• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate And Discuss Their Chances: Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

deuxhero

Smash Journeyman
Want: 5. I am a fan of Monolith software.
Likely: 4.9. Popular world round, a new IP for Nintendo, requested heavily in the west and decently in the east and good moveset potential. He has very few cons, and it is easy to see why he is one of the "favorites" of Smash Bros 4 roster predictions.

Nominate: Anna x5.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Poor Starfy. He needs a hug.

Anyway, I really am not too interested in Shulk, so a 0.8 in want.

Furthermore, despite his popularity, I feel his series needs more time to grow. That being said, I'll only give him a 2.9 in likeliness.

Predicting a 1.4 for Anna

x5 for Goroh

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Poor Starfy. He needs a hug.

Anyway, I really am not too interested in Shulk, so a 0.8 in want.

Furthermore, despite his popularity, I feel his series needs more time to grow. That being said, I'll only give him a 2.9 in likeliness.

Predicting a 1.4 for Anna

x5 for Goroh
It's tom nook not anna isn't it

Anyway

Want 2.5 I haven't played this game so I don't really care

Likelyhood: 4 New 1P that has received universal acclaim, extreme popularity, possibly could have a unique moveset, only thing really going against him is if sakurai doesn't think he is worthy of being in smash

prediction for Tom Nook 3.11

nominations Mr. Stevenson x 5 (I'll save my other ones)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People above who predicted for Anna might want to change their prediction to Tom Nook, that's who we're predicting today. :p

Anyway, I forgot my Nook prediction. I'll go with 0.5.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
Many of the audience booed him out, which made Starfy shed many tears. He tried to run away from all of this madness, but it could not happen. A person even threw a robot at him and when Starfy missed, he was knocked out cold blood. The majority of the audience laughed at Starfy's inability to get up whereas his few fans were in tears.
:c Why'd u have to do that for...

Stop hurting Chibi-Robo & Starfy they're too cute! :mad::sadeyes:

Nominations

IceClimbers x5

Voting & Discussing

Shulk

Personal Bias: 3
Likelihood: N/A

I won't be voting on likelihood today because I lack information on Xenoblade & Shulk.

I always welcome a new series in Smash so I don't mind Shulk playable at all.

Prediction

Tom Nook: 1

:phone:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Want: 3
Likeliness: 3

Don't really know much about him other than Operation Rainfall, decent popularity, and being in the RPG spotlight. Only thing he really has against him is he's from a new and unproven series.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Want: 0.5
Likelihood: 3

Xenoblade is one of the best critically acclaimed titles Nintendo has had in a long time and deserves, and will receive, quite a bit of content in the next game. Since Gaur Plains will be a stage in the next Super Smash Bros, I'm sure Shulk is going to be looked at pretty intensely to tie into that stage. I've already gotten into Shulk a tad when during my Isaac discussion, so I really don't feel like regurgitating those talking points again. What he brings to the table, I don't know to be honest as I do not own Xenoblade, but from what I do know he can fulfill the "Fantasy RPG" character roll if Sakurai wishes to pursue that angle.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Shulk is one of the characters I would love to see playable. I think he is an interesting character from a up and coming franchise that has tremendous potential to rival RPG games such as Final Fantasy and The Tales series. I may be the exception but I have never played Xenoblade (partially because I am currently unable to get my hands on a English version of the game). Despite that, I fully support this character and his inclusion into Smash 4. Here are a few reasons why:

1) He would have a very unique move set based on Monado and his game Arts. Various move sets and playing styles have been discussed in the Shulk support thread.

2) Shulk is the lead character from the Xenoblade game. While it only has one game so far, it has a lot of promises for future sequels. There is a slim possibility that Xenoblade may receive a sequel before or when Smash 4 is released.

3) Shulk and Xenoblade is currently a popular character/series within Nintendo and RPG aficionados everywhere. It is the perfect time to be a new character since Sakurai is, possibly right now, looking for characters and researching characters to add into Smash 4. Unlike some characters whose peak was before or after Brawl, Shulk's popularity is at it's peak right now which is in conjunction with Smash 4.

4) Xenoblade is a immensely popular game in Japan and has gained widespread success in America and Europe. In fact, it was because of fans that Xenoblade became localized within America.

5) Yes, Xenoblade is a new series but it is an acclaimed series. With the release for Smash 4, Xenoblade will be 3+ years old which allow time to judge the game and it's characters.

6) Xenoblade has the potential to become a front runner in the RPG genre. While I doubt it has the capacity of oust Final Fantasy or Tales, it has the potential to become a popular RPG franchise. In addition, outside of Fire Emblem and Pokemon, Xenoblade is one of Nintendo's most popular FF oriented RPG games which makes it stand out compared to the likes of Mario, Star Fox, Zelda, and Metroid. I would say it is one of Nintendo's most popular traditional RPG fantasy game to date.

Shulk does have some problems against him such as:

1) Being too new. His game was just released in the States after more than a year of licensing limbo.

2) Xenoblade may not receive a sequel. It is entirely possible Xenoblade is a one shot deal.

3) There may be a sequel but Shulk may not be the main character much in the vein of Sin and Punishment: Star Successor and Dark Dawn.

4) While requested, he isn't as requested as the likes of Ridley, King K. Rool, and Mega Man.

5) He has competition from other Misc. characters such as isaac, Saki, MK Ray, Starfy, etc.

Despite that, I think Shulk has fairly good chance to become playable in Smash 4 Xenoblade has a wealth of content to include into the Smash universe which also helps the odds. as well, Shulk could be one of the most unique sword fighters in the game. Shulk for Smash 4!

For Shulk,

Want: 4.8
Likeliness: 3.5

Tom Nook Prediction: 3.1

Nominations:
Lucina x2
Saki x1
Dixie Kong x1
Skull Kid x1

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Want: 1.0
From I've read the thread on Shulk, and it sounds like, despite wielding a sword, he could actually be very unique, but, still, there's something about him that just don't like. I guess I'm just a little bias since I feel he would take chances away from characters that I actually want in Smash4.
Anyway, from what I've read, it sounds like Shulk actually has quite a decent chance, so I'll give him a 3.8 in likelihood
I've actually been thinking about getting Xenoblade for awhile since I've heard so many positive things about it. Maybe after I've played the game I will like him a little more.

Prediction: 1.8 Which is hard for me to say since I really like Tom Nook, but I feel that most would agree that it's unlikely.

Nominations:
Bowser Jr. x1
Toad x4

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Wrote a whole big post on Shulk, but it decided to delete itself, fml.

Anyhow, gonna throw my votes in anyhow.

Want: 4.2
Likelyhood: 3.8

And since I won Chibi-Robo's prediction day, I'll use my votes now. Five votes each for Adam and Medusa.

EDIT: Oh and I predict a 1.8 for Tom Nook, if not lower.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My prediction for Tom nook is going to be an awesome

jigglover

Smash Lord
Right, I don't have xenoblade but from what I read on the internet, it apparently has breath-taking graphics. A stage in SSB4 built upon the breath-taking graphics would look amazing would it not? For this reason, I'm actually giving Shulk a 3.5 in want and a 4.23 in likelihood. In polls (don't ask me to find them, I'm usually too busy to go through the internet for a few websites) SSBB and xenoblade have been voted the best graphic games for the wii, it kind of shows that nintendo gave up on good graphics apart from the galaxy series and a couple of others, providing SSBB was released about half-way through 2008 (or it was in the UK).
Anyway, to put it simply, and to get back on topic, lets do a little maths.
Xenoblade+ main character= Shulk
Shulk+ incredible graphics= great stage in SSB4
Great stage in SSB4+ Shulk= incredible xenoblade representation.
nominate Plusle and Mnun x5

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Shulk

Want: 4
Likelihood: 2.5

If this series doesn't hit off I don't know what will.
Sooner or later I expect a rep from this series in smash bros.

