• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Match-up discussion 2: Captain Falcon

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend

A basic overview of the advantages:
Captain Falcon

Faster
Less Laggy
Less start-up on most moves
Jab has good priority

Ganondorf:

Hits like a Bus full of fat people
Some powerful early combos
Better all-around priority
Better range

A few questions that should be explored in this match-up (others may be added in the course of the discussion):

Is falcon's speed enough to make up for his overall issues.

And go!

Note: Once we have discussed this match-up enough to figure out these things, this post will go to the G&W format, as suggested by Shredding, but we don't have enough info to do it now.

Edit: Summery to follow when I get a chance.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Clone Wars!!!!!111oneoneone

This is CFs advantage, slightly. He is actually pretty heavy and thus hard to finish for somebody, who lacks reliable finishers...Ganon can't really gimp CFs recovery so in fact falcon may even has an easier time to finish you off...

The best way to win is to use murder choke tech chase a lot as well as uairs or other less laggy moves such as dtilt. I don't think you can spike throug his UpB so finishing might be the main issue.

Basically, the best way to win is to play defensively and punish with "quick" moves out of your shield or Shield Grabs. Falcon has lots of endup lags on most of his moves. If yo can make use of it you'll win, but Falcon can pretty much use the same tricks to win...

45:55 imo

:034:

Smash Hero
It's an even match-up. The only reason I don't give Ganon the advantage is the knee, which is still a good kill move, especially because we're large targets.

Anyway, tipmans eat Falcon's recovery alive, use them.

Question said:
Is falcon's speed enough to make up for his overall issues.
Answer: No. Otherwise he wouldn't be last on the tier list. >_>

Honestly, his best approach is Falcon Kick.

Which is a horrible approach.

I don't actually know a lot about the match-up. All I know is jab-jab-grab, Falcon Kick approach, uairs are great, knee is still good just harder to hit and that Raptor Boost is now a reliable recovery. But... If you think this is a good match-up for Falcon, think again. We have exactly what Falcon lacks: reliable kill moves. Plenty of them. The only Falcon moves that kill are knee and Falcon Punch, which are both extremely hard to hit.

You don't have to approach if you don't want to. You can, but a good Falcon probably wants you to approach too. So he can grab and do nair -> nair -> nair -> knee.... Wait, that's Melee, nevermind.

Gleam

Smash Ace
This match up is seriously an advantage to Ganondorf, probababl a 6:4.

Captain Falcon is the closest character to a clone that we have. Other than Fair, all of our aerials are the same, and our ground moves are very similar. Yet we own Falcon in every single category except Running speed, and running speed means jack overall.

Ganondorf has better reach, KO pwer, priorty, he can even approach better. Falcon's attacks while perhaps overall less laggy, still has a few bits of lag to them. Every hit Ganon makes count but that doesn't stand true for Falcon. Even our recovery> Falcon's recovery.

Ganon's ground game>Falcon's ground game for the same reasons mentioned above. Even our Aerial game>Falcon's Aerial game. Falcon litterally has nothing we can't handle.

Seriously, we own Falcon in about every aspect, so I don't see why this shouldn't be an advantage to us. Falcon's Fair isn't enough to warrant this a neutral or advantage to Falcon.

Shadow Nataku

Smash Ace
I don't think theres much of a discussion here its just Ganny all the way.

Falcon doesn't have a single thing going for him, he's laggy, slow, lacks power, lacks range, lacks priority and lacks any good approaches or whatever. Falcon can't recover for crap against Ganny's crazy aerial priority and power while trying to edgeguard against Ganny is near suicide. Not to mention a good Ganny wouldn't even budge from the middle of the stage to begin with.

Falcon's weight doesn't mean jack all when even Ganny's weakest moves hit like a steamroller which leaves everything dead. Theres a pretty good reason why so many Falcon players love the knee, Falcon doesn't have any other good KO moves. They're all slow, predictable and short ranged. The only advantage Falcon has is speed which doesn't mean much since all his attacks come out slow and have tons of ending lag.

Sorry but Falcon would be lucky if this is even a 6:4 matchup, its more like a debate to whether Ganny wins by a 7:3 or 8:2.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm not sure. This matchup is definitely close, but as to who has the advantage? I might as well say this one is even. I actually use both characters btw.

Falcon can N-air reliably in this matchup, which is a pretty big plus for his approach game in this matchup. Ganondorf is also easy to Knee due to being a big target, which is bad news for Ganondorf if he whiffs a kill move. Falcon is also significantly better at gimping Ganondorf's recovery than the other way around, due to being able to jump farther from the stage with a reverse U-air and such. Falcon's U-tilt, if well timed can put a halt to Ganondorf's aerial game reliably, not to mention kill at high percents.

Ganondorf however is simply way better at comboing. Choke -> D-tilt is very good. D-air setups are too good, like seriously, Ganondorf's D-air and U-smash do 1% more than Falcon's U-smash, and unlike Falcon's U-smash they are really fast.

Ganondorf also has a better out of shield game. Both characters are very vulnerable to shielding, but Ganondorf has better attacks for punishing people from the shield. He has attacks that are generally faster, less laggy, and stronger than Falcon's respective attacks.

Basically, this matchup comes down to Falcon's mobility, approach, and edgeguarding vs Ganondorf's raw attack power. If Ganondorf can corner Falcon into a blow for blow matchup, he will come out ahead. Falcon however has tools to control the flow of the matchup too.

Gleam

Smash Ace
8:2 is too much, as is perhaps 7:3. Falcon has little going for him in this match up, but he has a few things that can at least reduce the damage Ganon gives him.

A2ZOMG: I can confidently say that Ganon's approach is better than Falcon's and Ganon's edgeguarding is better than Falcon's. Sure Falcon has a few good moves, but when you put it altogther it pales in comparison to the vastly superior moveset and techs that Ganon possesses.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
A2ZOMG: I can confidently say that Ganon's approach is better than Falcon's and Ganon's edgeguarding is better than Falcon's. Sure Falcon has a few good moves, but when you put it altogther it pales in comparison to the vastly superior moveset and techs that Ganon possesses.
I agree that Ganondorf is better at approaching than Falcon. However that's not quite how it works in this matchup. The biggest reason why Falcon is bad at approaching is that it's near-impossible for him to hit with a SH aerial on the way up in many matchups. Ganondorf is one of those few characters that Falcon can easily throw out N-airs towards and connect with because he's huge. N-air comes out fast and has virtually zero landing lag (making the first hit a legit combo starter too), and Falcon has enough aerial mobility to be fairly hard to punish after throwing out SH N-airs. If Falcon is allowed to N-air in any given matchup, he's given a LOT more control over the flow of the matchup. This makes matchups like vs Bowser and DK and even to some extent Snake bearable for Falcon, while matchups vs smaller characters like G&W, MK, Olimar, etc are very difficult on the other hand.

Also, while Ganondorf does have better edgeguarding, his recovery is significantly worse than Falcon's. This is why Falcon has an easier time gimping Ganondorf than the other way around. He can jump out a fairly good distance from the stage where it is hard for Ganondorf to react and punish him, and from there it's extremely difficult for Ganondorf to get back even if he has saved his midair jump because Falcon is in a good position to edgehog Ganon.

Gleam

Smash Ace
I agree that Ganondorf is better at approaching than Falcon. However that's not quite how it works in this matchup. The biggest reason why Falcon is bad at approaching is that it's near-impossible for him to hit with a SH aerial on the way up in many matchups. Ganondorf is one of those few characters that Falcon can easily throw out N-airs towards and connect with because he's huge. N-air comes out fast and has virtually zero landing lag (making the first hit a legit combo starter too), and Falcon has enough aerial mobility to be fairly hard to punish after throwing out SH N-airs. If Falcon is allowed to N-air in any given matchup, he's given a LOT more control over the flow of the matchup. This makes matchups like vs Bowser and DK and even to some extent Snake bearable for Falcon, while matchups vs smaller characters like G&W, MK, Olimar, etc are very difficult on the other hand.

