• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Akuma Jump

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Hey guys!
So when I was playing yesterday I accidently found a new AT, at least I never heard of it or saw it before!

So, here is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_xWEe3Qr18

It explains everything, but if you got any questions feel free to ask!
You should start trying it with Snake, as he probably has the most visible effect compared to his other Jumps. And then going over to your own character(s).

I would love to see what other characters may get out of this, as I mostly tested stuff with Snake, but I'm sure some other characters might also get some interesting applications for it :)

If this already is known then I'm sry, but I never saw someone doing this before and I heard about it either o.o
And if its not known I have a theory why noone found it so far: Simply the fact that most characters dont get much of a difference anyway and the Snake not jumping much AND that this is a setting that just doesnt happen very frequently.

And btw. I just named it Akuma Jump as this is my mostly known nickname, and well, I found it, and didnt know how to call it lol
(I had other names before I finally found out how this technique actually really works)
Maybe we should call it Weird Jump? Stupid Jump? XD
Idk.

And also pls dont complain about the quality, thats all I can get :p

Greetz, Akuma!

E:
Snake as seen in the video (Best application of all characters probably)

For Falco its interesting!
He can directly jump from from BFs middle platform to high platform.
(Short Hop not high enough, FJ and DJ go TOO high to pressure good!
He can AJ-Dair/Bair to Jab/grab as a good pressure!

With Peach I always go into float ^^

With Luigi he gets a jump that goes DIRECTLY from BF platform to the other near to zero lag with dair! .___.

Samus can also get better from Platform to Platform now on BF! Use of AJ instead of SH.

MK gets a smaller jump than DJ. Seems handy. You can retreat pretty well with on a platform.

For Ice Climbers its interesting!
You can get that Nana will land EXACXTLY on the platform with her jump and popo stays below! New Desynch technique lol (Very risky and probably useless though :/)

Jigglypuff
gets a jump that has a high nearly to that one of her last jump :O
She can now transfer BF platform in a VERY quick jump with the perfect distance!
I can see this being useful for Jiggs mains :o (Everything helps to make a ****ty character better!)
Could also help a bit at edgeguarding :>

ZSS gets a high thats put her directly on BFs highest platform from the side platforms!

For DDD you get at least a very cool Jump that lets you immediatelly Dair PERFECTLY! (You Auto Cancel RIGHT before he lands, with DJ / SH you are longer in the air and could easlily jump or something, with AJ there is no time inbetween the Dair and landing xD)
For other characters you seem to get nothing "special" (extremely low jump for example or see below)

I ONLY TESTED IF THEY CAN GET ON TO THE HIGHEST PLATFORM BETTER/QUICKER OR TO THE OTHER PLATFORM. BOTH STARTING FROM THE MIDDLE PLATFORM!

IMPORTANT: I DIDNT INCLUDE SPECIALS INTO MY TESTS! IT COULD BE THAT SPECIAL WILL AD SOME MOMENTUM SO THAT ITS ENOUGH OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT!!!

I ALSO DIDNT TEST ANY LEDGE TRICKS!

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I'm gonna rage so hard if he can float like peach with those aerials!
Well, i've never seen it before, but I could be wrong. Nice find. Looks like it could be pretty decent platform technology.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Holy ****! This AT could make :metaknight: even BETTER.

Hmmm...I wonder if this could be useful with :wolf:'s Dair and blaster.

I think you should rename this the "Ghost edge AT"

:018:

:phone:

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
So question.
Because it seems like the Akuma jump messes up momentum, have you tested on lucario D-air? Just curious to see if it counter acts how it stops momentum. A falling d-air off platforms would be god like for him.

Teehee. Akuma jump. How awesome does it feel to name a technique? :D

Life

Smash Hero
^The best part is the confusion that will result from Akuma not being in this game. (the character versus the player)

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
What happens with stall-then-fall moves like sonic's and gnw's dair? Or stall ones like fox's Shine and ROBs dair?

Life

Smash Hero
^I'd assume they work the same way as if they were shorthopped (since this is basically just a really low SH). Don't have the time to go play with this myself though.

Flayl

Smash Hero
So this is like the edge-cancelled jump but it does this mini floaty thing instead of a full jump. Weird. Nice find.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
This was pretty hard to do when I tested it out, but maybe I just suck :\

Oh well, it doesn't matter for the characters I play :D

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I'm curious how this works with glides or Peach.
I am 99% sure Peach can't do this because the inputs are the same as setting up a Float. Don't have my Wii on me atm but considering the requirements, Peach shouldn't be able to do this - she should just go straight into a Float

Can't believe it never even crossed my mind to try out 'Floating' with other characters...a very nice find :)

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Probably should be in gameplay tactial imo

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
First I think akuma jump is just an additional jump high. It always has the Full Hop Animation!!!

Now a List of stuff I tested with characters not in the vid.

I mostly test new BF platform options, if its just a high change and nothing special like a float!

For Falco its interesting!

He can directly jump from from BFs middle platform to high platform.
(Short Hop not high enough, FJ and DJ go TOO high to pressure good!
He can AJ-Dair/Bair to Jab/grab as a good pressure!

I will test Lucario and Peach now:)

E:

With Peach I always go into float ^^

For Lucario nothing speacial.

He can now jump from one platform to the other on Battlefield, with SH he cant reach it, with full jump he goes WAAAAAY high.
It doesnt mess up with dair or something.

