• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Maharba's Battle Royale 3!!!! October 21!!!!

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
Maharba's Battle Royale III
Legacy of the Golden Chalice

Hey guys it's time for another trip to maharba's arena for what could be the greatest battle royale of all time. with 2 super @#$%^& swag new rulesets, and the removal of an entrants cap, there is nothing holding this tournament back from possibly not needing anymore ruleset changes to be both good and different.

Address: 6489 Creekbend Dr. Houston, Tx, 77096
Venue Fee: $3
Singles Entry: $7
Doubles entry is $5 per person or $10 per team

Singles Ruleset:

Double Elimination Bracket (seeded off of the New Tx PR, deal with it) http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=327149

2 stocks, 6 min timer, Bo3. Bo5 for finals, bracket rematches are also Bo5.

MK banned

LGL of 40 all characters, this is altered to 60 for games played on norfair. it only applies if the match goes to time.

If the Ledge Grab Limit does not declare one player the winner, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations (excluding suicide moves explained below), except for when players are presented with sudden death:
In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
If the match ends with both players dying at the same time (either coincidentally or via suicide move) or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 18 is used for all characters

If your character makes the game freeze or glitch in a harmful way (as in wii resets, screen is not visible, etc) you lose the game it happened during (just the game, not the set). if your character gets stuck in an animation (i.e. the diddy uthrow glitch) your opponent DOES NOT have to hit you out of it and can run the timer at their discretion.

If a character with a suicide move uses that move and both players die at the same time, the character that initiated the suicide move wins that game (these characters all have suicide moves: wario, kirby, DDD, diddy kong, bowser, ganondorf, .

The higher seeded player chooses who starts stage striking. stage striking turns = 3>3>2>2 the last stage is the stage game one is played at.

Port is decided by Bo3 Rock Paper Scizzors. In between each game the loser of the previous round gets to counter pick port position.

Legal Stages:
FD
BF
SV
Lylat
YI:B
PKS1
Castle Siege
Delphino
Halberd
Frigate
Norfair (think about it, it's like combining rainbow and brinstar into one stage[that can be stricken]. that's way better than having either time outs OR hazards. now we have time outs WITH hazards, that sounds like a perfect brawl stage and way more entertaining to watch)

Counter Picking Rules:

If you won the previous game, you are character locked during the next game played in the set. If you lost the previous game, you are allowed to change your character during the next game played in the set.

During each set, each player may ban 2 stages after the first game if they so chose. this is altered to 3 stages for finals.

Stalling Rule: with a timer comes the strategy of running it, deal with it, timeouts happen. there is nothing wrong with stalling the clock in anyway shape or form. all forms of stalling are allowed, however there are limitations im adding out of the kindness of my balls. you saw the ledge is limited. also, inescable actions such as infinites, soft hit locks, and chaingrabs can't continue past 300%.

Coaching rule: all in depth coaching is illegal. don't be that one guy that costs a man a good read. however, all **** talk, dirty comments, and low blows are welcome. bring it, at the end of the tourney there will be a written and collected vote to decide who had the best **** talk and will be presented the Dphat award from the legendary player-4 himself. so practice your foul vocals, houston got the best **** talk in texas now baby.

Doubles Ruleset (be sure to read, it's completely different from singles):

Double Elimination Bracket (seeded off of the New Tx Pr, deal with it)

3 stocks, 8 min timer, Bo3. Bo5 for finals, bracket rematches are also Bo5.

MK Banned

Team Attack set to "On"

Life stealing is allowed.

each team has 100 ledge grabs total to be split between both the characters.

Starter stages: striking order is 1>1>1>1 higher seed choses whos first.

SV
BF
Lylat
PKS1
YI:B

counter pick stages: each team get 4 stage bans if they so chose.

Final Destination
Castle Siege
Norfair
Delphino Plaza
Rainbow Cruise
Halberd
Jungle Japes
Pictochat
Frigate Orpheon
Brinstar
PKS2
green greens
hyrule temple
big blue
cornaria
YI:Melee

If your team's character(s) makes the game freeze or glitch in a harmful way (as in wii resets, screen is not visible, etc) your team loses the game it happened during (just the game, not the set). if your character gets stuck in an animation (i.e. the diddy uthrow glitch) your opponent DOES NOT have to hit you out of it and can run the timer at their discretion.

If a character with a suicide move uses that move and both players die at the same time, the character that initiated the suicide move wins that game.

If your team won the previous game, your team is character locked during the next game played in the set. If your team lost the previous game, your team is allowed to change your characters during the next game played in the set.

Project M Tournament:

Ruleset Coming soon...

Side event:

Zombies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-RedShadow

Smash Ace
Coaching rule: all in depth coaching is illegal. don't be that one guy that costs a man a good read. however, all **** talk, dirty comments, and low blows are welcome. bring it, at the end of the tourney there will be a written and collected vote to decide who had the best **** talk and will be presented the Dphat award from the legendary player-4 himself. so practice your foul vocals, houston got the best **** talk in texas now baby.
This is ****ing hype

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
I'd try to come down for the Project M, but the Little Rock tournament is this weekend and DFW already made plans for that =/

Oracle

Smash Master
maharba why do you make the rulesets like this? Not trying to be offensive but i have legitimately never seen a tournament ruleset that strayed this far from the norm since evo 2008

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
i see ideas people have for rulesets in threads all the time. seeing as how my tourneys don't count for much, i figure i can test some people's ideas out and see how they work. besides, as long as my rules don't really affect how u play the game (aside from mk ban and lgl) why does the stock count and timer matter? i want this tourney to end sooner, i shorten the amount of time a match can go to. i want to see how more stages and less stages and just different stages can affect the metagame. besides, who said the norm is correct in the first place? :)

also, who is 1 w1nged @ngel?

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Wow, that was a really good response opposed to the controversial expectations I had.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I find this ruleset offensive to all five senses.

But I'll probably go unless....work...

:phone:

Sync.

Smash Champion
Lol yeah this tournament is going to be a little weird but fun! Tournaments shouldn't always be so serious. Tournaments are meant for competitive fun and that's what this is bringing. People tend to forget to have fun with this GAME.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
This is ****ing hype
i know all about you redshadow. you think just because you and dphat ran **** talk back in the day that you can handle the abhorring linguistic foulties i can spew forth? show up dawg it'd be good to have you over.

Wow, that was a really good response opposed to the controversial expectations I had.
i <3 illmatic. it was almost the controversial expectation you had but i had a change of heart around when i say flopulent in my rant. for reals

Lol yeah this tournament is going to be a little weird but fun! Tournaments shouldn't always be so serious. Tournaments are meant for competitive fun and that's what this is bringing. People tend to forget to have fun with this GAME.
my boy sync knows wats up

Oracle

Smash Master
i see ideas people have for rulesets in threads all the time. seeing as how my tourneys don't count for much, i figure i can test some people's ideas out and see how they work.
You can't really get a good how a metagame is affected if only a handful of local players come out, since it'll just be the same players. Also, your logic is pretty flawed since your tournaments only don't count for much because of the rulesets. If you had a normal ruleset Dallas would bring competition, as well as more houston people being motivated to come.

besides, as long as my rules don't really affect how u play the game (aside from mk ban and lgl) why does the stock count and timer matter? i want this tourney to end sooner, i shorten the amount of time a match can go to. i want to see how more stages and less stages and just different stages can affect the metagame.
They do affect how you play the game pretty significantly. I can't talk specifically about the stages since i don't play much brawl, but having two stocks increases variance, since one mistake or randomized hit or whatever is gonna count that much more. If anyone actually wanted to win this thing, they would just camp the **** out of their opponent, considering thats pretty easy to do for six minutes.
besides, who said the norm is correct in the first place? :)
The dozens of top players who have worked on the ruleset since the game came out four years ago, as well as every to who's ever hosted using it.

