• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Tecnique. DLX-Hit-cancel.

DanteLink X

Smash Rookie
Hello. I am a pro Melee player, and I got Brawl a few days ago, I've been looking for tecniques and whatnot, and I found something really interesting and useful. I've called it DLX (DanteLink X) Hit-cancel, What is it about? it consists on cancelling certain moves after you land them on your opponent (it can be both, direct hit or shield).

The easiest character to do this is Falco, just do his running kick (press A while running) then the exact same moment it lands on your opponnent, press up+A (can be both, smash or non-smash and it will work, it only does his Upsmash anyways).

It looks really awesome, because its like 2 moves right after the other, if done correctly you will hit your oponent with the running kick then the upsmash in one smooth looking motion. Really useful in combos. (Throw your opponent down, running kick, into DLX-hit-cancel).

Also, a sound will confirm that you did it ok. It takes timing, but after a while you will see its really easy to pull off. Enjoy.

VIDEO PROOF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4kxLGxfpJw

Updating soon with Mario and Fox vids.

Most people have agreed in naming it DLink (DashLinking) or DL for short
Special note: For it to work, you need to have used your throw on your opponent.

SilintNinjya

Smash Apprentice
if this is true, i think we can just call it Hit canceling...naming it after yourself is just....i mean...seriously?

and if anything, your not canceling the hit =\

Wuzzy

Smash Cadet
Really...now. Not to sound mean but this flux of "advanced techs" is ridiculous, esp. since a lot of them are...basic. Including this.

Let me try! Hay guys, if you up Smash with character X and if they get propelled in the air, you can follow up with a jump and the A button! I call it Wuzzyisthebest aerial.

JJnew

Smash Cadet
I can confirm it (it was done to me over and over T.T), Its like the dash attack animation was suspended to give space to the up smash.
I belive it was intentionally design so that several hits can be linked.
It makes you think that it will probably have diferent dlx hit cancel on every character opening a new meaning to combo in smash.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Is this really true? Because most 2D fighters such as Melty Blood and RBO use this mechanic...

And the name won't last. If this is real, it will brobably be called "Linking" like in other games.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
hmmmm....sounds promising could u try it with ike plz and tell me the results with and w/o the cancel plz?

Superstarmario

Smash Journeyman
Really...now. Not to sound mean but this flux of "advanced techs" is ridiculous, esp. since a lot of them are...basic. Including this.

Let me try! Hay guys, if you up Smash with character X and if they get propelled in the air, you can follow up with a jump and the A button! I call it Wuzzyisthebest aerial.

I generally disapprove of casual know nothings, but that was hilarious.

The point of these kind of techs is to eliminate lag as much as possible. Faster the better.

Spellman

Smash Ace
Mashing the A button repeatedly until the desired effect happens is called TSOT. "The Spellman One-Two" for all you folk who haven't been properly introduced to the term.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
I can confirm it (it was done to me over and over T.T), Its like the dash attack animation was suspended to give space to the up smash.
I belive it was intentionally design so that several hits can be linked.
It makes you think that it will probably have diferent dlx hit cancel on every character opening a new meaning to combo in smash.
Sweetness. I think I'll add this to the official techs thread to see if anyone else can confirm it and see if it's indeed a valuable technique.

Rang Flash

Smash Journeyman
At first I thought this was a joke topic with him naming the tech after himself, but on second thought this tech might become really useful. If it works.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
This would be great if it's true. I'd like to see video confirmation. But yeah, if it's true then people with laggier dash attacks would be in the green.

DanteLink X

Smash Rookie
It is true, it completely cancels the running kick animation into Upsmash animation. So both hits will be landed consecutively.

I have been lurking around these forums for a long time, you can tell by my sign up date, and I didn't though people around here where this mean, I just wanted to share this with u guys and give credit to myself, cuz I was the one that happened to find out about it. I name it hit-cancel, because you ARE completely cancelling the remaining animation of the move into another move. So yeah, go try it, and enjoy it. I will post vids later today.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Indeed. Someone else with the game, go try this.

Basically, it's the same as in traditional 2D fighters. You have to input the command during the hitpause.

Oh, and TC, you obviously havn't lurked enough. Nobody is going to respect you if you are immodest enough to name techs after yourself.

Anyway, good find (if it's real). It just seems fishy because nobody else has reported this after the game has been tested for weeks now.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
At first I thought this was a joke topic with him naming the tech after himself, but on second thought this tech might become really useful. If it works.
I was going to post: "Is this a joke?" But he did say he'll have video soon.

I'd called it Attack Chain(ing)

Wuzzy

Smash Cadet
I generally disapprove of casual know nothings, but that was hilarious.

The point of these kind of techs is to eliminate lag as much as possible. Faster the better.
So because I have 2 posts here I am a casual know nothing. Awesome. What my first post was getting at wasn't trying to flame the OP. I was just thinking that pointing something like that out is...hardly an AT, maybe it will prove useful but (IMO) does not derserve to be deemed an AT.

Superstarmario

Smash Journeyman
So because I have 2 posts here I am a casual know nothing. Awesome. What my first post was getting at wasn't trying to flame the OP. I was just thinking that pointing something like that out is...hardly an AT, maybe it will prove useful but (IMO) does not derserve to be deemed an AT.
I didn't refer to your postcount at all. Just seemed like the typical and oddly obligatory casual smash troll in AT threads. Because it typically goes:

User 1: [Preposed technique]

Troll: THAT'S STOOPID!

or

Troll: Stop making these glitches and ruining my brawl!

Though I explained my reasoning, you did yours. Nonetheless, welcome to Smashboards. I hope you're prepared for everything that's ahead.

Rang Flash

Smash Journeyman
If it's real I think it's an AT. Anything n00bs generally don't know about from regular play I would consider an AT.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
Usually, if it's not in the manual or if it's hard to perform, it's considered an AT.

Myst007_teh_newb

Smash Journeyman
It is true, it completely cancels the running kick animation into Upsmash animation. So both hits will be landed consecutively.

I have been lurking around these forums for a long time, you can tell by my sign up date, and I didn't though people around here where this mean, I just wanted to share this with u guys and give credit to myself, cuz I was the one that happened to find out about it. I name it hit-cancel, because you ARE completely cancelling the remaining animation of the move into another move. So yeah, go try it, and enjoy it. I will post vids later today.
I think that a lot of people just aren't comprehending what you're talking about. Videos would be infinitely better in explaining this whatever tactic you found out about.

Naming it after yourself is a little iffy, though, considering how, for this to be possible, the developers must have intentionally done this. Therefore, you didn't technically 'discover' anything.

Wuzzy

Smash Cadet
I didn't refer to your postcount at all. Just seemed like the typical and oddly obligatory casual smash troll in AT threads. Because it typically goes:

or

Though I explained my reasoning, you did yours. Nonetheless, welcome to Smashboards. I hope you're prepared for everything that's ahead.
My first welcome! Thank you good sir.

On topic: A video might change my mind of this being basic rather than an AT.

BlargCow

Smash Journeyman
lol DLX- Hit-cancel. You didn't have to name it after yourself.

Break

Smash Apprentice

or

You really misinterpreted his post. All he said was that it seemed like a simple, common sense technique that was not really complicated enough to be deemed "advanced".

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Seriously though, this kind of cancel is a standard combo mechanic in most modern 2D fighters. If it's real, then it's a game mechanic, not an AT.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
well he still found it, it may or may not be an AT but its just as useful as one

SuperMajinLink 287

Smash Lord

OMG! lol, I pissed my pants from laughing so hard reading your 2nd statement.

OK, well, not literally, but you y'all get the idea.

Anyways, I'd like to see proof of this video because the character I'm going to main will find this useful...

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Lollz, I don't care whether or not it's "advanced". This sounds awesome! Seriously, I sure hope that every character can do this.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Yes, it is very useful. This kind of mechanic is most popular in sprite-based fighting games. Inputting a command during "hitpause" will cause your character to drop their previous animation entirely and start a new one.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Its a tad disappointing most of you have seemingly taken more interest in the choice in name rather than what this could open up for the game. I mean what if the upsmash also can be linked to another move or two in this way, so on and so forth, while equally allowing chances for the defender to perhaps avoid or counter one of the link possibilities but not another, a type of rock paper scissors mind game for combo continuation. All speculation, but really, count the number of posts that are solely there regarding the naming or responses to such posts (which i know, includes most of this one) I at least look forward to any and all further investigation on it, especially since you presented it as "the easiest character to do this with..." have you had success with other characters already as well?

-True

Top Bottom