• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Smashboards Questions Thread. Ask site-related questions here. (Staff answers preferred)

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
Suggestion...

Las Pictoras is a monster of a thread, probably the biggest on SWF in general. Seeing it, other members (including myself) have made picture threads that aren't directly based on just the pictures of members' faces (pets, gaming, etc.) Then we see other threads based solely on a video link, to which the rest of the posts before the close are commenting on the video (which would be easier to comment on the video page itself).
So, why don't you guys have Member Category (under general discussion or something or an entirely diffrent window) section of the site, where instead of filtering through pic and vid threads in the Proom or whatever, people would create a single topic under their name and post their photos and videos there.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
And why isn't Mic a supermod?
Because I'd take my Smash-room-related frustrations out on the whole forum, creating a new era of darkness, which would be futher helped by CK and EE and we would yadda yadda doom, ect.

That plus FDV's a super mod and we can't have more than 1 Aussie Smod ;)

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
poor Mic :(

but we all know Mic is teh best Aussie mod eva right?

xD

Oh that's it you're in trouble now...

what happened when you could buy your way into the smashBR and BR?

now its only the VIP Pass....

what is the VIP pass for anyway? and what does it give you?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
When members were allowed to buy their way into rooms that usually required work to get into, it lowered the uniqueness of the rooms. The VIP Room is for Premium members only usually where Gid get a feel for what they think and such.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Not to mention that most never posted in either of the BRooms after getting premmieness.

Seed of Sorrow

Smash Champion
Hasn't the amount of mods become unreasonable. Honestly, is there really a need to have a mod for the Rubbish bin? I didn't even think that was even used.
And what is 6/30?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
With exception of the Rubbish Bin mod, we have a very good ratio of mods to members. All current mods are doing their job excellently, why scale that back?

6/30 was when SWF was to close, but the contract came through in the end.

So, why don't you guys have Member Category (under general discussion or something or an entirely diffrent window) section of the site, where instead of filtering through pic and vid threads in the Proom or whatever, people would create a single topic under their name and post their photos and videos there.
No, terrible idea. Las Pictoras is created to make one huge list of pictures of the members (and vids) anything else is not needed.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
When making a new event, I tried to copy and paste the "Link to thread" in the space provided, but there wasn't enough room...

http://smashboards.com/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=494&day=2007-7-4

That's the event I made... notice how the link is just http://smashboards.com/sh .

It wouldn't let me put more than that in there... just thought I'd let all y'all know. I remember making events before though-- so my computer might just be pretty ********. Anyone else having the same problem?

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
In response to the number of mods:

Most of the recent modships granted have been in preperation for the release of Brawl. We forsee a large increase in traffic, as evidenced by the sustained presence of ~800 users during the launch of Smashbros.com .

The Rubbish Bin position has a tradition of being a "faux" modship. I myself had it at one point ;) if the rubbish bin mod presents some good ideas on the staffer shack, than he (she) is potentially awarded a more serious modship.

All other recent appointments, however, are a testament to how much Smashboards has grown in recent years. We have 10 regional rooms, each requiring the attention of 2 mods. We have the melee rooms, the character specific rooms (25 right there), and the Brawl rooms. We've gone out of our way to recruit knowledgable members from their respective regions and areas of expertise, rather than the traditional "promote someone from the Broom" strategy.

Frankly, the boards were under-modded before. So, you will also be seeing a bigger turnaround for mods. As an example, Eorlingas was nominated to replace Drab after the latter became inactive.

Apologies to anyone that thinks Azua's modship is excessive. But, rest assured that there is a rhyme to our reason for the surge in moderators. After all, have you been in the Brawl rooms lately?

Seed of Sorrow

Smash Champion
Could, or would there ever be consideration for an "artworks back room", or is that a little excessive? Maybe, not even an artworks back room, but maybe a separate subforum for tag battles, artwork contests (DWYP/WWYP) or something. I just thought that it could be a good way to raise awareness of artwork emporium, and maybe attract some good artists.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Shinobi, as long as you can type out most of what you want to talk about, or scan it. Don't just say "Did you guys see article X in magazine Y? Whoa!"

And Seed, it depends on how much support something like that might get. The AE is one of our less-frequented rooms. We'll have to look into it.

Seed of Sorrow

Smash Champion
Another question, I remember in the past there was a member list under each sub forum that would tell which members were viewing the page, what happened to that?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
McFox, If I remember correctly when we discussed the possibility of making a Back Room for creativity (art and writing combined) the issue came up that we'd make the public rooms devoid of that same talent and new people would never see the good stuff.

SoS, we got rid of it due to security issues, I believe. It was annoying.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
No, it was due to stability of the site after the board upgrade. It was useful.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Premium
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Har de har; minor spam.

We are geeks. It's like our Jesus Fish symbol.
Can I have another infraction, Mr. Crimson King? Pretty please? :rolleyes:

EDIT: Thanks, Mic! Also, despite being a "required field" there's a uselessly small character limitation on the "Link to Thread" field when creating a new event. No thread URL on this website would fit.

EDIT: Also, Canada now has a regional zone, but it is not an option from the Create Event drop-down list, either, as it still retains the old "USA+everyonelse" layout.

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
Yeah, we need new Brawl avatars, what with Dojo updated almost every day and everything :laugh:

Anyways... Is nudity allowed to be expressed on smashboards via pictures if it is related to paintings?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
No, absolutely no nudity directly on SWF at any time, ever.

If you do want to do something artistic, make VERY CLEAR warnings all throughout the topic, and link to wherever you are hosting it. As long as the warnings are blatantly obvious, and you don't post it directly on the forum, but link to it, that would be okay.

Sariku

Smash Master
Where is the Crew/Clans Section in SmashBoards Index

What happened to the Clan/Crew section in the Smash Boards Index? I could of sworn it was there, but I cant find it anymore. Me and some friends was gonna make a crew, so I wanted to check out the rules and such there, maybe make a thread. Thanks.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
It was for the Forum RPG. Since the RPG is on the backburner for now, it was taken down, since all it really was being used for was a place to spam.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Are there going to be new avatars for Brawl? If no and the issue is that no one wants to make them, can I make them and submit them anywhere?

Matt

Banned via Administration
Occasionally we have submission topics for new avatars in the Pool Room. And, since you mentioned it, expect a new one soon.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
When trying to post a new topic, I get the "Page cannot be displayed" page.

It's when I click the New Topic button, not the submit topic button. I tried posting at my friend's house, too. Is there some sort of glitch, or does the internet just hate me?

Sariku

Smash Master
Crew/Clan Section To Make a Return?

Hey, its me again. I talked to Mic for a little bit about this, and decided to post it here.

I noticed that the Clan/Crew section, for the RPG thingy, has been taken down recently. Now, I wanted to possibly make a crew, depending on what it was like. But I went on Vacation, and didn't want to get too involved till afterwards, but then it disappeared.

So I thought, maybe you can put a new kind of Crew section back in. Not for RPG, but for Smash Crews. It can be for anyone, from Pro Smash Teams to New ones, from online Brawl crews to SmashBoards crews. I recommend that this, could be a great way to get users to interact in their own threads.

For example, the Dawn Patrol, they aren't a Smash Gaming crew, not yet anyways, maybe online. But for now, they just stay in the SmashBros.com sticky, and "spam" (there words, not mine) it till the update. Now I don't got a problem with that, but I think it would be awesome for them to have a thread to talk about, and spam, whatever they want. Now they can almost do anything in it, except major things, duh, like flaming, mature content, and such. But spamming would be okay, since its their thread. But only if their members. Sort of like the rubbish bins rules. (I cant go there, but I heard about it.)

Then there could be the Pro Smash teams, like... I realy don't know any so say. But lets say Kens team, him and them could post anything they want in that. Other people can post in there threads I guess, I can't think of that part, but I'm sure people like Gid could. But either or, I think that would be a great idea, so other people could make crews and just get alittle more user interaction going on.

Please heavily think on this.

~ Sariku

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
Hey, its me again. I talked to Mic for a little bit about this, and decided to post it here.

I noticed that the Clan/Crew section, for the RPG thingy, has been taken down recently. Now, I wanted to possibly make a crew, depending on what it was like. But I went on Vacation, and didn't want to get too involved till afterwards, but then it disappeared.

So I thought, maybe you can put a new kind of Crew section back in. Not for RPG, but for Smash Crews. It can be for anyone, from Pro Smash Teams to New ones, from online Brawl crews to SmashBoards crews. I recommend that this, could be a great way to get users to interact in their own threads.

For example, the Dawn Patrol, they aren't a Smash Gaming crew, not yet anyways, maybe online. But for now, they just stay in the SmashBros.com sticky, and "spam" (there words, not mine) it till the update. Now I don't got a problem with that, but I think it would be awesome for them to have a thread to talk about, and spam, whatever they want. Now they can almost do anything in it, except major things, duh, like flaming, mature content, and such. But spamming would be okay, since its their thread. But only if their members. Sort of like the rubbish bins rules. (I cant go there, but I heard about it.)

Then there could be the Pro Smash teams, like... I realy don't know any so say. But lets say Kens team, him and them could post anything they want in that. Other people can post in there threads I guess, I can't think of that part, but I'm sure people like Gid could. But either or, I think that would be a great idea, so other people could make crews and just get alittle more user interaction going on.

Please heavily think on this.

~ Sariku

I had an idea like this somewhat,with a few minor changes.But overall I think it's a good idea.Give each clan their own thread.There would have to be standards to get your own thread,because I know that everyone and their moms would be making a " n00b clan thread".Also,since I know people get angry at spam,why not have the posts in the respective clan threads not count?

Blackadder

Smash Master
I think this is all a neat idea, (Though I'm pessimistic over if it'll ever happen anyways) but with the whole "Not being able to edit" thing, Blood wants me to add this:
He would also like to know if we can have password protected threads, and
if the mods are willing to consider, letting a few of us "Write up a petition thingy, with rules and regulations".

On a personal note, I would like to state that the thread shoulden't have a post count, as spam would become a problem.
I thinks thats all, and I hope the mods give us a least a bit of feedback.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
When trying to post a new topic, I get the "Page cannot be displayed" page.

It's when I click the New Topic button, not the submit topic button. I tried posting at my friend's house, too. Is there some sort of glitch, or does the internet just hate me?
Yeah, there's a glitch going around. Expect it to be fixed soon.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Randall made me laugh out loud, but guys, please don't answer questions unless you are a moderator. It adds too much congestion.

Flaco, you know what a director is because you were one.

Top Bottom