I'm all for trying new rulesets, but it seems to me that your differences come from the sake of being different, not from actually thinking that it'll be an improvement. Do what you want, but using a ruleset like this doesn't do anything but dissuade actual competition from showing up

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
This tournament is definitely a local tournament for fun. Out of city people should go to Ascension 3 on November 3rd. Houston peeps should go to this for fun and all that jazz.

Sync.

Smash Champion
Yeah, it really isn't that serious. Maharba's Battle Royales have always been "just for fun" tournaments. Everyone who usually goes, enjoys the fun and the variance that they bring. I think it's pretty healthy for a city with such high standards for its players.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
You can't really get a good how a metagame is affected if only a handful of local players come out, since it'll just be the same players. Also, your logic is pretty flawed since your tournaments only don't count for much because of the rulesets. If you had a normal ruleset Dallas would bring competition, as well as more houston people being motivated to come.

They do affect how you play the game pretty significantly. I can't talk specifically about the stages since i don't play much brawl, but having two stocks increases variance, since one mistake or randomized hit or whatever is gonna count that much more. If anyone actually wanted to win this thing, they would just camp the **** out of their opponent, considering thats pretty easy to do for six minutes.

The dozens of top players who have worked on the ruleset since the game came out four years ago, as well as every to who's ever hosted using it.

I'm all for trying new rulesets, but it seems to me that your differences come from the sake of being different, not from actually thinking that it'll be an improvement. Do what you want, but using a ruleset like this doesn't do anything but dissuade actual competition from showing up
dawg, whoever you are you care way to much about the tournies i have in my own house. i don't give 2 flac1d fukcs wat you think of my rules. who cares if i do **** different. changing the stocks from more to less only changes the fact that you can't be bad and kill yourself and get away with it. also, people camp for 8 minutes normally anyways, so saying people would camp for 6 mins because there is 6 mins is useless as this is brawl, where everyone camps regardless of the timer. no1 gives a stanky **** about wat you think and no1 is gonna influenced by your lack of attendance. if you don't want to come chill with friends, have a fun time with a diverse ruleset, and be an actual person, then you can go fukc you fish head shaped **** and drink a gallon of gooch flakes and duck butter.

also, i didn't come up with this ruleset on my own, the singles ruleset is one that is used in the midwest region and doubles is a combination of older texas rules and norcal doubles rules. so seriously accept that no1 gives a **** about ur opinion and either come have fun or eat **** and stay home masturbating. your call

edit:

is this more or less wat you expected illmatic?

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Actually, that's pretty much exactly what I was going to respond with.
Give or take two flaccid ****s.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Its tournaments like these that prevent the skill level of this city from rising. if this was a fest i wouldnt say nothing but since this is a "legit" tournament, i poop on it.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
Its tournaments like these that prevent the skill level of this city from rising. if this was a fest i wouldnt say nothing but since this is a "legit" tournament, i poop on it.
if my tournament has a drastic effect on people's skill then masterbation has a drastic effect on whether or not you poop before you sleep. neither of these things have drastic effects on anything (let alone my poop) and the only thing that will ever hold people back in this game is their own ability to read, choose, and adapt. if they can't do that at other tournies, why would my house series be the reason people are bad?

Tesh

Smash Hero
Maharba, somehow your tournament threads continue to attract random players who want to complain about the ruleset for a tournament they wont even be around for.

Keep up the good work.

P.S. I find 7$ to be quite expensive for a local under any circumstances, but lowering the stock count while keeping the rest of the format pretty static definitely makes it "less bang for your buck". Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to this, but I'll drop by after and I WANNA FRIENDLY ON BANNED STAGES!!

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
well if it's something besides $7 then it and the venue don't add up to an even monetary value worth playing for. venue and singles is $10 total. and i aint got a lot of spare change atm so i can't brake bills hence this is easier

Tesh

Smash Hero
Also the best tournament series this community has ever seen has more stages legal than this and more diverse, balanced results than any MK legal tournament ever had.

More stages= good.

If spare change is an issue, i can pay my venue fee with rolls of pennies.

BioDG

Smash Ace
that would require me entering

that creates a problem

go back to canadia!!!!

Top Bottom