E2: With Luigi he gets a jump that goes DIRECTLY from BF platform to the other near to zero lag with dair! .___.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Holy ****! This AT could make :metaknight: even BETTER.

Hmmm...I wonder if this could be useful with :wolf:'s Dair and blaster.

I think you should rename this the "Ghost edge AT"

:018:

I don't see how it would benefit mk more than other characters. What's he gonna do that he can't already do ? dair or sl is about the bread/butter of it.

nothing to get your panties in a not over

nice find akuma :) i never heard of this
Probably should be in gameplay tactial imo
does it really matter that much? :glare:

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Samus can also get better from Platform to Platform now on BF! Use of AJ instead of SH.

MK gets a smaller jump than DJ.

For Ike its pretty much the same as SH.

Fox is very similar to SH.

Kirby nothing special.

Bowser nothing.

Diddy nothing.

Sheik nothing.

Link nothing.

Pit nothing.

//E1:

For Ice Climbers its interesting!

You can get that Nana will land EXACXTLY on the platform with her jump and popo stays below! New Desynch technique lol (Very risky and probably useless though :/)

//E2:

Jigglypuff
gets a jump that has a high nearly to that one of her last jump :O

She can now transfer BF platform in a VERY quick jump with the perfect distance!
I can see this being useful for Jiggs mains :o (Everything helps to make a ****ty character better!)
Could also help a bit at edgeguarding :>

Tesh

Smash Hero
Hmm, pretty cool. It looks like maybe the game thinks you are still on the ground and allows you to start a shorthop while you are fast falling off the ledge. Interestingly enough, alot of platformers allow you to walk off of cliffs then ground jump.

If this theory is correct...
-would that mean you can still RAR (jump backwards) doing this?
-will MK and other multijump characters be able to platform cancel this jump?

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
ZSS gets a high thats put her directly on BFs highest platform from the side platforms!

So I think I tested all the characters now...

So everyone that isnt listed: I either couldnt get it done for them or I just could find anything that gives them new options to cover with, beside a sligthy smaller SH or DJ.

PZ

Smash Lord
Hmm, pretty cool. It looks like maybe the game thinks you are still on the ground and allows you to start a shorthop while you are fast falling off the ledge. Interestingly enough, alot of platformers allow you to walk off of cliffs then ground jump.

If this theory is correct...
-would that mean you can still RAR (jump backwards) doing this?
-will MK and other multijump characters be able to platform cancel this jump?
Yes and you can wavebounce and b reversal too
Just like you said the game seems to treat it like a sh so why not platform cancel it?

O I just tried this with falcon and that has to be one of the safest bairs ive ever seen cuz you instantly grab edge right after dishing out the attack this AT is amazing ledge play!!!
Brings tears to my eye to see a similar version of melee falcon's short hop...

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
You cant RAR it, because you cant turn around in the air.

At least I couldnt get any RAR action with this :(

Tesh

Smash Hero
Well that explains why Snake gets the boost. Fair makes him lighter (just like Fox) so its just a low boosted short hop for him.

Ness has an AT that lets him slide off of platforms backwards, I guess he should be able to combine both.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Well that explains why Snake gets the boost. Fair makes him lighter (just like Fox) so its just a low boosted short hop for him.

Ness has an AT that lets him slide off of platforms backwards, I guess he should be able to combine both.
I'm gonna test this :)

E: OK how does this reversed thing work with Ness? I'm gonna test with Pits Up-B cancel.

E2:
I think it doesnt work with Up-B cancels for some reasons, when I tested it I couldnt get anything special :/

But maybe thats just me, as the input has to be done pretty quick and its not easy at all. Timing + Execution :3

Gonna test other character know too.

Tesh

Smash Hero
With Ness if you run to a ledge and PK fire right before you run off, it will cancel because the ground version can't become and air version the way most specials can. You can also spin the pk fire around so you are facing backwards as you slide off.

I just got it to work, but overall I guess Bair is too slow to really matter that I got it a few inches lower.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
So you get still get that lower jump after a side-b cancel?

I know that you can return b-reversed side-bs... I just couldnt get it with ness for some reasons (normally I can -.-) but with Pit I could, but immediat jump+dair just leads into a normal DJ with no special jump high or something...so I guessed you cant akuma jump after edge cancels... but maybe im inputting the jump too late, idk :s

Tesh

Smash Hero
*shrug*

With Ness I guess its kind of cool that you can run off of a platform then SH Fair back towards it, since his double jump is so freaking high.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I just watched the video and I can think of a lot of applications

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Agreed, I could see this actually being used in tourney. Any chance we might get a metagame minute about some of these potential applications?

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Funny thing, your character almost always makes a soudn when they do this correctly

Anyway I tried it with ZSS and it just looks like her SH performed at such a perfect angle and position that she lands on the top platform. If there's a difference it's very small.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Do it werk in projekt m's? sorry my anglish. I am Denmark. So many grammer problems. I am Denmark.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Funny thing, your character almost always makes a soudn when they do this correctly
Full Hop Sound.

Anyway I tried it with ZSS and it just looks like her SH performed at such a perfect angle and position that she lands on the top platform. If there's a difference it's very small.
*FH
And yeah I already have this in the OP :)

I will probably make a video about what the characters get from it :D

TreK

Is "that guy"
I wish I had a wii to test this right now x)
Siiiiick discovery Akuma. You get a cookie.

Plus it sounds like it would be super easy to do for a stickjumper, which I am.

Top Bottom