• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Smash was NOT included in the original EVO line-up.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
[rightw]
[/rightw]Tom Cannon, co-founder of EVO, sheds some light in regards to why Super Smash Bros. Melee was not adapted into the original top 7 EVO games despite taking an overwhelming majority in the Facebook community poll:

"The poll we put on Facebook was a fun way for us to gauge interest in what fighting games people were playing competitively."

"It was never meant to be a scientific measure of which community or game would be best for the lineup. That said, we did learn that there are tons of fighting games out there with huge fan-bases who all want to see their games played competitively on the world’s largest stage."

"Rather than single one out, we chose to give them all a shot by creating the Player Choice category."

It appears that the Facebook community poll may have originally been designed to seed specific games into being selectable for the Player's Choice slot. However, this was not confirmed.

It is also worth mentioning that Smash has been "singled out" yet again:

1. $14,268 Super Smash Bros. Melee
  2. $6,650 Skullgirls
  3. $5,235 MLP, Fighting is Magic
  4. $1,581 Dead or Alive 5
  5. $1,210 Guilty Gear XX, Accent Core Plus
Melee currently has more than double the amount of donations of the 2nd place player choice game. Not only has Smash shown that they have a huge fan base, but they have also shown that they can put their money where their mouth is.

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/evo-cofounder-sounds-off-6402636

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
All I gotta say is I hope Melee actually gets the last spot from winning the donation contest by a landslide.

JuanTendo

Smash Cadet
NNID
ssb-juantendo
3DS FC
2750-1216-1018
Switch FC
SW 3345 4602 0138
i think they did it on purpose...they knew that since melee won the polls it would also be the game gettin the most donations... the money goes for a good cause so it can be forgiven ;)

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
i think they did it on purpose...they knew that since melee won the polls it would also be the game gettin the most donations... the money goes for a good cause so it can be forgiven ;)
Good cause or not, still stupid how SFxT got in automatically.

dkuo

Smash Lord
does sfxt have a strong fanbase? i wouldn't complain about their decision if it does

also i believe what they said about the fb poll, it's not like the donation drive was made *because* melee was winning. melee was probably put in the donation drive because we're very isolated from the core fgc.

Its like you guys didnt even read the poll description

"Which fighting game are you most interested in seeing in the official Evo 2013 lineup? Let us know what you think. The top games in this poll aren't guaranteed to make the lineup, but a strong showing certainly wouldn't hurt! Want to see your game at Evo? Try getting your friends to play, or running tournaments are your local video game store or hobby shop. Games which have a broad audience of competitors from around the world will always get our attention!"
its not like they ever promsied to include smash to begin with, not sure why yall acting so ripped off

Top Bottom