• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A guide on fighting Metaknight

∫unk

Smash Master
Disclaimer: I am not claiming Marth has an advantage over Meta, or vice versa. The better player will win this matchup. I'm also not claiming to be good. Take my advice or leave it. Constructive criticism also appreciated. Flaming or ignorant comments will be ignored.

As you all know, Metaknight is a tough matchup for Marth. He also happens to be one of the most popular tournament characters, meaning you will need to know this matchup like the back of your hand.

The things I list below work.. but ultimately YOU WILL NEED TO PRACTICE. If you face a good Meta for the first time in a tournament, you will lose. Marth tends to be the 'aggressive' character for most matchups, but against Meta you cannot be the aggressor if you want to come out with the W.

Some of the things I list seem absolute, and in a tourney I would honestly stick to them unless you know your opponent very well (which you may after a single match). In friendlies though do anything crazy and daring you can think of... you might find some reliable methods that will improve this matchup.

Here's what Emblem Lord has to say about the matchup:
Emblem Lord said:
Metaknight - A close match. Remember your zoning as always. Pressure his shield if he backs off with well spaced fairs and d-tilts for the most part. Make him approach then when he does force him to get past your fairs, f-tilts and d-tilts. His rushdown is a bit better and so is his pressure. Don't try to aggro him, since you will do better if you force him to take action. If he gets you into air don't panic. You have your counter and your airdodge to fall back on. You could also use neutral b to push you into the air and mess with his spacing/timing. If he is edgeguarding you then you can try to hit him, but it might be rough since he is fast with compareable range. You are better off airdodging or counter. Your up b has alot of speed and priority. It can beat out pretty much anything, so if you are low don't be afraid to use it to plow right through MK. If you want to edgeguard him you have to be precise. I prefer ledge dropping and then double jumped Bairs since they have good knockback. But be careful. Don't try to constantly challenge him since he can use shuttle loop and it can stage spike you. If you think he will use it be sure to hold up as you do your aerial. This way you won't get stage spiked if he uses it and you will DI up. He is light so all your kill moves work well and be sure to punish any mistakes with Dancing Blade. If he approaches with a special move just counter it.
A lot of information there. I'll try to list a few other things that I have found to work:

1) f-air zoning is extremely important in this matchup. If you can keep Meta from getting inside your f-air range then you're golden. SHDFair and SHFFFair are way better than any SHNair. This is because Marth's f-air will hit a Meta rushing on the ground, while a SH n-air will go over his head if he's dashing. You can try to FF the SH n-air, but the timing is more difficult and more punishable.

2) Never go into the air against Meta. You will lose. The only time I'm deliberately in the air is for f-air zoning.

3) Never try to gimp Meta. You will get gimped instead. Just wait for him to recover. If he's gliding towards you, stay the !@#$ back. His glide attack will beat you more often than not.

4) d-tilt, swipes (just a on the ground), dancing blade are your friends. These are your
fastest and least punishable ground attacks. Dancing blade is the more reactive of the 3 choices, but the best thing you can do is constantly mix it up. Keep in mind that it's better to do only 1 swipe or 1 dancing blade if the Meta isn't getting hit by the attack (as in stop doing it if they aren't getting hit). The second hit of the neutral a ground combo has more lag, and if you miss the first dancing blade and continue it will be extremely easy for the Meta to predict and punish you.

5) Avoid smashes unless you can kill with them (or there's an obviously opportunity to do it). This will let you kill them earlier as your smashes will be at full strength, in addition, Meta can punish all of Marth's smashes pretty easily. Similarly don't attempt shieldbreakers as if they don't break the shield then Meta will quickly bring the ****.

6) If you are getting aerial *****, You have Dolphin Slash, Counter, Air Dodge. There's also aerials, but I would look at the other options first. They all have their pros and cons and are extremely dependent on the situation. Play around with all of these to learn their situations (there's just too many variables to list which ones are optimal for which situations, like Meta's %, stage, position on stage, what you've been doing up to that point, etc.)

7) If Meta rolls next to you, SH, roll away, or Dolphin Slash. He will likely go for a d-smash if you're at higher percentage, and otherwise a quick start up attack such as f-tilt, neutral a, etc. You CANNOT shield his d-smash then try to attack him back. He can d-smash twice before you can get your shield down to most moves.

8) Stay in the center of the stage. Meta has one of the best gimping games, and you don't wan to test it out. Taking a d-smash or shuttle loop near the edge is almost guaranteed death if you don't DI correctly. It's much easier to just avoid the mess by keeping meta on the outside.

9) Walk around. This is to counter his b moves, dash attack, and dash grab. It allows you to immediately switch directions to a dash (if only we had wavedashing...). This is useful because once you see the meta charge you, you can immediately dash away and see what the Meta was attempting, and punish accordingly. Otherwise shielding his approach moves just requires quick reflexes, particularly the b moves. If you do happen to be getting hit, DI perpendicular for the drill move (most common situation is him going sideways, so DI up), and DI up for the tornado. Those are the fastest ways to DI out of their attacks.

10) Be unpredictable. This sounds obvious and cliche, but this is one of the most obvious traits of a good player. Not only are they doing the "normal" good things such as spacing and using appropriate tactics, but occasionally they will do a move that makes you say "wow I wasn't expecting that".

Bottom line: Meta is trying to get inside your blade range. You're job is to keep them out. Stick to your non-laggy ground attacks.

P.S. I like Battlefield against Meta (and most chars actually)... Dolphin Slash under the center platform is too good. Yoshi's is probably my least favorite stage as the base is so small there's not enough space to abuse your f-air zoning.

undyinglight

Smash Journeyman
This guide covers Marth's options fairly well, perhaps include a section on how you could utilize grabs against Meta Knight.

Demonstormkill

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-6919-7589
Questions/input for whatever it's worth (it might seem negative but its just my opinion):

4) d-tilt, swipes (just a on the ground), dancing blade are your friends.
How effective can swipes be? I'm skeptical... Sure they're relatively low risk, but you don't get much when they hit, do you? Between fair, dtilt and dancing blade, I rarely throw in a swipe. If you could explain specifically what to use them for, it would probably help me see where you're coming from.

2) Never go into the air against Meta. You will lose. The only time I'm deliberately in the air is for f-air zoning, which is essentially used as a swipe on the ground that you can space and has less lag.

3) Never try to gimp Meta. You will get gimped instead. Just wait for him to recover. If he's gliding towards you, stay the !@#$ back. His glide attack will beat you more often than not.
You're a little too absolute here imo, wouldn't want people to get the wrong idea. First of all, if you can predict what meta will do in the air, it would be kind of silly not to go and punish him for it. Don't forget that counter can make marth competitive in the air even against meta's superior attack speed. Also, you make gimping him sound impossible, which doesn't seem to be the general consensus around here. No doubt it's very dangerous, but if you're selective about how and when you go after him you can limit the risk to yourself and keep MK on his toes. Notice Emblem Lord doesn't tell you to avoid it entirely, and you yourself emphasized the importance of being unpredictable, which means not limiting so many of your own options.

Otherwise, I think you brought up some good points in this post.

∫unk

Smash Master
How effective can swipes be? I'm skeptical... Sure they're relatively low risk, but you don't get much when they hit, do you?
No, you don't get much damage out of a swipe. It's similar to a grab. You can follow up with a SH f-air or dancing blade combo if the opponent's percentage is low. But keep in mind something as good as d-tilt also only hits once with no follow up. You can continue to chase against most characters, but against Meta you just back off after one or two hits. Swipe is used as part of the zoning game. And just in case you missed it.. you only do one swipe, the second one is slower and has more lag at the end.

You're a little too absolute here imo, wouldn't want people to get the wrong idea. First of all, if you can predict what meta will do in the air, it would be kind of silly not to go and punish him for it. Don't forget that counter can make marth competitive in the air even against meta's superior attack speed. Also, you make gimping him sound impossible, which doesn't seem to be the general consensus around here. No doubt it's very dangerous, but if you're selective about how and when you go after him you can limit the risk to yourself and keep MK on his toes. Notice Emblem Lord doesn't tell you to avoid it entirely, and you yourself emphasized the importance of being unpredictable, which means not limiting so many of your own options.

Otherwise, I think you brought up some good points in this post.
Fair enough... I was hoping with my last point of unpredictability that people would understand that there are no absolutes. However, in an even match against a Meta I will not go for the gimp even if I could.

Marth's tactic is to stay towards the center, and going out to meet Meta goes against that. One air dodge and now you're on the outside and Meta has the upper hand to gimp you. The key here is that Meta has multiple jumps while Marth has to get around with 2, which makes Meta much better in the air and off the edge. The only Meta's I have been able to gimp are ones that are strictly worse than me.

That said, if the Meta is predictable, then of course go for the highest damage highest impact attack you can get out of it. I was just writing in generalities. In this matchup something like SH shieldbreaker for approach just never works, even when it's not expected.

undieinglight said:
This guide covers Marth's options fairly well, perhaps include a section on how you could utilize grabs against Meta Knight.
Ah okay, I will add a grabbing section sometime in the next few days. Unfortunately fthrow -> sh double f-air doesn't work against good people :(

KaosKun

Smash Cadet
Swiping is a good thing to through into your style. I, personally have a problem with seeing distances and in a game that bases itself on spacing i need non laggy techniques to consistently remind me of my spacing. thats why i usually swipe, its marth's second longest attack range, next to shield breaker. very quick and lots of range therefore against M. Night shamalan doing so would be a good thing, he has a short range.

and the arial game of meta knight is far superior to marth's. UNLESS YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU CAN GIMP HIM, i wouldn't bother. MK's dair can potentially knock you further away and kill you. He can also up b and fly to the stage while you fly towards your death. Arial combat against metaknight should be avoided unless of course you know for certain you can gimp. Plus MK is light, dsmash and upsmash can kill him quicker than gimping.

I think you bring up a lot of good points and a good method of attack on meta.

~Rezzoun (SFO)

KaosKun

Smash Cadet
Not sure what you mean here. Ftilt and Fsmash both have clearly longer ranges than swipes...
they probably do however the swipe is a very basic quick spacing tool that won't get punished that often. Most don't expect it and i can see how things are relative to it. it just helps me game plan. plus the ftilt and fsmash have way too much lag to use for this particular case because they are easily punished if missed.

Demonstormkill

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-6919-7589
I know this very well, and considered it from that perspective, but then why mention shieldbreaker as a tool with better range? The same applies to it, hence the confusion.

KaosKun

Smash Cadet
I only mentioned it because i believe its marth's greatest ranged move, please correct me if i am wrong. I also combo with it and use it to space myself in the combo because of the knockback it has. It's just something i mentally do in my style of play. its kind of how, or from what i notice, when OBM plays his GW he throws out a couple of turtles to space himself and some chairs. at least when i play him.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Nice guide man, very informative, well written. Hopefully later on we can add to this once we find out even more about the matchup.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Nice guide, and I agree that spacing is an important tool for winning against meta-knight. Counter is a good one though, as MK is pretty aggressive.

∫unk

Smash Master
UPDATED ORIGINAL POST

Okay I tested a lot tonight in gimping Meta... I still wouldn't recommend doing it at a tourney unless you're down 2 stock or you really know your opponent well.

Sometimes when you're edge hogging and he comes towards you, if you do the ledge drop double jump d-air it will spike them, but more often than not it misses, then the Meta shuttle loops, then you're dead. I found waiting a quarter of a second before the down air (so wait a little after you drop from the ledge and hit jump) instead of immediately going for the spike results in more success, but its still a losing situation. That said, I recommend everyone who plays against Meta in friendlies to keep practicing gimping him. Most of the time you'll die but that's okay.

B moves just require super quick reflexes. You can shield all of it, and DIing out isn't too bad. It's just annoying that you can't punish it. I find walking instead of dashing to be the better approach, so when meta attempts some shenanigan you can immediately dash away the opposite direction then turn around and punish them with an aerial or pivot grab.

Overall, this matchup isn't one where you can go around mindless f-airing and win. It requires super concentration, while the Meta can pretty much do whatever the !@#$ he wants and still do decently :(

I personally have much more consistent success busting out G&W on his a$$ and abusing turtle + d-throw -> d-smash (yeah they can tech but they don't do it every time... plus there's the tech chase to up smash which is just as good).

∫unk

Smash Master
Haven't got a video yet guys sorry... The metas around me suddenly decided to play very predictably and poorly (or maybe my tactics are just working lol), so there aren't good matches recorded.

Anyways bump because this thread is actually useful. Oh and if someone finds something, wants to add anything speak up, because you'll be playing this matchup a lot.

-Frozen-

Smash Cadet
Awesome guide for sure, hopefully it'll help alot of people out for a good strat Vs MK.

Just a quick Q though.
Haha, I actually haven't tried it yet,(none of the people I play against use MK unfortunately, so it'll be hard for me to start training on this strategy) but it is possible to stop MK's tornado with a counter, correct?

∫unk

Smash Master
Counter works but sometimes it doesn't it and it's hard to time because the Meta can just wait for you to approach. But yes, it's pretty reliable.

If I'm in the air and it's coming at me fast I would use Dolphin slash if they're at higher percentage or a retreating f-air.

If I'm on the ground just shield then ****.

If I'm already stuck in it DI up.

AcidJazz

Smash Apprentice
The drill is easy to stop. Block it, run usmash or dancing blade.

I say block the tornado and try to predict when your opponent will run away from you. If you get it right, you can get dancing blade in. If you find yourself a little late, go for a grab. Just do what's safe but you definiltey can get dancing blade in if you predict your opponent! There is a lag after the move.

Grabs are underestimated by a lot of people. They're so important because they're like the opposite of an attack.

Yeah what junk just said :)

GhettoSheep

Smash Journeyman
I personally have much more consistent success busting out G&W on his a$$ and abusing turtle + d-throw -> d-smash (yeah they can tech but they don't do it every time... plus there's the tech chase to up smash which is just as good).
lol, that's the strategy i find most effective too. G&W is much easier to play against MK and kills him obscenely quickly.

However I find this match kind of fun with Marth. It's never easy but it's always an epic battle to say the least. This is a great guide though and I think it will help a lot.

Eltrotraw

Smash Journeyman
9) Walk around. This is to counter his b moves, dash attack, and dash grab. It allows you to immediately switch directions to a dash (if only we had wavedashing...). This is useful because once you see the meta charge you, you can immediately dash away and see what the Meta was attempting, and punish accordingly. Otherwise shielding his approach moves just requires quick reflexes, particularly the b moves. If you do happen to be getting hit, DI perpendicular for the drill move (most common situation is him going sideways, so DI up), and DI up for the tornado. Those are the fastest ways to DI out of their attacks.
I wouldn't say do this too much, because the Meta could continue to dash forward to try and get you. He does outrun Marth iirc.

It's not a bad tactic, but certainly not one I'd rely on. I think this would go into the whole "be unpredictable" thing.

Cyberfrost849

Smash Rookie
funny how a certain character can make another aggro character be more control based huh??

Sometimes when trying to be unpredictable, i usually Nair with a short hop before i approach metaknight, and they go for either an Fair or Nair and get hit by the second slash of the Nair allowing me to do a Fair, a dancing blade, or a smash. It usually works for me 70% of the time because i usually see Meta's Air game with his Fair and Nair. Sometimes they dont even jump, but even then the Nair should still hit, it depends on how MK reacts.

Just my two cents, i also practice as Metaknight myself to learn what he's weak to and how he works, that could be a good suggestion for any other character as well. But who doesn't know that??

∫unk

Smash Master
I wouldn't say do this too much, because the Meta could continue to dash forward to try and get you. He does outrun Marth iirc.

It's not a bad tactic, but certainly not one I'd rely on. I think this would go into the whole "be unpredictable" thing.
I suggest walking around because most Marths tend to rush down. Against Metaknight if you try that you'll get destroyed. Walking around forces cautious approach.

funny how a certain character can make another aggro character be more control based huh??

Sometimes when trying to be unpredictable, i usually Nair with a short hop before i approach metaknight, and they go for either an Fair or Nair and get hit by the second slash of the Nair allowing me to do a Fair, a dancing blade, or a smash. It usually works for me 70% of the time because i usually see Meta's Air game with his Fair and Nair. Sometimes they dont even jump, but even then the Nair should still hit, it depends on how MK reacts.

Just my two cents, i also practice as Metaknight myself to learn what he's weak to and how he works, that could be a good suggestion for any other character as well. But who doesn't know that??
I agree with this. Particularly learning the Shuttle Loop range and the speed of the d-smash is crucial to beating Meta.

And different aerial combinations/timings so the meta drops his shield to try and punish you is a great time to hit them. f-air to dancing blade is a good example of this.

Danimals

Smash Apprentice
ehhhh

ill proble give a strategy on how to play meta knight

I have played alot annoying ones, this guide is not as good cause there is alot of meta knight play styles alot of them play different some rush some camp some just walk around tilting even some up b all the time and tornado.

Desire

Smash Journeyman
im glad u made a guide.

now. i was always thinking that they are not equal match-up. MK got minuscule amount of advantage. but i disagree. marth play defensive, always. but i alway just Sh fairfair DB... i know. thn i get *****/
i always DONT just DB enough. and i know battle F is better thn FD. but i like FD more.and ^ most MK are same./ jsut counter at right time .

∫unk

Smash Master
this is kinda outdated... but some stuff holds true

i played rippin (aero's teammate) the other day maybe when i'm not so hungry i'll give an update

Top Bottom