• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[12/10] Marth's Upward Killers: Why aren't you using Marth's utilt... and dsmash?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Perhaps misconception or lack of information would make Marth players tend to not use or overlook some of the upward trajectory moves available over the fabled Forward Smash (tipper or not), Dolphin Slash and maybe Forward Air, all being moves (excluding fsmash tipper) that kill at around the 120% marks... FRESH. And yet, considering how these moves are vital to damage building to a lot of players (Fsmash should always be fresh though), how is Marth able to finish his foes off with a lot more ease?

This topic in itself is a pathway to knowledge on how usable some of your most likely underused moves are; and to break the misconception that Marth is solely, like Meta Knight a horizontal killer.
Where it's truly obvious which of the two are superior in this regard.

Marth's Upward Killers - Synopsis
  • Marth's upwards killers are all fast.
  • Nearly all of these moves have little punishment if unpredicted. However they themselves should be used for punishment.
  • Marth's upward killers KILL at similar percentages to your 'forward' moves or LOWER.
  • In general, most people's styles would tend not to use these moves as damage rackers, let alone at all. Thus allowing them to be optimum at the time to kill when looking for an option.
  • Unfortunately, most of the hitboxes are not large in range when compared to a character like Snake or any other of Marth's moves in the horizontal plane.
  • Many of his upward moves have an irregular amount of hitboxes and damage output, making it hard to properly 'aim' for the kill.
  • The moves are designed to kill those above the ground. While many of the moves have hitboxes horizontally, hitboxes around the short hop range are more powerful.
  • These moves do not have accurate percent damage representation, 21% damage while a 10% one kills a lot earlier...
  • At this point in Brawl's metagame, professionals or people familiar with the Marth match up are expecting forward hitting moves to kill, hence always DIing upwards and away from their nearest stage border. This makes it even harder to kill using his forward trajectory moves, BUT makes it easier with his upwards moves.

All damage and kill percents are calculated using Marth against Mario on Final Destination - THIS DATA IS NOT FROM TRAINING MODE

Marth's Up Smash
Frame Out: 12/13
Damage Range: 17-21%​
Marth's Up Smash, like many of his moves is annoying to pinpoint. It has a maximum of two physical hits, but many hitboxes, one protruding from THE SIDES of his feet (that can stage spike people at edges) and the rest are on the sword itself. There are a lot of 'hit boxes' to talk about.

Insert picture of Upsmash here
  1. The direct 'tip' at the top of the sword deals 17% damage; killing at 109%.
    All other 'hits' kill at final damage of between 135-137%. (about the 120% mark)
  2. Just below the tip deals 17% damage.
  3. Below this point deals 18% damage.
  4. Below this point, around the area above his feet it deals 21%.
  5. Standing 'in' Marth (i.e. not to the sides of his feet) does 18% damage.
  6. The feet do 4% damage, depending on the opponent's damage/weight and proximity to Marth, they will either be hit with a second hit of 14% or 17%; i.e. total damage of 18% or 21%.
  7. While sliding [i.e. hyphen-smash] you may often get the hitbox above his feet and deal 21%.

Marth's Up-Air
Frame Out: 5 [auto-cancelled = YUM]
Damage Range: 10-11%, 13-14%​
Marth's Up Air is a lot less complicated - NOT. It has at least two hit boxes. The attack extends above him at 135° - 45° angles (i.e. an arc from the front of him to behind).

Insert picture of Up-Air here
  1. If the person is hit 'under' the main area of the arc (under 65° and above 115°), it seems it will register as a tipper (13%) but kill MUCH later (at least 15-20%) than a tipper in the main arc. These two hitboxes are not easy to hit with; generally only grounded opponents can be hit by this.
    These are the 'main arc' (65°-115°) areas.
  2. A tippered hit will deal 13% and kill at 120% damage.
  3. An untippered hit will deal 10% and is unsightly, killing FRESH at around 195%.

