• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

to Making THP's (Brawl's movie files)

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
LOL FAIL! You are catering to VEGAS users? That's a honking expensive program! Nobody has that outside of hollywood film makers! Unless of course by your very post you are trying to CONDONE PIRACY! And I'm pretty sure that's FORBIDDEN on these forums.
first off, you need to use another program to do a batch rename (this is to kill the prefix before the numbers as THP Conv will ONLY look for jpegs with exclusively numbers in their name),

secondly, the vegas option is ONLY for those who managed to BUY it, it;s simply there for those who have it (not for those who don't) and can learn to make THP hacks utilizing it, rather than stepping down to the free options the poor have.

[rant] would you rather there be limited methods of producing stuff because the better or other methods are NOT free?

I could then see that video editing tutorials ONLY teach movie maker because its free, but no greenscreen tutorial because the programs that do it are NOT... [/rant]

SmashBrosFighter

Smash Rookie
first off, you need to use another program to do a batch rename (this is to kill the prefix before the numbers as THP Conv will ONLY look for jpegs with exclusively numbers in their name),
FLAT OUT WRONG! It will work with JPEG files that have have another part in their name. This line of code below is from a batch script (bat file) that converts all the frames to JPEG format from a video of the intro of Macross:
thpconv -j MacrossVid_****** -s MacrossAud.wav -d MacrossIntro.thp

It works just perfectly even though the file name template for the JPEGs starts with "MacrossVid_". So every frame from MacrossVid_000001.jpg to MacrossVid_002732.jpg is converted successfully.

Now if the guy who made the frontend for thpconv called THPtool is still around I want to see him add that base-name functionality into his THPtool GUI program (ie. an extra text box for the base-name field).

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
FLAT OUT WRONG! It will work with JPEG files that have have another part in their name. This line of code below is from a batch script (bat file) that converts all the frames to JPEG format from a video of the intro of Macross:

It works just perfectly even though the file name template for the JPEGs starts with "MacrossVid_". So every frame from MacrossVid_000001.jpg to MacrossVid_002732.jpg is converted successfully.

Now if the guy who made the frontend for thpconv called THPtool is still around I want to see him add that base-name functionality into his THPtool GUI program (ie. an extra text box for the base-name field).
ok that I can see...
and as for the vegas part, I wrote that part, the OP put it in post one for me, that was solely for an alternate method for those who happen to have such software, sorry about the rant in my first reply. it's always nice to have as many options as possible for those who happen to follow the "cook by the book" rule....

MikeYoshi

Smash Rookie
LOL FAIL! You are catering to VEGAS users? That's a honking expensive program! Nobody has that outside of hollywood film makers! Unless of course by your very post you are trying to CONDONE PIRACY! And I'm pretty sure that's FORBIDDEN on these forums.
I never said "Go out and download vegas to do this", because I know that's illegal in most countries and not allowed here. This is an alternate method for people who already have Vegas, and wish to make THPs with it. Since I use Vegas myself, I wanted an easier way to do it, and figured I could at least release what I did, even if it uses command prompt.

Also, it's not just for Vegas users. It's for anyone who wants to skip the 'batch rename' or the SUPER steps, because although you do need to render as individual frames, you don't need to rename them to make them work.

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice

not to bump or anything, But for you, and others alike, I am working on a GUI myself for this that takes the prefix in the name into account, so far, I'm not able to get it to work with the prefix without the program saying no jpegs exists

ChuteTheMessenger

Village's Strongest Hitman
Added tbtechwiz's charming and pleasant THP GUI Batch Renamer to the Sony Vegas tutorial path.

Edit: Gah, I haven't been getting email notifications that you guys have posted. Nyeh. Time to address some of the things y'all have posted.

First of all, @MikeYoshi:
Thanks for all the information that you have been contributing! I really appreciate it. However, I honestly haven't touched brawl hacking in a while, and so I'm struggling to interpret your post and modify my OP to incorporate it. This goes out to anyone else who wants to contribute information, too (I'm gonna add this to the top of the OP in a spoiler box to be safe):
Please do the following to ensure that your contributions are recognized and utilized:

1) Format the information exactly as how you would like it to appear on the tutorial. Keep your information condensed and informative, clear and relevant. Submit the post either to me by PM or just straight into this thread, either in code tags so that I can easily copy it, or clearly indicated in your post so that I can pull it into the OP with the quote function.

