• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Application Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
The Smash Back Room is looking for 5-10 new members who can contribute regularly and intelligently to our discussions and decision-making process. As the community continues to grow, it is vitally important that the best minds come together and help shape the direction of the tournament scene. So we're looking for the brightest and the best new members to help our committee of leaders steer things in the right direction.

READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY! Failure to follow the application format will result in you being disqualified.

To apply, please post in this thread with the following information:

1. Smashboards name/ common tournament aliases

2. How long have you been attending tournaments through Smashboards?

3. About what rank/place do you usually finish at the tournaments you attend?

4. Have you ever hosted a REAL LIFE Smash event (Melee or Brawl, Online tournaments do NOT count)? If so, please list the tournaments and the number of players in attendance.

5. What characters do you use for Brawl tournaments? On which characters do you consider yourself an expert?

6. What area/region/community are you from? Examples: East Coast, West Coast, Texas, NYC, DC area, South Florida, Toronto, Northern Europe, etc...

7. How do you participate within and improve your community?

8. What do you expect to add to the SBR?

9. What issues do you think are important for the SBR to address with the community right now and in the future?

10. Please link to some of your posts that the SBR might find interesting or that demonstrate your ability to contribute positively to discussions.

EDIT BONUS QUESTION!: For cool points, who is your favorite comic book character/superhero and why? :p

Once you fill out this application and post it here in the thread, the current members of the SBR will review all applications and select the best applicants for membership. So your best chance of being admitted is to fill this out completely and carefully and to already be a contributing member to the community. However, you do not NEED to have run a tournament or placed in the top 8 at a major tournament to become a member. Those details just help us make an informed decision about your abilities and level of involvement.

If you don't get in this time, take this as an opportunity to get better involved in the community and then reapply next time. We generally do these applications twice a year, so you'll have some time between now and the next one to make an impact and earn your spot.

DEADLINE for applications is Tuesday, Oct 21st at 11:59pm EST. Any applications in after that deadline will not be considered!

Thanks for your interest and best of luck!

~M3D

Mr P

Smash Ace
Worth a go.

1. Mr P

2. I've been attending tournaments since april 2004 where i went to The Dougs first UK tournie, but since then i have travelled to tournaments across Europe and others within the UK.

3. In the UK i always place in the top 5

4. I've hosted one major tournament in 2005 called "Smash Wars" There were only about 25 people in attendance but i had players like EK Helios and The Doug in attendance. There were also 2 players who came from France Doraki, the guy who wrote the article about DI and Makenshi. I placed 4th at the tournament behind The doug Ek and Helios.

5. I use Lucario and Snake in brawl but i've never been to a brawl tournament.

6. The UK, northern Europe.

7. I'm the creator of the Scottish smash discussion thread where everything in my area is discussed and i regularly hold smashfests at my place and have done for the last 4 years or so. I also helped create the PAL tier list for melee.

8. I dont expect to contribute too much in the way of Brawl as i dont play it too much but i still actively play melee. I wouldnt expect to contribute soo much unless asked upon but i'd like to see the discussion that goes on regardless.

9. Well obviously since MLG has recently taken over the website people would like to know a lot about what MLG plans for the future of the website and all smash games. And specifically of course if MLG will do anything for communities outside of the United States.

10.http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=97627&page=7 and all subsequent posts in the arguement.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=103298 Scottish smash thread.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4765424#post4765424 random pool room post.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=169312 My thread for straight peach players.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4008972&postcount=60 The worst smash experience of my life.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
I am not going to enter as although I frequent these boards regularly enough and can partake in intelligent smash discussion, my smashing skills are far from what I want them to be. Plus, I feel I would have to inflate my own smash resume to really be considered. Instead I'll wait and actually be a member who deserves a spot next time, or the time after. So I won't, as failure is assured. But surely this isn't the most effective way to find new members? Do you realise the amount of spam that will ensue here? Let alone the amount of 08'ers that will apply!
Well, I saved you rejecting at least this one.
L8as SBRoomers.

Also: If I could make a recommendation, check out Tenki, that kid hasn't made a bad post that I have ever seen, he knows his stuff (and personally I think you guys need more Sonic representation in there). Or maybe Vyse? He has contributed so much of his life to smash and brought the QLD scene back from the dead, as well as ushering countless new smashers to the scene.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
I don't plan on getting my hopes up but here it goes.

1. Kigbariom/KigB

2. Never

3. N/A (first place in every local tournament)

4. Yes, on three occasions, I am a moderator of the biggest group of ex-pat gamers in India to my knowledge. All three have had upwards about 20 entrants, some longtime smashers, some noobs. They were all free tournaments, any character, 3 stock, a specific selection of items, and a small entry fee.

5. My best character in smash is either Luigi or Link, I consider my self a very advanced player with Link, but becoming advanced with Luigi.

6. From the least known community on these boards, the Indian brawl community. Most of the American kids like me want a bigger brawl league here.

7. I try improving my community by posting here in the biggest smash community. But also advertising on Indian gaming websites and trying to tell friends to tell their friends and spread the word.

8. I would add an important asset to the SBR, an experience in different brawl communities and someone who is new and has things never discussed on these boards.

9. The SBR should work on not improving the brawl community but extending it. Making it branch out of America and Europe, and move to Asia. Its all about the love of the game, and what better than to spread it.

10. Because I have just very recently joined the SWF, I am still sort of introducing myself and gaining experience. If my experience is not enough consider this my resume for further reference. Here are a list of some posts/threads.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196708 : India Brawl Thread

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=198134 : Discussion of Luigi versus Lucas

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5471181#post5471181 : Luigi's ATs

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5463468#post5463468 : Being grabbed

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5462224#post5462224 : Luigi Stage strategies

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Although I doubt I will be considered being added, I'll just try.

1. Spadefox / Spade

2. I've never attended a tournament started in Smashboards

3. Lower Mid Tier (I placed 9th at the Eurofurence tourney this year), I hardly have the time to do more than casually play thanks to my work.

4. Yes. These include:
Super Smash Bros. Melee Tournament at Eurofurence 2007 in Suhl (Germany) with about 25 participants.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Tournament at Eurofurence 2008 in Suhl (Germany) with about 40 participants.

5. Zelda and Wario, to a lesser extent Sheik, Mr. Game & Watch and Luigi

6. Central Europe, Austria, to be exact.

7. I've never been to the regional boards, to be honest. I've browsed a bit through them, but it wasn't something too serious.

8. Since I'm not that much of a professional gamer, I guess the only thing I could contribute is stating my thoughts and experiences of hosting tourneys to the topics discussed in the SBR. Also, I'm a music ripper and ROM hacker, and am one of the people who grabbed out Brawl's music, and found out about the "Forbidden 7". Maybe that adds a bit of versatility to my application. I dunno.

9. I think one of the biggest issues would probably be the SBR's contacts with the public. Although some of the BRoomies are posting generally, I think there should be more resonance with the other players, and someone standing there, linking the SBR with the public users.

