• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledgehopping with Ganondorf?

Ensee

Smash Ace
I just can't do this. Do you have to have the fingers of God to do such an amazing feat? No but really, does it take ultra fast fingers to do this because every time I try, I can never ledgehop an aerial, no matter what.

Reese

Smash Journeyman
If you are trying to do a ledgehop, then yes if have to be very quick in order to do this.

If you are trying to do a ledgehop-> aerial, you have to use the c-stick as well as the control stick.

I think the only aerial you can do from a ledgehop is a uair thou.

Just keep practicing, you will get it eventually.

G&Wismyhomeboy

Smash Cadet
Somehow I am able to do this and regrab the edge - but it's hard. Tilt the control stick away, then rotate it 90 degrees so it points up. Hit A as soon as you can possibly do an Uair. Watch out for failed edge regrabs - be ready to use UpB to get back.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
I recently got the hang of doing this (mostly uair), but the key is to tap the c-stick down or away as lightly as possible. If you do that, you can even get back on without using Up-B. =D

Sensai

Smash Master
It's only Uair, so far as I've seen. And you're right, it's difficult when you first get started on it. That and wavedashing from the ledge for me were the two trickiest things that I've encountered with Ganon.

Now try doing an Uair onto the ledge, like Tipman did. Freakin' impossible...

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
o.o i can get back on with a uair without using the c-stick. it might help you guys but IMO it hinders me because of finger speed. good stick control is more reliable than finger speed when trying to recover.

btw if you master the timing for the ledge hop, you can shield and roll into the stage right away. it's quick.

also, if you can ledge wd (air dodge has to be horizontal... don't worry, it's easier than most would think.) it sets up lots of things

if ledge wd brings you behind your opponent....
- ledge wd to roll = lots of distance, safety room between you and opponent. (wizard foot can also give you distance)
- ledge wd to fsmash can give your opponent an unexpected elbow in the back. if he shields this you are safe, because he normally ends up hanging on the ledge or falling if he shields it, and he can't shield grab it either.
- ledge wd ftilt.. difficult, but crazy fast
- ledge wd up-B. why does the lvl 9 cpu love this move so much? it outprioritizes lots of things and goes through shields. if the opponent is over 80%, this will most definitely knock them off for an edgeguard.
- ledge wd grab/jab. fast.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
the only aerial I can do from the ledge to the level is Uair (I can dair but he lands before his hit box comes out so it's pointless). what I do is I press down and Y at the same time I find this is the easiest way to ledge hop aerials

Sensai

Smash Master
I spent some quality time training with Ganon last night.

I can now do the Uair onto the stage now. I'm so thrilled.

Given, it's not much more useful right now then looking cool, but I did figure out how to do it. Here's how:

Ledgehop so that you're going to land on the stage, and when you are SURE you're going to land on stage, then hit up on the C-stick. Works for me enough to get the tip of the toe right at the ledge.

Kada

Smash Journeyman
I used to think that a ledgehop waveland was impossible to do. But it was wierd, I actually got it right away today, for absolutely no reason. I could just do it O_o

But yeah, Uair is the only aerial you can ledgehop and actually make it back onto the stage with. But sometimes a ledgehopped fair, using an up-b to make it back on can throw off your opponent some. Not to mention it gives you plenty of space to make it back up. :laugh:

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
It's actually quite simple if you lightly tap the c-stick away to let go, then immediately following, press up and towards the stage while you push up on the c-stick. I got that one down after a few tries, you just need to make sure you use the c-stick if you're a beginner (it takes godly fingers to do it with the analog alone)

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I use the analog and the Y button and it really doesn't do anything to hinder me.. maybe i am GODLY hehe just kidding but yea thats what i use its possible

Sensai

Smash Master
I don't use the C-stick to do it at all, as if you push it too hard you are dead from doing a move. Either that, or you're easily edgegaurded.

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
I use the c-stick to do the uair. Basically to ledgehop onto the stage i use a quick quartercircle sweep from down to towards the stage. I have to be in the right mindset in order to do this. And i've yet to be able to waveland from the ledge.

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
umm, not that it's of any use, but you can also Nair on to the level, not that hard either. I don't like the feel of using the cstick to uair on to the level, but it's alot easier.

my ledge hop wavelands, I die a good 80% of the time by air dodging on to the ledge instead of wavelanding, VERY FRUSTRATING. but I want to master it for my matches because it's so beast

edit - also it was mentioned earlier that ganon can uair and regrab the ledge.

I'll need magus to answer this question, but if done correctly, is it possible to do invincible ledge grab uairs, repeatedly? that would be an intimidating thing to come back to if you ask me.

