• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Logic Presents: A Super Smashing Good Time

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Smash Logic Presents: A Smashing Good Time

Venue

Willow Ridge Community Hall
680 Acadia Dr SE Calgary, AB

How to get there
The Hall is located just off of Deerfoot and Southland on Acadia Drive.
For bussing this leaves quite a few options depending where you're coming from, here's a couple options.
[COLLAPSE="Map!"]
[/COLLAPSE]

Schedule

Saturday -- February 16th, 2013
12:00pm - 12:30pm - Registration
1:00pm - Brawl Doubles Bracket
1:00pm - Melee Doubles Bracket
2:00pm - P:M Doubles Bracket
4:30pm - Brawl Singles Bracket
5:00pm - Melee Singles Bracket
5:30pm - P:M Singles Bracket

Times are approximate and subject to change at the TO's discretion.

Prices and Payouts

Venue Fee - $10

Main Events:
Brawl Doubles - Free?
Brawl Singles - $5
Melee Doubles - $5 per Person($10 per team)
Melee Singles - $5
P:M Doubles - $5 per Person($10 per team)
P:M Singles - $5

Payouts
1. 60%
2. 30%
3. 10%

All prices and payouts subject to change.

Food

There is a 7-11 across the street as well as a couple different food options nearby, to be listed accurately soon.

[COLLAPSE="Brawl Ruleset"]* 3 Stock
* 8 minute timer
* Items are set to "off" and "none"
* All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above should be played out for any "finals" matches)
* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
* In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
* Suicide Rule - If a game ends in a suicide move, and the player that performed the suicide move is using Bowser or Ganon, that player wins the match. If the player is using another character than the victor is determined by who has the lowest percentage.
* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
* Stalling and Pausing penalties will be determined by the TOs on a case to case basis.
* Important: There will be a Ledge Grab Limit at this Tournament. It is 35. If your match ends as a result of time, and a player has exceeded the Ledge Grab Limit, he or she loses that match.

Stages

Starters

Final Destination
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium 1
Smashville
Yoshis Island (Brawl)

Counterpicks

Delphino Plaza
Halberd
Castle Siege
Frigate
Lylat Cruise

-First stage is agreed upon by the two competitors through stage striking, random selection or mutual agreement and they must choose a Neutral (Starter) stage.

The Stage Striking Process:

The five neutral stages will be the only highlighted ones in the Stage Selection menu. Players can rock-paper-scissors to see who strikes first or mutual agree.

The first player strikes one stage from the 5 neutrals.

The second player strikes two stages from the remaining stages.

The first player strikes one more stage from the list. The remaining stage is the one that will be played for the first match of the set.

The Double Blind Selection Rule:

If both players are having a dispute as to how to select their characters for the first match (usually to avoid unfair counterpicking) the Double Blind Rule may be used. A neutral third party (usually a T.O) will be called in and both players will tell the T.O. their character. Then both players will pick their characters at the same time.

The Counterpicking Process:

Before the player who lost the previous match selects their stage, the opponent may designate a stage ban. That stage cannot be selected by that player for the entire set.
The player who lost the previous match will then select their stage for the next match.
The opponent may switch characters after the stage selection.
Once the opponent has selected their character, the player who lost the previous match may finally change their character if they desire.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Melee Ruleset"]* 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer
* Items OFF
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
* If a match ends with both players dying at the same time resulting in Sudden Death, a 1-stock rematch will be played out on the same stage.
* All Semi-finals and Finals matches will be Best of 5 format.
* Master Hand is "banned".
* Wobbling is not banned.
* Stalling with Jigglypuff's Rising Pound or Peach's Wall Bomber is banned.
* Glitches such as Ice Climbers' Freeze Glitch and Mewtwo's Soul Stunner are banned.
* Non-first party controllers must be inspected by TO staff before use in tourney.
* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
* Dave's Stupid Rule: You cannot counterpick a stage you have won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent. The exception being in sets that are Best of 5.
* Player's Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process. In the event of a disagreement, house rules stand.
* Double Blind Character Picks: Players may elect to double blind pick their characters for the first match in case of any disputes.
* Neutral Spawn Points: Players may elect to use neutral spawn points to decide controller ports for the first match in case of any disputes.

Stage Strike from Neutrals for the first match of the set in "1221" fashion:
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes the next two stages.
3. First player strikes one stage.

