• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Discussion #33! Ganondorf

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
70:30

You have:

-Much more speed
-Better range
-Better stage control
-Better Recovery
-Better Gimping Ability

Gdorf:

-Can kill you at really early percents
-Flame choke can result in massive damage
-Some surprisingly quick attacks
-Overall good range, just not as good as marth's

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
75:25, take your guys average.

If the ganon is good with flame choke, you will take surprisingly large amounts of damage, and if the ganon manages Dair you off the edge, it is hard to recover... (but of course, the chances that could happen are very small).

Ganon doesnt have very much in this match up at all
His This IS SPARTA kick has some halfway decent range, but thats what your dtilt and ftilt are for.
You beat him on the ground and in the air, and you can punish almost every single one of his moves with a shield dropped dancing blade.

You wont be seeing this matchup much in the first place because of the advantages marth has over ganon.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
75:25 just cause he's heavy and there's a crappy, but existing, chance you won't 3stock him because he has knockback >>

Browny

Smash Hater
dont you guys think you are rushing through these matchups too fast? what is it now 3 a day or something, you havent really given the other character boards an opportunity to discuss it before youve moved on :/

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Okay pierce.....

If you want to claim 9:1 here go ahead. I might agree. I'm thinking 80:20 or 85:15 myself......

feardragon64

Smash Champion
dont you guys think you are rushing through these matchups too fast? what is it now 3 a day or something, you havent really given the other character boards an opportunity to discuss it before youve moved on :/
They're not closed. We'd love for more input. But it's more efficient to get multiple threads up. Marth boards don't mind discussing multiple threads at once. For example, we're still getting posts in link thread, while pk thread is getting a few, and this one is open. =]

Mmac

Smash Lord
I suggest playing someone like Zeonstar or Kosk first. they will make you think twice if you underestimate him. Trust me, Ganondorf isn't really that much of a cakewalk as you think it is...

Then again, you guys are Marth....

undyinglight

Smash Journeyman
I main as Marth and secondary with Samus and Gannon. I am prety confined to just Marth and Samus in tournament, I know how tough it is to play Gannon. This one is 80:20 in favor of Marth. Gannon's recovery is so horrible, and thus can be edgeguarded very easily by Marth. Gannon has very little going for him in this match-up.

Sgt. Baker

Smash Ace
I'm actually a Ganondorf main with Marth and Sheik as my secondaries.

I say 75:25 or 80:20 Marth still though. Although Ganon is the man with the almighty "Boot" he just has too many bad things for him. And Marth just has too many good things :chuckle: But don't think Ganon is a pushover. Good Ganon users will abuse his surprise D-Tilt range and Neutral A and can Thunderstorm and Tech-Chase with Flame Choke very easily. I will also say that I've gotten a few over-confident, edgeguarding Marths though with a Ganoncide or two lol.

But still, I'll give Marth the advantage here.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
You really need to be careful if he lands a side b on you.

Make sure you are unpredictable with it, if he predicts you he will either side b again or stomp on you for a possible kill. Though he may just side b > dtilt.

Hype

Smash Lord
if he is side Bing you on stage like theres no tomorrow roll towards the edge. He wont want to Side B near the edge and risk killing himself.

This to watch out for.

- On norfair he can side B into the lava, kill you, and survive.
- On pirate ship he can side b from off stage on the left side, grab you with side B, pull you though the floor then have you hit the front on the ship, and then survive.
- just keep away from these levels completely.

80:20 it's Ganaondorf

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
if he is side Bing you on stage like theres no tomorrow roll towards the edge. He wont want to Side B near the edge and risk killing himself.

This to watch out for.

- On norfair he can side B into the lava, kill you, and survive.
- On pirate ship he can side b from off stage on the left side, grab you with side B, pull you though the floor then have you hit the front on the ship, and then survive.
- just keep away from these levels completely.

80:20 it's Ganaondorf
I just said to not be predictable with it >_> Keep doing that and he will punish.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
99.9 to 0.1

enough said
Thank you. That was a ridiculously useful bump. Game changing stuff right there. I'm so glad you refreshed a one month old topic to let us know that. Anything else you'd like to add?
*not in a good mood*

Edit: I mean I'm not in a good mood because this board has been spammed so much lately. I'm probably over-reacting to everything, but still, my point still holds. =\

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Thank you. That was a ridiculously useful bump. Game changing stuff right there. I'm so glad you refreshed a one month old topic to let us know that. Anything else you'd like to add?
*not in a good mood*

Edit: I mean I'm not in a good mood because this board has been spammed so much lately. I'm probably over-reacting to everything, but still, my point still holds. =\
These Boards are pissing me off with all this **** spam, god people, read the stickies or get out. And don't bump 2 month old threads that have already run their course.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
ive played an amazing ganon plenty of times. its definitely not 60-20. if you get a perfect marth vs a perfect ganon, itll be around 70-30
Personal experience doesn't tell us anything. Give us reasons why the ratio should change, or some video evidence or something. Just coming in saying that our matchup ratio is wrong isn't going to help anyone.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Tone down the spam about his typo, keep it on topic.

I still think its 80:20, maybe 75:25.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I'd agree with 75:25. Overall, Marth controls Gdorf so easily and limits his options to almost nothing. But Gdorf is insanely strong and can punish hard if you make a mistake. He also has a relatively easy time spiking Marth (at least compared to most characters) due to predictable recovery. His ftilt and dtilt are quick and strong, but lose out to Marth's sword in terms of priority. Flame choke can be swatted away, but makes for a good punisher and can be devastating if he predicts how you will get up. He also has a surprisingly strong platform abuse game, so if he gets you on one, expect to take some blows.

Again, if Marth spaces well and doesn't take any unnecessary risks, it's an easy win. But I don't think it is so bad that it warrants an 80:20, 75:25 seems a bit more accurate.

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
The timing is really hard, but ive spiked ganon out of his up-b before
granted, 4/5 times ive just eaten his up-b, but its possible

Kishin

Smash Ace
The timing is really hard, but ive spiked ganon out of his up-b before
granted, 4/5 times ive just eaten his up-b, but its possible
Hmmm, I think a video confirmation is needed. I've tried it a couple times but could never get it right. What are the specific percents for this and is there anything special you have to do for this?

I know this sounds like it should be in the Q&A thread but I thought it would benefit everyone more by posting it in this thread. If I was wrong to do so then I apologize.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Just keep attacking Ganon and he cant do anything...

The only thing to notice is, dont up b because punishment can mean a stock if you miss.

Jab *****, fair *****, dtilt, and he dies offstage...I dont see any more need to discuss this matchup

Can Ganon even punish a shielded jab? I KNOW he cant punish a shielded dtilt. How fast is his forward b anyways?

Top Bottom