• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is sonic popular in tournaments?

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
I was the only Sonic user at my tournament while people whored Meta Knight or Snake or G&W.

Sonic's underused in tournaments right now. At least, that's what I've noticed.

Browny

Smash Hater
those clowns in the tier discussion thread, and thier 'SFR' (.....) dont listen to reason, i wouldnt even bother asking for proof, its not like they care. i read the tourney results board very often, youll be lucky if theres more than 1 sonic user in any tournament while you can lose count of the usual 3. they blame popularity because they cant find any other excuse, and then refuse to watch any videos of mr 3000 or lucky.

>_>

SonicLucario

Smash Journeyman
Not by me.I was the only one who used him at a recent tourney in Singles.There was only one other Sonic user there but couldn't stay for singles.I feel I'm the only one who will frequently use him in tourneys in the future in my area anyway.

NNID
MasterHavik
It good to be back.

Anyway after paly Sonic for qutie a bit, I have seen peoplerun to Ike, Marth, and Snake. If you know where I'm getting at then good for you. Sonic is basically getting kick and punch on by the so call" pros."

I'm done.

Boxob

Smash Champion
OMFG KASR.

I'm on my way to a tourney right now. I'm doing doubles and singles, I'll let everyone know how many Sonics are there and how I do.

DragnSlayr

Smash Apprentice
If I go to another tournament I'm going to use Sonic and see how far I can get. He would just seem like a fun and different character to use at a tournament. =P

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Sonic isn't all that popular to many pros since he lacks reliable KO moves. Apparently they rely more on Snake since he's the major KO maker.

All I can say is that Sonic may not be your best choice in a professional tourney since you're likely to see a lot of players who use fighters that can easily wipe Sonic clean off the floor.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
See my sig, that's how I feel about tiers. If you are devoted enough, skilled enough and patient enough, I believe you can beat anyone.

Sonic is fun to use and when used well can run circles around the opponenet (haha, man i'm funny). But seriously, never go into a match thinking you can't beat a higher tier character, go into the match knowing that you are the better player.

Umby

Smash Master
See my sig, that's how I feel about tiers. If you are devoted enough, skilled enough and patient enough, I believe you can beat anyone.

Sonic is fun to use and when used well can run circles around the opponenet (haha, man i'm funny). But seriously, never go into a match thinking you can't beat a higher tier character, go into the match knowing that you are the better player.
Tiers aren't about "You use z character so you can't beat characters a through y. Period." It's more about how when you generally matchup against a number of people, you're character, provided the players are at an identical skill level, is going to do only so well as opposed to if you used another member of the cast.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Well yea, I'm aware of that but way to many people do view it as low tier means an instant loss to a high tier.

It just seems like so many people that play low tier dont think they can compete with higher tiers. If people would play low tiers with more confidence and conviction, they could prove to be talented enough to take on top tiers easy.

Not the best example but we all remember Chu and his IC's, don't we? Not in the high tier, high-middle if i remember, he was able to place top 3 at the biggest tournaments in melee. Just a thought

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I haven't seen many Sonics but the ones I've seen get dispatched pretty easily. It's just the way it is. It's not low tier vs high tiers and not pros vs ams, its just the results at the end of the day, and right now, sonic just isn't winning as much comparatively.

Umby

Smash Master
Well yea, I'm aware of that but way to many people do view it as low tier means an instant loss to a high tier.

It just seems like so many people that play low tier dont think they can compete with higher tiers. If people would play low tiers with more confidence and conviction, they could prove to be talented enough to take on top tiers easy.

Not the best example but we all remember Chu and his IC's, don't we? Not in the high tier, high-middle if i remember, he was able to place top 3 at the biggest tournaments in melee. Just a thought
ICs are high mid. They aren't the highest, but they're still in a position where people know they ****. I mean they're right under Captain Falcon =/. A better example would probably be Mang0's Jiggs at Pound 3, but even then, that's one of the top 10 characters out of 26, and that's probably out of the technicality that she has about as many favorable matchups as the 3 or 4 characters above her, basing her placing on pure stats (probably the fact that she's light and floaty).

tbh, Melee was exactly like you describe as far as tournaments, you play low-tier, you don't do well competitively. Look at Link. While he's not exactly the lowest on Melee's tier, most people think that maining Link was pure failure, even compared to using someone lower like Donkey Kong, Young Link, or Pikachu. Also look at how well he does in major tournaments. Skler is consider one of the best (if not the best) Links in the U.S. right now, and he's made one of the highest placing of anyone who's gone all Link at a major tournament: 13th. Now consider the fact that there are only so many pro Links that actually go all Link at a tournament. Even they can only get so far when compared to your higher tier combatants. Consider also the fact that Azen considered maining Link at one point in time, but favored characters like Marth instead so that he could hold better placing at tournaments.

