• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The C-stick: the ultimate guide by AustinP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ꓰspeon

Sun Pokemon
First of all, I would tell the readers that tis is a re-posted guide. I opened it some months ago and it got closed after sometime for flaming. It helped a lot of people to fully understand the potential of this stick, and make someone think it isn't cheap as they thought. I mean, come on, why can someone even think about something that the game programmers intentionally put into this game can be called cheap? :ohwell:
The c-stick mostly works as a faster, easier substitute of some combinations of the controller stick + A button, and something else that I will explain down there, but it's not only that, because it can do something that the controler stick can't. Er, well, it can, but you can use both at the same time for better results (if you're confused with this statement, everything will be explained in the last part of the guide :grin: ).

Well, now it's time for facts, so read and, possibly, enjoy this guide. :)

These are c-stick possibilities everyone (or most people at least) know:

- In 1-p mode the only use for the stick is zooming the camera in or out, always pointing on your character, and that is bad. -_-

- C-stick is used for fast, uncharged smashes. This is a way to avoid the charging time and/or some mistakes pressing buttons (you can do a tilt or jump instead of smashing, you never know )

- C-stick can be used for throwing items strongly in the selected direction.

- C-stick makes aerials, and accordingly shuffles too, easier to perform, especially uair, becase you could double jump accidentally while tilting the control stick up (if you jump with x/y, of course). A good Peach should use C-stick for aerials like mad (Because of her complicated floating, double jump and stuff). To be fussy, using the c-stick while shuffling avoids the double tilting of the control stick, which makes things a little easier. An extreme case is bair or uair while running, a lot easier if you perform it using the c-stick.

- Smashing while crouch canceling (or ccing) is a very useful counterattack move at low % nearly impossible to perform without the c-stick. Personally I love CC downsmashing every move my opponents pull out (if I'm from 0% to 30% of course)

- Wavedashing keeps the control stick busy, so smashing with c-stick is a good and easy option. IE and IMO wavesmashing with c-stick is Luigi's bread and butter (or whatever ).

Now, here's the interesting point, the techniques not known by everyone:

- C-stick smashes can actually be charged. Just press A or Z while holding the c-stick. Relasing A (or Z) will result in performing the smash.

- You can instantly smash out of a dash or out of a grab using the jump canceling (JC), in other words pressing up on the control stick to kill any lag that would be normally there for deactivating the shield or stopping the dash animation. You can only JC an upsmash, and you can do it in 2 ways: pressing up on the control stick and pressing A (at the same time) or pressing up on both the control stick and the c-stick.

- Pivoting is a useful move to quickly pull out some moves out of a DDing (dashdancing): in the exact point while you change direction there is 1 frame (really a little time huh) while the character is standing, therefore it is possible to perform every move during that frame, even if it's veeeery difficult to perform any move but ftlt and fsmash. Even here c-stick comes in handy: as you're standing, using the C-stick you can smash in every direction a lot easier than using the control stick.

- C-stick is very useful when using the shield and its correlated moves (rolling and sidestepping): here I quote a RyokoYaksa's post:

"While shielding, you can use the C-stick to do certain things instantly and repeatedly (if you hold the C-stick).

Up: ground jump
Forward: forward roll
Back: backward roll
Down: side dodge

If you are lagged from an attack or otherwise left open due to lag of whatever form, you can use the shield and C-stick to buffer a roll or side-dodge so that it comes out at your first actionable frame. You don't have to time a control stick press. The uses should be pretty obvious."

And an Underdog's:

"It's not faster, just that if you hold down the button combo, L/R/Z and C-Stick Down, you will do a dodge as soon as you are able to. meaning perfectly timed dodge. or roll, or even jump!"

There is a technique known as "shield shifting", used when shielding: tilting lightly the control stick while shielding will make the shield move in the selected direction, useful for preventing shield-stab (hiiting someone with his shield activated, like Peach's dsmash does). This can be bad for rolling with the control stick, instead, because if someone rolls away from the enemy, it will result in a little shield-shifting, expanding the vulnerability time at the beginning of the roll even more.
Anyway, there is an exception for this: Yoshi, because of his particular shield, can't use the c-stick while shielding.

- C-stick is useful even when throwing, because keep the c-stick pressed while grabbing the opponent will result in a throw on the first possible frame, leaving the opponent really little time to imput DI.

- You can use the C-stick even while hanging on the edge:
up: attack
towards the stage: roll
down/back: let go off the edge w/out fastfalling

- C-stick can even be used to DI, together with the Control stick: every information you need about it is in the Doraki Di guide: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=60218

I guess that's it, thanks to everyone that corrected me months ago because they really helped me to write this guide.

Peeze

Smash Master
Wow i never new C-stick smaashes could be charged! But wouldn't that basically be just as easy as pressing >a? Plus one think i don't like is when using Sheik because of her speed i find it is easier to use a than reach down for the C-stick.

Tempest0538

Smash Cadet
Pretty useful.

Here's a minor detail that you may have forgotten to include about using Uairs, and may or may not make much of a difference, but I feel like throwing it out there...using the C-stick enables you to use the Uair while fast-falling at the same time, which is otherwise impossible with the control stick (unless you're in your second jump, but it's unnecessarily difficult). This can be useful for naturally fast fallers (esp. Fox/Falco) and makes shffl'ing easier for any character.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Wow nice. I might start using the C-Stick more because of this guide. There was some stuff here that I did not know yet.

Ami

Smash Ace
I never use the C-stick, but really cool tips, especially the one about throwing! I`ll definitely refer back to this guide when I decide to start using the C-stick. Nice stuff.