10. I guess that would be my postings in the Tier List-thread.
And this: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=198474

As said, I don't expect to be taken in, but it doesn't cost anything to ask and doesn't hurt to try. *shrug*

CATS

Smash Journeyman
Cats

ermm since august 2004 although there wasn't alot of tournaments in australia before this time :3

around 10th

4. Have you ever hosted a REAL LIFE Smash event (Melee or Brawl, Online tournaments do NOT count)? If so, please list the tournaments and the number of players in attendance.
Never hosted as Caotic has it all under control here :x

5. What characters do you use for Brawl tournaments? On which characters do you consider yourself an expert?
In brawl I main Marth but i know a fair deal about Snake, Lucario, DK, Sheik/Zelda, Ike, Sonic. (i would guess that means i have a broad knowledge of quite a few characters rather than expert knowledge maybe?)
In melee I main Pikachu.

6. What area/region/community are you from? Examples: East Coast, West Coast, Texas, NYC, DC area, South Florida, Toronto, Northern Europe, etc...
Melbourne Australia

I contribute information and my opinion to whatever issues arise whether they be based on our or someone elses ruleset and i try and spread the knowledge i have to help people better understand the game.

hopefully just a well thought out opinion

9. What issues do you think are important for the SBR to address with the community right now and in the future?
A definite approach to things that could make smash as a competetive game stale and overall ruin its longevity but while keeping your options open in case circumstances in the future change. i'm sure a more universal approach to metaknight would be nice rather than small communities banning him and others not. A way to deal with any future things of this nature would be nice too.

10. Please link to some of your posts that the SBR might find interesting or that demonstrate your ability to contribute positively to discussions.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5559780&posted=1#post5559780
i don't really post an awful lot, i just like making my opinion known here and there on subjects of importance :x

JacobWins

Smash Journeyman
1. Jacobwins/Hampsterboy

2. Not clear on what you mean by ''through smashboards'' but in my local area I've been to quite a few

3. Top 3, but thats just in my local area

4. I've hosted a smashfest that consisted of people in my school that I found that played smash. 15-20 attended, things went well.

5. Ness, Kirby, Marth. I consider myself to be good at Ness and Kirby, still working on Marth

6. Midwest USA> Omaha, Nebraska to be more specific

7. If you mean by my local area community, I attend family fun center tournaments and such. If you mean to smashboards, I have yet to contribute much more than my own 2 cents to a thread.

8. Well, I've considered doing some in-depth testing of how ''Stale moves'' work and what not.

9. Meta Knight will NOT be banned anytime soon..if ever that is.

10. I don't have anything outstanding to link, I've just made a few long posts, a few short ones. Not really anything worthy to show.

It's worth a shot. :ohwell:

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Xiivi.

I first started with competitive Melee in the middle of 2006 and joined Smashboards shortly thereafter.

At smaller local brawl tournaments (<30 people) I usually manage to get top8 or somewhere close. At larger tournaments I've been to for Brawl I've made it out of pools and into brackets. I've gotten compliments about being inventive and a smart player, but suffering from bad habits that usually hold be back (terrible spotdodging habits that wreck me).

I have hosted a few melee and brawl tournaments. I hosted two melee tournaments before the end of brawl, one with 17 people the other with 23 people. I've hosted a few brawl tournaments since release as well, with 16, 21, and 35 players in attendance for each of the tournaments. I've held doubles at all but one of the tournaments where Brawl Low Tiers was played instead of teams.

As of late I've been using Meta Knight and Snake in tournaments. However I have used Olimar, Fox, ROB, Peach, and Ganondorf all solo in tournaments to gain experience with them. I will undoubtedly use more characters in a tournament setting by themselves, as I have gotten good results with everyone I have played thus far. I do not really consider myself an "expert" for any character. However I am fully aware of each character's metagame and try to keep in practice with as many characters as possible. I pay attention to most of the character boards and am familar with how most characters are played at a competitive level. So while I may not be an "expert" on anyone in particular, I'm fairly knowledgable about everyone. Even my least played character has quite a few hours of training on him. This is a trend I have kept from Melee and N64 smash.

My currect region is WNY. However I am in the Midwest a decent portion of time (breaks from college). I have also managed to luck out and enter a WC tournament as well. So I've gotten a pretty good taste of different regional philosophies.

I both go to tournaments as well as hold my own. I have actively tried to get new players into the smash scene in WNY and help them feel welcome. If someone is looking for someone to practice with, I volunteer to help them learn things. A lot of the community does not actively keep up with the boards, and I am generally good at helping them know what's going on. (Such as the SBR Ruleset and Tier List) I am able to record matches for people if they request it and host them on youtube for them to watch and learn from.

I would hope to help contribute to important rule decisions (such as legality of stages and specific character techniques), as well as character knowledge and discussion. I also find it would be good to help bring the various regions to agreements on various rules and not have the steep divide we do now. (Stages still vary greatly by region, in fact even the time limit still varies from region to region.) I've gotten a heavy dose of different philosophies from plenty of knowledgable players, so I'm familar with how the ideas vary. Deciding where smashboards takes brawl and keeping the community together is important to me.

I find the most important thing right now would be getting the community on the same page. The game is still young and the players are still experimenting and making different decisions from area to area. It's important to watch this and make sure to keep the current ruleset for brawl up to date with common practices. With MLG now owning smashboards it is even more important to make sure that when MLG picks up Brawl, no region will find itself feeling alienated due to the final ruleset. As for the future, addressing any issues players may bring up is always a good idea. Whether the SBR disagrees with the community or not, it is always good to address their concerns as they appear. (Such as the debates concerning banning MK, banning specific infinites, etc...)

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=176218
A rather old and out-dated ruleset, but it simply served as a good discussion for healthy debate and helped to increase knowledge of stages and tournament rule mindset.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4217946#post4217946
Made in the early days of brawl, addressing the new 'change' from 4 stock to 3 stock.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4406389#post4406389
An example of me helping Ankoku's Character Rankings List when it was first started. There are also plenty of other posts where I help decide how points should be distributed and such.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4478538#post4478538
When the EVO Ruleset first appeared I made several posts in this thread running actual tests on various items to help SamuraiPanda and others have evidence to back up their claims with the SRK forums.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4535971#post4535971
Random knowledge, I know a lot of facts about things in the game.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5299997#post5299997
Xiivi exposes the SBR's darkest secret.
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5567798&postcount=8
Xiivi makes an excellent application.

Bonus: Wolverine because he is awesome and doesn't afraid of anything.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
1. DRaGZ, sometime at tournament, I simply go by Marvin Choi

2. Through Smashboards, I have been attending tournaments since about when Brawl came out, but I tagged along to Melee tournaments by way of EDKT and, by extension of sorts, Edrees.

3. I generally end up somewhere exactly in the middle. (no seriously, it's always right in the middle) The highest I've ever gotten was fourth place in teams at a Chula Vista weekly.

4. I once held an unexpectedly large Smashfest at my residence after I posted for it on Smashboards. About 30(?) people came and we had an impromptu tournament in which Nicktendo won. I honestly, was just expecting a small smashfest, but it turned into this hefty thing that I could barely contain in my apartment, hehe. But, for reasons, you can see in the link below, it could never happen again, hehehe.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=163590&highlight=DRaGZ

5. I main R.O.B. and Ganondorf, and I consider myself very knowledgeable about them, if not the best at handling them (I fancy myself as both a good R.O.B. and Ganondorf, and I know I'm decent, but my tournament standings say otherwise). I use R.O.B. mainly in tournaments, although I will use Ganondorf if I feel adventurous.

