• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Glitch - Super Secret B-Stick in Brawl

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if anyone else has found this, but this made me laugh so hard when I discovered it five minutes ago.

Everyone remembers the B-Reversal, right? Of course you do*. Well, this makes use of the same late-input principle.
*if not, I won't tell anyone. ^ ^

- Super Secret B-Stick in Brawl
How to Perform: Press B to initiate a neutral B. Before the animation begins (immediately after pressing B), smash up, down, left, or right on the C-stick.
Effect: Character does NOT do their neutral B, but their Up, Down, or Side-B, depending on which direction you pressed on the C-stick.

I haven't detected any advantage at all to this, but I thought I'd share anyway.

*Edit: Testing has proven that there is absolutely no advantage to doing specials this way. No startup or post-attack lag is diminished, no canceling frames exist, and no new opportunities for directional specials opened up. You can B-reverse with the Super Secret B-stick with slightly later timing than that described above. Super Secret B-Reverse has no benefits either, but is still a good laugh.

Last edited:

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
Haha. I don't think it has any mindgames potential since the change occurs before the animation even starts. More testing is needed, of course, but I believe that it maintains all of the properties of a normally-performed B-move. It could probably be B-Reversed, Wave-bounced/Recoiled, etc, but doing any directional special with this method is so impractical, why would you? ^ ^

*Edit: testing confirms zero benefits to this technique. See top post for details.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Wow, this is hard to do, but cool.

Looks like now you can even press B first to do a special. the burref system in brawl has really improved.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Everything was slowed down to help with the

4 ways to play

This can be expected

Vro

Smash Lord
So you're saying the C-Stick will override button inputs if set to the same button...

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
Close, but not quite. The C-stick doesn't override button input, but acts as an alternate method of directional input. In short, C-stick directions can be used in place of joystick directions, but with much tighter timing. Still, it's highly impractical, unless you have an extremely modified controller or three thumbs.

JJ259

Smash Apprentice
Close, but not quite. The C-stick doesn't override button input, but acts as an alternate method of directional input. In short, C-stick directions can be used in place of joystick directions, but with much tighter timing. Still, it's highly impractical, unless you have an extremely modified controller or three thumbs.
Oh no! the three thumb'd people are finally taking their place as the masters of all videogames involving controllers. (they already took over guitar hero)

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
Couldn't it be used to Do a forward B move while DIing back, or do retreating B moves?

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
You can already Recoil Special in the default config, adumbrodeus.

And Jewdo, are you sure this isn't just... doing directional specials with the C-Stick? You know you can do that, right? Just press B and the C-Stick in a direction and you get a directional special. There's probably a number of frames which the two inputs can be apart and still register, rather than just one frame, which is impractical in the extreme.

I don't see any marvel here. If this is as I described, then no, this does not present any easier way to Recoil Special without B-Sticking. The already existing way is just as good/fast, strictly speaking.

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
Guess not. ^ ^

@Taymond - it probably is just late-input frames for C-stick+B specials. The time frame for inputting the Super Secret B-Stick is just a few frames (anywhere from 1-3; I'm not quite sure) after pressing B, and the effect is the same as pressing B and the C-stick simultaneously. Oh well. I had a good laugh at it, regardless of the cause. Also, you're right - there is no advantage to using this technique. I just saw a fairly stupid bug and thought I'd share it with the community.

Top Bottom