Stages

Starters (Singles)

Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Dream Land
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams

Counterpicks (Singles)
Pokemon Stadium

Starters (Doubles)
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Dream Land
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpicks (Doubles)
Kongo Jungle 64

After each match:
1. Winner announces a stage ban (except in best-of-5 sets).
2. Loser chooses a Counterpick stage.
3. Winner chooses their character.
4. Loser chooses their character.
5. Winner chooses their controller port (optional).
6. Loser chooses their controller port (optional).[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Project M Ruleset"]* 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer
* Items OFF and set to NONE
* Buffer OFF
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
* If a match ends with both players dying at the same time resulting in Sudden Death, a 1-stock rematch will be played out on the same stage.
* All Semi-finals and Finals matches will be Best of 5 format.
* If each player has one stock remaining and the match ends due to a suicide move (Ganon's side-B, DDD's swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the player who initiated the move wins.
* Non-first party controllers must be inspected by TO staff before use in tourney.
* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
* Dave's Stupid Rule: You cannot counterpick a stage you have won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
* Player's Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process. In the event of a disagreement, house rules stand.
* Double Blind Character Picks: Players may elect to double blind pick their characters for the first match in case of any disputes.

Stage Strike from Starters for the first match of the set in "122112" fashion:
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes the next two stages.
3. First player strikes the next two stages.
4. Second player strikes one stage.

Stages

Starters

Battlefield
Dream Land 64
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams
Pokemon Stadium 2
Smashville
Yoshi's Story

Counterpicks

Dracula's Castle
Green Hill Zone
Metal Cavern
Pokemon Stadium 1
Rumble Falls
Wario Ware
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

After each match:
1. Winner announces TWO(2) stage bans.
2. Loser chooses a Counterpick stage.
3. Winner chooses their character.
4. Loser chooses their character.
5. Winner chooses their controller port (optional).
6. Loser chooses their controller port (optional).

Pool Tiebreakers

Hidden Message Show
Tiebreaker #1: Set Wins
Tiebreaker #2: Wins
Tiebreaker #3: Losses
Tiebreaker #4: Head to Head
Tiebreaker #5: One stock playoff [/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="General Rules"]-BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.

-Pause can be requested off and that request cannot be denied. If one pauses mid-match, the person who initiated the pause loses their current stock. If the pause causes the opponent to lose their stock (Such as interfering with recovery), the person who initiated the pause loses two stocks. If there is any doubt in the ruling of a pausing incident, stop what you are doing and CALL ONE OF THE TOs TO YOUR MATCH.

-You are responsible for your own controller and name tag.

-Coaching is allowed only between games, not during.

-DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.

-The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.

-Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available. [/COLLAPSE]

Parking

Parking is provided as part of the hall, it's literally like... part of it.

Setups

Please volunteer to provide setups we are in desperate need of:
-TV's
-Wii's/gamecubes (preferably wii's)
-Extension cords.

TO Contact
Bread (403) 804-5675
Bread@Smashlogic.ca

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Reserved for player confirmations and other notes.

Attendance charts removed until they can be estimated properly, for now the facebook event can be a rough indicator http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/161056874043537/

If people could please start letting me know the information as required per tables, if you can bring setups, if you know what events you're entering, as well as if anyone wants to prepay I don't even mind.

I humbly request that anybody who is interested check out www.smashlogic.ca and support us in making this a big tournament

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Just for clarity, are we doing modified DSR or regular DSR for melee?

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
As in Dave's stupid rule regarding Best of 5's?

Modified for best of 5.

edit: honest factor, I still need to trim the rules as I mostly copy pasted everything here

Taste

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I'd make Brawl dubs free or ppl will be too scared to enter lest they face yours truly. we can fight for a piece of food or something

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I'd make Brawl dubs free or ppl will be too scared to enter lest they face yours truly. we can fight for a piece of food or something
This is something I'm heavily considering because Brawl lately hasn't gathered much interest, but I'm hoping to stress the limits of the brawl community as they should step it up, I know they exist.

I'm going to be posting this on AiB and many other places today so I hope that I can garner some interest.

* Wobbling is banned.
please dont do me like that:(
Dude, it's like. Just do it in a way that isn't stupid.

Just learn hand offs and reselecting a main lol
fic'd

Stevo

Smash Champion
Ice Climber grab combos can look so cool. CAN look cool. With Wobbling on there is no reason to do the cool things.

Even Handoffs are kinda dumb, but I can live with them. Wobbling, while not broken, IS kind of lame.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
To cover that issue, wobbling is really only bannable if it lasts long enough for me to walk myself over there and it's still happening.

Like really.

Taste

Smash Apprentice
It's not that there is no interest in Brawl, you seem to misunderstand that. It's that I think financially most arn't in a position where they can throw out money willy nilly. I might even make singles free too, my most concern would be about wether brawlers would pay a door fee and or how they would get down.

I can bring a prize like some tasty cinezeo cinnamon buns and they can compete to win them from me. Win Ben's Buns! If I win I will eat them all, to the point of vomiting

PLUS if its free melee people will enter too. fun fun!

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
How about this, is anyone even opposed to all of brawl being free?

Edit: I would like to make any accomodations necessary so that it's not costing anyone a fortune to come and play

KillLock

Smash Lord
I want to come, Ron are you driving down? If so can I ride with you? I'll chip in for gas.

Also I'm not sure it would be worth going if Brawl was free, lol.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Thus is my dilemma Jack, I know edmonton wants a real tournament, while I'm being told that most of calgary may only even enter if it's free.

Let's allow some time to find out what is happening as I am ok running it for either $5 or free, depending on which is generally more wanted.

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
lol @crusayer try to do 1 handoff, just 1 and then tell me to learn how to 0-death with handoffs(they are not only weight specific but also stage dependant). all regrabs with ics are di-dependant and have been milked by me in calgary for so long i have to catch someone making a mistake to actually get a regrab off of anything, also if your interested in making hype games i would talk to arthur. you guys should be supportive of me learning wobbling in a tourney setting so i can get used to useing it under pressure. I cant believe how much support arthur gets for playing in a completely boring manner because he can win but i get discouraged to use the entirety of my char to win..If i went though winners bracket wobbling everyone 2-4 stocks then maybe you could consider it boring but if i get it once(realistically not even 1)i cant see anyone complaining about it being more boring then watching arthur laser someone for 4 mins.
also geniunely curious about what you find an interesting chaingrab with ICs if handoff isnt cool looking. the only thing i can think of is dthrow reverse dair chaingrab(only works on falcon and ganon and they can DI out of it) or chudat's horribly escapable pummel blizzard throw dair regrab chain oh wait there is blizzobling which 1 human on the planet can do not even do consistantly.
also to keep on topic somewhat i think brawl scrubs in calgary need to buck up and pay, if you cant afford it then its not really that important to you(right now im working in school on how to find emplyment for people with severly impairing disabilities so no johns) you could work around the house for extra money from parents or have relatives or friends pay you for your labour.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Tyson blows Arthur up for having such a non-aggressive playstyle lol.

Complaining about wobbling shows to me that you're heavily relying on that to win and severely lacking in other aspects of play. But I haven't seen you play before so I can't really actually say much. I just haven't seen an IC really complain about the rule for a long time. It's up to Brad if he wants to change it since you're the only one that even plays the character. I hope that you'll be able to prove me wrong when we get there.

@Jack, did you want to go just to win money from brawl haha

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Allow me to step in and say, I think Clarke wasn't really "complaining" about the ban, I'm pretty sure he's used to the conflict on the issue.

That being said I've never seen Clarke do a wobble in a serious match. I don't think he relies on it.

I do know he can do it though.

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
I was argueing about the psychological effect of having wobbling banned with no good reason. I have never successfully used wobbling in a tourney match and have been working on rounding out my spacing and fundamentals for the last couple months. the handoff is extremely difficult and as i said most of the regrabs available are known in calgary and i dont get good result using them. i think me wobbling someone in a tourney match would actually build hype in calgary players who know that i struggle with it. i just want to be supported to reach my personal best rather than having something i put alot of time and effort into learning be banned for really no good reason. i knew brad just copy-pasted so i wanted to make a request to have the ban removed. there are only 3 IC's players in canada and i dont think any can wobble consistantly so you guys should not really be bored of seeing wobbling.
these are the last recorded sets from calgary in melee http://youtu.be/tf_4nJ1XbBU to see your competition;) 1:09:17 to see my last recorded failure at wobbling

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Please include what events you'll enter (and hey, toss in a vote for whether you want brawl free of $5 and if that effects your choice of entering)

Clarke, I am a supporter of wobbling being banned, however I know you well enough to know you won't use it solely to win.

