• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pro Impact BI-WEEKLIES - Calgary, AB

kithkin

Smash Champion
sweet connection!!

and kevin, i'll take 25 **** for a set of us, erferably you using one of your mains (marth and pika if nothings changed)

as well as john, i wanna take up your offer, i dont know who i'll make you choose yet, not shiek thats for sure.

and i'm confirmed for the bi-weeklie if you havnt already got me randall.

(by the way, my PIC matches arn't right away, maybe later in at the bi-weeklie, but i havn't played smash in 3-4(?) weeks (since the last bi-weeklie i attended) and i really need to make sre i acn still play, as well as right now i cant move my left thumb like at all...)

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like this next one will be quite the crowded event again!

I guess I should showup and bring some snacks 'n a TV...

I guess...

maybe..

Perhaps if they're doing WoW server maintance...

kithkin

Smash Champion
Chad get your *** down there or you will be smoten.

not to mention it gives people like me a chance to get first.

and you dont want that to happen now do you?

kithkin

Smash Champion
They all play smash before? or are they learning like you?

wait, imma check the list to see what its looking like.

edit: oh i guess theres tons of space still.

BKB

Smash Cadet
They all play smash before? or are they learning like you?

wait, imma check the list to see what its looking like.

edit: oh i guess theres tons of space still.
Well, since it is on Sunday (instead of Saturday like i thought) it looks like Matt and Wurvey probably won't make it because of work. I dunno if Jjohn is coming either.

Either way, we're all old-school Street Fighter players who just started playing smash. So nothing to worry about. lol

BlueBlueGlassMoon

Smash Rookie
Sorry I couldn't make it to last tourney.. I wont be able to make it to this one either. Last one, I was busy with easter crap (and Alex wasn't picking up his phone), and this one Alex is at band camp so I won't be able to get a ride there. Sorry guys :(.

mach5

Smash Journeyman
how many people are attending this time? because my friend paul wants to enter too. this is going to be a hot biweekly that will probably crash randals computer

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
I regret to inform whomever it concers that Smash at Levi's on Friday has been cancelled.
I appolgise for any inconvience this may cause.

kithkin

Smash Champion
how many people are attending this time? because my friend paul wants to enter too. this is going to be a hot biweekly that will probably crash randals computer
Wait why? this one appears to just have a few new guys... not like the cascade of 20 people that one time.

I regret to inform whomever it concers that Smash at Levi's on Friday has been cancelled.
I appolgise for any inconvience this may cause.
concers? occurs?... oh wait concerns. imma leave that there cause i'm ********. and quoted you to correct you on what i got wrong.

oh and Elvi, i'll talk to my dad, theres a good chance he'll do the way back.

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
Troy, my good friend from Fort Mc.Murray, is down for the weekend! He'll be attending the tourney, although he doesn't really play Melee.

However, he's still quite good at Smash64, so if we could setup the 64 on one of the TVs I bring, that would be pretty awesome.

Is this possible, Randall? And how are your 64 controllers? Are they like Levi's, where they're so worn-out, you can't even run with them?

kithkin

Smash Champion
hahaha. 64 smash, primitively awesome.

LVLVLVLVLV, Important! My dad can't do the ride back cause of stupid family dinner thing.

but that means we need a a ride back still.

edit: he said he can do the way there if you wanna trade. but if not, we need a way back

kithkin

Smash Champion
Ooooooh, someones making it interesting!

a John x Gary gPIC set of 5? I say yes.

Guy guys guys, I dont suck all too much after not playing smash for 4 weeks.

and my hands dont hurt like they usually do (pending hurt likely) although my jaw does. but whatever.

SMASH AHOY!

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Fair enough.

Oh, hello, by the way, I'm Randall, I'll be hosting today's tournament despite several days of complete silence from the Pro Impact house.

BKB

Smash Cadet
All my buds bailed on me. I can't make it. :(

I'll keep practicing for the next one though. Thanks for coming over yesterday Infil.

kithkin

Smash Champion
you didn't have to count it if you both agreed on it (assuming randall didnt care)

and hay randall, I left my coat at your place. I'll pick it up next time.

also, levi you still made it back up, and i should be whining about mine and rileys tiebreak set. (if it mattered at all) (and if it wasnt my fault completely)

mach5

Smash Journeyman
you didn't have to count it if you both agreed on it (assuming randall didnt care)

and hay randall, I left my coat at your place. I'll pick it up next time.

also, levi you still made it back up, and i should be whining about mine and rileys tiebreak set. (if it mattered at all) (and if it wasnt my fault completely)
lol kith you were up two stocks and got cocky and lost. i thought you even had it too

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
L+R+A+St

Pro Impact BI-WEEKLY Smash is temporarily cancelled. Due to circumstances well beyond my control and far-removed from anything smash-related, I do not have the capacity to administer the tournaments in this fashion at this time. My sincerest apologies to everyone involved, especially the newer players who haven't had the chance to attend as many events as the regulars.

