platforms to approach at a diagonal angle. Otherwise, just stay at a good, Marth-like range, don't get grabbed, and bait out responses.

Doc: Use moves with high shield stun and push back. Jab, dsmash, delayed nair, and fair are pretty good. Dsmash is the best, and pretty much a go-to move if you get near us. IC's and Doc are actually very similar to each other, and just like the IC's ditto, whoever dsmashes first has a chance to secure the stock. Pills lead into any of these pretty well. (IC's usually need some roundabout way to hit Doc. They are equal to each other when it comes to direct confrontation on the ground, so as Doc just try to keep the upper hand.)

Peach: Honestly, Peach doesn't even need this position to do well. She wins with a solid, systematic neutral game. Use the mid-range to float above our heads and approach diagonally, or do low fc nairs to pressure.

Mario: Mario has a decent matchup vs IC's. Fair and fsmash have good range, and dsmash pushes our shields. His short hop in general is fast and can cover some horizontal distance, so do basic shield pressure once you're in our face and we can't do too much to respond. Mario has a bit of a speed advantage in the mid/close range. Your frames are a little better than ours, and you can follow up many things into the jab combo to make yourself safe. You can whiff punish with fsmash. Just don't get shield grabbed.

Luigi: Once Luigi gets in the range to prevent IC's wavedashes and projectile walls, which is easier said than done, he is in great shape. His double aerials are excellent shield pressure that push our shields out of shield grab range, and he is the only character to match our wavedash speed. It is not difficult to combat IC's once he has momentum because his ground mobility is superior. It is best to secure a lead first with Luigi and force IC's to approach him, because their projectiles are good at setting up defense against direct ground approaches when they have the lead. Forcing Luigi to jump makes it so much easier to fight him.

Keep in mind that one escape method is to roll past you. Sometimes I can just tell when someone is itching to commit. When they commit fully and get too close, I can roll past them and suddenly I am in the better position. Just stay in the mid range and use longer pokes that will eventually push us off.

Some people think that it's not good to grab IC's, but it can be okay as long as you choose a grab that can hit both of them. Grabs with hitboxes and invincible throws are good. Spacie's dthrows and most characters' fthrows/dthrows have some of these properties. Bthrows can cause separation, but will get you punished if you grab Nana and leave Popo to hit you.

#4 IC Weakness: Getting beneath them

IC's cannot challenge characters who are beneath them because their dair sucks. They have to find other ways to come back down. They can float down to the edge, try to air dodge down, or perhaps use side-B to change their trajectory. Watch everything they do and try to stay beneath them for as long as possible until you know you can hit them for sure. Our attacking options for coming down are dair, fair, and blizzard, and they are all pretty bad. Keep in mind that this weakness is not as exploitable as the others, but there are times that you will find yourself in this situation. Just think this: "Their dair sucks, and they fall slow."

There are two main ways to get beneath them: launching moves and baiting jumps.

Launching moves:
Falcon: Raptor boost is a classic. For some reason it can be difficult to shield grab, which makes it safe. Not all the time though. You can challenge our jumps with this move, though, and if it connects, it's a free kill on one of the IC's.

Fox: RANDOMLY running up and usmashing can be excellent. It works exactly the same as Falcon's raptor boost. We can't really shield grab this because it stuns and pushes us, and if it connects you can guarantee a chance to kill at least one of us.

Samus: Unlike Fox and Falcon, Samus doesn't need to aggressively approach to launch IC's. Rather, her missile game can force IC's to approach. The best moves to try to bait them into are dsmash, dtilt, and utilt. Samus is great at pressuring their landing and has an easy time killing Nana. The dsmash near the ledge that launches us off to the side is the most dangerous thing Samus can do to IC's, so standing near the ledge shooting missiles is actually a decent strategy because IC's need to really commit to approaching and put themselves at risk to be dsmashed. IC's are strong at fighting crouch cancels because their main attacking moves are smashes and grabs, so don't rely on cc.

If you choose to run away, our main strategy to catch people is by using short or full hop uairs. If your character falls fast enough and we miss the uair, you can fall down and get under us.

