• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Ganon Vs. Brawl Ganon

Renth

Smash Hero
Ganondorf in Melee general meta game.

Ganondorf in melee is based around his aerial game and almost nothing else. When it comes down to it the only way to speed up Ganon in melee was to simply wavedash/land everywhere which I did ... a lot. Back air, Rejump back air, ect. Ganon in melee was all about throwing out an attack throwing up another jump and immediately shooting out another attack in attempt to make it look like you're vulnerable from the first jump.

General Gimping. (melee)

A huge part of his game was the easy gimps mostly on fox and falco while they attempted to forward b onto the stage and you'd simply down angle a forward tilt. When it came to higher tiers gimping was the only way, Falco would combo Ganon to 100% Ganon would hit falco twice and gimp the recovery and it'd be evened up.

Note: These two things combined worked together and made Melee ganon into a very fun character.

I strongly believe Ganons biggest downfall in melee was is recovery options of which there were few, if someone knew what they were doing at anytime you'd use down + b to recover you'd instantly get punished and die.

Brawl Ganondorf Meta Game

Now we are all working together from scratch trying to take the new ganondorf from garbage to very fun all over again.

From what i've seen a lot of his game is based off of tricking people into shielding and getting a free forward b grab into combos such as: Forward b, instant d air, up smash ect. I'm finding his ledge game to be very effective in many situations.

More Ledge Tricks.

If you flick down/away and re-jump naturally you'll grab the ledge again right? Well if you hold directly into the stage with the joy stick and push forward b he'll go above the stage very slightly it looks like he's on the stage. If someones standing there you'll instantly Ganon-cide, if they are a little further away it simply drives them into the ground. It's very useful in a tight spot.

Note: Also, the timing on almost all of Ganon onto the stage tricks are awkward and the timing takes practice.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I've noticed if you do Ganons aerial forward b 90% of the time your opponent will do a get up attack. simply shield and grab OR what I find interesting you can shield and up smash out of it if you don't want to take the easy grab.

So basicly, Melee Ganon was all about speed and gimps, I believe Brawl Ganon is all about tricking people to get into their shield and ledge tricks.

General Gimping (Brawl)

Discovered by ~Shin~

EVERYONE Should do this technique he is a genius for coming up with this. Immediately after you "FootStool" Jump do an aerial down b, chances are it'll either spike someone into the stage and you can usually follow up or it'll kill them off the top of the stage.

If used correctly, you can back air from the ledge onto the stage and knock someone away as they're recovering and completely take out any chances of them getting on the stage/ledge.

Ganons Forward tilt is an amazing kill move i suggest it over most things.

I'll be making a thread soon discussing ganons match ups.

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
nice work - u really pointed out the way of the New Ganon, and i like those little tips and tricks there.

Slowly bringing Ganon to the Top, keep it up

Phazon Warrior

Smash Cadet
Great job. I need to work on Shin's technique, since my footstool jump needs some tweaking.

Also, I'm looking forward to the match ups. It must be an astronomical task with the number of characters in the game now, but I know the Ganondorf community will help out in any way they can.

T03nemesis

Smash Rookie
What's footstool jump? i'm not familiar with that term.
if you jump right when u are on top of another character you will get a free jump off thier head (extra high too) and it will stun them for a second too

El Drago

Smash Cadet
these tips are great! the ledge grab - ganoncide is awesome and pretty consistent, and the footstool spike is freakin BA, but u gotta be johnny on the spot

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
From my visuals, I've noticed a few changes.

*Dark Dive is less reliable in Brawl compared to Melee
*Flame Choke is more abusive than Melee's Gerudo Dragon
*Ganondorf's d-air is still a mighty meteor smash
*Ganondorf's u-smash appears to be more reliable in Brawl than in Melee

Overall, Ganondorf is still a nasty powerhouse, even with those changes.

MetaKnight63

Smash Apprentice
I think it depends on the person.

Sure, the Dark Dive sucks, but logging in a few sessions with him should be no problem.

I had to adjust too because Ganondorf was more difficult to control in Brawl, but he turned out all right.

Still a BA in my book.

Devilution

Smash Journeyman
Ganon always will suck major balls. He did in Melee and he still does in Brawl. He is easily one of the funnest characters to play though. The only reason why people would have trouble with him is because not that many people play him...I mean seriously Linguini, Renth, Magus, Eddie, and Chaddd. Those are the good ganons. I only played Ganon because he was fun. Ganon is still fun in Brawl mainly because you atleast have autocancelled short hop dairs, uairs, and bairs. Not to mention his Ganoncide. It always feels good to be getting combo'd by a Pikachu and then he goes past that edge and you Ganoncide him. That's about it.

Top Bottom