Marth's Dancing Blade Finale - Upwards
Frame Out: ? (Initial Dancing Blade hit at frame 4)
Damage Range: 10-13% (First 3 DB hits) + 6/8%​
Dancing Blade is godly. If move refreshing wasn't so important in this game I could only see Marth being Top of Top Tier - seriously. Dancing Blade is one of Marth's best friends, our main damage racker and punisher, it is unfortunate that when it's time to kill this move will most likely be stale; as it is Marth's BEST upward kill move (Snake would be scared, very scared). To get the tip of the final hit you will generally always need to have the 3rd hit to also be upwards - it's character and damage dependant. This 'move' has at least three hit boxes.

1. If the attack tips it will deal 8% and kills at 102% on the ground (PERHAPS LOWER IF IN THE AIR). However in a real match you're looking at this being decal'd at least 3 times before hand; it shalt not be killing until the late 130s/140s...
    Taking note of the picture is a 'blue outlined' area that is the approximate location of where a less 'damaging' hit will take place (i.e. grounded character)
  2. If the opponent is above the 'blue outline' they will take 6% and kills between 125-130%.
  3. If the opponent is hit within the 'blue outline' the above applies, except an approximate extra 10% damage is required.

Marth's Up Tilt
Frame Out: 6
Damage Range: 8-10%, 12%​
Marth's Up Tilt is a wonder - It has more hit boxes than I can count, let alone fathom. All of the utilt's hits are very dependant on the angle the opponent is hit in relation to Marth's body. The character's damage and weight seems to alter it as well. Some characters (i.e. Mario) being hit by the utilt at certain angles or if close (to the front) can be sent off in a way that looks similar to DOLPHIN SLASH. The utilt kill best at the 75°-115° range, the closer to 90° the better. The 8% damage hitbox can come out at the 45° mark.

Yes it is ripped off of 3rd hit of dancing blade, but the stances are the same.
While the opponent is grounded...
  1. An untippered strike deals 9% and kills at 127%.
  2. A tippered strike, being extremely hard to hit with deals 12% and KILLS LATER than the untipperd attack after 140% damage.
    While the opponent is in the air... and at the right angle
  3. Both tipped and untipped strikes seem to kill at 117%.

Now many may be confused on why I'm bignoting utilt, doesn't seem too special - at best kills at around the same time as upsmash does. Perhaps you question the weird hitbox drawn in the 'utilt photo'?

The blue hitbox drawn above is the ultimate sweet spot in Marth's utilt. It deals 10% and sends opponents directly upwards, hence much easier to aim than trying to hit at the 90° angle to actually kill. The hitbox of utilt covers an arc directly to his feet behind him.
  • "Sweet spot" utilt will kill grounded opponents at 108%.
  • "Sweet spot" utilt will kill an opponent off the ground (in the 'blue hitbox' shown above) starting from 104%; yes only 2% higher than Dancing Blade.

To compare, Snake's utilt will kill Mario on FD starting from 96%, so Marth with 8% more damage can also kill Mario with his sweet spot. Meta Knight will die from the sweet spot starting from 94%.

Marth's Down Smash
Frame Out: 6 and 24?
Damage Range: 13-15%, 17-19%​
The Down Smash has six hit boxes. It can hit opponents JUST above the ground, but not by much. It is actually a lot more powerful than you'd think... The angle of trajectory is the same on both sides but is different dependant on the hitbox.

Insert picture of downsmash here
These hits will send an opponent at 80°/100° angles.
  1. At tippered range in the front it will deal 17% and kill from 98% damage.
  2. At tippered range at the back it will deal 16% and kill from 104% damage.
    The next two are hitboxes within the sword, and not tipping they will send opponents in a 70°/110° angle.
  3. If it strikes at the front untippered it will deal 14% and kill from 119% damage.
  4. If it strikes at the back untippered it will deal 13% and kill from 147% damage.
    The next two hits are extremely close to Marth at his feet, they send in a trajectory similar to fsmash, at 45°/135° angles. They are also more POWERFUL than an fsmash
  5. If it strikes at the front foot it will deal 14% and kill at 123% from the centre of F.D.
  6. If it strikes at the back foot it will deal 13% and kill at 124% from the centre of F.D.
Marth's down smash at the foot range are MORE powerful than his forward smash untippered, amazing, right?