#5 Edgeguarding IC's tips

Keep one thought in mind: We cannot sweetspot. All you have to do is wait.
Unless we use the up-b cancel nanapult trick on the ledge, in which case, just get surprised and flabbergasted!

Generally, the best way to recover with IC's is recover high with side-B. This can be hard to punish, but generally all you have to do is try to stay close to where they land. Even if you failed to hit them, you can just wait for them to come down and re-establish your position and get into the mid range.

How to edgeguard up-B: This confuses some people. Sometimes they don't know which one to attack! But this is actually a terrible recovery move that is easy to punish once you understand its properties.

- Nana is invincible and has a hitbox during her initial ascent. Wait until she descends.
- Popo goes much higher and has no hitbox. You can hit him during his ascent or on his way down. S2J is crazy and likes to knee Popo immediately.
- No matter how far into the stage Popo flies, Nana will ALWAYS choose to land near the edge. If you want to kill Nana, just wait in that spot, do not challenge her ascent, and wait for her to land. If there is a platform where she can land, she will land on the outside edge of the platform.

Teleporting properties: Popo's up-B will teleport Nana to him from great distances, but only under certain conditions:
- Nana must not be in hit stun
- Nana must not be in a tumble state
- Nana must not be grabbed

Popo's side-B can cancel almost any move Nana is doing (including taunt) and teleport her to him from short distances. Otherwise, he will just do a solo side-B.

In order to save Nana, she must still have her double jump. It is the only way for her to get out of the tumble state and allow her to join Popo in a recovery move. This means IC's can only recover from low, or about parallel to the ledge.

Synched side-B has very little lag. IC's can try to hit you with this and you can't really punish it. Solo side-B is very laggy and only has horizontal or falling movement. If he chooses to hit you, you can crouch cancel this and run toward wherever he lands.

Hopefully if you understand these things, you will never get confused by their recovery again. IC's up-B is really, really free.

* Conclusion *

I hope now you understand more about this unique character! This thread should give you many ideas. Even if you have zero experience in the matchup, this thread should be comprehensive enough that you could test out these strategies against computers, see how they work, and then apply them to real matches.

While other matchups are very dynamic (Falco vs Fox, Falcon vs marth) with many many options to choose from, fighting against IC's and their gimmicks can actually prove to be very systematic! Some characters, like Peach and Marth, can honestly win this matchup without even thinking. They only have to think and plan beforehand, then execute the strategy.

Hopefully I will get the chance to play people who read this thread, so that more people will know what to do in the matchup and help advance the metagame. I think IC's have historically been an important part of the metagame, but very enigmatic. They are one of the few characters that are actually good enough to beat Sheik and Puff.

Maybe this thread might even attract more IC players! But maybe not, since I just gave away all their weaknesses...

TL;DR IC'S BECOME ZANGIEF ONCE YOU TAKE AWAY THEIR WAVEDASH

Shoutouts to Russia, Fly_Amanita, indigenous Alaskans, and Red/White Santa Claus Climbers (Nana is in front when she is red/orange.)

Kyandid

Smash Cadet
I'm still a really bad player, but ICs have always given me way more trouble than I like to admit. This guide seems really helpful, though, and I'll definitely try to work on it. I always thought of the matchup in a really binary 'turtle or go balls-deep' sense, and I think that's where I was falling apart.

[Falco's] Laser filt, for example, cannot be shield grabbed when spaced correctly and will push us off the edge. Fsmash pushes us SO far that we can't shield grab any fsmash that isn't point blank.
This in particular really helped. Thanks for writing this!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha

"edge guarding" ic's with marth is more like... chase after them when they go high. it's not really "edge" guarding at all. if they go low though it's really easy.

thanks kyandid, it's guys like you who i'm trying to help.

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
wow thank you very much for that insightful comment, that helped me figure out some things i was doing wrong with ICs

Cummings

Smash Apprentice
Ledyard, CT (Right next to Foxwoods/Mohegan Sun)
This is Interesting... bookmarked, ganna read daily because my roommate is learning ICs and hes slowly getting quite good.

besides that though, i really like that your kind of "giving the enemy the keys" in a sense, even though the players who are a problem for you already know this sort of information, it's still admirable in a way.

Beat!