Also, while Ganondorf does have better edgeguarding, his recovery is significantly worse than Falcon's. This is why Falcon has an easier time gimping Ganondorf than the other way around. He can jump out a fairly good distance from the stage where it is hard for Ganondorf to react and punish him, and from there it's extremely difficult for Ganondorf to get back even if he has saved his midair jump because Falcon is in a good position to edgehog Ganon.
Eh, you're probably more knowledgeable on this match up than I am to be honest. I just find it hard how Ganon couldn't have an advantage against a character's whose moveset and techs are clearly inferior to Ganon's.

Though, are you sure Falcon as significantly superior recovery? I was at least 90% sure that Ganon's was slightly better.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Though, are you sure Falcon as significantly superior recovery? I was at least 90% sure that Ganon's was slightly better.
Wait, you think that Ganondorf has BETTER recovery than Falcon?

Falcon gets a lot more distance, both DIing and especially on his Up-B. He can ledgehop and wall jump. Sure, it's still below average, but Ganondorf's recovery is trash, easily the 2nd worst non-tether recovery in the game right above Link's.

Gleam

Smash Ace
Wait, you think that Ganondorf has BETTER recovery than Falcon?

Falcon gets a lot more distance, both DIing and especially on his Up-B. He can ledgehop and wall jump. Sure, it's still below average, but Ganondorf's recovery is trash, easily the 2nd worst non-tether recovery in the game right above Link's.
You were right about Falcon having a better recovery. I was wrong there.

However, and we can discuss this when the specific character match ups come.

Ganon's recovery> Bowser's, DK's and Ike's as well as the others that you mentioned in distance and or gimpability.

__V

Smash Journeyman
Falcon has a massive advantage against Ganon. Ever hear of feinting? It says,"Hi."

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Falcon has a massive advantage against Ganon. Ever hear of feinting? It says,"Hi."
And what's that supposed to mean? If you lived in SoCal and I had time I'd money match you just to prove that it isn't nearly as simple as that.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Falcon lacks the variety in his options (aka, his moves are countered different ways) to have an inherent advantage in mindgames.

No, it doesn't give him an advantage at all. Sure, you can use mindgames, but unless the char has a mindgames advantage, it's just being a better player.

Shadow Nataku

Smash Ace
At the same time I should point out that Ganon actually has an extra hitbox on the end of his Up+B which stops people from edgehogging him. It stays out for quite some time and can still grab the ledge after smacking someone flying.

Ganon has heavier priority in the air than Falcon does so even though Ganny's weak in his recovery. In this particular matchup Falcon doesn't have as much over him as you'd think. Falcon can jump out after Ganon to finish him off but he has to also risk being outprioritized by nearly every aerial move he has. Ganon has plenty of non-laggy aerial moves he can come in with even when recovering.

Falcon's N-Air isn't as great an approach against Ganon either as most would make it out to be. Sure Ganny is a big target but lets no forget Ganon has the exact same option but a better ground game and extra options in the air. His ^air alone is enough to punish most Falcon's who try to take to the air with its zero lag, massive hitbox and power.

The way I see this is Ganon is a heavy defensive character with a great punishing game, Falcon is a offensive character who has limited options for offense.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
You do realize though, that Falcon has better options to finish Ganon off? No this is not a joke, considering how ridicoulusly easy it is to edgeguard Old Manondorf.

Falcon and Ganondorf are very similar, not just b/c they have the same moves but also similar properties. CF has long ending lags but so does Ganondorf but Ganondorf has much more startup lags than Falcon. Unless you spam the least laggy moves, you're options are limited to complete defense. Falcon at least has options: He can play offensively, if he uses lag "less" moves (yes falcon does have them) or defensively, to make use of Ganons lags. All Ganon can do is Shield all day long until Falcon makes a mistake but even then Ganon can still screw, since most of his atacks leave him open for ages...

I still say 45:55 for CF

x_Deity_x

Smash Cadet
Deity has 'okay' experience against Falcon, and says this is maybe 55:45 in favor of Ganondorf.

Falcon's Nairs work well in this match-up, and hitting the Knee is a little easier against Ganon, which is bad. Deity also finds that Falcon's Dsmash works well as a kill move at higher percentages, and can set Ganon up for being edgeguarded at lower percentages. However, everywhere else the Captain lacks priority. The Wizkick beats the Falcon Kick, as does the Sparta boot - rather, they cancel eachother out, so following with a Wizkick can capitalize on the stall. A lot of Falcon's approaches can be stopped by Ftilts, Dtilts or shieldgrabs. Watch out for a dashing Usmash, which can be easy to punish if you're able to shield it.

Deity focuses on using Murder Chokes and Stomps, as they outprioritize the Raptor Boost even in mid-air. Following the Choke up with either a chase, dash attack, DJ Stomp, Wizkick or aerial Wizkick can really hurt Falcon, because it isn't very hard for Ganon to KO him. Sparta kicks are great here near the edge, because Falcon can have a hard time recovering from them~

Dutchman already mentioned - Uairs are raep to Falcon's recovery. So as long as you watch out for the Raptor Boost while edgeguarding, you should be fine.

Falcon isn't terrible in this match-up, but Deity finds that Ganon has the advantage.

x_Deity_x

Smash Cadet
That's just Deity's thing.

He has a friend or two here on Smashboards that know him elsewhere, so they'd be used to it. xD

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
::FACE PALM:: You got to be kidding me, a matchup thread over falcon, now thats funny.
Just because a character sucks doesn't mean that he/she/it/potato shouldn't be discussed. Overall, Falcon has the least dangerous attributes BUT in the hands of an extremely skilled player, can still be quite deadly, which is why counter-tactics are appreciated. It's not like they'll hurt versus a weak player either.

Furthermore, what we're trying to figure out now is who has the advantage in the match-up. Let's face it, both Ganondorf and Falcon are bottom tier characters, it's not unfeasible for Falcon to have the advantage here. And of course, in an in-depth discussion, we can discover attributes which actually result in unexpected results (ex. Yoshi being neutral against MK).

So... EVERYBODY should discuss Captain Falcon in their match-up discussions. Period.

Devil7

Smash Journeyman
On the edge of Final Destination waiting to kill y
Just because a character sucks doesn't mean that he/she/it/potato shouldn't be discussed. Overall, Falcon has the least dangerous attributes BUT in the hands of an extremely skilled player, can still be quite deadly, which is why counter-tactics are appreciated. It's not like they'll hurt versus a weak player either.

Furthermore, what we're trying to figure out now is who has the advantage in the match-up. Let's face it, both Ganondorf and Falcon are bottom tier characters, it's not unfeasible for Falcon to have the advantage here. And of course, in an in-depth discussion, we can discover attributes which actually result in unexpected results (ex. Yoshi being neutral against MK).

So... EVERYBODY should discuss Captain Falcon in their match-up discussions. Period.
DUDE it was a joke, If you read my second post I just adressed everything you just said.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
DUDE it was a joke, If you read my second post I just adressed everything you just said.
... Your second post just looked like a reinforcement of your initial position, because it basically held that Falcon isn't worth discussing. It gave no character-specific data and was just based around empty generalities.

Ok, so if you think Falcon fails in this match-up, explain why based on character attributes, don't just make bland and useless generalities.

Devil7

Smash Journeyman
... Your second post just looked like a reinforcement of your initial position, because it basically held that Falcon isn't worth discussing. It gave no character-specific data and was just based around empty generalities.

Ok, so if you think Falcon fails in this match-up, explain why based on character attributes, don't just make bland and useless generalities.
Shadow Nataku pretty much said it all, but I don't want to rely on someone else to answer.

I would say this matchup is in ganons favor for his defensive punishments, and superior ground game and tipman. While falcon's dair to knee hurts and is easier to hit ganny with, falcon himself is also a bigger than average target and thus is easier for ganny to hit him with many of his moves that wouldn't be as useful against smaller opponents like MK, kirby, IC, etc. While falcons knee is good, ganny has several moves that hurt almost as much but are easier to hit with.

However that doesn't mean falcon cannot gain the advantage by changing stratagies mid-game or realizing this in advance and adapting.

With falcon's current stratagy (flying, blazing fists and knees of furry) which is what just about every falcon player knows, ganon has the advantage. However if the falcon player is really good at adapting or realizing ahead of time that he needs to change to fight ganny, he can fight more defensivly like the ganny player and put ganon on the offensive which is not good for him. If falcon is on the defensive and ganon on the offensive then falcon has the advantage. But this usually doesn't happen, when it does happen then it becomes an uphill battle for the king of evil. This is what my second postwas about, which I'm sorry came out wrong, but I see what you mean. I really only see advanced falcon players do this and thats what I was talking about.

If the ganny player is aware of the falcons defensive ploy and continues to play defensively then the match becomes slow but the advantage still remains on ganon's side because he is better at punishing. This can also work against the ganon player if falcon is ahead and time runs out. So basically the ganon player needs to always be aware of how the falcon is fighting.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Ok, I generally don't do analysis, on these thread, but here goes. 65-35 Ganondorf.

There are no projectiles in this match-up, so nobody is forced to approach, therefore both approaches must be dealt with.

Falcon first, he really doesn't have a safe poking move, raptor boost can be sheild-grabbed, falcon kick has massive lag, dash attack and dash canceled up-smash have too much cooldown, ftilt and dtilt are way too short ranged so Ganondorf can just return the favor on block, knee is too short ranged even auto-canceling doesn't stop the shieldgrab, dair is too predictable and just asks for u-smash or uair, and bair is too short ranged. They also lack priority, so if predicted, Ganon can easily beat them.

Of course, since they're all punishable, I'm sure the Ganon mains know the litany of punishment options Ganon has. Auto-canceled dair combo at low percents, dtilt, ftilt, overb, shieldgrab, up-smash. If they're forced into the air, he can also follow up extremely well, because he aerials are quite effective in general.

Then we have Ganon's approach game. Against Falcon, I'm almost positive Ganon's dtilt has enough range and causes enough shieldstun that it's safe on block in this match-up. Over-b is obviously safe on block as well, but it's really not spamable because of the speed and the fact that it's not safe on spotdodge, but throwing it in occassionally is good because it automatically combo which can kill over certain percents.

So, against Captain Falcon, Ganondorf can poke with dtilt just like Marth would poke with Fair, dtilt, or ftilt against most characters. In max dtilt range of course, but still, this is an ideal tool for camping. Ultimately, it forces Falcon to commit to an approach within that range.

Unfortunately, Falcon has better speed, which gives him a spacing advantage, however, it also makes his spacing more imprecise. This can be capitalize when attempting to space for a dtilt camp.

Momentium game, Ganon is definately better then Falcon at taking advantage of it, between his combos, a much more powerful uair, and general better aerials and groundwork, and superior all-around priority, Ganon's is more effective, if it hits. Because of his inferior airspeed and groundspeed, it's a great deal more difficult to keep in range to continuously follow up for Ganondorf, making it signifigantly easier to return momentium to neutral for Captain Falcon. Inversly it's reletively easier to maintain momentium for Falcon for the same reason. Overall, a slight advantage to Falcon on this department.

Overall, Falcon just doesn't have anything safe to approach with against Ganondorf, and since everything except running grab is dealt with in the same way, shield (and if they get close, appropriately timed dtilt is good), so even his mindgames options are very limted. Ganondorf on the other hand, has an actual safe poking move, so he wins in both the offensive and defensive departments. His only real weakness here is maintaining momentium. 65-35, Ganon's advantage.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
k so here I am, writing some stuff. Seriously guys. 65:35 for Ganondorf? Ganon is ... almost a hard counter vs Falcon? No way.

Falcon owns Ganon in the air. Falcons nair + uair > Ganons aerial game. His nair Wop can keep Ganondorf from approaching...plus he has less startup lag and ending lack on his aerials, which means he can exploit Ganons lags very easily. Landing KOs isn't an issue for anyone vs Ganon and I swear, that Falcon lives over 9000 times longer, thanks to his better recovery (but similar weight).

tl;dr bump

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Falcon doesn't OWN Ganon in the air.

However, I do give that he's allowed to throw out N-airs pretty safely in this matchup since Ganon is a big target.

Their startup time on aerials is actually about the same, although Ganon's D-air is definitely faster, while his F-air is slightly slower but has way more range. Falcon only has less landing lag on aerials though if Ganondorf doesn't autocancel an aerial, which he's doing over 70% of the time UNLESS he is certain that he is best able to punish you with a non-autocanceled aerial.

Falcon doesn't live 9000 times longer than Ganon either. They both have TERRIBLE recovery. Falcon probably gets to gimp Ganon with aerials slightly more since he can jump a little farther from the stage, but Ganon however is actually scoring KOs on Falcon, so I'd say that it pretty much evens out.

Not just that, Ganondorf has several reliable combos on Falcon (not to mention most of the cast) while Falcon has very few reliable combos on anyone.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
gheb, Falcon has no reliable way to get Ganon to approach, meaning Falcon has to approach Ganon...which is not good for him, especially when defense is where Ganon shines. Falcon owns Ganon in the air...since when? U-air has more range and cuts through n-air, f-tilt stops most of Falcon's approaches cold, as does wizkick and dash attack.

Falcon's recovery isn't necessarily better than Ganon's...if anything it's worse. At least Ganon punches at the end of his, and I'm pretty sure it moves higher vertically. If the Ganon is smart he shouldn't be experiencing that much lag. Plus Falcon's KO moves are actually harder to get off than most of Ganon's moves...which are all kill moves.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
commentsin red

gheb, Falcon has no reliable way to get Ganon to approach, meaning Falcon has to approach Ganon...

fail logic. Ganon has no reliable way to get Falcon to approach, meaning Ganon has to approach Falcon. C what I did thar, cir?!?

which is not good for him, especially when defense is where Ganon shines.

First of all: Ganon doesn't "shine" anywhere. Besides Why should Ganons defense be better than Falcons?[COLOR]

Falcon owns Ganon in the air...since when? U-air has more range and cuts through n-air, f-tilt stops most of Falcon's approaches cold, as does wizkick and dash attack.

Falcons uair beats most Ganons aerials as it is faster and has equal range. Nair stops Ganon from approaching

Falcon's recovery isn't necessarily better than Ganon's...if anything it's worse. At least Ganon punches at the end of his, and I'm pretty sure it moves higher vertically.

Ganons Recovery doesn't move further than Falcons...on the contrary. It'S also easier to gimp - especially on stages like FD...

If the Ganon is smart he shouldn't be experiencing that much lag.

Same can be said about falcon, strawman

Plus Falcon's KO moves are actually harder to get off than most of Ganon's moves...which are all kill moves.

Not really. KOing Ganondorf is easier than KOing Falcon

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Gheb, you've already said your bit, and based on your comments above, you have nothing more to say. There's no need to repeat your rationale as to why you think falcon is better than ganon. It doesn't get anywhere if you have nothing to add to it. You're biased one way and we're biased another (bias is probably the wrong word here), and that's generally how these match-up discussions work. All the information is pooled and a relatively coherent decision is reached. On that note, your comments are helpful, but the repetition of more of the same makes it sound like whining.