And now for the FAQ:
  • B-but..but..but why??
Since I've developed a reputation as someone who puts more effort into fueling the smash community than most, a sudden cancellation of bi-weeklies and halt of progress in general appears to be the result of taking on too much responsibility and I'd like to assure everyone that that isn't the case. I try very hard not to take on more hobbyist work than I can handle and although this particular facet of it expanded quicker and larger than I anticipated, that's not why the bi-weeklies are cancelled. Instead, as important as smash is to me, I have to resolve my more immediately relevant personal problems before anything. The main thing to understand is that the only reason they're being cancelled now is so they can return soon, bigger and better than ever. If I continue to host them under these circumstances, there's no guarantee that will happen.
  • Just how long is "temporary"?
The competitive SSBM community is getting to be more popular than ever and I'll be the first to admit that this is the worst time for me to cancel progress and tournaments. Smashers don't wait, so my temporary leave can't be too temporary. On the other hand, I can't give you an exact date either because deadlines and scheduled tasks are precisely the kinds of things I'm trying to avoid during my leave.

I can tell you that there will definitely be tournaments in the summer, hopefully as early as June. With the likes of Fox Machine in town, it's best to get as much collaborative smashing going on as possible; plus, people just seem to be more likely to be able to attend during summer months.
  • What about the bi-weekly results/requested match videos/pending highlight reels/ProImpact.ca/PICoinage, etc?
Due to an overheated video card, the computer that stored the results from Pro Impact BI-WEEKLY Smash #14 made short work of the saved data and I lost it all. Thus, before I can post those results, I will have to watch the tournament again. They will be posted eventually, but I'm not setting myself a due date for anything smash-related right now, so bear with me.

Your requested videos from previous matches will be uploaded some time over the duration of my break, again with no specific deadline. Additionally, there will be separate highlight reels for both March and April.

ProImpact.ca has been a heavy source of industrial and financial stress since its inception, however it too will be brought fully online by the time the tournaments have returned. All the profiles will finally be completed to properly represent each smasher and the win-loss data will be updated, as well as the Coin Banks for each of you.
  • What's in store for future tournaments? And what do we do in the meantime?
I've been playing catch-up with this local smash scene for awhile now so the main thing you can look forward to for future bi-weeklies is hopefully...well...everything. When I originally started doing this, I tried to do everything in my power to elevate the tournaments to a better-than-average level of professionalism and marketed the "Pro Impact" name as one of dignified class and universal appeal for all smashers regardless of skill and experience. Since I have been unable to do that up to my own standards in recent months, I'm going to use this break to idly poke at the things on my to-do list whenever I feel like it rather than every day. This way, I'll be better able to clean up the website, get those videos done and uploaded and be all ready for when the tournaments start up again. I'd like to be able to approach it with a clean slate and now that we have an established community of smashers that probably aren't going anywhere anytime soon, it allows me the chance to catch up on things without having to worry about the whole idea disintegrating due to a lack of interest. Odds are, if I had decided to cancel after the third bi-weekly, the community itself might not have the strength to start up again and I hope and expect that you can all perpetuate your enthusiasm in the meantime.

This probably sounds like pretty bad news, but I must stress that it is temporary and I'm not exactly going to disappear off the face of the earth, either. In fact, during this leave, I intend to host as many tournaments as I can! Odds are we'll at least see Pro Impact Random Rumble II before the bi-weeklies come back in full swing. For those of you who don't make it to every tournament, you likely won't even notice that they stopped!

But as for future tournaments...

I've made a lot of observations from the tournament director standpoint since starting these events and I can hopefully use them to improve future tournaments in what ways I see fit, but I would like some feedback from you guys as to how the whole operation is running. The main question that seems to have hindered the growth of the community (if only minutely) in my opinion is this one:

Is Sunday good for you guys?

We are one of VERY few SSBM communities that has bi-weeklies running on a Sunday and the more tournaments I run, the more I get to thinking that there's probably a pretty good reason for that. Sunday was perfectly okay when there was no other competitive play at all in the city, but since more people have begun to take interest, we seem to continually run into the problem of Sunday just not being a good day for a lot of people. Even players who haven't expressly stated that Sunday is a bad day yet still haven't been to tournaments are probably more likely to be available on a Saturday.

The only reason I chose Sunday is because it happened to be a good day for me at the time, but I think I'm changing my time management in general, so I'm open to suggestions for another day. Most people probably aren't too warm to the idea of a bi-weekly on a weekday; that would probably hinder attendance even more than Sunday, you never know. Nevertheless, let me know what you think about Saturday or any other day you feel like suggesting.

----

A big thank you to everyone for showing up to these and providing the very lifeblood of what makes this sort of thing work. Again, I'm sorry that I have to cut them off for a little while and I most definitely do not want to, but sometimes that's just the way things go.

Time for a reset...

Infil

Smash Journeyman
Heh, good luck dealing with the various issues, Randall. I know exactly how it is.

In the meantime, we should not get together under the "tournament" moniker and, instead, just meet up for random Smash.

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
Hurray for Random Smash!

Well I look foward to your return, Randall. I hope everything works out well for you. I've enjoyed every last one of the bi-weeklies you've held and I'll contiune to attend future ones.

See 'ya soon.

mach5

Smash Journeyman
noooooooooooooooooooo randallllllllllllllllllllllllllllll no one will ever replace you!!!!! but yeah it was fun while it lasted, and i look forward to the future ones too

Top Bottom