Smash Master
haha

"edge guarding" ic's with marth is more like... chase after them when they go high. it's not really "edge" guarding at all. if they go low though it's really easy.

thanks kyandid, it's guys like you who i'm trying to help.
Patience is really key for Marth if ICs recover high.

Also, good guide.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
This is Interesting... bookmarked, ganna read daily because my roommate is learning ICs and hes slowly getting quite good.

besides that though, i really like that your kind of "giving the enemy the keys" in a sense, even though the players who are a problem for you already know this sort of information, it's still admirable in a way.
haha yeah. i find it pointless to hide this stuff, because it is not so fun for me to have a really easy match and demoralize my opponent, especially in tournament. it helps the metagame to make this sort of thing common knowledge.

good luck vs your roommate, but of course i'm rooting for him because IC's are the best

Patience is really key for Marth if ICs recover high.

Also, good guide.
thanks haha

Kal

Smash Champion
I was giggling my *** off when I saw the title, just thinking about a gif of Peach down smashing Ice Climbers. Came in to find a really awesome guide. Nicely done. <3

kd-

Smash Lord
I was giggling my *** off when I saw the title, just thinking about a gif of Peach down smashing Ice Climbers. Came in to find a really awesome guide. Nicely done. <3
Lmfao.

As I'm learning to play Ice Climbers myself, it's incredibly frustrating if they're in that wavedash range. I get crushed by Falcons, Peaches and Marths, they get in that range unconsciously and then just throw out moves :[

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
I just skimmed but I didn't see anything about camping platforms?

Doesn't it rap IC since it desyncs them, allowing you to separate and pick them apart. their aerials aren't that amazing to be worried about, etc.

i use to just jump to the highest platform, then whent hey hopped up i'd run away and quickly strike while underneathe them. rinse and repeat

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
if ur getting 4 stocked by chokonater u got a ****ing problem. learn the matchup nubs.

any ****ing garbage *** ic players who think they are any good, get your ***** to fc and $20 mm me.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Canismash - yea camping top platform is legit. I guess I didn't talk about platforms too much, but its also kinda what i meant by "running away."

Ic dittos are annoying at first but u can learn certain things to do. Just gotta get the first hit lol. They punish themselves super hard.

Lol trail. That's why I'm tryna help them!

I wanna side bet that fly will beat trail e-z :p all trail does is troll. HoChiMinhTroll.

Thanks for the feedback dudes

:phone:

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
Canismash - yea camping top platform is legit. I guess I didn't talk about platforms too much, but its also kinda what i meant by "running away."

Ic dittos are annoying at first but u can learn certain things to do. Just gotta get the first hit lol. They punish themselves super hard.

Lol trail. That's why I'm tryna help them!

I wanna side bet that fly will beat trail e-z :p all trail does is troll. HoChiMinhTroll.

Thanks for the feedback dudes

all trail does is troll and beat people's ***** u mean. im gonna beat fly 2-0 in dittos and ill beat his 2ndaries with my 2ndaries ez, real talk.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
[glow]Great work writing this. I really need work on this matchup so I'll read the rest later.[/glow]

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Great work Choknater! Very solid read. It's always good to have multi-character applications and tips about spacing in a guide like this. The only constructive criticism I could add would be that more characters should be included in some of these applications(like where one part says "low tiers can do something about this too") and maybe a tip about how to handle wobbling in some way(breakout threshold, requirement for wobbling like nana being there and synced, and how to make use of time being wobbled).

Mahone

Smash Champion
Great thread

I've been trying to learn this matchup recently, so this really helps.

I find with puff that sh bair doesn't seem to good, i feel like if you bair their shield(s) and land they are fast enough to wd oos towards you and punish...

Am i missing the lcancel because of 2 shields or do you agree with this?

Also, i have a really hard time knowing what to do at that midrange... like u said, i normally just stand there and if they try to approach i just retreating nair and it is AMAZING, but if they choose to retreat i feel like i don't have the speed or a good move to stop them... I really don't wanna play this matchup campy, so do you have any advice for how to chase them with puff?