Marth's Up Throw
Frame Out: 3 (for grab?)
Damage Range: 4%​
Marth's up throw can kill at high percentages, it's somewhat of a last resort if a person just won't die at high percents and your moves are reasonably stale.

Marth's up throw will kill at 180%.

Conclusion:
In terms of power:

Snake's Utilt (96%) > Dsmash (98%) > DB (102%) > Utilt (104%) > Up Smash (109%) > Uair (120%) > Up Throw (180%)

In terms of speed:

Grab (3fr) > Uair (5fr) > Utilt (6fr) = Dsmash (6fr) > Up-smash (12/13fr). DB is subjective with speed... but in theory 4frames. I have no idea what Snake's utilt frame start up is.

In terms of range:
Down Smash > Dancing Blade (1st strike) > Snake's Utilt > U tilt (front) > Up air (back) >= [really hard to tell] Standing Grab > Up Air (front)> Up Smash > U tilt (back)

... Thanks for reading, and I hope you have something new to try and test out :)

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Really good read and useful info. I do use utilt and uair to ko, its just forgotten, and I go for a dolphin slash or dsmash. I rarely use upsmash to ko, I use it to rack damage and only when Im sure itll hit. The one problem with dancing blade (up variation) ko'ing is because by the time it gets to the 4th hit, its already weakened a bit. But yeah, at 80-90%, start grabbing and pummeling and finish them off with a up dancing blade. :)

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Cool thread.

I never thought of U-tilt having different hitboxes so much as the hitbox having different knockback and properties depending on where in the sword arc he hit his opponent.

Same with U-smash. Although when you hit with U-smash at Marth's feet it sort of sucks them into the sword strike for the full 18% damage.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I go for a dolphin slash or dsmash. The one problem with dancing blade (up variation) ko'ing is because by the time it gets to the 4th hit, its already weakened a bit.
Hmm, ughhh, dsmash is -generally- an upwards kill move too, I guess I'll edit that in tomorrow when I dissect it a little bit. Also I don't believe every individual hit of dancing blade causes decay, it's the move as a whole. i.e. If I do 4 hit combo of dancing blade and only 3 hit, it has the same move decay as if I hit with all 4. And if all else fails, sweet spot utilt should do the job :)

Cool thread.

I never thought of U-tilt having different hitboxes so much as the hitbox having different knockback and properties depending on where in the sword arc he hit his opponent.

Same with U-smash. Although when you hit with U-smash at Marth's feet it sort of sucks them into the sword strike for the full 18% damage.
I'm still not certain exactly how it sometimes becomes 21% in 2 hits, though. Up tilt gives me a head ache, I'm over trying to hit with it ever besides the behind sweet spot.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Loved it. By the way, I find that utilt is one of the best set-ups for juggling(next to dancing blades ending up). OmegaSephiroth seems to love utilt. He doesn't always play safe, but he has some interesting uses for it. Check out one of his matches:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PB8JxSJOTg

Oh and I think how the 21% works is that the hitbox around Marth's body(along the center) hits them upward and actually travels faster than the people getting hit so it hits them again at the top....only it hits them the first time for 3%? Ya I got nothing.

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
very nice. I thought all Marth players were more aware of the up dancing blade finale, I've used that as a kill move plenty of times. anywho, I love this thread, way to give credit to u tilt.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
This is cool, it will help me out. I always go for hyphen smash kills with Marth when trying to kill upwards... I never knew it was that bad compared to the other ones.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
The up smash is definitely a confusing attack. It has multiple occurances of 17%, 18% and 21%. All bar the 17% one being able to achieve this with the foot hit or not.

It's definitely a misconception I'm pretty sure I've disproved, giving reason why people presumed it was like 'that'. Only ONE hitbox on the upsmash will kill 'early', yet every other possible hit kills at around the same percentage (135-137%), i.e. 6/7 potential hits of the upsmash kill at the same point. I can see why people would be like hey hit 21% MUST HAVE BEEN TIPPER AND THEY DIED AT THE SAME PERCENTAGE AS WHEN I KILLED HIM WITH A 17% STRIKE, ZOMG. It's funny that the tipper hit is weaker in percent than the non-tipper hits.

