• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game and Watch Matchup Export: Zero Suit Samus

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Zero Suit Samus

Matchup: 55:45 (+1)

Basic Info:
ZSS is colloquially-speaking, a combo character and shines in the air. Her fast, long-range aerial attacks are disjointed and combo well, but have static hitboxes. Her ground game is less impressive but works nonetheless, featuring a strong and versatile dash attack, quick jabs, a long-range (but otherwise terrible) grab, and great spacing tools in Plasma Whip and Paralyzer Shot. Her down smash comes out slowly but can deal some serious damage, her up smash is great for anti-air, and her tilts are all useful. Off-stage, ZSS has great gimping/frame trap capability and a great edge game, with above-average recovery. She is a great survivalist character and not easily gimped in the hands of a good player.Downsides include a situational though passable shield game (and as such, susceptability to heavy shield pressure), vulnerability to opponents when above them aerially, a terrible forward smash that is literally useless, a grab that comes out slowly and is very punishable if missed, poor shield pressure, and vulnerability to long-range hitstun-inducing projectiles such as Pit's arrows, Falco's laser attacks, or Sheik's needles. New ZSS players will find her learning curve to be on the high side of difficult due to her non-standard approach to combat and the necessity for proper spacing. ZSS also doesn't outright wreck many characters; her matchups are mostly even to slightly advantageous, with only a few strong advantages. However she's a great choice vs. high and top tier characters.

Videos:

Strategy:
  • Her armor pieces are very scary, but if we get control o them, we can inflict major carnage as well. Learning item control is essential for this matchup (and Diddy Kong as well)
  • ZSS will have a very difficult time killing us in this MU. Her uair will be staled and her sideB very slow.
  • Shield is very good in this matchup, use it very often. Our UpB leaves us in the position to get juggled and punished for it.
  • Most of her moves can be reacted to with ease, try to watch her more than yourself, it will make predicting and punishing much easier.
  • A lot of her moves can lead to a powerful bucket, so absorb those often.
  • Her jab is one of the fastest in the game, so be careful on the ground near her.
  • Our ground game is very helpful in this matchup, dtilt can shut down a lot of her moves.
  • A missed grab from ZSS means a loss of stock for her, so baiting out a grab and rolling around or avoiding it can be a fantastic way to win.

Stages:
Assuming the stagelist from Unity 2.1
Strikes
1. Final Destination
Runner-Up -

Counter Pick
1. Frigate
Runner-Up -

Ban
1. Final Destination
Runner-Up -

I don't have much experience in this MU. but from the last i knew of it. it's -1 We seriously get messed up by the armor pieces. She really pays for a missed grab. Her up Air beats Key. Zero suits shouldn't D-smash too much considering it fills for an instant kill bucket. She has quite the mobility edge on us. if I were zero suit i'd push for FD of BF but i'm probly wrong about that

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
I would say this is even, the armor is only for one stock, if even. And while that stock is really bad, after they are expired/thrown off the stage, we get a bit of an edge.

I want to say that if we get armor peices to throw them off the stage. Otherwise they get it again, and they will be better at using the pieces.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
+1 G&W or maaaybe even.

I used to struggle in the MU, but then I started to actually pay attention.
Now I find Tay's ZSS non-threatening(Top ZSS, comparable to quik). Went from being 2-stocked to 2-stocking.

Will talk more about it later. Just gonna say this: No pain, no gain.

Throwing her armor pieces off the stage might be a good idea if you're inexperienced, but if you keep on getting ***** by her, you will probably start learning to use them well. Once your armor-game is superb, you can actually fight her with her own items(Just like Diddy Kong)

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
Shield is actually decent in this match-up.

I personally up-b less and try to stay on the ground. (I really like dtilt in this matchup)

In my experience most of zss air moves out range or trade with ours.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Her uair is so dumb. It's the reason why you should think twice about up b'ing. However, everything else she does can almost be reacted to.

Try looking at ZSS more than yourself. I can assure you that her side b will never hit you again.
Her dsmash is also surprisingly slow with the startup (Cooltip: If you spotdodge the ZSS dsmash, and she tries to use it again, you can actually fsmash her)

Dtilt is godly. Dash attack is also surprisingly good in the MU.

Juggling her can be kinda tricky with her stupid herp-derp-momentumshifting 3 times every second-features, but if you manage to hit her with nair, she will be not too hard to keep in the air.(Unless she escapes with a surprise down b)

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I have some recent ZSS replays up vs ZSS

I think it's even or slightly in our favor, I used to think it was our most even matchup but we don't have to work as hard as she does.

And like Dami mentioned, we get to shield in this matchup =)

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Sorry I can't comment on this match-up much. All I know is that playing reactive is the best way to beat ZSS, but that applies to every character (idk if this point is meaningless or not. I guess I meant the same thing as what gardex said about watching her more). She's a decent character, but not that great.

I give this a +1 for us, because I don't see how she can kill us. Uair should be staled for her most of the time, and sideB is honestly a bad kill move. I mean it kills well but it shouldn't hit anyone ever, unless they get a really hard read. Dsmash -> bair or something is good but hitting a dsmash requires a hard read just like sideB.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Lets theorycraft stages. I know ZSS is **** on Lylat, so should we avoid it? Or would it be middleground because of how well we do?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I don't think any stage really makes much of a difference. Both characters are really versatile. I would favor a stage you are the most comfortable with.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I would suggest Frigate if its not banned, since this is a stage we generallh excel on while she is hindered by the lack of two ledges at times.

Aside from that, it does come down to personal preference. Like:

Halberd can be dicey if you get caught by Uair a lot. Its her best aerial.and kills early when fresh. On Halberd, you do the math. Yet our smashes kill STUPID early off the top here. And ZSS has a great Forward Roll they like to abuse. Hello Down Smash.

FD can get hairy if you have issues approaching her and its not a good stage for us in most MUs anyway. She's fast and has plenty of stage to just reset situations. Yet, as long as you don't eat Up air too much you live longer with Bucket Brake because the majority of her moves that kill use horizontal knockback.

You have to consider all the options and what suits you best vs the particular ZSS you're playing. There's no Golden Stage for us in.this one.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Personally, I'd ban Lylat, but it's more personal beef with Lylat, and I wouldn't want to go there with a ZSS who knows what they're doing.

Top Bottom