Blad01

Smash Lord
I think that this is a 50-50 match-up. Ganon mainers still think that Falcon is just "the worst character in the game, no priority...", and Falcon mainers still think "Ganon is so slow and a big target... I can just do what i want".

Stop.

Falcon can combo Ganondorf if he has a good pressure game, and can actually gimp him early. However, if he can't gimp him early or place a Falcon Knee, it will be pretty hard to kill Ganon.

In the other hand, Ganon can greatly take advantage of his huge priority on Dair, Uair. (and Nair in some cases). He can give a lot of percents quickly to Capt Falcon and kill him without having to gimp Falcon. But it could be a little bit hard to do through Falcon's rapidity.

I would say either 55-45 Ganon, or 50-50.

Devil7

Smash Journeyman
I think most of the bias on both side comes from the fact that probably not many good ganny mains have fought that many good falcon mains. I could say falcon sucks against ganny, but then again all of the falcons I have fought weren't great either so... I think thats were it comes from.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Ghetto Quote:

fail logic. Ganon has no reliable way to get Falcon to approach, meaning Ganon has to approach Falcon. C what I did thar, cir?!?

First of all: Ganon doesn't "shine" anywhere. Besides Why should Ganons defense be better than Falcons?

Falcons uair beats most Ganons aerials as it is faster and has equal range. Nair stops Ganon from approaching

Ganons Recovery doesn't move further than Falcons...on the contrary. It'S also easier to gimp - especially on stages like FD...

Okay, I really don't want to turn this into an argument of "nu uh, you're wrong" so 'll provide these magic things called examples and specifics.

I did see what you did :p, and you're correct. Ganon doesn't have a reliable way to force Falcon to approach, but my point is that Falcon doesn't have as solid of defensive game, and Falcon is built for approaching. He has a n-air wall but that's about it, and n-air can be cut through with Ganon's u-air. Ganon is about getting inside and spacing, while punishing retaliation and landing.

Ganon shines in damage dealing and defense. Falcon is a character that is based off of a Melee style of play, but is put in Brawl. Ganon meanwhile, has a moveset that is based around defense. He has DA, f-tilt, wizkick, and u-air that have crazy anti-air apllications. Stomp obliterates most ground approaches, as well as dealing 22 damage fresh, and leading to other hits.

Falcon's u-air has the same start up time as Ganon's, I can do the frame testing if you like. Falcon's just happens to have less lag. How in the hell does falcon's u-air have equal range? The main reason that Ganon's tipman is much more useful than Falcon's is because it has more range.

I really don't have evidence of either right now, but I can get it. Ganon has an extra defense measure on his to help him recover though, but they are both ****ty recoveries. Falcon has decent edgeguarding, but most of it has to be close ranged...weak knees, u-airs, n-airs, all close ranged edgeguards which get humped as soon as you get into range of Ganon. Ganon, however, can keep a safe distance from Falcon's recovery and destroy it with reverse u-airs.

Of course the same thing can be said about Falcon, but that's not what you were trying to say was it? But it's hard to get Falcon's already hard to land KO moves when Ganon is autocanceling all over the place.

Now saying that Ganon is easier to KO with Falcon than vice-versa is ridiculous. Let's examine Falcon's KO options...D-smash, f-smash, knee, and what, u-smash? His other KO moves like u-air, n-air, and sour spot d-air only become viable at higher percents off stage. All these moves are incrediby hard to get off on a smart player, and even though knee is easier on Ganon due to his height, it's still a ***** to pull off. All of his smashes are incredibly slow on start up, and don' t even kill as well as Ganon's.

Ganon's options are...all of his moves. Let's forget for a second that Ganon has a guaranteed kill off of Gerudo at around 100%. F-Tilt destroys a lot of Falcon's approaches with its priority, stopping n-airs and dash attacks etc cold. It also nets ganon kills at really good percents. Stomp gets kills, u-air at earlier percents than Falcons, b-air at earlier percents that Ganon's, f-air (hard to land I know, but defintely easier than knee with its greater range and a sweet spot that's actually convenient.) DA gets crazy kills as well as stopping anything Falcon has.

...lotsa text

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Actually, that's not correct, I adressed that previously. He forces approach in the same way that Marth does, by having a move he can safely spam at a certain spacing. Falcon is either forced to retreat (in which case, Ganon just advances, rinse repeat, If he keeps retreating, at a certain point he has to go either over or under ganondorf, both of which are bad positions, because Ganondorf has two extremely powerful aerials, Dair and Uair. Falcon has no answer to either) or approach.

Of course Ganon has to get the spacing, but at greater distances neither has the advantage, and there's no vulnerability inherent in getting that spacing. To make the spacing closer, Falcon has to commit to an approach, and since he has no tools to make Ganondorf back off the only option he has is to back off himself, creating a progressively worse position.

First of all: Ganon doesn't "shine" anywhere. Besides Why should Ganons defense be better than Falcons?
Actually he does, he's got perhaps the most damaging true combo in the game (auto-canceled dair to upsmash), as well as many other high damage, high knockback options.

His problem is really that he doesn't have the tools to really take advantage of that.

As for his defense being better, higher priority, higher damage, better coverage, and the simple fact that Falcon's defense is pretty much useless in this match-up because of dtilt's safety against him.

Most, doesn't beat out dair (which is important). Also it doesn't beat his ground game. Really the only time you'll see ganondorf in the air in a position where uair is useful is on the follow-up game. Hence Falcon's advantage in that department. Grounded, Ganon's defense game kills it and it's unsafe.

Nair doesn't outrange dtilt, that's all the approach ganondorf needs.

It's slower in moving, but the attack at the end gives it a little boost, which makes them about equally bad.

Furthermore, with Ganon's much better dair, being gimped is gonna be a lot more of an issue for Falcon.

His point was that good ganon's will take advantage of Ganon's moves without lag instead of depending on the laggy ones, uair, bair, and Dair are all lagless from short-hop. First and last the major moves used by Ganondorf players. Regardless, we know that Falcon's follow-up game does win over Ganon's, but this match-up has no reason for a protracted aerial battle, and the fact that Ganondorf's ground game wins over both Falcon's ground and aerial means there's no reason for Ganondorf to leave the comfort of the ground except for follow-ups and gimping.

Gimping Ganondorf is in general somewhat easier because of his larger frame and slower aerial drift. But with his higher weight, flat-out killing Ganondorf is a lot hard. Not to mention that Falcon can't safely throw out kill moves in this match. Actually, he can't safely throw out anything.

Ganondorf on the other hand, can poke with a kill move...

And for him every move is a kill move (minus jab), except flame choke which true combos into a kill move.

No Falcon's far more KO-able in this match-up.

I did see what you did :p, and you're correct. Ganon doesn't have a reliable way to force Falcon to approach, but my point is that Falcon doesn't have as solid of defensive game, and Falcon is built for approaching. He has a n-air wall but that's about it, and n-air can be cut through with Ganon's u-air. Ganon is about getting inside and spacing, while punishing retaliation and landing.
Yeah he does... dtilt is safe in this match-up remember?

Think like a Marth (yeah, how ironic for Ganondorf...)

The whole idea is to force him to approach beyond that spacing and punish one of his (all punishable) approaches).

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I have really no idea, why you think Ganons defense is amazing...

Falcon can easily punish all of Ganons moves with DownB OoS, something Ganon can't do, thanks to his neverending startup lags

Blad01

Smash Lord
I have really no idea, why you think Ganons defense is amazing...

Falcon can easily punish all of Ganons moves with DownB OoS, something Ganon can't do, thanks to his neverending startup lags
So it's official, you don't know Ganon ^_^

Top Bottom