Also remember that in utilt the tipper kills the same or LATER than the non-tipper.

cman

Smash Ace
The problem with utilt is that its range is relatively short, and its unsafe on miss or block. This is especially bad in situations where both people are within death ranges. Still, i've been using utilt from the beginning. I usually get 1 stock per game with it :D

I don't think upsmash is as viable though. It's predictable when juggling, and in my experience, comes out too slow to use against a grounded opponent, unless someone has suggestions?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I'd also like to mention that PUMMELING your opponent to grab release is HIGHLY effective when going for any of these finishers. You'll rack up an extra 12% or so (better than any of Marth's throws) and then have them exactly where you want them, with a fresher moveset, so that perhaps even Dancing Blade is an option, if you've been using your poke tools, etc, effectively.

Also remember utilt punishers RD, and has a gimp trajectory from behind.

Oh, and tipper dsmash out of walk approach is GODLY.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Updated with down smash.

You'd be quite surprised.

Forward hit of Down Smash is the most powerful upwards killer Marth has (Yet I believe because it isn't directly 90° it is more DIable and perhaps harder to kill with).

The downsmash hitboxes NEAR Marth's feet are more powerful than Marth's fsmash, yay. The back foot is a lot harder to hit with though...

The problem with down smash is it's hugely variant in trajectory based around the opponent's DI and just its many hitboxes...

cman

Smash Ace
Marth's Dancing Blade Finale - Upwards
Frame Out: ? (Initial Dancing Blade hit at frame 4)
Damage Range: 10-13% (First 3 DB hits) + 6/8%​
Dancing Blade is godly. If move refreshing wasn't so important in this game I could only see Marth being Top of Top Tier - seriously. Dancing Blade is one of Marth's best friends, our main damage racker and punisher, it is unfortunate that when it's time to kill this move will most likely be stale; as it is Marth's BEST upward kill move (Snake would be scared, very scared). To get the tip of the final hit you will generally always need to have the 3rd hit to also be upwards - it's character and damage dependant. This 'move' has at least three hit boxes.

1. If the attack tips it will deal 8% and kills at 102% on the ground (PERHAPS LOWER IF IN THE AIR). This means a person can start to kill with Dancing Blade from 89-92%...
    Taking note of the picture is a 'blue outlined' area that is the approximate location of where a less 'damaging' hit will take place (i.e. grounded character)
  2. If the opponent is above the 'blue outline' they will take 6% and kills between 125-130%.
  3. If the opponent is hit within the 'blue outline' the above applies, except an approximate extra 10% damage is required.
Wait, does using up/down/or center strikes diminish all the others? I always assumed they were counted separately.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
The problem with down smash is it's hugely variant in trajectory based around the opponent's DI and just its many hitboxes...
Isn't that a good thing? Opponents might misjudge which hitbox they are being hit by and DI wrong. Also if they don't know the angles of trajectory of each of the separate hitboxes, they're hard pressed to DI correctly anyway.

I guess it could be bad if you're trying to get the upward kill, though.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Wait, does using up/down/or center strikes diminish all the others? I always assumed they were counted separately.
Did you not read me already address this point? Hell I already explained it reasonably well.

Move Decay contains the last 10 moves you used.
One use of dancing blade either hitting with it once, twice, thrice or FOUR TIMES will only count as ONE DANCING BLADE in the move decay.

*sigh*.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
I'd also like to mention that PUMMELING your opponent to grab release is HIGHLY effective when going for any of these finishers. You'll rack up an extra 12% or so (better than any of Marth's throws) and then have them exactly where you want them, with a fresher moveset, so that perhaps even Dancing Blade is an option, if you've been using your poke tools, etc, effectively.
Or you could pummel for 10 damage and then throw up to set up for them for a juggle if you're almost at kill %'s but not quite =]

Nic64

Smash Lord
This is cool, it will help me out. I always go for hyphen smash kills with Marth when trying to kill upwards... I never knew it was that bad compared to the other ones.
me too, although I know it's not his most powerful upward killer, it's just generally one of the easiest to get off...this thread has a least reminded me to try and get DB fresh where applicable, and I didn't know up tilt was so great behind marth although that usage would be very situational

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
tipper Dsmash is still your strongest, and my most commonly used vertical kill move.

