• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are you a scrub?

kismet2

Smash Ace
I make this thread to help out scrubs that need to find the right mindset. In no way am I trying to disrespect anyone but a scrub is someone who resents using high level tactics to win. Everyone had gone through this at one point but I'm here to tell you that you shouldn't have to hold back because you feel sorry for your opponent. I found a thread that someone made on this website: http://arashiboards.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1186 it's about what kind of mindset you should have. I feel that anyone that already looked in this thread to take some time to click on the link and give it a read. The game that this person is referring to is Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2. KnJ=substitute, U1=jutsu, U2=ultimate jutsu. The "Sirlin: The Bane of All Scrubby Logic Everywhere" part is optional. I do recommend that you check it out, after you read PersonalVendetta's post, if you haven't read David Sirlin's playing to win book.

Definition of metagame:
Metagaming applies to games where no one strategy beats out all the rest. Metagaming gets even deeper in games where there are multiple characters; each with their own set of unique strategies. Metagaming involves the use of the most effective strategies to win, both overall strategies that apply to all chars and individual character strategies. But it doesn't stop there. Metagaming is more than just using top level strategies to win, it involves a battle that takes place outside of the game; in the minds of the players. Predicting your opponents moves is a large part of metagaming; watching his strategies and patterns and predicting future actions so that you may act based on that. Think it stops there? It goes a bit deeper; as you're predicting your opponent's moves, hes predicting your's, so now you're also thinking about what he thinks you're thinking.

"It's all envy that people use "gay tactics" to beat others. It's funny cause people say there's honor in not using those tactics, when that's not where the honor is at and they tend to stretch the meaning of honor. You do whatever it takes to win, but you do it fair and show good sportsmanship. People need to learn that seeing someone beat them up with those tactics is to show respect cause after all, you can't learn if they did hinder themselves like that." -Scatz

kismet2

Smash Ace
if you want to find the right mindset, click on the link. i can't help you if you're only playing this game for peach lol maybe you should just accept the game and try different stuff, see how you like it.

MR. K

Smash Journeyman
and in the end this is more or less just feels like another anti-ban users ways to try and claim why mk shouldn't be banned.

kismet2

Smash Ace
LOL are you for real? i main falco so the ban doesn't really affect me. i'm trying to help people find the right mindset and that they shouldn't be afraid of using high level tactics. so i'm kind of referring things from a general point of view. is all you think about how gay mk is?

EDIT: you should probably be a metagamer and worry about advancing the metagame, play the game the way it should be played, not just mk lol

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Funnily enough, I've never done anything 'scrubby' until my first national (IMPULSE) where I wanted to take Mr.R to Rainbow Cruise but I decided not to. I didn't want to 'gay' him, so to speak, even though I'm pro-RC and anti-'gay'
Not to imply that I would have won had I gone there, I probably would have lost regardless.

Tricky Shadowe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FelixMackenzie
I honestly usually have low self-esteem when I play this game. So since I already think I'm going to lose, I do lose. Unless I play Ganon, then somehow, the odds of me winning is likely.

So this mindset needs to be changed, yes?

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Kismet I am ready to take your spot in the PR, so I'm going to flat out say that I am scrub type #2. I have a hard time finding the line between wanting metagame to change, specifically by making the stage list super liberal, and just accepting the game for what it is. I don't sandbag vs. any opponent though when I am playing for money or hoping for advice. I guess I don't resent using high level play, but I sometimes resent what high level play is. After reading the play to win book by sirlin years ago I found my logic stupid. I still feel like my mindset isn't completely there even though it has drastically improved mostly due to insinsitvity of P1.

:phone:

kismet2

Smash Ace
Funnily enough, I've never done anything 'scrubby' until my first national (IMPULSE) where I wanted to take Mr.R to Rainbow Cruise but I decided not to. I didn't want to 'gay' him, so to speak, even though I'm pro-RC and anti-'gay'
Not to imply that I would have won had I gone there, I probably would have lost regardless.
<3 it's ok, let's be metagamers.

I honestly usually have low self-esteem when I play this game. So since I already think I'm going to lose, I do lose. Unless I play Ganon, then somehow, the odds of me winning is likely.

So this mindset needs to be changed, yes?
let's start thinking like winners =)

Kismet I am ready to take your spot in the PR, so I'm going to flat out say that I am scrub type #2. I have a hard time finding the line between wanting metagame to change, specifically by making the stage list super liberal, and just accepting the game for what it is. I don't sandbag vs. any opponent though when I am playing for money or hoping for advice. I guess I don't resent using high level play, but I sometimes resent what high level play is. After reading the play to win book by sirlin years ago I found my logic stupid. I still feel like my mindset isn't completely there even though it has drastically improved mostly due to insinsitvity of P1.

you aren't alone, i used to be the same way so i know what it's like.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
The title of this thread is brutal, hahah. At least it will generate traffic. :p

That aside, it's always good to lead people in the right direction as far as competitive play goes, though.