6. San Diego, CA, West Coast.

7. I am amongst the most active members of the R.O.B. boards. I started the R.O.B. match-up discussion thread, although it eventually became outdated and thus has been neglected for some time now (it was made rather early in the metagame, so match-ups we had already decided had become outdated, and I decided I'd rather let it die than let people think that wrong info was the right info). I also thought that there were things being done by other members (such as Sudai's Defragmentation thread http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196732 ) that were helping more with R.O.B. match-ups than my thread.

I've also done a few things on these boards here and there.

8. An objective and analytical viewpoint. Although a lot of the stuff that comes out of the SBR seems to be sound stuff, I know for a fact that there are people in the room who have loaded opinions and are not necessarily doing things for the good of the community, rather just trying to extend their own agendas. For a room that's supposed to be discussing the future of the community, and considering that such representation is not a democratic process, it must be inherently clear to the community as a whole that the Broom takes it upon themselves to make decisions as objectively as they can.

1. Addressing the issue of Meta Knight being banned or not. Being such a hot topic of debate, I think it's only fair that the broom at least comes upon a consensus on what to do about it now, even if it means that they are agreeing to set aside the issue until later. While this is the current vibe I am getting, it is certainly not clear to the community at large.
  2. Addressing the issue of using modified versions of Brawl as a competitive standard. From what I can gather, LeeHarris is doing a "test run" of a "modified version" of Brawl at HOBO 12, which I think sends the wrong message when the official stance of the Broom seems to be "we don't support hacked gameplay". Pick a side and stick with it. If you do testing on a modified game, at least make it so that your stance on it is clear.
  3. More transparency. Specifically, some way of letting the other users know what is going on in the Broom, through something like weekly updates in the announcements boards. I think the major instigator of the "elitist" reputation of Smashboards comes from the secrecy of the Broom. I think it needs to be made abundantly clear the Broom is actively working to help the community rather than keep it almost entirely secret so that people don't get the wrong idea about it. In other words, proper and regular PR. After all, you guys represent what the Smash community at large should be about. Wouldn't it make sense to let people know what you are discussing?

The Elements of Brawl - Zoning, Spacing, and Killing
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199108

R.O.B.'s Sort-of Weekly Match-up Discussion
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=169415

ISJR for R.O.B.?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=173311&highlight=DRaGZ

Grounded Footstools: For R.O.B. or not for R.O.B.?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=197119

Old Topics

Heavy Brawl as the Competitive Standard?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=158712

Anti-Camping Strategies
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=158342

Camping; And a Response to Dragz (I didn't write this, but it's an interesting complement to my topic above)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=160548

Camping Friendly Stages and (hopefully) How to Fight Them
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=158268

Also, a bunch of stuff in the R.O.B. forums not worth linking to here.

And my favorite comic book hero is a tie between the Flash and Multiple Man. Multiple Man because he's cool and X-Factor Investigations is a cool series, and the Flash because Bart Allen is a beast.

Fino

Smash Master
1. Fino

2. Since before I came a member. I lurked during melee times just to find tournaments, but with brawls release I figured why not become an active member?

3. The last few tournaments I've placed top eight, last sunday 3rd (small but everyone thre was good), week before I placed 3rd at a KU campus tournament (out of 100 some odd amount of people), and then the week before that I got 7th at a tournament in omaha (30-40 people?)

4. No, though I do plan to help out with Gigabrawl 3 (big tournament in the midwest hosted by Johnson County Community College.... last tournament I heard was 60-80?.... it's the same place where event52 is being held)

5. I use Olimar, IC, Falcon, and am starting to pick up pikachu.... but he isn't ready for tournaments yet. Falcon and IC's I use in pools if I know I'll probably win. I consider myself an olimar expert not just because he's my main, but because I'm continuously on the olimar boards reading what others are posting.

6. Midwest, I live in kansas... and my crew frequently will travel around that area.

7. I do my best to follow olimar matchup threads that other character specific boards post. I also post a lot in the olimar boards, and usually have a lot of useful information to add to the topic (posts usually look like my thread http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199312 but usually shorter).

8. I hope to provide as much as I can in reference to olimar, and learning about others and providing my input to further progress the community. Also I avidly look for new tactics and techniques I learn with my characters, as well as provide insight to what I've seen others do (because we know that not every good smash player uses smashboards). I also keep up with many of the topics in the AT forum and the General discussion forum, and would be able to provide feedback / my thoughts of what the rest of the community is talking about.

Well obviously the tier list and MK banning threads are huge hot topics right now. Though I think they've been discussed to death, it would be nice seeding out all the people who just made random posts and be able to discuss it with more informed people.
I would assume the new hacks that are coming out might perk some interest with the wavedashing code that just came out (among some others that are out)... Though I do believe it would be hard to organize that.
There's been a lot of talk, that I know of, about certain stages that SBR has included and excluded.
New glitches that are coming out, along with new AT's that are coming out
Perhaps a matchup chart? Ivaneva's has too many things wrong with it (from both personal experience and from that others say), and DanGR's is being made very slowly. I think they could be used for reference, but it should be up to mains to discuss advantage vs. disadvantage.

10. Well, here's the one I just posted on the legitimacy of olimar on RC
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199312
And here are some others:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=175612 Olly tech (wouldn't call it advanced
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199134&page=2 Meh, here's one... it seems like the sonic boards just have trouble admitting any faults that he might have, but then again... it seems like they get a lot of crap from everyone else.

~Fino

BONUS QUESTION: Wolverine
Not only is he one of the most intimidating superheroes around, Wolverine also has one of the longest lists of abilities too. He has an ability to regenerate, ages slower than others, has super-strength and stamina, resistance to telepathy, and - best of all - those retractable metal claws.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Le THieN's SBR Application

1. Le THieN / THieN

2. I've always played Smash Bros. regularly with my friends, but I got my late jump on competitive Smash in June 2007, as I found out about several local tournaments through the Southwest thread in the Regional Zones forum.

3. In the three tournaments I played in Melee, I finished 1st once and 2nd Place twice (at two Midnight Gaming Championship tournaments). I have played Brawl competitively since its debut in America, and I have never finished anything less than 4th Place (three 1st Place finishes; four 2nd Place finishes; and one finish at 3rd and 4th Place each) since the game came out. The only time I've placed outside of this was a couple of weekends ago at HOBO 11, a Brawl tournament series in Houston, TX which is consistently the biggest tournament in the state every month it occurs. Many, many top players from in-state and out-of-state were on hand for attendance, and I managed to finish 17/112 at this event.

4. I hosted my first-ever, 30+ person tournament in August on a scant crew of two people (with even out-of-state representation by two people from Dallas, TX), and managed to squeeze in modest but successful single and doubles tournaments over six hours.

I am currently in the process of organizing OH SNAP! v4.0 on 22 November 2008, unquestionably the biggest Brawl tournament that the state of Oklahoma has ever seen. I have gotten together with Texas' most reputable tournament organizer, Xyro (mastermind and ringleader of Texas' wonderful HOBO series), and the both of us have placed great emphasis on out-of-state participation. The last month in particular has seen the event balloon into something that was being promoted as a fun state crew battle between Oklahoma and Texas into a blowout event involving a considerable number talent from Kansas, and possibly even Colorado. Depending on the success of OH SNAP!, I would like to try to coordinate efforts with TOs around the Southwest in order to put our entire region on the map with a Southwest Tournament Circuit during next summer.

So far, we have over 20 top players from Texas confirmed (many of which are on the Power Rankings), and Kansas has already promised to be present in full force with 18 of their members. We here in Oklahoma easily anticipate anywhere between 50-60 local attendants. Currently, the number to beat in Oklahoma for "Biggest Brawl Tournament Ever" is 56. I'm hoping to blow this number away by clearing the 100-mark by 22 November.

5. My main characters in Melee were Sheik and Marth, and my secondaries were Dr. Mario and Falco. My main character in Brawl is Diddy, and Marth is my secondary. I frequent the Diddy forums daily.

6. My regional allegiances belong to the Southwest. I was born in Tulsa, OK, but I grew up in Dallas, TX, and am now back in Oklahoma (in the Norman/OKC metro area) in order to finish college at the University of Oklahoma. I frequently spend time with both the Norman/OKC and Dallas scenes depending on which respective towns I'm in.

7. Lately, interest in Brawl from a formerly purist Melee community around these Oklahoman parts have strongly congealed, so I am typically known around this area for holding multiple Smash-fests a week (anywhere between two to four) in order to bring all these hardcore Melee players up to speed. We have all taken a strong interest in rebuilding our Smash community, and we all mutually look at OH SNAP! as the first stepping stone toward bringing together everyone in our region and putting us all back in the national spotlight (or, in Oklahoma's case, being showcased nationally for the first time). I've merely served as the impetus for getting the competitive ball rolling in our part of the state, and everyone else has done their insurmountable part of the workload in order to spread their newfound encouragement and enthusiasm with restoring cross-county camaraderie and getting better at Brawl in general.

8. I fully expect to bring to the Smash Back Room the same level of depth of conversation and analysis that I have mainly contributed to the Diddy forums. I like to fancy that the majority of my posts over these last several months are usually descriptive, thoughtful and well-organized.

9. The issue that is instinctually most immediate with me at the moment is the air of uncertainty currently swathing Meta Knight. I value other states and regions for taking the initiative and taking this matter into their own hands by administering their own Meta Knight-free tournaments, but it's no secret that the Smash Back Room is generally looked upon as the final authority that ultimately decides important matters such as these. The Smash community on a global scale can only go so far without the SBR serving as a beacon of sorts, and continued discord between the community and the SBR can only spell trouble for everyone in the long term. It’s pretty much imperative that there exists a mutually unified and coordinated effort with both groups in order to ensure the legitimacy and longevity of the SBR as a global authority as well as the prosperity of the entire Smash community at large.

10. Thread Links:

Aaaaaaand, for good measure, here is a link to my video thread if any of you are interested in surveying my actual play-style in the flesh.

11. Favorite Comic Character: Wolverine of the X-Men. I’ve always been intrigued with martial arts and hand-to-hand combat at large, and the coagulation of Wolverine’s reasonably believable powers with his decorated dossier as one of comic book lore’s most stacked out fighters pretty much made it love at first sight for me. Wolverine is quite literally a beast of a fighting machine in my eyes, and Marvel has explored virtually every avenue of this aspect of Wolverine in his almost 40 years of existence (as far as an examination on his various fighting styles and techniques go, as well as his well-documented history as a black ops agent). His powers – heightened senses, incredible agility, and instantaneous healing – all congeal to make him the absolute peak of a human in terms of health and pure athleticism.

An adamantium-laced skeleton just makes him ****ing cool.

D

Deleted member

1. DeLoRtEd1 - DeL - Jake

2. Early '05

3. When melee dominated, I was quite often in the top 3 at least - teams included. For a brief period, I was ranked #1 in Greater Toronto Area, and 10th-15th in the East Coast Canada rankings.

4. I started out hosting smashfests regularly, then moved on towards hosting monthly tournaments with my crew. Overall, I've hosted around 4 major events, and a handful of smaller events (all hosted at rented halls)

5. Peach - she was my main in melee. She plays incredibly similar to her melee counterpart. Here are some vids of my melee peach:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzfFGXUWHPw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-syDBQkVhrU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCxDeVI-1HM&feature=related

I don't have a whole lot of videos of my Brawl peach - so this will have to suffice. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHIDumHosDk

I also play Sheik, Marth, and Snake. Expect contributions from these 4 characters.

6. Toronto, Canada - one of the largest Canadian communities.

7. I haven't been participating in my community as much as I should have in the past little while, because of university and work taking up precious Saturdays. Regardless, I check SWF daily. :)

8. Insights on the characters I listed with their matchups, and my (experienced) opinion on some of the important debates surrounding Brawl currently.

9. The possible banning of Meta Knight; inclusion of custom stages; tripless Brawl, standing infinites on characters limiting their metagame; and other various questions that have or will arise as Brawl progresses.

10. I'm extremely active in the Debate Hall. In fact, I helped organize, judge, and competed in Debate With Your Power 2. If you'd like to read my thread vs RDK, you can do so here - I'm sure this demonstrates my firm grasp of debate. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=191583

While this doesn't have anything to do with the intricacies of Brawl, expect me to be active. I post like crazy.

My favourite "superhero" is easily Rorschach from The Watchmen. 'Nuff said :)

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
1. Commander Blitzkrieg, "Blitz"

2. Not very long, I've never been a very avid tournament man, but I've always wanted to be.

3. Never been in a large tourney, but in some other smaller ones, I've won or placed top 4.

4. Nope.

5. A lot really, I use a variety of characters, but my specialties are Wolf, Wario, and Kirby.

6. East Coast (North Carolina)

7. I always try to toss my two cents into things and give food for thought to the community.

8. I don't have any huge expectations as to what I can contribute, but I've always been one to voice my opinion, and I just want to have a say in what goes on.

9. A lot of legality issues, including Meta Knight and certain stages. I also feel that hacking needs to be adressed. What I mean is, using things such as non-tripping codes to improve the competitive metagame.

10. Oh crap... I can't really think of any. I run Make Your Move 3.0, if that means anything:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=189523

Bonus: Definitely The Amazing Screw-on Head.

There's absolutely no way I'll get into the Back Room, but it's worth a shot I guess.

Saltix

Smash Lord
1. Smashboards name/ common tournament aliases: OcTIx/ Mikalott

Brawl's release. (March)

In the beginning, I would place close to, if not last. Recently I've placed in 9th and 4th place.

4. Have you ever hosted a REAL LIFE Smash event (Melee or Brawl, Online tournaments do NOT count)? If so, please list the tournaments and the number of players in attendance. Never hosted one.

I use Lucario and Falco at tournaments.

East Coast; Georgia.

Joining the community late due to lack of competive interest in Melee has proved to be a little detrimental. Nevertheless, I post frequently in my regional forum, and attend most tournaments. I also try to get more people involved into the competetive brawl scene via introduction to smashboards.

Anything I can. Since I wasn't involved with Melee, I wan't brawl to be my outlet. I'd love to be one of the people who finds important things, or one of the people who has a say in something important to the community.

As of now, revisions to the tier list, the hack that allows Wavedashing and hacks in general, and the ever-continous debate about the MK Ban.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5304370#post5304370
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5561735&postcount=22
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5472775&postcount=65
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4892971&postcount=8

EDIT BONUS QUESTION!: For cool points, who is your favorite comic book character/superhero and why?
Spider-man. Growing up with him, he really grew on me. He's heroic and gets the job done. He is the epitome of Superheroes.

And if you need it, here are a few videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMmRdKhKVB4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS4x_Me_Uwc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zylZAR4q3IE

GofG

Smash Champion
1. GofG

2. Three years

3. Not very high. In Melee, I'm still getting better (I didn't have access to ANY competitive play except for tournaments, so I only ever got better at tournaments.) In Brawl, aside from stuff that Chudat and Chillin attends, top 5.

4. Just some local smash fests that no-one of importance attended. Maybe 9 to 12 people, more than 12 of them.

5. I use Iceys, Snake, and Bowser. I consider myself an expert on Lucas, up there with Tyr_03, Mekos, and Levitas. (Note that I don't actually use him in tournaments, but I'll play around with him in friendlies.)

6. East coast.

7. Foxy and I brought the first tripless Brawl to a tournament, Jubilee, back in July. It was fairly popular.

8. Another voice of reason, another character expert, another intelligent mind. I'll loosen up my tone a bit, I've been rather angry lately, obviously that would change.

9. Whether or not MK should be banned. This is the single most important issue right now. Also, Brawl v Melee.

good posts?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=153793 - Lucas AT Thread, stickied

posts i've received infractions for (must have been doing SOMETHING right):
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4590016#post4590016
was having some fun, Youko ruined my fun!

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5359996#post5359996
I never got a real answer.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5498829#post5498829
Samurai_Panda made fun of me by editing my post, and after a short argument gave me 2 points.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5543650#post5543650
Same thing.

Samuelson

Smash Lord
Samuelson would be my name here and at tournaments. I use SAM as my tag.

Well, I'm not gonna lie but my first tournament was September 14th 2008 and i loved it. Since then i have been to 1 tourney every weekend and i plan to keep it up.

I usually place about average but at my last tourney i placed 9th out of 42 which is pretty good for my 4th tourney i think. I got 25th out of 102 at my most recent tourney on the 18th. I have been placing better and better at every tourney and i continue to keep up this trend. I play this game all the time and I learn from my mistakes and i never complain or John about anything (no John McCains)

I have not hosted a tourney but i plan on doing so in the future. Hosting a tourney sounds like so much fun...and work.

I have only used Lucario at tournaments and I do know him very well. I have recently picked up Marth as a secondary to cover all of Lucario's bad matchups, which aren't even really THAT bad anyways.

West Coast, Southern California

I never hesitate to help people out because that is one thing i love doing. If somebody needs some Lucario practice then i will play friendlies with them until they understand the matchup. I always bring a set to every tourney just to help out, the more TV's the better. At the first tourney that i attended Unknownforce asked me for a ride and i gave him one without ever meeting him beforehand, he also lived 40 minutes in the opposite direction.

Well it doesn't look like there are any Lucario mains in the SBR at the moment except for Azen but he doens't really contribute to the forum that much anyways. I would most likely just be another guy voicing his opinion about certain things that the SBR discusses. I am extremely mature and can discuss stuff without flaming people hahaha

Well the #1 thing would be the future of MK. Another big thing is tournament rules and regulations. The tier list is pretty important also me thinks.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=185253

EDIT BONUS QUESTION!: For cool points, who is your favorite comic book character/superhero and why?
My favorite comic book character is gonna have to be Gambit from Xmen because his ability is just too freaken cool. C'mon thats just too awesome amiright? I just like his character overall, he's kind of the guy that nobody likes because he's a thief and i just find him interesting. I also really like Sylar but he isn't exactly a hero now is he.

Anther

Smash Champion
Redundant, next question!, jk though, Anther... maybe Therz...

2.3. How long have you been attending tournaments through Smashboards? Rank Rank Place Place?

Omg the questions ended up being so close that they melded.

I attended my first tournament February 2007, about 30-40 people also showed up. I sauntered in with playing Pikachu and was owning face until Hochiminhtrail decided to come over and beat me with Bowser. His attempt to crush my spirit failed as I won a couple close matches. It was pretty exciting because of the crowd it drew but yeah, placed 7th, lost to Needle of Juntah's Sheik and Alcoady's Marth (Back when Pikachu vs marth was a bad matchup, yeah I know right?!)

I've been to a lot of Michigan Melee tournaments, less brawl tournaments, somewhere around the vicinity of 21 brawl tournaments, but I've actually managed to make an impact on the midwest in brawl which is cool ;].

Locally in Melee I placed high in doubles, usually between 1-3, and 2-4 in singles... I lost to Shaeden and Dope a lot. Brawl I place well in the majority of the tournaments I've been to.

I went to pound 2 after being competitive in melee for about 5 months, made it to 2nd round pools and apparently went 0-6.

Hmm, Midnight Gaming Championships for Melee back last October I think I placed 7th out of 64 or whatever it was. The tournament was awesome.

At pound 3 I placed 25th outta 224 in singles and me and my Teammate Shaeden (Best michigan melee player >=O?!?!? ) placed 17th in doubles... I think we even got 1st seed every round...
Basically I got into both brackets and then went 0-2, all Pikachu baby ;]. (Well, any time I switched to falco or basically not pika I ended up losing so.. all pika.)

No =[

Primarily Pikachu, some other characters. I like IN THIS ORDER Sonic, Lucario, ICs. XD.

Midwest!!11 ... D=

The heck, is this smash related? I'm gonna answer both XD.
Well I'm in lots of intramural sports and outgoing usually. Not really held back by shyness often but will be shy if it's easier. I umm, don't litter unless it's really inconvenient not to.
On the serious, I attend smashfests almost regularly, I play with a lot of people that are interested in competitive smash on my campus... Umm... Pikachu's awesome and stuff... so are squirrels...
I try to tell the Ic players to not 0-death chaingrab people that are at their first competitive smash tourneys, or people to not bitterly counterpick metaknight against the same said people and spam tornado >.>... I think that's a good contribution XD.

Flavah! Some arguments people might agree with, others may disagree. There will be a lot more squirrels wandering around but you won't be able to link it to me. Maybe some different perspectives. I don't really know the perspectives back there so I might have a bunch of the same perspectives. Plus cool points + 10 whenever I post. I've been into competitive gaming since 2002, so I have a lot of game theory madness in my head.

Tournament standards, THE METAKNIGHT THING, DDD's standing infinite and why it's absurd and makes more metaknight mains.

Like all my posts omg, jk though.... they'll be in here by the 21st... maybe...

Smallville =D!!!!! ....... D: ......

Levitas

the moon
1.Levitas

2.September 2006

3.9th place consistently at local tournaments

4.Yes, I was one of the hosts at the UMBs, University of Michigan Biweeklies (there were a total of 14) and will be cohosting the U of M digiops tournaments with Scotu in the coming weeks.

5.I use Snake, marth, and metaknight in tournament. I have all pertenant knowledge on Ness and lucas, but do not use them for lack of potential. I've researched all frame data that has been collected on them, helped with guides, and contributed greatly to both of their metagames.

6. Midwest. Ann arbor, MI to be specific.

7. Most of my contributions to smashboards are in character specific, where I try to point players who seek improvement in the right direction. I manage a few stickied threads, as well as informational threads in hopes of improving the knowledge of the boards I participate in. I manage the Lucas matchup thread, the Ness video thread, frame data threads for both ness and lucas, and the lucas tournament rankings thread.

8. I expect to add unbiased knowledge of matchups and metagaming to the SBR. I intend to participate in intelligent discussion, which I don't see anywhere in smashboards currently.

9. The most important issue right now is resolving the communities desire to ban metaknight. The outcome of this problem will have the most profound effect on the metagame since the East coast vs West coast debate on items from melee. I think that a more uniform ruleset should also be encouraged for brawl tournaments.

10. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187864

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=140239

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=163465

And for favorite superhero, it's gotta be batman. the whole noir thing is a pretty cool motif.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Choknater

My first tournament was Tournament Go 6 hosted by Mattdeezie. Sooo… since August of 2004, I believe.

I always make the best of each tournament I attend… ‘Cause you know, I actually don’t go to very many tournaments. However, you guys are in luck. A while back I actually compiled the tournaments I played in and how I placed. I THINK it’s accurate, I just did it by memory.
Melee
Aug 2004: Tournament Go 6, 65th of 100+
Mar 2005: Green Oaks Havoc 2, 33rd of 50+
April 2005: Norcal Biweekly, 33rd of 40+
July 2005: Ney York City Gauntlet, 25th of 45+
June 2006: The Gaming Edge, 4th of 31
Aug 2006: The Gaming Edge, 1st of 23
Sep 2006: The Gaming Edge, 9th of 52
Sep 2006: The Gaming Edge, 3rd of 20
Oct 2006: The Gaming Edge, 3rd of 18
Oct 2006: NorCal Tournament 2, 100+ entrants, 3rd of 8 in pool
Dec 2006: The Gaming Edge, 7th of 12
Mar 2007: Yoshi Town Biweekly, 2nd of 10
May 2007: Yoshi Town Biweekly, 2nd of 31
June 2007: Norcal Biweekly, 5th of 38
June 2007: Norcal Biweekly, 9th of 32
July 2007: OC3 Zero Challenge, 200+ entrants, 5th of 8 in pool
Nov 2007: Clix Cafe, 5th of 17
Dec 2007: Norcal Ultimate Biweekly, 9th of 70+
Feb 2008: Clix Cafe, 1st of 23
Mar 2008: Final Modesto Tournament, 1st of 8
Sep 2008: UC Merced, 5th of 20
Brawl

Mar 2008: Modesto Brawl, 1st of 28
Apr 2008: Modesto Brawl II, 2nd of 22

I’d say lately my tournament record is pretty good, no? Besides NCT2 and OC3, I’ve been placing in single digits regionally since 2006. I haven’t attended a tournament in a while, but hey, it’s not like I’ve gotten worse. I’ve still been playing consistently despite my tournament attendance.

Yes. Many of the tournaments in that little list I provided were in my home town, Modesto, CA. The Gaming Edge tournaments could not have survived without my assistance (they didn’t know much about competitive smash. They started out hosting tournaments with on only Hyrule Temple.) The Yoshi Town Biweeklies were hosted by me and my friend Park. I was more experienced than Park so I ended up calling out most of the matches, hahah. I also helped host the Clix Café and Modesto Brawl tournaments. Note: I never really hosted a tournament by myself… that’s a pretty hard undertaking. I always host it with friends, so there’s never really a leading man and we each have roles. Hosting is fun stuff.

I use King Dedede, Sheik, and Ice Climbers. I’ve got pretty extensive knowledge of all of them. I’m probably best known as a Sheik main because I’m one of the better Sheik players in the country behind Gimpyfish. (Gimpy’s… pretty good at Sheik, hahah. Sometimes) Brawl characters are pretty easy to figure out compared to Melee characters, so I like to extend my diversity and learn how to play each and every character. You’ll see me lurking around and posting sometimes in every character board as long as there is an interesting discussion.

West coast. Norcal. The Brawl community is fairly weak here (compared to socal, at least) and many of the surviving brawlers moved to AiB. I'm one of the rare ones who stuck around here. Melee is pretty big, however.

In my own home town of Modesto, I’ve always held it down as the best smasher in the city. There were ups and downs. Sometimes Modesto has at least twenty smashers willing to travel anywhere for a tournament, and at other times it was just me and my brother. We have a tight knit fun-loving community here and we’ve spawned some pretty darn good players like HomeMadeWaffles, Park, and Chokolait.

As far as Pacific West goes… I like to spam in the regional threads. Hahah, I’m sure many people do! But don’t let that fool you, SBRers! I’m still capable of intelligent discussion! Heck, I’m in the Backroom and I’m a FORMER member of the Melee Back Room (before they wiped the MBR for new applications because of old members/new premies not having any knowledge.) Basically. I’m just really active on smashboards and have been for the past six years. I like to discuss things on many levels on every part of the boards.

I do take on a lot of strong viewpoints and try to argue with my own in General Brawl and Brawl Tactical Discussion. While Pac West boys see me as a spammer, it surprises them to see my actual serious posts in the Sheik boards and other character boards because they find I’m actually kinda smart haha. I don’t know exactly what I can add to the SBR community since I don’t know exactly how it operates, but I’m just putting myself out there as a smasher with good enough knowledge to have a say and be heard about many issues. I’ve always tried to stay ahead of the metagame in both Melee and Brawl and pioneer my own new ways to win with the characters that I like, and beat the characters that counter me.

I suppose creativity is one of my selling points? Would that matter in the SBR? Hahah.

If you guys would like a taste of my creativity in a old combo video, here’s one for you to enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7uVUsiHIGk

I also am a very close follower of tournament results around the nation. I like to know who’s good and where. I have a decent idea of who are the best players in each region so I can provide a very wide, all-encompassing view and am able to cite examples and history whenever I need to try to prove something.

- Metaknight, Metaknight, Metaknight… Jeez, this stuff is getting hectic. At first, I really considered it a non-issue, but now there’s been sooo much support for his banning, even from well respected members. I’ll put it out there right now: I don’t support his ban. I think there are a lot of things that should be discussed regarding his ban, and I do suppose the SBR has already covered a lot of it. The discussion evolves as the metagame evolves and more and more tournament results can be looked at and analyzed. I’d like to be a part of it. I just hope OS doesn’t shun me from the SBR because I think Metaknight should still be allowed, hahah!

- Did I mention I play every character? Hahah, here’s where that might come in handy: I’m not one of those play-to-win guys who sticks with the top and high tiers in order to win. I like to pioneer strategies for EVERY character because I do believe in the potential of low tiers especially during this first year of Brawl’s evolution. With what little AT’s we have on the plate, there is much room for strategizing and using the strengths of each character to succeed. I’ve historically contributed to discussions to many different character boards in both Melee and Brawl. I promise this would help GREATLY in discussions of new tier lists, because I’m a fan of the tier list and I’d love to contribute to its development.

I suppose the main gripe the SBR might have with me is my tendency to spam. I promise I obviously won’t spam in the SBR, hahaha!

Possibly the best post I have ever written. A Melee Ice Climbers Guide: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=112413

A modest proposal on the Mario boards: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=198705

Some Sheik stage strategy: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=195641

(Maybe this will be entertaining) Just expressing myself about the current metagame. A poem for Metaknight, and reflection of modern times: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199336

It’s actually very hard for me to find exact references to posts… I talk a lot in the matchup thread for Sheik, so maybe you can find some examples in there. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=174741

Does manga count? Who cares if it doesn’t. I’m actually a comic artist myself (art major in animation/illustration) and my favorite character… is Luffy from One Piece. By a mile.

The anime is mediocre and might be a turnoff for anime fans who aren’t into manga… however if you have checked out the manga, you’ll find that the story is some of the best quality stuff to ever touch the pages of comic books. Luffy is a character who is a genius at fighting, and despite his naivete and stupidity, he achieves his goals in a righteous and just way that change the face of the world.

Luffy’s dumb. He loves meat and beats people up immediately if he knows they’re bad. By doing so, he offers deliverance to those who were oppressed by the tyranny of whichever super-strong boss he beat up. He never realizes the political and social implications behind his battles, he just knows that the villain is evil and must be stopped. He cares for his friends and lives as a pirate captain who goes by no other doctrine but to love and protect his crew.

Luffy’s had some epic battles… Buggy, Arlong, Crocodile, Rob Lucci, God Enel, Gecko Moria… you name it. He’s even about to have one right now with
Boa Hancock.
The entire story is amazing, and it’s always fun to watch fully developed arcs unfold and have Luffy, the main character, oblivious to everything but the final fight (and his meat-induced recovery afterwards.) Hats off to you, Straw Hat Luffy.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Heck why not...

lol people will brag with these.

1. Chaco: I will only go by Chaco.

Random Fact: They are the type of sandals I wear.

2. I haven't gone to any SB promoted tournies as of yet, my first will be the one Virg is going to host. I've only played in local and my local hosted tournies. I'm 15, therefore I have major transportation issues. Let alone I'm the only person on this site from Cleveland, TN.

Closest tourney to my ever was 2 hours. That's kinda hard for a person who can't drive, and thier parents main focus is my sports.

3. I'm not gonna lie, it's not impressive to get first at a local tourney. all the tourneys I have played locally I have gotten first. Which isn't saying much.

4. Hosted a local tourney, 22 smashers. And I'm planning to host a tourney in early '09 in Chatt, that will be advertised on here. Yay.

5. Yoshi, Wolf, Jiggs. I'd say my area of expertise is Yoshi, offline, I no longer play online with him. It sucked the skill outta him. But I found a few techs with Yoshi. I'm the best at DRing with GC controls. One of the two who can consistently do the Draconic Trot. I know the match-ups, and consistently help with those. I'm a large contributor to the Yoshi boards.

I have also started helping the Jiggs community reform. I'm trying to get them organized and get their initial things down first, I started a new match up thread for them this morning actually.

6. I'm from South TN, Cleveland. But very close to Chattanooga. Atlantic South. Not exactly close to EC.

7. I'm like the only person, besides game stores, to have hosted a Brawl/Melee tournament, in my area. The Smashscene is non-existent here and by next year I'll be able to travel though. Thank god. I'm actually planning to draw attention to Chatt with a series of tournaments in upcoming '09. That is, if I can get the help needed. I'm only 15.

8.Lots of things really, I hope to help out first of all with their Yoshi know how. It was sad looking at the weekly Discussion for Yoshi. No one knew the solid facts. Best was Ankoku, but Ank was still off by a bit.

That is my main reason to be completely honest. I'm not one of those who who thinks Yoshi should be high tier.b I know he stands true at the current moment, but I feel people aren't understanding him enough. He's an odd green dino.

9. Right now everyone is really into the MK Ban, I'd say get a final answer on this. After the topic yesterday. I believe it is needed. Places are taking it into their own hands. ex. Italy. So I think it needs to be addressed right away.

3D's infinite.

10.Thread Links:

Yoshi

Jiggles

Bonus:

Captain Planet FTW!

I'm on '08er, therefore..no chance. =O

Rhambo

Smash Apprentice

Rhambo, Dan, P22

Since December. (I lurked the forums for a long time before actually joining.)

5-10 (I've only won 2 tournaments, both with less than 20 people.)

Yes, even though I don't advertise them on Smashboards. They are fairly local.
They are called Brawltime, and they are monthly (sometimes once every 2-3 months though.)

The average amount of people that come is 20, and I charge $5 to play, free to watch. However, I have hosted a tournament just a few weeks ago where about 45 people showed up, of which about 30 were outstanding. I came in 7th. I think most of those 30 are here on the Smashboards, too, even though I don't know their SNs.

I am by no means a *professional* but I do main Donkey Kong and Mario. I would probably be closest to an expert with Donkey Kong

Chicago, Midwest

I teach casuals how to play and how to become good.
The people who come to my tournaments to watch and play friendlies are usually casuals or just random friends of friends interested in seeing what Brawl is really about.

Well, I have a really good work ethic and can do anything you guys want me too. However, I would mostly like to analyze tournament results and help spread the awesomeness of all that is Konkey Dong. In the SBR, I can definately respond to most questions with straight, tested answers, and judge characters from an unbiased standpoint.

Obviously the MK abuse. However, I just think that solving problems that hinder a good meta-game developing is what the SBR should be all about.

I don't really contribute to the Smashboards that much, but I can give links that fit the criteria, even though they link to other forums. I will post all of the links in a few minutes.

I usually don't read graphic novels, however...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/orl-horror-graphic-novels-photos,0,3998272.photogallery

#1 and #8 are amazing. BUT, I would have to say that my favorite is the true man in black, Batman.

M@v

Subarashii!

My smashboards name is Pgh-M@v-Pgh. My main Tournament alias is Mav.(M@v on the game). I also go by Scott, my real name.

The First one I attended through smashboards was back in April of this year, Smashtastrophe II.

Of the two "official" I have attended so far:
9th(smashtastrophe II) and 5th( cyberconexion, pittsburgh local tourney), both out of 16 players. Going to be attending another tourney up here at psu nov.8th and 9th. And I will likely play in the tourney I am hosting in December.
I ranked 4th in an unofficial tourney hosted by my fraternity. About 40 people showed, but the ruleset was funky. The 1v1s were fine, but the 1st two rounds were free for alls >_>. I have played in several online tournies and on the allisbrawl ladder, but I don't count those.

I am hosting my 1st one in December. Its a Pittsburgh melee/brawl tournament, named Final Smash 08'. Right now it is looking like about 30 people, if not more, will show. I also helped a local gaming place in state college, Galacika gaming, host their first brawl tourney. I couldn't make it to the tourney itself, but I helped them organize the rules and procedures beforehand.

Fox is my main character in tournaments. I use Mk as my secondary/primary Counterpick. I also use DDD, Lucario, and Zelda/sheik once in a while to mix it up.
I consider myself an expert on Fox, and very educated with MK, DDD, and Lucario.
I am currently teaching myself on Zelda/sheik, and Falco.

I am knowledgeable with Wolf and Ike. My two closest friends main Wolf and Ike; I have plenty of experience with their matchups.

I can explain a basic way to play with all the other characters as well, except for olimar, ness and lucas. I am horrible with those three.

East Coast. Attending College at Penn State main in State College PA, but I'm home in Pittsburgh,PA when school is not in session.

I created the modern Fox matchup guide, to get the fox boards something it can refer to for guidance. I took input from the community as well for it. I am planning to give it an overhaul. I feel that it is slightly biased, so that needs fixed. I also try to help advance fox's metagame. I post insightful input into character boards of characters I am knowledgeable on. Lastly, I post in matchup discussions that are covering characters that I am familiar with.

I expect to add another mind that can help make the super smash brothers community grow deeper and more unified. I want to add as much intelligent input I can about the game in general. I feel my knowledge on certain characters, most notably Fox, could really help.
I want to work with other SBR members to get things accomplished. I also will be willing to put in the time to make sure those things get done, and that information given by SBR is as accurate as possible. This is crucial since everyone looks up to the SBR. I want to add a mind that will help make each tier list as accurate as possible with the information available at the time of the tier list's construction.