SUPER IMPORTANT!!!: Also, remember that with tap jump off you can UP SMASH OUT OF SHIELD! This does punish laggier moves that hit you shield, and sometimes be used as a punisher, even vs. some people's dodged grab attempts, etc! Dolphin Slash is not always the best option.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Wait, I'm confused at what you're trying to say. Most good Marth's will have top jump ON, therefor they can utilize this technique. Noob Marth's will not be able to do this, because of Tap jump off.

HRNUT (Honey Roasted)

Smash Master
wow, just learned that you can upsmash outta shield with tap jump off, i didn't really know that, and isn't the very last hit (all the way behind marth) during up tilt the strongest, i've killed alot of people at ridiculous percents with that.

cman

Smash Ace
Did you not read me already address this point? Hell I already explained it reasonably well.

Move Decay contains the last 10 moves you used.
One use of dancing blade either hitting with it once, twice, thrice or FOUR TIMES will only count as ONE DANCING BLADE in the move decay.

*sigh*.
Sorry, that's not what i meant. I was asking if the using the center strikes would also decay the upward strikes. I apologize if that has been asked before, but i haven't seen it anywhere.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I dunno about you, but I lurv my utilts for marth, the near auto-sweetspot behind him is good, and it has good range, speed, at low %'s a juggler, at high, a potential killer. Dsmash on the other hand, is one of my least used moves, due to the lag if I whiff or plain miss.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Sorry, that's not what i meant. I was asking if the using the center strikes would also decay the upward strikes. I apologize if that has been asked before, but i haven't seen it anywhere.
I already answered your question. Read again.

The answer is yes.

HRNut, yes, the utilt sweetspot behind him is mentioned in the main post... It is definitely a very powerful area of the strike that most people wouldn't be aware of.

And well, Down Smash is Marth's fastest Smash attack. And dare I say it... better than his forward smash?

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
heh..

srry but i dont think its better than frwrd smash. But you are right. Its faster and has a nice range on both sides. I think its under appreciated. I also believe its more usable than f smash.

Yet.... F smash has a high kill %. when tipped its lethal. When hit with the perfect tip... its just pwnage.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
srry but i dont think its better than frwrd smash. But you are right. Its faster and has a nice range on both sides. I think its under appreciated. I also believe its more usable than f smash.

Yet.... F smash has a high kill %. when tipped its lethal. When hit with the perfect tip... its just pwnage.
It is good, especially on tip (it seems, at least visually, to have a more pronounced effect when tipped), and it is one of his few moves that covers both sides very well. Problem is, I find myself getting punished srsly after whiffing one, whilst fsmash, utilt, etc., not so much.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
It's about time someone did this. No one listened to me around here when i said "Dancing blade kills at around 100%"

Very well written and informative, i hope to see more from you.

Mumble

Smash Apprentice
It is good, especially on tip (it seems, at least visually, to have a more pronounced effect when tipped), and it is one of his few moves that covers both sides very well. Problem is, I find myself getting punished srsly after whiffing one, whilst fsmash, utilt, etc., not so much.
Yeah, I try and stay away from Fsmash with him as much as I can.

Only use it when I know it can hit. Or I time it wrong and get owned. :ohwell:

So punishable.

∫unk

Smash Master
This is the first time I've seen this thread.

Anyways one of my favorite set-ups for a kill is sh ad going forward then d-smash they drop their shield for some reason.

In general if you shield something shield-drop d-smash and u-smash OOS have about the same speed coming out but unless you're tippering/going to kill it's better to go for u-smash because there's less lag after in case you **** up.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
OK, now I know why I preffered upwards DB over usmash in terms of killing. Usmash is pretty good at other things though, the hitboxes are crazy on that move.

Top Bottom