NOMINATIONS

Ness x5

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
Shulk is the star of what is claimed to be the greatest JRPG of the generation. The game sold well world wide and was made by monolith which is 100% owned by Nintendo. Not only this but it was a recent game which means he has greater chances.
want: 4.8
likeliness: 3.2
nominations
Lloyd Irving x3
Paper Mario x2

D

Deleted member

Shulk

Xenoblade is one of those funny titles that is considered to be far more popular than it really is. The game is moderately popular, but despite all the noise the Operation: Rainfall group made, it's not the breakout success that people make it out to be. Had the game been a breakout success, the game would have sold over a million worldwide by now.

There are a couple of major barriers that Shulk will have to jump over in order to be playable. The first of which is that Xenoblade is not very important to Nintendo. Look at how difficult it was for Xenoblade to get to America. Originally, the game was announce that Nintendo would not publish the game (though the eventually did) in North America as they did not see it as worth their time. The only reason why it even did was because of a massive push towards getting Xenoblade in America and when it finally did, it was restricted to Gamespot, so it's obvious that Nintendo did not have much confidence in this game. If Golden Sun and Starfy are too unimportant to be playable this game, so is Xenoblade.

Another issue is that it's an unproven franchise (or as we should be calling it, a game), as if the hesitation to release the game in North America didn't make that clear. There is no guarantees that Xenoblade is going to receive a new installment and if it doesn't, then it won't have an opportunity to prove itself that it's not unimportant.

That's not to say that Shulk won't be in, however. He does have the fortune of being decently requested in Japan and oversea, something that can't be said for any other misc. franchise (other than Saki) and while I haven't played Xenoblade, he definitely would make an unique addition and can easily fit in. However, I feel as other potential misc. franchises will likely receive priority before Xenoblade.

I give Shulk a 2 in likelihood.

I am predicting that Tom Nook gets a 1.34 in likelihood.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I don't know much about this character but he seems semi popular. Although since this is recent success I will have to aim lower at around 2.2 in likelihood and personally 1.8 in want.

Tom Nook: 1.1

Nominations: 5x geno

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I give Shulk a 2 in want, and a 2 in Liklihood.

A relatively new series that Nintendo originally didn't have plans for international release. I haven't played the game myself, because it doesn't look like my thing, so I can't really have much of a want. I'm not going to give lower than a 2 unless I really dislike the character though. Nintendo didn't really seemed thrilled with the game, and It's not exactly their top franchise. I just don't really see this relatively new intended Japanese only release character getting into smash

Nook a 2. He should get a more awesome score though

Sukapon x5

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Kind of disappointed that you deleted that post. I was just about to respond after eating some lunch.
Nah, not everything has to be a debate. Just because I've been watching too much First Take on ESPN doesn't mean I need to bring it here.

D

Deleted member

Nah, not everything has to be a debate. Just because I've been watching too much First Take on ESPN doesn't mean I need to bring it here.
Fair enough I guess. :)

(goes to watch an episode of Samurai 7)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Looks like I predicted the wrong person. I'll give Nook a prediction of 0.7

D

Deleted member

I'm going to start working on the new day during work break. It'll start sometimes after 9 PM tonight.

D

Deleted member

Shulk was a very special case. He was new, yet had made an impact in the Smash speculation scene. Many fans cheered for him while others were either indifferent or rejected the proposal that he be in Smash.

This turned into some seriously nasty arguments between the two sides. While it wasn't as obvious as Isaac, the tension was clearly here. In order to turn down the violent fighting, Shulk performed the moves that he was capable of doing to wow the audience. Some paid attention of course, but those who argued about his chances did not care to look back.

In the end, things turned out fine for Shulk, although nothing especially special. Shulk beat Isaac in likelihood at 3.42, much to his pleasure, but his want score was slightly less satisfying, at a 3.05. He was very optimistic about the future and then decided to search around the world in hopes that he could prove himself worthy to be in Smash. N3ON, excited for both, was rewarded five extra nominations for not turning into the typical flame warriors.

Tom Nook casually walked in, selling items to other people and was intending to do the same for the crowd in order to tie people over until the next candidate arrived. Little did he know that he was next. He was a familiar face, yet one that had been rejected before. So he was curious, what were those fans doing? He decided to walk around selling items in hopes that he would gain some bells, but the fans weren't looking for bells, they were looking for yet another thing to argue about.

Day Thirteen begins! Tom Nook is up for voting today. Prediction for Anna's score starts as well.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Want: 2
Likelihood: 0

He isn't happening folks. Sakurai shut the Animal Crossing door with Brawl and I don't see it being opened anytime soon.

Sakurai: The most important thing was simply whether or not it would make players happy. I mean, there are lots of popular games with characters that just aren’t meant for fighting and were too hard to incorporate into the Smash Bros. title. Heading the list of these characters are the ones from the games we just mentioned, Nintendogs and Animal Crossing. Because these are games played by lots of people, I knew players would be happy to see them make an appearance. This is why I wanted to find a way to put them in the game and why they became Assist Trophies. Assist Trophy Video.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Essentially what Star said. Throw in the fact that he isn't even the main character...

Want: 0

Predicting 1.4 for Anna

Nominations: x5 Goroh

D

Deleted member

Tom Nook would be neat to see. Want: 4.

But if Animal Crosser can't make it in, what hope is there for Tom Nook? Giving him a big fat zero in likelihood.

Predict that Anna get a 1.93 in likelihood.

D

Deleted member

Tom Nook:

Want: 4
I'd love to see some Animal Crossing character since it got a stage in Brawl, be it a Villager, Nook, or even Resetti (especially Resetti, actually).

Sakurai pretty much said that characters like the AC Villager won't be playable if it doesn't make sense for them to fight. Tom Nook is pretty much in that same spot. IMO, the only AC character that would make sense as a fighter is Resetti, given that he is a rage-filled mole with a pickaxe.

Even worse though, is if Sakurai DID change his mind on an AC character, it would be a Villager, given that he apparently already had ideas on how they would fight before he decided that it wouldn't make sense.
Or again, Resetti. I mean, the idea of him as a character had been brought up in his Assist Trophy quotes. Not that it really means anything, but hey, you never know these days.

EDIT: YAY! Someone posted the image from my Photobucket! XD

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Want: 2

Don't like Animal Crossing and I don't care for/about him as a character.

Likelihood : 3

Seems surprisingly popular. Who knows, maybe he'll appear.

Nominations:
x5 Saki

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Tom Nook gets a "1" from me. When it comes to finding potential playable reps, Animal Crossing really isn't the best place to look.

Nominations
1: Dixie Kong
2: Little Mac
3: Rosalina
4: Zoroark
5: Black Shadow

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Ahhhh Tom Nook. I loved both the Animal Crossing franchise and the character, Tom Nook. Yet I also despised him for making work so hard to earn the bells! However, can his epicness be translated into Smash? Tom Nook has a couple things going against him that could hurt his chances of being in Smash 4.

Firstly, Sakurai has gone on the record in saying that Animal Crossing lacks a representative that has the ability to fight. I don't have the direct source so if someone could point that out to me; that would be awesome.

Secondly, there are many other characters who are able to fight or have a fighter oriented style. While Tom Nook has a potential move set, I could be seen as being awkward or clumsy.

Thirdly, Sakurai may see the Animal Crossing franchise just fine without a representative. There is always a possibility that Sakurai might be content with no AC rep and, possibly, may even extend this idea to other unrepresented franchises.

Lastly, if a AC character is considered, he has competition from the Human Villagers, K.K. Slider, and Mr. Resetti.

Despite this, Tom Nook does have some things going for him. Animal Crossing is a successful and an entertaining franchise that has spanned throughout Nintendo's history. While an AC game generally has a span of 3-5 years before the next one is released. it still remains popular and groundbreaking. To not have a character rep this series is ridiculous given it's popularity and history.

Tom Nook has competition from other characters established veteran franchises as well as unrepresented franchises such as Xenoblade, Golden Sun, Punch-Out!!, etc etc. However, Tom Nook would represent a veteran franchise as a newcomer. Something that has never been done before. As well, Tom Nook has tons of potential for a very unique move set. Just go over to the Tom Nook support thread to find out for yourself.

I always found a franchise being repped by a stage, assist trophy, or item to be a interesting way of representing a franchise. While it was cool for AC, I felt it was kind of a slap in the face considering the AC, in particular Tom Nook, has some much potential. AC was repped by a stage, item, and a assist trophy in SSBB so it's time to go past that and start adding a character rep.

Tom Nook has competition from other AC characters as well. Human Villagers can be considered a potential AC rep that could use the same move set (or similar) to our loveable tanuki merchant. However, seeing as how AC villagers are randomized, it would be fairly difficult to switch this into Smash 4. While not possible, it would take a fair amount of programming. Tom Nook also faces competition from K.K. Slider and Mr. Resetti. However, both of these characters have proven to have mediocre support at best. K.K. Slider makes a fine background character and Mr. Resetti made a annoyingly funny assist trophy. Tom Nook, while not exactly a mascot of AC, seems to be one of it's most popular and iconic characters.

I think this debate is not only about Tom Nook but also for AN Animal Crossing character representative as a whole. Aside from Hannenbow, Animal Crossing is one of the only franchises not repped by a character. However, AC is much more popular and successful than Hannenbow. Yes, an AC might be deemed "not fight worthy" but you can bring Mr. Game and Watch, ROB, and Jigglypuff when you question battle worthyness.

Anyways, Tom Nook has a lot of obstacles to overcome but he has potential to be a zany object-based character that can control and zone the stage. I personally would love to see him in Smash 4. However, while a popular character, Sakurai seemingly shut the door on Animal Crossing reps and, unfortunately, feels they are unable to be included into the Smash universe. Therefore, regrettebly, Tom Nook is fairly unlikely considering Sakurai's feeling towards a AC rep.

For Tom Nook;

Want: 4.9
Likeliness: 1.3

Anna's Prediction: 1.5

Nominations:
M. Bison x5

deuxhero

Smash Journeyman
Likely: 0. Sakurai said an AC fighter wouldn't appear,
Want: 1, there are worse picks out there I guess

Nominate: Yoshimitsu x5.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Sakurai doesn't want an AC fighter, and even if he changes his mind Nook isn't the first choice.

Goroh x5 (guess the pool does need my help, kinda sad really)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

I could explain in detail of why Tom Nook won't appear, but everyone else pretty much stated that Animal Crossing characters won't happen. Not to mention Tom Nook is not exactly a fan favorite character to begin with.

For Anna, I predict a 1.11.

Requesting Zoroark (x2), Megaman (x2), and Little Mac.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Want: 3
Likelihood: 0.25

Sakurai is foolish for thinking Animal Crossing characters can't fight; in fact, he even listed potential moves for a Villager in an old interview involving a bug net and a shovel. But still, this is his mindset, and even if it has somehow changed between Brawl and now, Villager is seemingly his choice for the series representative. Tom Nook's chances were vastly overrated pre-Brawl because people thought Sakurai had only deconfirmed the Villager, not an Animal Crossing character entirely (plus, if we got a specific character, it would totally be K.K. Slider before Nook). What's left of Nook's overrated chances are quickly dying in the eyes of fans, and justifiably so.

Nominating Little Mac x3, Bowser Jr. and Dixie x1.

Reika Kitami

Smash Cadet
Want 1
Chances 0.5

He could give any character a move set but it wouldn't fit the feel. He axed Ridley or being "too big"/

Sqid

Smash Apprentice
Want: 0.3

As most of the other people have said, Sakurai already stated that there will be no AC rep (although he did only point out Villager specifically). IF (and that's a big if) there was an AC rep, I'd say K.K. Slider would come before Tom.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Sakurai is foolish for thinking Animal Crossing characters can't fight; in fact, he even listed potential moves for a Villager in an old interview involving a bug net and a shovel.
To be fair, he only said it wouldn't feel right for them to be fighting. Which I can understand and agree with.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I assume you mean it wouldn't feel right? That's really subjective stuff, but I don't care enough about Animal Crossing characters to discuss them all that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom