• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Ontario Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retlaf

Smash Apprentice
Carleton, it's at the corner of the top floor of Herzberg Labs. I switched from software into gamedev last year which is when the stream just started.

The lab is pretty kickass. We frequently use it for important commercial game testing.

SAUS

Smash Ace
My old account was The Saucemonster. But i hadn't logged on for over 6 months so my account was disabled and i don't remember the password to the account i used. So this is my new one.

So cam, Randy told me to contact you about the trip so just leave any information I need and I will check it later tonight. Thanks.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
I work at NRC. Building M-50 if that means anything to you. You can google me if you want :p. Type nrc melendez. Although it doesnt say anything really.

I could help test out some games, im nice like that :p.

lol at that falcon vid.

infomon

Smash Scientist
If you do we should try the Jiggs / ICs combo again. It's an overabundance of cuteness that manages to devastate.

Plus I need to figure out the timing of their Up Bs. I can't believe how often you killed me with that :chuckle:
Helllz yes. Uhm........ :urg: srry about my up-B lol :) I really need to play more doubles.

Also, with team-attack on, can Ness and Lucas be healed by their partner? cuz that'd be pretty broken.

Fogel

Smash Lord
Orlando (and anyone else who wants a lift): Your share of the gas money will probably be around $10-$15. Save $15 for me just to be safe. Since Randy can't make it I've got myself, Orlando, and Derek in the car. I can squeeze in 2 more people max. If you want a spot, post soon.

As for people getting together to play, I won't be available to smash any weeknights this week, sorry guys.

My old account was The Saucemonster. But i hadn't logged on for over 6 months so my account was disabled and i don't remember the password to the account i used. So this is my new one.

So cam, Randy told me to contact you about the trip so just leave any information I need and I will check it later tonight. Thanks.
Be at my place for 8am Saturday morning, and we're staying at Joel's Saturday night. If you want you can stay over Friday night, but I won't be back until late (8pm or later) so you have to be able to get a lift to my house somehow. I will pm you my cell in case you need to get ahold of me. Also, there is no smashfest this week, in case you missed my post earlier.

Bump, this is important please.
I'm bringing my Wii and a TV or 2 (space permitting), and I probably won't have room to bring Wak at this point in time as I'm pretty sure someone will want the other spots.

Retlaf

Smash Apprentice
*raises hand*
Pick me and ben!

I wouldn't mind busing, but splitting on gas is quite a bit cheaper, leaving more money for... giving you gas money.

Not that it really matters, but I wouldn't mind holding a TV on my lap.

buenob

Smash Lord
ya honestly i would really rather be in the car with you guys, not only cheaper but i have no idea how to get around in montreal and I'd be let off at some random bus location, and if it's anywhere near as accessible as ottawa's bus terminal then It'll be January by the time I figure out where i'm supposed to go lol

i also can hold a tv on my lap, or andrew can cozy up with me in the same seat ;)

but that said if I have to bus I won't hold it against anyone

buenob

Smash Lord
the week after the greyhound incident i was in toronto (greyhounded there and back) and while i was there that propane thing happened and my bus home had to be re-routed due to "massive explosions"
--

also, confimred in taking the seat :) will do

WarranThad

Smash Ace
if you guys need any directions/info i know the area the tourney is in/west end of the island very well. pm me for my cell # if you'd like.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
I'm glad we're settled on this then.

Cam, you should have my number, but I'll drop you a PM with my apartment info. You won't really need it since I live so **** close, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Fogel

Smash Lord
I'm glad we're settled on this then.

Cam, you should have my number, but I'll drop you a PM with my apartment info. You won't really need it since I live so **** close, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
I've still got your cell, but yeah getting your apartment info for after is probably a good idea.

buenob

Smash Lord
hey, so tonight i'll be having an impromptu smashfest for any and all who wish to brawl

I think around 5:30 whoever wants to can show up and we'll split on pizza, things should get underway around 6:30... PM me for directions and please specify HOW you're getting here (bus or car), both are quite easy

I look forward to seeing everyone, and showing off my mario ;)

Retlaf

Smash Apprentice
If anyone plans on busing, I can meet you at Westboro transit station and we can walk to Ben's together. Let me know so I know to wait for anyone and I can tell you what I look like.

I was going to say something very important about us wining FFYF ben, but I forget what it was. :(

PND

Smash Champion
We should be arriving around 6:30. Awesome! Can't wait.

Wow, I'm not sure if this is old, but look at this actual course from Oberlin University in Ohio:

Super Smash Brothers Melee Theory and Practice 0-1 Credit
(I removed the names of the professors for privacy purposes) EXCO-845
This course will teach students the basic, intermediate and advanced combat techniques in the video game Super Smash Brothers Melee for the Nintendo Gamecube. This course will also provide in depth lectures and discussions involving many controversial issues concerning video games in our society today such as censorship, stereotyped characters, addiction, and gaming as an evolving art form. Gamecubes, televisions and controllers will be provided by the instructors. Gamers and non-gamers are welcome and encouraged to take this course. Classes will meet for two and a half hours each week-one and a half hours during regularly scheduled discussion and class time, and one hour outside regular class time as a practicum to practice and refine skills.

http://www.oberlin.edu/stuorg/exco/students/oldcourses/spring06.htm

Retlaf

Smash Apprentice
Why can't they offer that at CU ;_; it would be perfect for my degree...

@Ben: Download Scarlet Weather Rhapsody here: http://stuff.mizuumi.net/swr/
I think it's the file "SWR_GST-by-swedish.zip" (I got it from a random torrent I can't seem to find right now [only the demo shows up]). Let me know if that works, and if not, I'll bring mine on a CD. Or I could just bring mine on a CD.

For character and general info: http://swr.mizuumi.net/index.php/Youmu_Konpaku
The basic descriptions of the characters seem to accurately reflect their playstyles, so you might be able to use that to find another character that would interest you.

Offensively, the game just takes practice learning the characters' hitboxes and priorities and such. Oh, and obviously connecting combos. Speaking of combos, these are probably a few useful things to know:

Every attack, as well as a damage value, has a limit value (I think that's the term). Limit only accumulates while in hitstun. Once it maxes out, that player can no longer move or be hit until they fall to the floor. This effectively prevents infinites. It's good to get a feel for chasing people and maxing out the limit whenever possible. When you find you are hitting a flying corpse and nothing is happening, it's this.

Every attack can cancel into certain other kinds of attacks (by cancel I mean bypass the cooldown animation/lag). One attack might be able to cancel into a special, while another might only be able to cancel into jabs. I still don't know too much about this as I haven't read up on it, only experienced it. The only real way to get used to it is, again, to experiment. But I do know this for sure, and it's extremely useful:

Any projectile attack can cancel into a graze jump (or D jump, or dash jump or whatever they call it), in which the dash jump can cancel into another projectile attack. I find this is most useful for characters like Remilia (bat girl) as she can use her 214 special to summon a hoard of slow projectiles, cancel into the air, shoot another, and approach inside/behind it.

Combos generally happen against the walls (of course, since you don't have to worry about knocking the target out of your range). In this case, it's always good to find a strong, high cooldown attack, and end your limit with it (like Remilia's 623 special). The website I sent you lists a bunch of these. Actually, the best time to a Spell Card is during a combo follow up, when they're stuck in hitstun (otherwise they can generally always block it). Just be careful not to use one when they are at max limit.

Defensively, this game is all about knowing when to graze, and when to block. Melee beats grazing, grazing beats projectiles, and projectiles pressure blocking. You can never block directly after grazing, but you can graze directly after blocking. When you are toe to toe with your opponent, a defensive graze will result in you getting hit, because they can strike you with a melee attack before you get out of range (character dependent). Most things seem to be able to cancel into either blocking or grazing.

I typed more than I expected. Hope it helps!
I probably missed some important stuff...
And this probably isn't the best place.
OH WELL EVERYONE DEAL WITH IT!

buenob

Smash Lord
lol honestly it's no worries, it was just a thought about ordering food as I didn't think I'd get a chance to get out of the house, but I was speedy (and cut corners) whilst cleaning, so i will be able to go grocery shopping lol... and I didn't want to have ordered food and then have people arive and be disapointed they weren't in on the opportunity...

anyways, show up whenever you guys can, no worries about anything, and talk to retlaf about walking from westborro... i'm quite thankful that he'll guide as it's really simple to get here from there, but very, VERY hard to describe in writing (just ask coolza how weird my directions are lol)

Coolza

Smash Cadet
lol honestly it's no worries, it was just a thought about ordering food as I didn't think I'd get a chance to get out of the house, but I was speedy (and cut corners) whilst cleaning, so i will be able to go grocery shopping lol... and I didn't want to have ordered food and then have people arive and be disapointed they weren't in on the opportunity...

anyways, show up whenever you guys can, no worries about anything, and talk to retlaf about walking from westborro... i'm quite thankful that he'll guide as it's really simple to get here from there, but very, VERY hard to describe in writing (just ask coolza how weird my directions are lol)
Yes lol.
I hope to come to this one, and if I do I'll be busing.
Does the 97 take you to Westboro?

buenob

Smash Lord
ya the 97 goes straight here, westboro is between tunneys pasture and dominion station (for those bussing they know the stop before)

buenob

Smash Lord
i think you're coming from downtown... no it's not anywhere close to the last stop lol, and if you ask the driver i'm sure they'd announce it... once you leave downtown theres bayview (otrain stop), then tunneys pasture, then westborro

Retlaf

Smash Apprentice
I can get there at 6/6:30, orlando, just let me know what time's best for you.

What was your real name Coolza? (mine's Andrew) Let me know what time you expect to arrive as well. Look out for me: I'll have a bike, I have fairly long hair, handsome features, and I enjoy long walks on the beach. I'll be street side on the upper level.

Coolza

Smash Cadet
I can get there at 6/6:30, orlando, just let me know what time's best for you.

What was your real name Coolza? (mine's Andrew) Let me know what time you expect to arrive as well. Look out for me: I'll have a bike, I have fairly long hair, handsome features, and I enjoy long walks on the beach. I'll be street side on the upper level.
Mine's Adam. I have shortish black hair, n yeh.
And yes I am coming from Downtown (Ridea Centre) so I'll be sure to look out.

Retlaf

Smash Apprentice
Top, in the front (street side).

6:00 it is! Watch for us Adam, because you definitely know what we look like. :D

Coolza

Smash Cadet
Cool. :D
I'll leave my house at 5, and I'll need to take 2 buses to get there, but they're direct from each other so it doesn't matter.
Getting home is what I'm worried about xD

Coolza

Smash Cadet
My mom went on this big rant on how it's dangerous and how people get ***** like that >.>
And she said that she wants to me you first >.<'

buenob

Smash Lord
lol well it's hard to meet me if you're not allowed to come :) but it's totally understandable, you are a little young to be going over to random people's houses you met over the internet... if you can, make it out to one of the bi-weekly tournaments at fogels

though honestly, if it weren't for this board, i would _never_ meet up with anyone i met over the internet

Coolza

Smash Cadet
Yeah I know, it sounds sketchy when I told my mom, because "meeting someone you've never met over the internet" is a bit odd >.> But SWF is safe, and you've all done this before, so that's how I know.
My mom wants you to come over to my house first >___<;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom