• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

waveshine- THE METHOD

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
you have to picture this in slow motion since waveshines are done fast of course

at first and for a long to up till now, i have been waveshing this way:

shffl aerial, keep holding down (from the fast fall), press b (still holding do so i do a reflector), tilt the control stick diagonally left or right (to angle the way i'll wavedash), jump then dodge into the ground (still holding the control stick at an angle).

this is how i've just started to do it:

shffl aerial, reposition the control stick to the center, press down and b at the same time, reposition the control stick again, then wavedash normally from there.

the reason why i switched is because i have an easier time doing perfect waveshines since in wavedashing normally after the shine rather than having to keep the control stick held in a downward position. i mean, when you do a perfect wavedash, do you serious keep the control stick held in a angled position? i dont >.> BBBBBBBBUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTT, there's a down side for me. whenever i do it the second way, it's hard for me to chain waveshines. meh, i think i just need to practice it more since i just started a day ago. but still, i feel more comfortable doing repeative drillshines and n-air to waveshines now, w/e. chained waveshines arent even that important :p anyways,
im just wondering if anyone else does or did it either one of these ways or if they have their own method.

Abuani

Smash Apprentice
i 100% agree with you, i do it the same way, shffl, put stick in neutral, shine put stick in neutral, wavedash, stick in neutral, shine ect

the reason i personnaly do this is because i used to phatsam off the ledge on occasion, and also i found that when i used to slide the stick over from down b, i would sometimes move it before i hit jump, causeing 3 lag frames (the game reads down to tilt as a shine turn), by putting it back to neutral it tempers the speed and im having alot easier of a time waveshining perfectly also

Edit: wow there was alot of typos in there >.>

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
oh, i perfectly understand what you mean. i used to forward B all the time but this other way helps prevent it and helps waveshining perfectly. i thought i was the only one who experienced this :psycho:

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
Nice find, i'll look into this as I too also have problems on occasion to killing myself with the illusion. I never thought anyone would discover a way to prevent it. Great find once again

SaKaii

Smash Rookie
Sounds like a good idea, thanks for posting this, I too have the same problem of killing myself if i try it too fast. I will try this new method tommorrow when my new copy of smash arrives in the mail ... Little brothers scratched up my old one =(

Falken

Smash Apprentice
when I do your new way I'm too slow and it won't work, but I guess I just have to train more, but I thinks it works your old way too, exept when you do it backwards

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
O_o, i had the same problem too, waveshining backwards was troublesome for me. for a certain while, i did it the second way for only waveshining backwards and the first way for waveshining forwards :psycho:

Falken

Smash Apprentice
but I don't find it so necessary to be able to ws that good backwards, that would be if you landed on the other side with the dair but then I just start over. so I think I stay with the first method :p

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
starting over is to troublesome, plus, it's for bringing people close to the edge. like, if your back was to the edge and you were in front of the oppenent, you can waveshine them backwards to a shine spike. it's common to have your back to the edge for edge hoggin or edge guarding. instead of do a rising drill kick shine from grabbing the edge. i do a drill kick reverse shine to shine spike. if u want to be a tech fox, reverse shining it's good to keep in mind.

Falken

Smash Apprentice
ok, I'll think of that, but now that I can only waveshine easy characters in matches like peach, I'll prioritize to learn to ws forward.
I can ws the other characters but it's a lot harder to do it in a real fight

videokilledtheradiostar

Smash Journeyman
I have been practicing waveshining, and can do it on peach bowser, DK ect. But for some reason i cant gat it on different ppl like samus. Is there something im missing of do i just need all perfect Wavedashes?

BlitzSh4ft

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, me too. When i waveshine, its more of just a wavedash and a couple frames later, a shine. And the putting the stick in neutral thing; does this mean simply letting go of the stick for a moment, or otherwise? Ill try this out, but i dont think ill have much luck only knowing about it in theory.

Abuani

Smash Apprentice
Diffrent people slide diffrent lengths, so when your trying to waveshine someone, even someone who is considerered waveshineable, you might have to do a further wavedash in order to reach them.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
wow, i have a shine guide you know...it explains who can be waveshined comboed and who cant. it tells how far they go, even with exact lengths...

Abuani

Smash Apprentice
Ya that shine guide helps alot for implenting shines into your gameplay and using them more effectivly, also helps by teaching when a shine is good, like against which charecters and such

windwaker

Smash Rookie
i already read it to guys the fox shine guide is the best one i have read yet and this one pretty good to thx foxandfalco ur a smash saver

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
windwaker said:
i already read it to guys the fox shine guide is the best one i have read yet and this one pretty good to thx foxandfalco ur a smash saver
:) :) :) :)

metroid1117

Smash Master
I prefer the second way, putting it back in neutral position. I still need work though; I still occasionally Illusion off the edge. For some reason, I can never waveshine backwards. I can do it where I turn around and then turn that into a forward wavedash, but I can't do it where I don't turn around at all.

SpurburyPD

Smash Rookie
Wow, at first when i read that method, i was like WTF LIES, but now that I tried it, it's so amazing. It makes waveshining and chaining waveshines so much easier. THX!

Akasuna no Sasori

Smash Apprentice
The first method makes it easier for me to waveshine, although I haven't gotten the timing down just right yet. (I occasionaly do an air dodge or just jump into the air.) I have a lot of trouble getting a perfect wavedash with the first method though. I can get a perfect one everytime with the second method, that is, when I can do it right. I can hardly ever pull off the second method. I should probably learn it though because it seems more useful.

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
I have the same problem that u sometimes had i would end up waveshining and then foward b. Then other times i end up falling short on the wavedash or skip a shine and just do a 2nd wavedash. Well now i might have found a solution =D

Akasuna no Sasori

Smash Apprentice
Well, thanks to method #1 I can now waveshine flawlessly nearly everytime. I even solved my problem of not being able to get a perfect wavedash. I need to let go of R sonner I think, because sometimes Fox puts up his shield instead of using the shine :(

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Ill always ws with the 2nd method you posted (when comboing) but when i put someone against the wall ill hold the Controlstick down and shine over and over again. I've a record I've done 64 combos on training mode against a luigi > i shined then Neutral wave dash then a shuffled dril kick and repeat< how much combos have anyone of you done uh?

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
I have the same problem that u sometimes had i would end up waveshining and then foward b. Then other times i end up falling short on the wavedash or skip a shine and just do a 2nd wavedash. Well now i might have found a solution =D
Oops =P i was talking about infinite ws this is about comboing. I solved my problems on infinite, but I'll definantely use this for comboing.

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
chainshines arent that hard once you get your rthym unless theres a drill kick follwing the chain then its hard for me but your right you dont need chainshines unless your fighting link shiek or peach but you usually only need 3 + upsmash to finish em or you can chainshine them offthe stage to shinespike thats my fav. but how i do it is i use X+R to wavedash, i shine with the stick pointing down then i move it on a slight angle and wavedash then i slam the stick down and repeat.
________
buy iolite vaporizer

Smash Master
that's how i do it too. your first way sounds uncomfortable
You think that's uncomfortable? I need to learn a lot from you guys. I hold down from the aerial, then push B, then push up to jump, rotate the stick diagonal-down and press L to wavedash, then move the stick down and push B again. I've actually been able to waveshine Mario and get a four shine combo on DK this way.

*sigh: I need to use X to jump

By the way, can anyone else doubleshine with the control stick?:laugh:

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
You think that's uncomfortable? I need to learn a lot from you guys. I hold down from the aerial, then push B, then push up to jump, rotate the stick diagonal-down and press L to wavedash, then move the stick down and push B again. I've actually been able to waveshine Mario and get a four shine combo on DK this way.

*sigh: I need to use X to jump

By the way, can anyone else doubleshine with the control stick?:laugh:
i started out like that but my hand started to hurt but thats when i couldnt even shdl i personally think using x and r is more confy and in general easier but thats just me everyone has their own style the only thing thta matters is how effective it is

Cort

Apple Head
That's somewhat interesting, but I still get really good waveshines holding down during the whole drill and repositioning just before the wavedash. o_O

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
I don't play Fox (I tried him for a while, though), but I was playing around with waveshining today and thought this method worked pretty well.

1. Hold the joystick downward diagonally at a 45 degree angle, instead of straight down. Press, B, you'll still do the shine.

2. Rotate the stick just a little bit to get the perfect angle for a long wavedash. Then press the wavedash buttons (Timing these right with Fox is the hardest part for me).

3. Move the stick back to the diagonal position.

You've got to have surgical precision on this; it's espcially easy to do an Illusion dash by accident this way. I'm pressing Y+R to wavedash. Do you recommend a different combination? I tried Y+L but I couldn't time it right. Oh and sorry if this has already been posted; I came up with it myself. :ohwell:

Vegard

Smash Lord
Ok, i have some problems with the reversed waveshine. I manage to do the drillshine infinite, but I can't turn around cause I never cancel the shine when I turn around. Whenever I hit my opponent with the shine and trying to do it reversed, I fail, but when I do it withouth hitting the opponent, I do it properly. Should I do it faster or something?

Top Bottom