Also, also, nana-blizzard to popo upsmash has been ****** me, any advice for how to avoid that setup or punish it if i know they are going to do it? Also, also, also, where i normally like to float, fsmash hits me, do u have sorta a sweetspot range jiggs should be at in this matchup when she isn't in the midrange?

Even if you don't answer any of this ****, you've been really helpful, thanks man.

Avalancer

Smash Journeyman
Marc also made a (dutch) large post on how to beat Ice Climbers. Both very helpful for others, not so helpful for IC mainers lol
Very good post though, it will help a lot of people **** our kind.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Great work Choknater! Very solid read. It's always good to have multi-character applications and tips about spacing in a guide like this. The only constructive criticism I could add would be that more characters should be included in some of these applications(like where one part says "low tiers can do something about this too") and maybe a tip about how to handle wobbling in some way(breakout threshold, requirement for wobbling like nana being there and synced, and how to make use of time being wobbled).
hm thanks! i think i will add some.

when it comes to wobbling... you know... i actually don't know those things. hahaha! i have only been wobbled a couple times in my life, and when it happens my thought process goes like this: "Mash mash" and if I don't escape, it's "hold dat death and don't get grabbed again"

Great thread

I've been trying to learn this matchup recently, so this really helps.

I find with puff that sh bair doesn't seem to good, i feel like if you bair their shield(s) and land they are fast enough to wd oos towards you and punish...

Am i missing the lcancel because of 2 shields or do you agree with this?
i can agree with this. i think even the likes of mario and doc are able to punish puff's fade-away bair with a wd out of shield, so i'm quite sure ic's can do it as well. if they're shielding, what you can try instead is a late aerial. if you do it late, you will stun them a bit and you will be able to avoid a sure punish from their wd out of shield. you could do something like a late bair, and then follow with another quick aerial that could stuff an attempt at wd out of shield. this should be safer than just using one aerial at the peak of a short hop and fading away.

Also, i have a really hard time knowing what to do at that midrange... like u said, i normally just stand there and if they try to approach i just retreating nair and it is AMAZING, but if they choose to retreat i feel like i don't have the speed or a good move to stop them... I really don't wanna play this matchup campy, so do you have any advice for how to chase them with puff?

Also, also, nana-blizzard to popo upsmash has been ****** me, any advice for how to avoid that setup or punish it if i know they are going to do it? Also, also, also, where i normally like to float, fsmash hits me, do u have sorta a sweetspot range jiggs should be at in this matchup when she isn't in the midrange?

Even if you don't answer any of this ****, you've been really helpful, thanks man.
it is really really difficult to approach ic's with puff. in fact, it was fighting against puff that i came up with the roll to blizzard wall in the first place, because puff has such a hard time catching the roll unless she is in the perfect spot to react to it.

there is, however, a certain angle of bair and fair that has stopped my wall... i think you need to fight an ic's for a while to get a feel for the timing. it's a timing attack that comes down diagonally with bair or fair once the blizzard has ended. eventually i had to learn to respect this and to position my attacks and projectiles better.

keep trying things because i'm not really sure of the approaches myself. when i theorized about the matchup in my head, it seemed like the main way for both characters to win is to grab a lead and then start playing defensively... but i'm sure both ic's and puff have their ways to approach.

chudat, for example, has a very different neutral game compared to me. while i like to wall her, he likes to approach by facing away from puff and wding toward her with ic's back turned. this gives him a chance to quickly bair if puff gets close, since it's their only aerial that can challenge hers.

i think, though, you can start by trying to defeat their wavedash. if that's what's scaring you, then try to prevent it with things similar to that retreating nair. the reason i can beat puffs is because i devised a strategy that can combat her wall of pain... think simple, singular, and it's usually a good place to start.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
sweet =)

question: I saw that someone's advice for Falco vs Ice Blocks was to keep lasering and the control works out in Falco's favor. However, lasers make ICs auto desync Ice Block and lasers can barely come out and if they do then Falco takes more damage and can't really move off of the laser or with the laser usually, both of which are important for control. At least, this has been my experience both observing and playing against desynced ice blocks. Am I missing something or does laser spam eventually work out in Falco's favor somehow?

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Just re-read it. This thread is very comprehensive. You've got such a good understanding of your character dude, it's impressive. Good ****.