2) Tell me where I should insert your post in the OP. Reference specific locations, like section numbers and titles and whatnot, or just a snatch of text following or preceeding the spot where your post would make the most sense contextually.

Your program THP Tool could use some SERIOUS improvement. By having left out one data field you made a SIGNIFICANT FAILURE of your program. You needed to include the Base JPEG File Name field. You see while your program can only signal ***** (number of asterisks signaled based on the number in the field that says how many asterisks it should have) it is missing the whole possibility of the file name having a base name. That is it could just as easilly say myvideo***** for the file name, and that's because the actual work-horse (thpconv.exe) actually takes file names which have a base name before the asterisks as a valid input. Your probram THPtool is just a front-end to thpconv, and unfortunately you overlooked this VERY IMPORTANT functionality of having a base file name before the asterisks. It's VERY IMPORTANT because using your THPtool program, I'm VERY LIMITED in the file names it will accept for the JPEG, SO LIMITED in fact that I will depend on using Super Converter for the converter (as in your tutorial). Yet I know of a better technique for generating numbered JPG files than using Super (a crappy program that takes 5 minutes just to start up!).

Unfortunately the technique I use uses a different software that does NOT generate a pure number for the file name, instead it generates a file name that has a base (which is based on the name of the original video file) followed by a number. So I'll be forced to use the command line THPconv for this, and NOT use your GUI. Yet that is ALSO a problem for me as I FREAKING HATE having to type in a command line to run stuff, it's so stupid and tedious!

So I need YOU to finally make a DECENT copy of THPtool that actually has added a data field for the sole purpose of holding the base file name.
Your language mechanics could use some SERIOUS improvement. By NEEDLESSLY CAPITALIZING a ton of ARBITRARY PHRASES, your tone is HIGHLY COMBATIVE and OVER-EMPHASIZED. You need (present tense, need) to italicize words for EMPHASIS, and only VERY SPARINGLY, or else it looks like you are MUCH TOO ZEALOUS.

As of the moment, I'm kind of REALLY BUSY, and I haven't been hacking brawl SINCE MOTHER****ING CTHULHU was born.

Feel free to tell me of your SUPER SPECIAL AWESOME BETTER TECHNIQUE, so that I may ADD IT TO MY OP. I'm so sorry that YOU have TO inconvenience YOURSELF and USE super BECAUSE you ARE so ADVERSE to IT. ALSO i Am SoRrY tHaT yOu HaVe To SpEnD aLl THAT GODDAMN EFFORT tO sTaRt uP a CoMmAnD pRoMpT aNd JuSt TyPe In ThE cOmMaNd. MaY mY aPoLoGy SoOtHe YoUr RAGING KIDNEY STONES THAT FLARE UP wHeN yOu HaVe To eVeN tHiNk oF a CoMmAnD pRoMpT!!11!!11!111!!!!!

In TRUTH i WON'T get TO revising THE thptool ANYTIME soon, so if you really want the functionality, I SUGGEST you learn A PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE and spin up a USEFUL GUI. tHaNkS!11!iIi1ii1i111i!!!ii1III!1

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
I Updated my THP GUI the following improvements have been made:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?g5y966huv87e9zs

--OPEN WITH command--
1)you can drop a wav onto the icon and the GUI will auto-copy it to the folder with the JPEGs when it opens up

2) (ONLY FOR SUPER CONVERTER USERS): you can put your "sound.wav" file into the folder with the jpegs (DONT BURY THE FOLDER SO FAR FROM THE DRIVE'S ROOT OR IT WONT WORK), and simply drag the folder to the GUI icon, then when the program launches, it will start the THP conversion automatically with NO input needed

--options--
1) Auto-delete: you can now toggle this, after THPConv finishes (or closes and fails), the program will clear out all the JPEGs and the wav from the folder.