Bonds

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I am.
me too

In all honesty, I resent camping as a tactic and I'm pretty sure I have lost a lot of games I could've otherwise won because I don't like to camp. Now I will do it because I feel like I have to a lot of the time, but I would honestly rather just fight. The large part camping plays in this game bothers me much more than other things a lot of people would consider gay, like ics chaingrabs.

kismet2

Smash Ace
The title of this thread is brutal, hahah. At least it will generate traffic. :p

That aside, it's always good to lead people in the right direction as far as competitive play goes, though.
this is true XD i really hope that the mindset that people are looking is here and that they should be encouraged to metagame. i feel that some characters haven't changed but maybe that'll be different now.

Yes, I am.
what about now?

me too

In all honesty, I resent camping as a tactic and I'm pretty sure I have lost a lot of games I could've otherwise won because I don't like to camp. Now I will do it because I feel like I have to a lot of the time, but I would honestly rather just fight. The large part camping plays in this game bothers me much more than other things a lot of people would consider gay, like ics chaingrabs.
camping gets pretty fun once you know how to shut someone's options down ;) there are different ways of doing it, too, like camping right outside of someone's comfort zone to pressure them.

Bonds

Smash Journeyman
camping gets pretty fun once you know how to shut someone's options down ;) there are different ways of doing it, too, like camping right outside of someone's comfort zone to pressure them.
Would you care to go a little in-depth about that? I could always use work on my camping game, and I have an OoS tournament this weekend.

What exactly do you look to do to limit your opponent's options?

kismet2

Smash Ace
to limit your opponent's options means to know their options. when you camp you're not doing it because it's cool, you're forcing your opponent to approach. with that you'll have to think what your opponent will do and act based on that. you can learn what options your opponent have in a match when you have your setups to see what reaction you get. it gets easy after a while if your opponent keeps doing the same thing lol.

Airrider

Smash Apprentice
I'm new to this community and was kinda surprised by this topic. I think that in a competition you simply do whatever you can to win since it's how the game is. Now, personally i would probably never play Meta Knight because i'd rather be an underdog, but using high level techniques? Since i haven't been i a competition yet i can't say to much, but if some guy metagame-***** me i think i would try to get better instead of calling my opponent "gay".

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
what about now?
Top 5 wolf, baby!

Stilll super duper scrubby.

I think the fact that I play the game monthly has more to do with it. Having to relearn other characters spacing :/

to limit your opponent's options means to know their options. when you camp you're not doing it because it's cool, you're forcing your opponent to approach. with that you'll have to think what your opponent will do and act based on that. you can learn what options your opponent have in a match when you have your setups to see what reaction you get. it gets easy after a while if your opponent keeps doing the same thing lol.
I think more brawl players need to talk about options like melee players do, because people would understand my game a bit better. I do NOT over commit to areas and it makes my play look weaker because I am focused on not putting myself in a bad position where I can't cover as many options.

Also all I play against that are good are :dedede: , :snake: and :wario: , and I main Wolf, and 2 of those are wolfs 2/3 worst matchups, and I have never beaten a good/decent snake before.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
I'm new to this community and was kinda surprised by this topic. I think that in a competition you simply do whatever you can to win since it's how the game is. Now, personally i would probably never play Meta Knight because i'd rather be an underdog, but using high level techniques? Since i haven't been i a competition yet i can't say to much, but if some guy metagame-***** me i think i would try to get better instead of calling my opponent "gay".

i think you should just learn the metagame instead of trying to get better. i just "try to get better" a lot only to be beat out because my opponent is using the most optimal strategy and I'm not (I'm just using what i taught myself). the metagame is basically a community list of each character's most optimal strategies (i think?) and generally how to use them. so just use that.

if you're saying that you are the type of person that likes to teach yourself and hates to read and just simply apply things but would rather just learn what works best for you, then i feel you :( problem is that that isn't optimal.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Yup, I'm a scrub. I didn't know it but reading this:

A scrub is someone who resents using high level tactics to win. Everyone had gone through this at one point but I'm here to tell you that you shouldn't have to hold back because you feel sorry for your opponent.
I do feel bad when edgeguarding.

kismet2

Smash Ace
then i hope you succeed in changing your mindset for the better. you'd be a fool not to take advantage of an opportunity, if anything it's your opponent's fault for letting it happen in the first place.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Well, I do not enjoy 'unfair/gay' stuff, but the bar I set for 'unfairness/gayness' is pretty damn high. ICs are my favorite character to watch, and the Luigi-Marth matchup is among my favorites.
So I guess I'm half of a scrub.

kismet2

Smash Ace
yeah you'd be type 2 and it's ok to accept that stuff. it's the most the effective strategies that are going to be abused. an experienced player can get around any strategy, that's why it's good to put time into a game to learn how to counter them.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
then i hope you succeed in changing your mindset for the better. you'd be a fool not to take advantage of an opportunity, if anything it's your opponent's fault for letting it happen in the first place.
Yeah but I rarely edgeguard. Actually, I only edgeguard if I'm edgeguarded against. I agree, I want to rid myself of this mindset but I don't feel "fair" when I do stuff like that. I did my best to have a competitive mindset at WHOBO 4 but somethings like edgeguarding I did not resort to. I did however go RC against Ally with GW which is something I would've normally never have done.

