• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

C-tap DI, new DI technique?

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if this is something new but I was practicing my DI against zelda's up smash (which i seem to be a magnet for) and I noticed I can survive much longer against this attack if I use normal DI to the side and continuously TAP the c-stick down. Here's the breakdown against zelda's up smash with no charge:

1. No DI = died at 110%
2. Side DI (the right in this case) = survived till 120%
3. Side DI + tapping c-stick down = survived till 140%

If it's new great, if not, well atleast more people now know. Also, if anyone else has any tips on living longer please share.....

note: I already know that not taking damage and avoiding attacks helps my chances of surviving, thanks

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
do you know how it operates?
what makes it different from normal DI?
The difference I notice is that it allows you to pull yourself away from the attack a bit while it is in action (test it out if that doesn't make sense so you can see what I'm talking about)

interesting. whats your c-stick set to?
My c-stick is set to smash attacks

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Yeah, using the c-stick gives you automatic-smash DI (ASDI).
In Melee, I thought DI-ing down against vertical attacks like Fox's u-smash didn't do anything =/ So you would have to go more to the side..
Is that different in Brawl?

Doval

Smash Lord
ASDI is gone. This is Smash DI. It's not exactly common knowledge but it has been known for a while.

And no, it's not any different in Brawl - normal DI is still ineffective in the same or opposite direction of the attack. It always works at an angle, with the max change in angle occuring if the analog stick is perpendicular to the attack's knockback.

soloSHADOWROB

Smash Journeyman
What's the percent you die at when you DI down normally and air dodge?
since that is the current standard for DIing as far as i know
Explaining myself
you cant DI down but by pressing down on the c-stick while DIing you will survive much longer =]

massimo009

Smash Cadet
just wondering because im having trouble finding a only DI post, what is DI and how do you do it?

Ark098

Smash Cadet
do you have to smash perpendicular to your trajectory before you're sent flying? or does the influence kick in as you hit the analog stick during any point of your flight?

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
Smash DI is universal. Though I'm not certain if one character can DI better than another in Brawl (I'm prety sure there is a difference)
I think it depends on the weight on some characters. In melee, link can live for a long time, as to jiggypuff can live until 90%. Maybe it works the same way in brawl.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
I think it depends on the weight on some characters. In melee, link can live for a long time, as to jiggypuff can live until 90%. Maybe it works the same way in brawl.
It's either weight or just their natural DI. I'm not one to go that in depth with the game, but the tactical discussion board is bound to have your answer.

TwinTurbo

Smash Cadet
wow, ive been DIing opposite to the knockback for years...holy **** im stupid...and this smash DI is interesting...thanks! this will probably help me in the tournament im going to today...

Skarmbliss

Smash Cadet
Just to let you know. Today i played a game against someone with an Uber DI. His Game @ Watch managed to suvive Snakes foward tilt move at 176% and took place at Final Destination. It was sick and I dont know how he did it.

qmann28

Smash Apprentice
why? and to answer your question, doubtful.
I've had my C-stick set to "Attack" for awhile just because I'm horrible at doing tilts.

Let me see if I have a handle on how this works. If you're sent flying upward, you do normal DI to the side and you tap the C-stick down right? Does that mean if you're sent flying to the right, you DI upwards and tap the C-stick left?

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
I've had my C-stick set to "Attack" for awhile just because I'm horrible at doing tilts.

Let me see if I have a handle on how this works. If you're sent flying upward, you do normal DI to the side and you tap the C-stick down right? Does that mean if you're sent flying to the right, you DI upwards and tap the C-stick left?
Yes, that would be correct. To check and see if setting the C-Stick to attack changes this feature, do what Ich Bin did. Go into training mode against a Zelda and see what percentage you die at when she uses Usmash.

Finns7

Smash Ace
It was wierd one time when playing against zelda I got out of it.

Finns7

Smash Ace
Yeah It was a while ago and I prob did not get in it fully. Idk I gotta test it out.

4Serial

Smash Lord
you mean hit lag lol
there is no hit stun in brawl
hit lag is like... falcon's knee, zelda's f-air/b-air, marth's tippers, a lot of smash attacks, etc.
it's basically a few frames where you are hit in the attack and if you input DI while it happens, your DI is really strong

qmann28

Smash Apprentice
........you get out of it with smash DI......

smash di works during hit stun and only in hit stun im pretty sure
Okay, this is going to sound really noobish, but isn't smash DI what the OP was talking about with the C-stick? I thought you can only do that in the air.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Okay, this is going to sound really noobish, but isn't smash DI what the OP was talking about with the C-stick? I thought you can only do that in the air.

Its not noobish, its a completely legitamate question. When you're Usmashed by Zelda, you will be in the air, therefore, able to smash DI out of the move.

qmann28

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I finally got around to testing this and unfortunately for me, setting the C-stick to attack makes you lose your smash DI.

On "Attack," I died at about 120%, which is the same as just normal DI.

But when I tested it with B-sticking, I died at about 125%. So I guess B-sticking is a little better than just normal DI.

4Serial

Smash Lord
Holding your control stick in a direction = normal DI
Holding c-stick in a direction (set to smash attacks?) = automatic smash di (ASDI)
Slamming/hitting/quickly moving the control stick while you're in hitlag = smash DI

you do NOT have to be in the air in order to DI.
you can DI/ASDI/smash DI hits when you're grounded like if you get hit by Marth's f-smash.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Wait, so you normal DI perpindicular to the knockback and smash DI against the knockback?

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Hmm some of this is unclear to me, but I know that in terms of ONLY the 'normal' DI, the best way to survive against a horizontal launcher attack is to hold diagonally upwards and towards the stage. (so, if u're being launched horizontally to the right, u hold diagonally left-up)

4Serial

Smash Lord
That's one way, you can go completely up too + using c-stick to go into the stage helps
but brawl broke a rule that melee had with DI
you can DI with the control stick INTO the stage with the c-stick and the knockback on what hit you goes a little less.

Top Bottom