2) defined directory: you can set where the final product is spit out to

3) Auto-preview:you can toggle this, when on, THPPlay is launched with the finished THP after conversion is done

the options can be accessed via the wrench icon in the HELP/about section

--safety nets--
since you will have FAILURE if you have spaces in your THP name in THPConv, Noobs who put spaces in the output name will have their FAIL auto-fixed by replacing them with underscores

xmanfit0, please update the GUI link in my section to this new one and also offer it as an alternitave to your GUI

ChuteTheMessenger

I Updated my THP GUI the following improvements have been made:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?g5y966huv87e9zs

--OPEN WITH command--
1)you can drop a wav onto the icon and the GUI will auto-copy it to the folder with the JPEGs when it opens up

2) (ONLY FOR SUPER CONVERTER USERS): you can put your "sound.wav" file into the folder with the jpegs (DONT BURY THE FOLDER SO FAR FROM THE DRIVE'S ROOT OR IT WONT WORK), and simply drag the folder to the GUI icon, then when the program launches, it will start the THP conversion automatically with NO input needed

--options--
1) Auto-delete: you can now toggle this, after THPConv finishes (or closes and fails), the program will clear out all the JPEGs and the wav from the folder.

2) defined directory: you can set where the final product is spit out to

3) Auto-preview:you can toggle this, when on, THPPlay is launched with the finished THP after conversion is done

the options can be accessed via the wrench icon in the HELP/about section

--safety nets--
since you will have FAILURE if you have spaces in your THP name in THPConv, Noobs who put spaces in the output name will have their FAIL auto-fixed by replacing them with underscores

xmanfit0, please update the GUI link in my section to this new one and also offer it as an alternitave to your GUI
Fantastic. Your tool is so good that I'm not going to offer it as an alternative--I'm going to replace mine with your's. Looking back at my tool from a programmatic and user-interface standpoint, it really is a horrible mess. T~T

-THP GUI link updated, description of tbtechwiz's THP GUI tool fixed and moved to the correct location in his Sony Vegas tutorial.

-Replaced THPConv GUI with tbtechwiz's THP GUI in the Additional Tools section.

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice

check the OP again, he linked my THP tool instead now..
what it does it takes prefix into account, it also can do a bigger batch rename than stphmkr can

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've forgotten to tell you guys something:
You don't have to set the resolution of your replacement video to be the same as the video you're replacing as long as you don't exceed the maximum resolution of Brawl, which might be 640 or 672 (the maximum resolution for of the "Naruto: Clash of Ninja Revolution" series). Personally, I use 640.

I've been using 640x352 for years without problems (because the videos I replace the opening with are 16:9). Why not use a resolution of 640x464 (Brawl's native PAL resolution) and just add black bars? Because that would bloat the file size and worsen the picture quality.

So, use whatever resolution you want as long as you don't exceed those of the native video's.

ChuteTheMessenger

I've forgotten to tell you guys something:
You don't have to set the resolution of your replacement video to be the same as the video you're replacing as long as you don't exceed the maximum resolution of Brawl, which might be 640 or 672 (the maximum resolution for of the "Naruto: Clash of Ninja Revolution" series). Personally, I use 640.

I've been using 640x352 for years without problems (because the videos I replace the opening with are 16:9). Why not use a resolution of 640x464 (Brawl's native PAL resolution) and just add black bars? Because that would bloat the file size and worsen the picture quality.

So, use whatever resolution you want as long as you don't exceed those of the native video's.
Alright, noted. Thanks!

-Yuna's clarification on THP size added to the "Important Note on Setting the Proper THP Resolution" box.

Convour

Smash Rookie
Is there a way for this to work with gamecube games? I"ve been trying it with wii scrubber, but at somepoint in the process an error occurs and i have to close it, and my iso file becomes bad.

ChuteTheMessenger

Is there a way for this to work with gamecube games? I"ve been trying it with wii scrubber, but at somepoint in the process an error occurs and i have to close it, and my iso file becomes bad.
It should work. The reason why it isn't working, I think, is because your computer isn't running WiiScrubber properly.
Try doing it on either another computer, or try using a different version of WiiScrubber.