Wobbling will be allowed. Do NOT prove me wrong.

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
with that, i want to take the attention off of wobbling and onto the edmonton players who have said they would come/provide transport to others. SHOUT OUTS!

Crusayer

Smash Lord
I don't want to drive if I don't have to lol. Obviously, the less parent worries, the better so I'd hope to ride with Keith too \o/.

I'll be the back up if we do end up getting like 7+ people.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Figure out who's coming, what rides, etc ASAP so that I can attempt to find you guys housing.

edit: After some talk with the calgary brawl guys, I think the tournament for Brawl is gonna be free to enter. That doesn't mean there won't be a prize, but theres no promises. This is still open to debate, but thats my current decision. Plan as if it's the fact. Sorry Edmonton(Jack) but please come anyways and support the fun. It's not about money.

Besides, just win Melee.

edit: Brawl doubles is the problem, not singles. I feel like singles is gonna be $5. But I'm just labeling it this way as to not suddenly disappoint anyone if it changes.

KillLock

Smash Lord
Tyson blows Arthur up for having such a non-aggressive playstyle lol.

Complaining about wobbling shows to me that you're heavily relying on that to win and severely lacking in other aspects of play. But I haven't seen you play before so I can't really actually say much. I just haven't seen an IC really complain about the rule for a long time. It's up to Brad if he wants to change it since you're the only one that even plays the character. I hope that you'll be able to prove me wrong when we get there.

@Jack, did you want to go just to win money from brawl haha
it's not about the money it's about putting something on the line so people have the drive to win and play at their best

I'm down. I can bring a car full of people.
leeeegitttt, prettyhype

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Yeah Jack, I 100% agree. The only concern is people being ready/able/wanting to pay money.

I'm thinking doubles will be free and singles will be paid.

Hoping to make it more than worth the while of those who enter.

Sidenote: If we have extra time at the end (Who knows?) I would like to plan some crews/wacky events.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
It's 100% easy to get to I assure you.

I'm currently seeing if I can get a projector/stream setup going, as I have not actually procured the required materials

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
also geniunely curious about what you find an interesting chaingrab with ICs
hey stevo im still interested what chaingrabs/regrabs you find interesting?
also 100% easy? how can u measure how easy transportation is by percentile when everyone travels different distances in different modes of transportation?

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Basically theres 3 different stations/places you can bus from coming from the south, the west, and the north. Lots of options, all relatively quick, and fairly reliable.

it's just as difficult no matter where you're coming from, your 2-hour bus to dalhousie from crowfoot has little to do with the location (just trying to make a stupid example of how theres nothing I have to do with poor bussing in that regard)

Not to mention diriving it's just off deerfoot on a saturday.

Like, UofC is "easy" to get to, because it has it's own station. Still takes me an hour and a half to get there.

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
easy doesnt mean covenient, and your portrayal of calgary trasit as reliable and quick befuddles me.
and when i refer to convinient im not just talking about my travel time as i have 1 of the shortest for this tourney

Rush

Smash Apprentice
There are tons of factors that go into being easy to get to. UofC is very easy for many reasons. This isn't particularly easy, but doable I guess.

Doing projector+stream+TV you'll probably need 2 sets of signal splitting cables, since you want 3 outputs now, that's about it really...

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
If I do streaming I'll probably not do recording, since because twitch autosaves.

But I'm seeing what I can do, still need splitters because they are seemingly impossible to find now. Unless we want mono stream.

Regarding easy. I stand by what I said, leaving out the travel time of people who live far, which is something NO ONE can adjust to, travel time is negligable when calculating how easy it is to get there. Because it takes me an hour and a half to get to north calgary, same applies for north to south.

Once again, my basis of easy is entirely hinged on the fact that the busses to get to the hall are frequent, take like... 5-10 minutes once you are actually on them, and literally drop you at the edge of the parking lot. Oh, and theres lots of choices from all directions.

Stevo

Smash Champion
hey stevo im still interested what chaingrabs/regrabs you find interesting?
anything Chu does/did
anything wobbles and/or Fly Amanita do when wobbling is banned.
Basically.

my favourite is that clip where nana and popo pass the opponent between platforms. Really slick.

but like I said, you can wobble me all you want! (if you can catch me:cool:)

Top Bottom