Reading this was interesting to me. The whole article is very contradictory to my Melee philosophy/how I've personally built my playstyle. However, it also helps me with my lack of character knowledge weakness that I have. I quoted you on two things that I wanted to comment on.

While other matchups are very dynamic (Falco vs Fox, Falcon vs marth) with many many options to choose from, fighting against IC's and their gimmicks can actually prove to be very systematic! Some characters, like Peach and Marth, can honestly win this matchup without even thinking. They only have to think and plan beforehand, then execute the strategy.

I'm not going to say that this isn't true, because I haven't attacked this matchup the same ways that you describe. But I think "without thinking" is a bit of an exaggeration. I think that at higher levels of play, the game slowly becomes more and more "Player vs Player", "Mind vs Mind" as opposed to "Character vs Character," and even in much more lopsided matchups, even though character advantages/weaknesses definitely definitely matter, "Player vs Player" is still the most important factor.

But again, that's half speculation, so take it for what you will.

Hopefully I will get the chance to play people who read this thread, so that more people will know what to do in the matchup and help advance the metagame. I think IC's have historically been an important part of the metagame, but very enigmatic. They are one of the few characters that are actually good enough to beat Sheik and Puff.
I really like IC's role in Melee history. Really cool character and cool players doing cool things with them. :)

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Good read. A few things:
If your character has a projectile that can beat this wall, use it and abuse it.

Fox - Laser
Falco - Laser*
Samus - Missile
Doc - Pill
Link/Ylink - Bomb
Peach - Turnip**
Pikachu - Diagonal Thunder Jolt
Sheik - Diagonal Needles
It's worth noting that a lot of these only stop a very particular type of defensive game. A few of these projectiles I don't really view as threatening.

The neutral game against Falco is very interesting. If both players are conservative, the game will be reduced to a weird-looking war of attrition between Ice Blocks and Lasers. They will do about equal damage to each other if they are spamming. However, don't let anything EVER stop you from lasering. Lasers are so good because they can stop our wavedashes. Even though our Ice Blocks are doing damage, the Laser is a more powerful control tool because Falco has better mobility when we lose our wavedash. Laser your way into the mid-range and the game is yours.
Lasers aren't very threatening for ICs. Shooting ice block once generally creates a big enough opening to get sort of close to Falco, and then once reasonably close, he needs to be picky about when he lasers due to SH blizzard, squall OoS -> blizzard, etc.

Dsmash shouldn't be shield-poking a lot unless you're forgetting to light-shield.

Toss the turnip, approach with an fair or dair, land, attack. Depending on what the turnip and aerial do, you have a guaranteed follow up. If they catch the turnip, you can attack. If they block the turnip and the aerial, they will be in shield stun, so you can dsmash. I like turnip->dair->dsmash because it is pretty much guaranteed pressure, damage, and separation. Turnip->fair is more reliable for spacing though.
Catching a turnip doesn't give Peach a guaranteed follow-up; it's also worth noting that if Nana isn't around and Peach is floating sufficiently low, Popo can just toss the turnip back at Peach and combo that into a grab. Turnips are still really good, though.

Marth - Double fairs, late fairs, nair in place, dtilt. Just spam moves as fast as possible in that sweet mid-range, and we can't do anything. Sounds janky but it works.

Marth: Same as the anti-blizzard stuff. Spam late fairs, double fairs, nairs, dtilt. Fsmash only when you know it will connect, or if it will be a tipper on our shield. This matchup is so systematic that it's kinda disgusting for me to watch when Marth does it properly. I think this is why Ken was good at it and M2K was not... Ken was not afraid to just get in IC's face and spam moves.
I don't find fair very threatening. It's easy to avoid and it really doesn't do much to stop proficient camping, unless ICs are at the edge, but that's not saying much since almost everything Marth has that won't get him grabbed is good against ICs by the edge.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I'm not going to say that this isn't true, because I haven't attacked this matchup the same ways that you describe. But I think "without thinking" is a bit of an exaggeration. I think that at higher levels of play, the game slowly becomes more and more "Player vs Player", "Mind vs Mind" as opposed to "Character vs Character," and even in much more lopsided matchups, even though character advantages/weaknesses definitely definitely matter, "Player vs Player" is still the most important factor.
mm, maybe you're right. perhaps i exaggerated in saying "without thinking." i think, more accurately, what i was trying to say was that you can't simply do whatever you want to do at that high level. the options become really reduced if both players have mastered the neutral game, so maybe the thinking comes at that point. getting the edge will require some extra thought. i get you