Convour

Smash Rookie
It should work. The reason why it isn't working, I think, is because your computer isn't running WiiScrubber properly.
Try doing it on either another computer, or try using a different version of WiiScrubber.
The newest version of WiiScrubber (1.40) doesn't seem to have gamecube support. WiiScrubber 1.21, however, does.
I"m still getting an error message in 1.21, but I think I figured out why. I'm trying to replace the opening video in Mario Kart Double Dash! for the heck of it, and it is 46 seconds long. The video i'm trying to use is 50 seconds long! :facepalm: I'm only 4 seconds off. I'll return if any more errors occur.

Convour

Smash Rookie
I'll return if any more errors occur.
:urg: More errors. :urg: I have to wonder if I'm exporting the images in the wrong resolution. I'm doing it at 640x480. Also, does making the sequence of images in Super on High Definition matter?

ChuteTheMessenger

:urg: More errors. :urg: I have to wonder if I'm exporting the images in the wrong resolution. I'm doing it at 640x480. Also, does making the sequence of images in Super on High Definition matter?
None of these things you have mentioned should affect the THP insertion process in WiiScrubber at all. Could you please post a picture of the error?

billyskater555

Smash Rookie
this is what it says when i try it

The system cannot find message text for message number 0x2350 in the message fil
e for Application.

Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
The system cannot find message text for message number 0x8 in the message file f
or System.

C:\Users\Billy\Desktop\vids\JPG\SSBBOP~2.WMV.000>THPConv -j *****.jpg -d OPMovie
-s ssbbopening2.wav
THP file Version is 1.1000
Can't open [ssbbopening2.wav]
ERROR : Fail to open AudioFile.
ERROR : Fail to execute THPAudioCreateHandle().
WARNING : Errors occurred while converting to THP.
Please check for error messages above!

C:\Users\Billy\Desktop\vids\JPG\SSBBOP~2.WMV.000>

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
this is what it says when i try it

The system cannot find message text for message number 0x2350 in the message fil
e for Application.

Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
The system cannot find message text for message number 0x8 in the message file f
or System.

C:\Users\Billy\Desktop\vids\JPG\SSBBOP~2.WMV.000>THPConv -j *****.jpg -d OPMovie
-s ssbbopening2.wav
Can't open [ssbbopening2.wav]
ERROR : Fail to open AudioFile.
ERROR : Fail to execute THPAudioCreateHandle().
WARNING : Errors occurred while converting to THP.
Please check for error messages above!

C:\Users\Billy\Desktop\vids\JPG\SSBBOP~2.WMV.000>
your wav may have too long of a name, you are missing the THP output name (MUST INCLUDE .THP at the end), you might be missing the DSPtool DLL

tman96cool

Smash Rookie
Cool, but I have a question.

The reason as to why it still plays the small bit of brawl's standard intro is because those are images with preset animations, not part of the thp.
After you pointed that I out I got bored and wondered if I could place the textures that I use in the intro. I learned that without changing models or animation, I can place 2 images, front and back of the characters (Png format) in the Textures folder of MiscData[50] in the file sc_title_en.pac. (In the menu2 folder) Is it possible for someone to change the animation of the scene itself so that the brawl intro could have a unique style of displaying the characters?

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
After you pointed that I out I got bored and wondered if I could place the textures that I use in the intro. I learned that without changing models or animation, I can place 2 images, front and back of the characters (Png format) in the Textures folder of MiscData[50] in the file sc_title_en.pac. (In the menu2 folder) Is it possible for someone to change the animation of the scene itself so that the brawl intro could have a unique style of displaying the characters?
IDK... might be possible but thats for the SCN0 and CHR0 editing... i know nothing about altering those... your music from the THP still plays when this file is being displayed at the starting bit

lfmweegerz64

Smash Rookie
C:\THPGUI\THP>THPConv.exe -j *****.jpg -d opmovie.thp -s sound.wav
ERROR: THP only supports 4:2:0
ERROR : Can't convert [00001.jpg] file to THP (2201)
ERROR : Can't write video data (1259)
ERROR : Fail to execute THPUtyCreateTHP().
WARNING : Error ocurred while converting to THP. Please Check for error messages above!

Then outputs a "opmovie.thp" of 96bytes

The JPEGs are 3.568 of 576x416 used SUPER after exporting with Sony Vegas
I think that i did something wrong with Sony Vegas (4:2:0? Chroma Subsampling thing?)

EDIT: Nevermind, i exported the video to avi instead of mpg (duh) the WMP doesn't display video in mpg files so i tought that it wouldn't work, i just had to test the exported video in Vegas.

Last edited:

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
C:\THPGUI\THP>THPConv.exe -j *****.jpg -d opmovie.thp -s sound.wav
ERROR: THP only supports 4:2:0
ERROR : Can't convert [00001.jpg] file to THP (2201)
ERROR : Can't write video data (1259)
ERROR : Fail to execute THPUtyCreateTHP().
WARNING : Error ocurred while converting to THP. Please Check for error messages above!

Then outputs a "opmovie.thp" of 96bytes

The JPEGs are 3.568 of 576x416 used SUPER after exporting with Sony Vegas
I think that i did something wrong with Sony Vegas (4:2:0? Chroma Subsampling thing?)

EDIT: Nevermind, i exported the video to avi instead of mpg (duh) the WMP doesn't display video in mpg files so i tought that it wouldn't work, i just had to test the exported video in Vegas.
set the video properties to 8 bit 2.2222 video levels instead of 32 pit 1.0000 liniar float point
in sony vegas, you can RENDER as the bunch of jpegs then use my THP tool in the OP to convert them despite them not having only numbders in the name (my program ignores the letters and underscore in the names

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
The THPConv and DLL file links in the OP are broken and I can't seem to find a mirror :(

ongli

Smash Rookie
How do you do this with brawl box and project m? I have no other resources but these. );

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
How do you do this with brawl box and project m? I have no other resources but these. );
brawlbox only plays THPs, does not compile them, projectM uses gecko, you cannot load THP mods with gecko

SUPER converter is freeware

THPGUI developed by me is also freeware and easier to use in making THPs than the CMD tool

MrRager211

Smash Rookie
I hope you don't mind xmanfit0, but do think you might be able to re upload the necessary files to create a THP? One or two of the files are broken (THPConv.exe and I think that is it).

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Seeing as this has been bumped several times already...bump.

Are there any valid video tutorials out there, or groups/individuals taking requests to make THPs?
(I've been looking into having the PM 3.5 trailer turned into a THP file to use as an opening; since PM updates regularly, the former would be more preferable so I could become self-sufficient and not have to request for the 3.6 trailer and others later on aha...)​

I have zero experience with coding and trying to work my way through this is all a bit overwhelming. Oh, and concerning the bit at the beginning of the original Brawl intro that can't be overwritten since it's actually animations before the THP files...does that mean the sound can't be replaced, either? It's stuck to the first few seconds of the original Brawl intro song?

Last edited:

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
Seeing as this has been bumped several times already...bump.

Are there any valid video tutorials out there, or groups/individuals taking requests to make THPs?
(I've been looking into having the PM 3.5 trailer turned into a THP file to use as an opening; since PM updates regularly, the former would be more preferable so I could become self-sufficient and not have to request for the 3.6 trailer and others later on aha...)​

I have zero experience with coding and trying to work my way through this is all a bit overwhelming. Oh, and concerning the bit at the beginning of the original Brawl intro that can't be overwritten since it's actually animations before the THP files...does that mean the sound can't be replaced, either? It's stuck to the first few seconds of the original Brawl intro song?
the unreplacable bit still plays sound from teh THP (the first few seconds of the THP is actually blank in the files as the game isn't using it yet and to save space on the frames, after the animation, the visuals form the THP file is shown

I have a tutorial up on KC-MM on how to professionally do a THP in sony vegas with screenshots
http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=37186.0

i guess i can make a video tutorial later, but i have too much on my hands right now

Last edited:

REDhax

Smash Rookie
Wow. Old thread.

Anyway, this might sound like a - for lack of a better term - noob question, but how do I run dsptools.dll with THPConv?

EDIT: Nevermind found out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom