• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is short hop pre-jump lag shorter then full jump pre-jump lag?

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Hello everyone! This is my first post here, and I created this account mainly to ask this question that I've been searching around forever looking for answers to (without succes). Although I have read the forums for quite some time, and all of the guides, frame info and advice here has helped me so much in improving my game. Thanks alot! Especially to CunningKitsune for his Fox Guide, SuperDoodleMan for his frame data and Gimpyfish for owning in general.

What I mean by "pre-jump lag" is the time it takes for the melee fighter to enter air. The reason I am wondering is because I want to know if I need to think about wether I am short hopping or not when I time my Wavedashes. (Because if the short hop pre jump lag actually IS shorter, the timing would be different depending on if I short hopped or not before the wavedash)
I know that the All the Terms thread by AlphaZealot says that short hops come out faster which might be referring to what I am talking about, but I want to be sure and I would like to have frame data on this. I have checked out M2Ks SSBM statistics list and SuperDoodleMan's frame data, but they don't mention difference in short hop pre-jump lag and full jump pre-jump lag (as if it doesn't exist?)

In short: If anybody knows for sure wether short hop pre-jump lag IS shorter then full jump pre-jump lag or if there simply is no difference I would be endlessly grateful if somebody gave me this info.
Thanks alot!

BTW If you don't want to read my wall of text you can just look at the title

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Seeing that the EXACT TECHNICAL WAY to execute a short hop is to let go of the jump button before your character leaves the ground. Therefore the game decides whether you're shorthopping or regular jumping the frame your character leaves the ground. The pre jump delay shouldn't be different from a short hop.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Seeing that the EXACT TECHNICAL WAY to execute a short hop is to let go of the jump button before your character leaves the ground. Therefore the game decides whether you're shorthopping or regular jumping the frame your character leaves the ground. The pre jump delay shouldn't be different from a short hop.
True but let's say it's like this: The game decides to short hop exactly when you let go of the button, if it before the pre decided full jump pre jump lag. So for example if you're playing bowser with his 8 frame pre-jump lag and you press down the button for 2 frames, bowser will short hop on the 3rd. Just a guess.

Top Bottom