REØ

Smash Lord
The C-stick is more useful than I thought, i never knew you could charge smashes with it.

pdk

Smash Lord
Peach is a GIRL.
oh, what you don't know about what really happens in the mushroom kingdom...

anyway, nice stuff, pretty much only knew about aerials before reading this so keep it up

Captain_Obvious

Smash Journeyman
I don't see why people get down on the C-stick. It's a very valid and useful part of the game. You try kneeing someone with Captain Falcon while drifting backwards with their DI without the C-stick.

Anyway, good guide.

- Captain R.D. Obvious

ꓰspeon

Sun Pokemon
I don't see why people get down on the C-stick. It's a very valid and useful part of the game. You try kneeing someone with Captain Falcon while drifting backwards with their DI without the C-stick.
Yeah thanks I really need examples like this to explain how the c-stick can help :)
Anyway, I would point that the most useful c-stick technique is the DI helping. It's definitely something everyone does at high game level and sould be done at lower ones. Performing both control stick and c-stick DI really helps you surviving more, and that's something good regardless of your c-stick liking.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Wow I've never seen this before, and while I did know some things in here, I learned a couple new things. Anyone who gets down on the c-stick just doesn't realize how much it can help the flow of your play. I switch between c-stick and directional-A combos all the time, and I don't even notice it most of the time. Good guide. Just noticed I'm posting for the first time in more than a year on this XD

Lag

Smash Journeyman
Nice! I thank you for posting this information. Now that C-stick that I used to call "teh n0ob sm4sh sp4amz0rz" is now called "the C-stick...with numerous techniques." Thanks again, you have changed my views on the yellow C.

Stewie1288

Smash Apprentice
C-stick is particularly useful when using light characters with a lot of aerials. (Jiggly, M2) Control stick to DI yourself into striking distance and c-stick to use the desired attack no matter what direction you happen to be traveling.

Banks

Smash Hero
cstick is needed for running smashes, smash out of sheild, retreatng fairs, but other than that it is preference and doesnt REALLY matter. some things could be easier or more convenient for fingers though.

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
Dont take this as a flame but its a cheap tecnique and was only added for begginers. why do you think its so awkwardly placed, the wiimote control doesnt utilize it so does that mean that they corrected their wrong. Your a brilliant player thats for sure! And your also smart ,but this is like hitting someone in the balls because you think they might beat you up. this doesnt put your opponent to shame because he did not do so first but only justifies cheap shots.

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
My brother and my friends use this and i am still victorious. they often accuse me of using it because i put my commands in so fast i dont blink yellow. in the eyes of a c-sticker your comments are gold, and it really is a developed article, it is. please dont think im an angry man hiding behind a monitor because it isnt the case, because when you lost you cant say anything except"Rematch please". Forgive me if your post gets shut down for me or any misinterpretation that arises because of my post it was never/nor is it my intention to do so. You have a brilliant mind please remember me so we can battle when brawl comes out.

slikvik

Smash Master
**** MD/VA. I have no region. no really...
Dont take this as a flame but its a cheap tecnique and was only added for begginers. why do you think its so awkwardly placed, the wiimote control doesnt utilize it so does that mean that they corrected their wrong. Your a brilliant player thats for sure! And your also smart ,but this is like hitting someone in the balls because you think they might beat you up. this doesnt put your opponent to shame because he did not do so first but only justifies cheap shots.
My brother and my friends use this and i am still victorious. they often accuse me of using it because i put my commands in so fast i dont blink yellow. in the eyes of a c-sticker your comments are gold, and it really is a developed article, it is. please dont think im an angry man hiding behind a monitor because it isnt the case, because when you lost you cant say anything except"Rematch please". Forgive me if your post gets shut down for me or any misinterpretation that arises because of my post it was never/nor is it my intention to do so. You have a brilliant mind please remember me so we can battle when brawl comes out.
lol ur dum...

orintemple

Smash Lord
lol yea that guy IS dumb...anyway...

I used to never C-Stick and then when I started to use it my game improved a ton. I started using it to shffl recently and do more complicated stuff than just smashing and really noticed the improvements. So I say to everyone who reads this guide that it is a great piece of knowledge that should be used by all.

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
I disagree with your post CHAOSDRAGON88, the C-stick is an extremely useful aspect of smash and wall of pain would be much harder to do without it, along with other techniques.

:jigglypuf

bigman40

Smash Master
yeah I had alot of trouble getting better without using the c-stick, but after this guide it helped me a ton. if you want to call it cheap then its your loss but to others, its very useful.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It's already confirmed that the C-Stick does stuff in Brawl.

kook321

Smash Apprentice
i know the c-stick is really useful, but i think its so ackward. do u have any suggestions on how u might hold the controller to avoid reaching across for the c-stick.

kook321

Smash Apprentice
how often do people usually use the c-stick? of course i see when u could use it but do pro use the c-stick for the majority of the match or only when necessary

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Wow, I was going to make a joke noob post, but I don't think I can top what CHAOSDRAGON said. That's some great stuff.

Banana_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Well, definately an awesome guide to the yellow C!
I knew most of it but learned some things such as the C-stick-for-throwing thing.
I use the C-stick to fastfall uair, and while that is a very very very situational move, it is capable of getting me a kill when the situation arises.
I also use it for running bairs.

As for the noob stigma attached to the C-stick... Really, the programmers allowed us to use it, so we can use it, period. There is no magical barrier that prevents any human being from using it.
It's always funny when people think you can "cheat" at video games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom