• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ummm How do you recover?

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
in b4 up-b

seriously all sorts of bad stuff happen to me from just being off the ledge and i said it'll just come with the learning of sheik but its not coming quick enough. im getting shine-spiked, d-aired by marth, etc etc. isn't sheiks up b like invincible? any and all tips appreciated. also how much wiggle room for error is there in the up-b ledge stall

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Look for the Seanson hitbox system if possible, I don't remember where but you can download it and it has frame data + image for Sheik's moves including invincibility frames if you want to know precisely when it starts and ends.

Maybe someone can point you in the direction of it.

But yeah if you're getting hit through your upB it's probably because you're not starting it early enough. There's a brief period at the start of her upB with no invincibility; you can be hit through this duration. Also, I think if you go to the edge late and there's a white explosion there's also a gap in invincility that you can be hit through.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
If you get knocked away really far, make sure you double jump with a rising slap to give yourself more horizontal recovery. It's a tiny bit, but people tend to edgehog Sheik a lot, so it really does matter.

If you're not at a high percentage though, you obviously won't go as far, so you have more options. If you see your opponent running at you for the airguard, time your double jump and slap so that you'll smack them away, then use the Vanish to sweetspot the ledge.

In any case, you always want to position yourself so that you're not too close to the ledge. You shouldn't be readily within range, anyway. Vanish goes quite a ways, so abuse that. It helps if you sweetspot from above the stage, as it's a little easier and leaves less vulnerability time.

Hope that helps.

Magus420

Smash Master
Nah. It definitely doesn't do anything. Same with Doc's f-air (and doing the tornado 1st vs before the up-B), Zelda's f-air, Fox/Falco's shines, etc. People just like to think that they do.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Seriously? All that doesn't do anything? My life is a lie...

I don't understand your gif though... why do the percentages randomly jump around between 21 and 23?

Magus420

Smash Master
The images at 21% are the recovery without using the f-air, and the ones at 23% are with the rising f-air on each jump. As you can see, at equal points in time Sheik is in the exact same locations for both.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Same with Doc's f-air (and doing the tornado 1st vs before the up-B)
Wait, do you mean to say that doing the down-B doesn't actually give you any extra distance?

Also, you have the best sigs.

Magus420

Smash Master
Nah I mean whether you get more distance out of it if used immediately vs used later on before the up-B.

Down-B -> Jump -------> Up-B

is the exact same distance as...

Jump -------> Down-B -> Up-B

and while not tested directly is in theory also the same as...

-------> Down-B/Jump -> Jump/Down-B -> Up-B

As far as strictly survival goes, jumping immediately (with just about everyone else too) will keep you alive slightly longer than the others when you are knocked to the edge of the blastline, because you are still moving towards it then and normal second jumps instantly add forward momentum which can prevent you from drifting into it better than other things.

enza99

Smash Rookie
well i kinda have the same question as u but i seem to make it on... but uhh
horizontal ya do the fair and possibly slap them if theyre stupid lol fair doesnt look like much... but its also sorta a defence like it noted in the youtube vid
but idk if this is just inexperienced ppl but when they seem to edgehog if ur close enough u can explode them off
and remember the up b gives u a jump then a vanish =D looks more ninja lol

-Marc-

Smash Cadet
I always recover from above the stage. The reason is because when you're sweetspotting the ledge with her upb, you can't upb sweetspot from below the stage. When you're above the stage though, you won't get fsmashed by Marth or anything. Also, save your double jump!

St. Viers

Smash Champion
he's probably not used to having to actually be a certain distance aaway to sweetspot (a brawl player, in other words =P)

-Marc-

Smash Cadet
>_> Cort told me to always try and recover while you're above the stage. I've been fsmashed by Marth when I try and recover below the stage and I know how to sweetspot. Maybe you can sweetspot below the stage, I just never do. Another reason why recovering above the stage is so good is because it gives you more options than ONLY trying to sweetspot or go above the ledge. It's the safest thing to do.

Brawl is a terrible game btw and I refuse to play that game competitively. Melee for life.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
It's easier to sweetspot above the stage, yes. But it's also possible to sweetspot below the stage.

-Marc-

Smash Cadet
Hooray for no work for when you're above the stage, mirite? Us Sheiks have it hard enough, ROFL!

COOPER

Smash Apprentice
another thing that helps me in certain situations is when knocked off the stage with my back to it, come back with a lot b-airs so that there is like a constant wall of long a** leg. it'll keep airguards at bay

Top Bottom