Stormblast

Smash Journeyman
well im not magus but i am a decent ganon too :p and i think it is very possible to do invincible ledgegrab uair, at least it you are invincible a good 90% of the time you are uairing.

but yeah, magus can give you more reliable answer

technomancer

Smash Champion
You'll be invulnerable during the better part of the hitbox if you do it as fast as possible, but it's easily punished on landing.

Magus420

Smash Master
You can be invincible throughout the entire attack portion of it, but you won't be able to regrab the ledge before your invincibility runs out and will be vulnerable for at least 6 frames. That would be pretty beast if it were possible though.

I generally do the ledge regrab u-airs and ledge hop onto the stage u-airs differently from each other.

To regrab I usually do a very quick 1/4 circle away to up on the control and press A right as it reaches the up position. Since I generally only do this instead of landing on the stage with it for the extra range, doing it this way makes you doublejump away from the ledge slightly giving it significantly more range than most methods. To get the absolute max range on it I'll also sometimes hit away, jump with Y using my index finger, c-stick the u-air, then start holding back towards the edge with the control stick, which is kind of like how I do u-airs onto the stage.

To land on the stage I do it similarly to what Frozenserpent said. I do a quick 1/4 circle from down to towards the stage. I only tilt down though before moving left/right to prevent fastfalling, then press Y once the analog gets to left/right, then press up on the c-stick right after that, and then l-cancel. I double jump stall using my thumb on the X button to jump, then when I want to ledgehop an u-air I move my thumb underneath the c-stick and the inside of the first digit on my index finger ontop of the Y button. Though the transition might be awkward for most people, it's 2nd nature to me from using Peach and floatcancel u-air comboing and such. I find this way to be SO easy if you can switch to it without much thought.

I never really liked using the c-stick to let go of the edge personally though. Didn't like the idea of falling with a b-air if I were to hit it a little off.

Something most people don't realize is that what's most important is what direction you are holding when the jump is initiated, and much less so what you hold afterwards. The direction you hold on the analog the instant you begin to move from the jump determines your main jump trajectory, and then from there you can move around slightly using air control on the analog. For example, you can let go of the edge, jump while holding towards the stage, immediately let go of the analog completely the moment the jump starts, and the jump trajectory will still carry you well over the edge anyway. The same principle applies to ground jumps, only it takes the direction right as you leave the ground after the startup lag not when you press the jump button (since an air jump happens immediately and ground jumps do not).

phish-it

Smash Champion
What I really want to know is how Tipman used to ledgehop then immediately waveland off the ledge and jump back with a f-air. It's easier to do with Falcon because of his higher 2nd jump but it's almost like you don't leave the ground with Ganon.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Tipman was also a god at the dorf so we can never really learn some of his techniques haha, maybe magus can but the rest of us are stuck with muscle memory for years :) :chuckle:

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
this just in, my consistency on ledge dash improved 10 fold! I can ledge dash so well now after reading magus advice on the tilt down to jump 1/4 turn technique. it takes really delicate fingers.

a good way to do the ledgedash to roll is when you press over and L for the waveland, hold L and then cstick over. you can actually start the roll before you stop wavelanding.

I am totally psyched about my new ability, too bad it won't have a huge effect on my game until it becomes second nature.

Kada

Smash Journeyman
It's the wierdest thing, but I've been practicing my edgehop wavedash, and I actually use different button combinations for the left and right sides of the stage.

If I'm hanging off the right side of the stage, I hit back on the c-stick, x to jump, and then I waveland on. But if I'm hanging off the left edge, I use the control stick to fall off the ledge. It's really wierd, but I can't c-stick the left edge, and I can't control stick the right one O_o.

But, even with both, my consistency is about 90%, so I'm happy with it. :lick:

AtomICON

Smash Apprentice
the way I do it is I flick the c stick down and then the control stick up almost at the same time. it works almost every time, also the only aerial I can get onto the edge with is a Uair. ONCE though, I somehow made it up with Down air. I don't know how but I can't do it again no matter how long I sit and try.

Mars-

Smash Champion
I have seen Eddie ledge hop to forward air onto the ledge, and still hit people with it. I don't know how he did it though.

Tundravalco

Smash Journeyman
i dont know if anyone said this already but i like to have my finger press down on the cstick and press up on my analog to ledgehop. works out pretty well for me if you want to give it a try.

Bwmat

Smash Ace
I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but ledge-hopped nairs are possible.
The first hitbox just BARELY comes out. Hard as hell to do though.

I can do a ledge-hopped uair onto the stage with just the control stick, but many times i accidently fair and only just or even fail to reach the stage after an up-b :(

Top Bottom