Also it's not completely a factor of not playing low tier because you can't win, it's more of thing where people want to become good at the game without having to fight such an uphill battle due to low tier short comings. Sure, everyone who loved Sonic as a character in general could learn Sonic inside out and become great at using him, but let's face it, trying to place 1st at a tournament by learning Meta Knight is much easier and encounters more favorable matchups than learning to use Sonic and placing high at tournaments.

NNID
MasterHavik
I'm not I to typing a lot, but I will say that any chaarcter can become an pwner. Which means someone with Gdof can go all the way, or someone using sonic, and etc. But if you get a character like Ike, Marth, pit, MK, and other good characters your job has just been made easiser than expected it to be. So, my point is there no good or bad chaarcter, but bad players. When it come to smash it all about the player, and his skills not the character. And beside, I won my local trouney last week with sonic.

Almost got own by a good marth, but the sweetspot back+air save me.

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight
Usually the locals I see or hear about usually, are filled with Spacies or Snake, the last was full of the Kirby cast and Toon Link. there was one Sonic hopeful but he switched with his Snake sub right after the first round against a Wolf almost fried him..

Trozz

Smash Ace
Sonic is not popular in Western Canada tournaments. Every now and then someone uses him, but performs horribly. I haven't seen a Sonic player better than myself yet... and I'd rather not use him in tourneys.

Ryudo_Sama

Smash Ace
Don't think so, when people are using with the "top" tier characters like Wolf, and Meta-Knight. The wannabe pros won't even think about picking Sonic with all his disadvantages.

NNID
MasterHavik
So, what are we going to do about sonic not being in trouneys then? I say everyone from the smash boards or sonic section at least should go to trouney, and prove them wrong about sonic. We can go on and on about how much he sucks, but let's try to do something about it. Let's not cry, but pick sonic up and go on an owning steak with him.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Alrighty, well, forget my analogies and whatever, I'm making bad points. Oh well.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that people don't use low tier because, no matter how fun the character is to play, they won't use them that often because they'd rather get the easy win. Don't get me wrong, I try to learn all the characters for the sake of being good with all of them but when it comes down to it I spend the time learning who I find the most fun to play. So if down the line I end up finding that Snake and MK (assuming they stay top tier) then so be it.

But I don't really mind there not being A LOT of Sonic users cause it makes the wins even more savory. So iunno, keep having fun with Sonic, and maybe down the line we'll figure out something to make Sonic even more awesome then he is now

Browny

Smash Hater
hopefully in due time people will see how much DK has on snake/MK, so they will pick dedede to counter (counter isnt strong enough, neither is ****) and then people will counter dedede with sonic (i have no trouble dealing with dedede, i dont know about others)

only then will sonic have a good chance at being more popular :p

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Sonic isn't all that popular to many pros since he lacks reliable KO moves. Apparently they rely more on Snake since he's the major KO maker.

All I can say is that Sonic may not be your best choice in a professional tourney since you're likely to see a lot of players who use fighters that can easily wipe Sonic clean off the floor.

EDIT: this is a QFT
from what i can gather, there was a lot of sonics in my area right before i got there, and than everyone figured out he suked, and hopped on the snake/MK bandwagon. now im the only one that thinks about playing sonic at tourneys. i got owned at my last one, so im gonna be getting better. but the fact is that hes not a great character, and the ppl that do play MK and snake dont do so because they want the easy win, they do it because they want the win and the money and their willing to do what it takes to get the win and the money. most of the time, it still wont be an easy win, but comparing everything you have to do to get a kill with sonic, to up tilting them at 115% with rediculous range as snake... for most ppl the choice is obvious if they want to win.

BrawlChamp14

Smash Apprentice
EDIT: this is a QFT
from what i can gather, there was a lot of sonics in my area right before i got there, and than everyone figured out he suked, and hopped on the snake/MK bandwagon. now im the only one that thinks about playing sonic at tourneys. i got owned at my last one, so im gonna be getting better. but the fact is that hes not a great character, and the ppl that do play MK and snake dont do so because they want the easy win, they do it because they want the win and the money and their willing to do what it takes to get the win and the money. most of the time, it still wont be an easy win, but comparing everything you have to do to get a kill with sonic, to up tilting them at 115% with rediculous range as snake... for most ppl the choice is obvious if they want to win.
i agree with you. most ppl dont use Sonic cuz they want the easy money/win. making them pick Snake, MK, or even Toon Link.

Top Bottom