• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Don't Blink -- Apex Prep Edition

Arty

Smash Lord
Don't Blink -- Apex Prep Edition

The Venue

425 Fawell Blvd.
Glen Ellyn, IL 60137

http://www.cod.edu/Maps/local2.gif

The SRC Building
http://www.cod.edu/Maps/campus2.gif

The new venue is a tiny bit south of the old one. The cafeteria is in back of the old building. There's a large parking lot there where you can park for free.

Tentative Schedule

Saturday -- November 3rd, 2012
11:00 - 12:30 - Registration
12:30 - Brawl Doubles Bracket
12:30 - Melee Doubles Bracket
1:00 - P:M Doubles Bracket
*2:30 - Brawl Pools
*2:30 - Melee Pools
3:30 - P:M Singles Bracket
4:00 - Melee Singles Bracket
4:00 - Brawl Singles Bracket

*Pools for Brawl and Melee will be done depending on the number of entrants / setups.

Prices and Payouts

Venue Fee - FREE!

Main Event
Brawl Doubles - $5* per Person (*Could increase to $10 depending on interest)
Brawl Singles - $10 per Person
Melee Doubles - $5 per Person
Melee Singles - $10 per Person

Side Events
Project:M Doubles - $5 per Person
Project:M Singles - $5 per Person

Payouts (Doubles)
1. 60%
2. 30%
3. 10%

Payouts (Singles)
1. 55%
2. 30%
3. 10%
4. 5%

Food

There are many fast food restaurants within ~5 minutes of driving distance. (Taco Bell/Chipotle/KFC/etc)

Brawl Rules

- 3 Stock

- 8 minute timer

- Items are set to "off" and "none"

- All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above should be played out for any "finals" matches)

- In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

- No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

- In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

- If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

- Suicide Rule - If a game ends in a suicide move, and the player that performed the suicide move is using Bowser or Ganon, that player wins the match. If the player is using another character than the victor is determined by who has the lowest percentage.

- Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

- Stalling and Pausing penalties will be determined by the TOs on a case to case basis.

-Important: There will be a Ledge Grab Limit at this Tournament. It is 35. If your match ends as a result of time, and a player has exceeded the Ledge Grab Limit, he or she loses that match.

Stages

Starters

Final Destination
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium 1
Smashville
Yoshis Island (Brawl)

Counterpicks

Delphino Plaza
Halberd
Castle Siege
Frigate
Lylat Cruise

-First stage is agreed upon by the two competitors through stage striking, random selection or mutual agreement and they must choose a Neutral (Starter) stage.

The Stage Striking Process:

The five neutral stages will be the only highlighted ones in the Stage Selection menu. Players can rock-paper-scissors to see who strikes first or mutual agree.

The first player strikes one stage from the 5 neutrals.

The second player strikes two stages from the remaining stages.

The first player strikes one more stage from the list. The remaining stage is the one that will be played for the first match of the set.

The Double Blind Selection Rule:

If both players are having a dispute as to how to select their characters for the first match (usually to avoid unfair counterpicking) the Double Blind Rule may be used. A neutral third party (usually a T.O) will be called in and both players will tell the T.O. their character. Then both players will pick their characters at the same time.

The Counterpicking Process:

Before the player who lost the previous match selects their stage, the opponent may designate a stage ban. That stage cannot be selected by that player for the entire set.
The player who lost the previous match will then select their stage for the next match.
The opponent may switch characters after the stage selection.
Once the opponent has selected their character, the player who lost the previous match may finally change their character if they desire.

Project : M Rules

* 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer
* Items OFF and set to NONE
* Buffer OFF
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
* If the match goes to Sudden Death due to a suicide move (Ganon's side-B, DDD's swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the one who initiated the move wins.
* Non-first party controllers must be inspected by TO staff before use in tourney.
* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
* Dave's Modified Rule: You cannot counterpick the stage you last won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
* Player's Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process. In the event of a disagreement, house rules stand.
* Double Blind Character Picks: Players may elect to double blind pick their characters for the first match in case of any disputes.

Stage Strike from Starters for the first match of the set in "122112" fashion:
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes the next two stages.
3. First player strikes the next two stages.
4. Second player strikes one stage.

Stages

Starters

Battlefield
Dream Land 64
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams
Pokemon Stadium 2
Smashville
Yoshi's Story

Counterpicks

Dracula's Castle
Green Hill Zone
Metal Cavern
Pokemon Stadium 1
Rumble Falls
Wario Ware
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

General Rules

-BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.

-Pause can be requested off and that request cannot be denied. If one pauses mid-match, the person who initiated the pause loses their current stock. If the pause causes the opponent to lose their stock (Such as interfering with recovery), the person who initiated the pause loses two stocks. If there is any doubt in the ruling of a pausing incident, stop what you are doing and CALL ONE OF THE TOs TO YOUR MATCH.