kismet2

Smash Ace
Yeah but I rarely edgeguard. Actually, I only edgeguard if I'm edgeguarded against. I agree, I want to rid myself of this mindset but I don't feel "fair" when I do stuff like that. I did my best to have a competitive mindset at WHOBO 4 but somethings like edgeguarding I did not resort to. I did however go RC against Ally with GW which is something I would've normally never have done.
definitely but when you're at a competition the goal is first and you don't want to limit your own options. use everything at your disposal to get that W, do what you need to do. besides, edgeguarding isn't something that your opponent can't get around. you want to abuse that mechanic so you can take a stock early(if you can).

You should only feel bad about edgeguarding when
-You're playing MK
-Your opponent is Link/Ganon
and when you're m2k

kismet2

Smash Ace
Yes <3

but really i'm just a noob, and that's what we all are XD. i want to play alot of people but i hardly get the chance to so i might start playing wifi again. i used to be a scrub but i wasn't at first. i turned into one when i played in 08, when i played some people they'd think that i'm bad because i used chaingrabs and other "gay" tactics. players can influence others like that and it discourages someone from doing what they really want or what would help them win. that's why i never say anything negative about anyone i play because they're trying to win and i respect that. if anything players should be encouraged but instead they get hate.

Scatz

Smash Champion
True. It's all envy that people use "gay tactics" to beat others. It's funny cause people say there's honor in not using those tactics, when that's not where the honor is at and they tend to stretch the meaning of honor. You do whatever it takes to win, but you do it fair and show good sportsmanship. People need to learn that seeing someone beat them up with those tactics is to show respect cause after all, you can't learn if they did hinder themselves like that.

kismet2

Smash Ace
^exactly and if you don't mind could i put this post in the op? you'll receive credit of course. it speaks many truths and it's those things that will slow down the evolution of a metagame.

Zero-X

Smash Rookie
I was a scrub, until I got into my first competitive fight with somebody at their house, and realized using simple attacks and not using advanced techniques to "hold back" and "play fair" wouldn't work. Gaming got a lot more fun since then, to be honest.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I hate sirlin's definition a lot. It doesn't cover the subject In areas that are worth talking about and his article is written like he is talking down to people.

Play to win how you can, but certain things aren't the best for succeeding.

kismet2

Smash Ace
yeah playing to win is misunderstood by some people. abusing a rule isn't metagaming at all, so they won't improve as fast as others that are learning more about the game. it's all about knowing how to apply effective strategies.

I was a scrub, until I got into my first competitive fight with somebody at their house, and realized using simple attacks and not using advanced techniques to "hold back" and "play fair" wouldn't work. Gaming got a lot more fun since then, to be honest.
it is fun =) higher level play is amazing and casual players are missing out

I hate sirlin's definition a lot. It doesn't cover the subject In areas that are worth talking about and his article is written like he is talking down to people.

Play to win how you can, but certain things aren't the best for succeeding.

it does seem like he's talking about doing WHATEVER it takes, it should be within the game not out of it.

Life

Smash Hero
His preface makes a big deal out of sportsmanship IIRC, so that bit's covered. And this didn't make it into the book, it would seem, but:
http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win-part-3-not-playing-to-win.html
covers "playing to learn".

So yeah, Sirlin does in fact cover this stuff. It's just that everyone else only remembers the scrub bit (which is fair because it's the important part, but it's not the whole book).

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Didn't read the whole thing in that link that somebody posted but I did read this
[COLLAPSE="Explanation of why everything said about JJ is wrong and misleading"]
He once suggested that Jungle Japes be unbanned because one could deal with the Klap Trap by keeping an eye on the clock and dividing the time by 15 second intervals (the time it takes for a claptrap to approach). He would see the clock reaching another fifteen seconds and he'd camp the high ground while shooting projectiles. He argued that if you weren't willing to become good at this, and instead chose to ban Jungle Japes, you weren't really a good player to begin with; you weren't playing to win.
Just wanted to throw out that this is completely untrue. The Klap Trap appears every 10 seconds (iirc 10.02 to be exact) and I doubt Overswarm was unaware of this; if he was, this must have happened a LOOOOONG time ago.

It's actually very easy to keep track of the Klap Trap on JJ; it appears every time the seconds on the timer hits 7. Then after like 4 or 5 minutes into the match, it appears when the seconds hits 6.

Yes, I think JJ should be unbanned.[/COLLAPSE]

M@v

Subarashii!
So.....what your saying is....everyone should play metaknight since you're holding yourself back otherwise :troll:

Seriously though good topic.

kismet2

Smash Ace
LOL if you want to but other characters have what mk doesn't and are way better at zoning if people prefer that, mk is pretty bad at that and kinda gets bodied by it =(

Top Bottom