• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

Morin0

Smash Lord
Hm, my only concern is that it makes the SD card wear out even faster, no? Since it's constantly reading from the SD card.

iffy525

Smash Apprentice
What's the fastest card to use? I don't understand the speed test chart.

Steelia

Smash Champion
^
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139554

That's the kind of card I use. But the SD card can be of any producer, so long as it is 32GB class 10, formatted FAT32 @ 64 kilobytes. In other words, high-speed.

On a side note, it took nearly two years but I FINALLY understand a guide tcll made about vertex hacks...
We've always had the ability to edit models. We just didn't realize it.

Now I don't know where he's gone, or if he's made an updated version of his exporter-importer for blender... D;

Old version: http://www.emutalk.net/threads/5031...opment-project?p=436127&viewfull=1#post436127

odinNJ

Smash Lord
this is exciting, this means that we can get into some serious costumes now.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I need a card big enough, st do you have a link to the one you use, since we know it works

Timic83

Smash Ace
Moorabbin/Hampton East, Melbourne, Australia
just wondering if it would be possible to do a hack of mgs2 raiden over sheik?

http://images.wikia.com/metalgear/images/9/9f/Model_Raiden.jpg

milun told me it would be hard because sheik doesn't have a face under the mask... are there any other characters it would work on?

what about raiden from mgs4/rising? he has a little mouth mask thing...

http://images.wikia.com/metalgear/images/c/c0/Ninja_Raiden.jpg
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100130030512/metalgear/images/f/fc/MGSR_Raiden_new.png

and do you think a scorpion/subzero hack for sheik would work well, considering the mask?

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Wait, you can't load Melee? Not even with the SD Card thing?

You have Melee 2.0, though, so everything's good.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
It's like they don't want anyone to be a Wii. I mean, without it's best game available, why would anyone buy it?

Steelia

Smash Champion
Yeah, I can't use DML for some reason. It worked before but now it doesn't. No idea why. I'll be getting a wii from Teczero at zenith, though. Hopefully I'll be able to use that for melee stuff.
Have you updated to the latest version? DML 1.4b; they've upgraded the whole system for it, it's no longer released in revs like before, so it loads stuff even faster (at least it does for me).

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Old versions of DML had an option to install an original MIOS file in case the MIOS got corrupted.

I'm guessing when you try to load a GC game, you get an error or the console soft resets?

Toomai

Smash Ace
I think I have most of the bone format figured out, mostly by accident while trying to understand meshes. Has it already been worked on, or is this in fact the first attempt at it?

Also hurtboxes, but I figure you have those pretty well already.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I think I have most of the bone format figured out, mostly by accident while trying to understand meshes. Has it already been worked on, or is this in fact the first attempt at it?

Also hurtboxes, but I figure you have those pretty well already.
tcll has been working on stuff like that for quite some time, you can probably have a word with him in his topic here:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=295671

He's written a program that can be used to rip SSBM models and such from .DAT files, and it works pretty good with trophies, but it's still a little shaky with the actual characters.

revel8n

Smash Cadet
The bone, mesh and texture information has been mostly known for a while now. i must just suck at expressing/explaining the information, heh. Working on remedying that with some tools at some point. There are still a number of flags and other fields that are not fully deciphered though.

i am still working on figuring out how to differentiate the low detail meshes from the normal mesh. i am also working on some of the stage collision data.

Lots to do before the format is complete though.

i would definitely be interested in others to discuss findings with though. Still need to get back to Tcll on some things when i have the chance.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
if some one could figure out how to apply effects: fire/electricity/darkness.

I would really like to see characters constantly in their effects, roy/falcon on fire, ganon/ mewtwo with darkness

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Has anyone ever figured out what the unknown bits in hitbox data do?

In MasterHand, they're referred to as Unknown0, UnknownQ, UnknownR, and UnknownV.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
V is whether the hitbox can clank or not. If the bit is set to 1, it can clank, if 0, it becomes 'laserlike' and will go through other attack hitboxes. I haven't really looked too hard for moves that might have it off by default, but Fox and Falco's lasers have the bit set to 0.

I believe this is our current understanding of hitboxes, unless I'm unaware of any other changes:

[collapse="Formatting Credit to Magus"]......0...........1...........2...........3...........4
| CCCC CCII | IRRR RRNN | NNNN NOOD | DDDD DDDD | SSSS SSSS |

| SSSS SSSS | ZZZZ ZZZZ | ZZZZ ZZZZ | YYYY YYYY | YYYY YYYY |

| XXXX XXXX | XXXX XXXX | AAAA AAAA | AGGG GGGG | GGWW WWWW |

| WWWQ QQPP | BBBB BBBB | BEEE EEVL | LLLL LLFF | FFFF FFTT |

C: Command
I: Hitbox ID
R: Unknown-1
N: Bone Attachment
O: Unknown-2
D: Damage
S: Size
Z: Z-Offset
Y: Y-Offset
X: X-Offset
A: Angle
G: Knockback Growth
W: Weight Dependent Set Knockback
Q: Unknown-3
P: Hitbox Interaction
B: Base Knockback
E: Element
V: Hitbox Clanking
L: Shield Damage
F: Sound FX
T: Hurtbox Interaction[/collapse]

For instance,

Code:
falco laser:
2C 00 00 03 01 2C 00 00 00 00 FF 38 B4 99 00 A0 00 00 00 47
2C 80 00 03 01 2C 00 00 00 00 FC 5B B4 99 00 A0 00 00 00 47
2D 00 00 03 01 2C 00 00 00 00 F9 7E B4 99 00 A0 00 00 00 47
2D 80 00 03 01 2C 00 00 00 00 F6 A0 B4 99 00 A0 00 00 00 47

samus charge (full):
2C 00 00 19 04 B0 00 00 00 00 00 00 B4 92 00 00 19 0A 06 9F

change 0A to 08 and charge shot doesn't clank

Toomai

Smash Ace
V is whether the hitbox can clank or not. If the bit is set to 1, it can clank, if 0, it becomes 'laserlike' and will go through other attack hitboxes.
This does not agree with my hitbox database. I've gone through 80% of the characters and so far the only attacks that have V set to 1 are:
  • Crazy Hand's bombs (explosion?)
  • Ice Climbers' Ice Shot (the projectile)
  • Young Link's Fire Arrows and Boomerang
  • Dr. Mario's Megavitamins
  • Kirby's spit star
  • Kirby's versions of:
    • Fire Arrow
    • Megavitamin
    • Chef
    • Fireball (Ma+Lg)
    • Hero's Bow
    • Shabow Ball
    • Thunder Jolt (Pi+Pk)
    • Toad
    • Ice Shot
    • Charge Shot
  • Mario's and Luigi's Fireball
  • Mewtwo's Shadow Ball (and f-throw shots)
  • Ness's PK Fire (shot)
  • Peach's Peach Bomber (explosion) and Vegetables (not Toad like Kirby)
  • Pikachu's and Pichu's Thunder Jolt (all variations)
  • Samus's Charge Shot, Missiles (both), and Bombs
  • Yoshi's Egg Toss and Ground Pound (stars)
  • Mr. Game & Watch's Chef (projectiles)
For items:
  • The Home-Run Bat's f-smash (for CF, hit 1 only)
  • Four of the five Containers, when thrown (don't know which is which)
  • Motion-Sensor Bomb: when thrown, and the detection zone, but not the explosion
  • Flipper
  • Screw Attack (thrown)
  • When thrown: Mr. Saturn, Green Shell, Freezie, Screw Attack, Parasol, Home-Run Bat, Beam Sword, Ray Gun, Star Rod, Lip's Stick, Fan, Fire Flower
  • Hammer
  • Shots of the Ray Gun, Star Rod, Lip's Stick, and Super Scope
  • A few others I can't identify
  • The projectiles of Chikorita and Blastoise
All other hitboxes have a V of 0 (note that I have yet to get to about 6 characters, so for example Fox and Falco are missing). This makes it rather unlikely that V is straight-up "clang".

On the other hand, P (labelled as "hitbox interaction") is a much more likely candidate. The issue is that it currently comprises of 2 bits, and clang is known to be just one bit (since it's one bit in SSB and one bit in Brawl).

Milun

Smash Ace
Ok, I had originally intended this as being a surprise, where I was gonna edit Pikachu to actually look exactly like Cubone, not just wearing a skull. And I developed a program specifically for the process (similar to Tcll's superior one. I just can't get Python running). Only problem:

Melee, what is this? I can't even find where Pikachu's tail is. There goes that.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I don't know about you, but I think it looks kind of like a garbage can. That's been crushed a bit. And has some poles stuck in it.

Toomai

Smash Ace
You can see the face at the bottom-front, while parts of the ears are the things at the top. All the bits are there, just all crammed in the bottom - you need to find out the offsets of each vertex group so they can be repositioned.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
The hell? I did not post that. Unknown-4/Unknown-V is... unknown. Clanking is P/part of P.
You're right, I posted it. I just credited the formatting to you.

This does not agree with my hitbox database. I've gone through 80% of the characters and so far the only attacks that have V set to 1 are...

[...]

On the other hand, P (labelled as "hitbox interaction") is a much more likely candidate. The issue is that it currently comprises of 2 bits, and clang is known to be just one bit (since it's one bit in SSB and one bit in Brawl).
I had only really looked at hurtbox-less projectiles, so, with your information, my understanding of V is obviously incomplete. Even so, I'd bet that most of the things you listed with V=1 could have the bit set to 0 and be unclankable

Steelia

Smash Champion
@Milun, tcll's program spits out a model very close to what you've got there... at least when you try to convert actual player .DAT files and not the trophies. I have no idea why that is. V:

What version of Python do you have by the way?

I don't know about you, but I think it looks kind of like a garbage can. That's been crushed a bit. And has some poles stuck in it.
lmao

Top Bottom