-You are responsible for your own controller and name tag.

-Coaching is allowed only between games, not during.

-DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.

-The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.

-Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.

Melee Rules

* 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer
* Items OFF
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
* Master Hand is banned.
* Wobbling is banned.
* Stalling with Jigglypuff's Rising Pound or Peach's Wall Bomber is banned.
* Glitches such as Ice Climbers's Freeze Glitch and Mewtwo's Soul Stunner are banned.
* Non-first party controllers must be inspected by TO staff before use in tourney.
* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
* Dave's Modified Rule: You cannot counterpick the stage you last won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
* Player's Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process. In the event of a disagreement, house rules stand.
* Double Blind Character Picks: Players may elect to double blind pick their characters for the first match in case of any disputes.
* Neutral Spawn Points: Players may elect to use neutral spawn points to decide controller ports for the first match in case of any disputes.

Stage Strike from Neutrals for the first match of the set in "1221" fashion:
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes the next two stages.
3. First player strikes one stage.

Stagelist:

Neutral (Singles)
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Dream Land
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams

Counterpick (Singles)
Pokemon Stadium

Neutral (Doubles)
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Dream Land
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpick (Doubles)
Kongo Jungle 64

After each match:
1. Winner announces stage ban (except in best-of-5 sets)
2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
3. Winner chooses their character
4. Loser chooses their character
5. Winner chooses their controller port (optional)
6. Loser chooses their controller port (optional)

Pool Tiebreakers

This applies to both Melee and Brawl.

Tiebreaker #1: Set Wins
Tiebreaker #2: Head to Head
Tiebreaker #3: Wins
Tiebreaker #4: Losses
Tiebreaker #5: One stock playoff

TO Contact

Arty -- 773 - 633 - 4391
Akashi -- 815 - 295 - 7126

Parking/Setups

Parking is free and the lot is right outside the SRC building.
BRING SETUPS! Everyone that brings a setup will get something AWESOME from the TO

AllisBrawl Listing

Arty

Smash Lord
Since so many of us are going to Apex, we need a few practice tournies before then. Me and Tano will be hosting this one in two weeks, so attend guys! P:M doubles and singles bracket are also going to be run as a side event.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Sexy. This date's perfect for me, don't change it and I'll be here 100%.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I'll try to go for PM and Foodies will be interested in Brawl, but we might have school johns. We'll let you guys know as the date approaches.

Scythe

Smash Master
You might as well add melee to this list and just go all in.

Edit: Unless of course Rat hosts a tourney before this one.

ORLY

Smash Master
naw i think rat'll wait for this

the last joint tournament went very smoothly with a big turnout!

i'll happily help TO melee if it helps makes things easier

ORLY

Smash Master
i am willing to test my own fortitude to ensure that everyone has a good time

ORLY

Smash Master
i don't really have people over as often as i used to

this place doesn't support anyone with this horrible couch

let's just play at your place with matt

metroid1117

Smash Master
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan I have more school johns =/. I'm not sure if Foodies will go or not now, I'll let her get out of stalker mode and post herself.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Yoooo, if this has P:M you should post this on smashmods too, dunno how many people from there pay attention to smashboards tourney stuff.

Say the word and I'll just do it for you if you want.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
8% thinking about coming to this.

I read that there is going to be melee at this too? That would increase it to 12%

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
want to come to this but there's a missouri tourney on the same date.... =(

Arty

Smash Lord
No clue. The last one we had, had about 20 entrants for Brawl. (There were 45 P:M entrants though lol) There hasn't been a brawl tourney here for about two months though, so hopefully we'll get some more.

Arty

Smash Lord
Update: Melee has been added. $5 Melee doubles and $10 Melee Singles. Pools for Melee (this applies to Brawl as well) will be done depending on the number of setups / entrants. (There will be no pools for P:M)

Also if you decide to enter events for all 3 games, you will be held to a strict time frame to play your matches, so you don't hold up the tournament. (Looking at you MRM lol)

Scythe

Smash Master
I think if you have entry at 10 bucks for all the singles events you can cut down on the number on entrants.

Edit: number of entrants who enter multiple things

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Update: Melee has been added. $5 Melee doubles and $10 Melee Singles. Pools for Melee (this applies to Brawl as well) will be done depending on the number of setups / entrants. (There will be no pools for P:M)

Also if you decide to enter events for all 3 games, you will be held to a strict time frame to play your matches, so you don't hold up the tournament. (Looking at you MRM lol)
lol

It's difficult to be a bunch of places at once. Running pools for brawl singles and melee teams round robin at the same time is tough.

The biggest offense was after I beat :dedede: with :wolf: after the bracket was done and I wanted a few minutes to think about puppies and kittens before I was going to get CG'd by Hunger.

Top Bottom