sweet =)

question: I saw that someone's advice for Falco vs Ice Blocks was to keep lasering and the control works out in Falco's favor. However, lasers make ICs auto desync Ice Block and lasers can barely come out and if they do then Falco takes more damage and can't really move off of the laser or with the laser usually, both of which are important for control. At least, this has been my experience both observing and playing against desynced ice blocks. Am I missing something or does laser spam eventually work out in Falco's favor somehow?
hm, i think that as long as falco is outside of full wd range lasers are pretty good. the ice block might cause you to full jump but it's not so bad. the experience i'm going off of is my recent sets with DP who was really really campy, and i feel like as long as falco chooses the right times to close the distance then he's good. fly provided a good response to this though:
Lasers aren't very threatening for ICs. Shooting ice block once generally creates a big enough opening to get sort of close to Falco, and then once reasonably close, he needs to be picky about when he lasers due to SH blizzard, squall OoS -> blizzard, etc.
this is a good tip for me, actually. whenever i get into an ice block vs laser war, i usually just keep shooting them. i think i should watch for when falco full jumps or shields, and use that as an opportunity to close some distance. maybe not get in his face, but get into a space where SHL is no longer safe. that's what you're saying, right?
I don't find fair very threatening. It's easy to avoid and it really doesn't do much to stop proficient camping, unless ICs are at the edge, but that's not saying much since almost everything Marth has that won't get him grabbed is good against ICs by the edge.
well, it's pretty good once he actually gets in. i like late fairs as marth because it leads to so many things.

i can agree that marth has very few options when ic's are camping well, especially on FD. when there's a platform there, marth can use it to come down with an attack at an angle. unless popo spots it right away and tries to come forward with a uair, marth's angle of attack can potentially allow him to get in our space. however, most marths i play run away at this point. haha!

thanks guys for the discussion, suggestions, and questions. i'll take a look over it today and make some changes

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Yeah, fair is definitely good once Marth lands it. I just think it's tough for him to land it in the first place.

Platforms shouldn't be helping him much; ICs shouldn't be spacing themselves so that he can come down and hit them in such a way in the first place. For example, if Marth is on the left side of Battlefield and I'm not in a position to be pressuring him, I'll generally camp just below the leftmost side of the right platform; it's hard for Marth to actually get much use out of the platforms in this case.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hmm, right right, good idea

it's funny because now that i've written this thread, i am thinking more from the other character's perspective. when you said that, i was like "okay, as marth, how do i fight that?"

Spyro

Smash Ace
I think it's really good to start thinking about what you need to do as the other character. I think that if you understand the other side of the match up, you could start getting more reads.

Mahone

Smash Champion
Thanks for answering my questions, i tried some of ur stuff today along with some new ideas and it really helped

Im mainly training for chu, do you have any thoughts on things he is weak at vs puff? Things he is strong at?

Last time i played him my main issue was Sopo, he would get like an average of 60% before dying...

I feel like there should be a simple gameplan for puff to beat sopo, i have some ideas, but id like to hear your thoughts on that

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I thought it was pretty common sense that beating IC's involves spacing just outside their range. Beating anyone actually. IC's just get high output for punishing mistakes compared to other characters.

The problem players have with SoPo is they ASSUME they can go more aggressive against him because he doesn't have as much coverage/options as Nana, but it really isn't the case. What worked against two characters is going to keep working against only one. Just keep playing safe- It's certainly something Chu does without Nana.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
"Most importantly: If you are in this range, we cannot wavedash.

If this is enough for you, you can pretty much stop reading the thread here LOL."

best part is, before I even got to this line, I had already walked away knowing what this meant for marth..went to the kitchen, got a drink, walked back, sat down, thought life was good, and then read that I could stop reading the thread now if i wanted

Top Bottom