I believe the ban MK debate is THE pressing issue in the smash brothers community right now. It is an argument causing shock waves here. It is something that needs to be analyzed and resolved, whether this be no ban, ban, soft ban, etc. The SBR needs to come out with a statement on this, backed up by facts. That means making sure the right conclusion is reached, and that it is not rushed.

I think that a new tier list will be necessary anywhere from six months to a year. It all depends on how tournaments and metagame progression goes.

SBR is already doing character discussions, so that isn't an issue.

The modern fox matchup guide http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=186742
I finished the complete overhaul at time of the last edit

My tournament thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=193691

I had a Good Pm discussion with Emblem Lord about fox's strengths and weaknesses. I can't link it, but can pm it if you need it.

Fox boards in general...I'm all over the place there.

Its got to be Batman. He doesn't even have superpowers, and he still owns everyone. ;)

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
1. Smashboards name/ common tournament aliases[/COLOR]
For Math I use SOLID
For Wolf/Lucario/Game and Watch I use LEGIT

2.3. How long have you been attending tournaments through Smashboards and how well do you place in them?

I've neve been to a "real" tournament, I hosted one at my house (answer to #4) with around 8 people and it was pretty much just friends though and I won it. But I'm going to my first one November 1st in downtown Chicago.

Mostly Marth but I don't really claim to be an expert with him, I know a lot about him and I'm an active poster on the Marth boards, some other characters. I also use Wolf (I'm the founder of the Wolf Back Room social group, so I know a lot about him because of what has been said there by me and the other members), and I recently picked up Mr. Game and Watch and Lucario, but I don't know either too well.

Midwest

I am currently training 4-5 people in my neighborhood from n00b level to hopefully tourney level eventuly, there are many people that I play with almost daily that have gotten better because of me.

I hope that I can add my opinion as a young Brawler (I'm only 13) because I think it is important to have different ages debating topics because then you can understand how people from different intelligence levele (for lack of a better word, I'm not stupid by all means) and it seems like all SBR members are older (like around the 16-21 range) so it might be better to get a different perspective on things.

9. What issues do you think it is important for the SBR to discuss now?

I think the main issue is to see about whether or not MK should be banned at the moment, and that the SBR should discuss possible outcomes of a ban and maybe add to the rule list that if tournament directors wat to, they can ban Meta, and monitor the the turneys that do it and then see how people react.

Here's some so far:

WBR report #1 http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=198552
My thoughts on Marth after an MK ban http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=198183&page=5
Marth Stage discussion index http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=197672
Lucario mixup thread (second post) http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199389

Don't worry these aren't my only or best posts, just the best one I could find easily.

(I typed this all on my Wii, mad skillz amirite? lulz)

BONUS QUESTION!: For cool points, who is your favorite comic book character/superhero and why?[/COLOR]

I'd have to say Batman, seriously, all of his gadgets are freaking amazing, and for those of you that saw Dark Night, the Tumbler (his main vehicle that people were confusing with the Batmobile) is pretty sweet too.

I don't think I have a great chance of making it, but why not try, the worst you guys can say is no, and who knows, maybe having a young brawler will help?

XACE-K

Smash Master

My Smashboards name is Xace-K while my tournament name is Xace.

I haven't used Smashboards for tournies. The tournies I go to are small and local and are mostly unknown so they wouldn't be seen here.

I consistenly get into the top 8. The people I play against are at my skill level (which would be average) at best so it isn't hard to get a good rank.

I hosted both a Melee and Brawl tournament once. Both were small and didn't have any much people. The Melee one had 12 people and the Brawl one had 16.

I main Ike and second Wolf, Falco and Marth. I know most about Ike but I wouldn't call myself an expert on him.

I live in NYC which has a great Smash community the area I live in doesn't have a really great one.

Whenever one of my friends need help with a match-up, I'll help them practice. Also, I'll bring extra controllers or a copy of Melee and Brawl.

Another voice when discussing the issues that occur in the SBR when discussing the Smash scene. There's only one Ike main in the SBR last time I checked so I will be another one. I also bring diversity since I'm 14 but being young can also be my achilles heel in making it into the SBR.

The issues that are important right now are the possible ban on MK and using hacked Brawl in tournaments to fix certain aspects of it. Both could possibly help or hinder the community now or in the future.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=192160 The Ike Match-Up Discussion

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=197571 The Ike Stage Discussion

Captain Falcon in Melee. Watch videos of him and you'll know why he's awesome. If you don't think he's a superhero, then you just can't handle his awesomeness.

King~

Smash Champion
1. King Yoshi

2. Orginally it was supposed to be one back in june that got cancelled, so the first one i was able to go to was in september. i plan on attending more as time goes on

3. The one i attended in Sept. last place, and at Season beatings 3 i got 33rd

4. No, I plan to soon though

5. I play pikachu as my main and secondary alot of characters

im not a expert yet im still learning some matchups and working on counterpicking strategies

6. Midwest/Ohio

7. I try to ask questions that haven't been anwsered and i try to look at things in a diffrent manner than most.

Tournament wise, i will always ask if i can help in any way im always willing to bring a setup or help run it.

I Try to bring new people into the community or atleast helpthem get out of the state of mind that they can't get any better.

8. Another opinon that is capable of seeing both sides of the arugument before i make any final decisions on my stance. I prefer cold hard logic to unlogical what-if type of arguments. If I take a strict stance on something I will know my facts, i don't like going into serious talks with out knowledge of what i'm talking about. Ive also been known to play the devils advocate in a lot of lopsided aruguments. I'm just an overall fun person who will help in any way i can.

9. Metaknight, the ruleset, The usage of hacked brawls as tournament standards, the metagame in general, and handling outside sponsor's for tournaments(MLG, EVO)

10. I rarely post outside of tournament threads but i have posted twice in the ban metaknight thread and have made some of my own threads seeking information in diffrent character boards.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199123
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=195675

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196751
(i feel like i talked in a manner that didn't cause things to go crazy like some people were trying to do)

Bonus: Tie between Ironman and the Incrdible Hulk

I just like the character Tony Stark overall. He has so many weapons at his disposal and he's been apart of alot of major marvel super groups. I also like the way he runs his buisness its inspiring.

As for the hulk, well HE'S THE F#$KING INCRDIBLE HULK what more reason do you need.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
lots of nice entries so far...i'll try next time once i've competed in some more tournaments and improved my game.

edit GofG, the op says they do this process twice every year. >_> don't see why mlg would have anything to do with this.

SCOTU

Smash Hero

SCOTU

Since September of 2006

I usually place around 5th place in MI-wide tourneys, although I have placed 3rd in Singles (Behind Anther and Shaeden in Melee), and First in doubles on multiple occasions.

I have hosted 16 Tournaments in total, so far, and am starting up a new weekly tournament series this sunday. Each of my tournaments has drawn at least 16 players, but usually between 30 and 50.
On AllisBrawl, I am a Certified Host, and have received the Host of the Month award (not that the SBR cares about AiB at all, it's just that SWF doesn't yet have a system for recognizing good TOs).

In brawl tournaments I use Falco, Fox, Ike, Marth, and Mr. Game & Watch.

I am from the Midwest (Michigan to be more specific)

In person, I attend tournaments, host weekly Melee smashfests, often times Brawl smashfests, I host Tournaments, and will be starting up a new Weekly (Brawl/ Melee) series as mentioned.

On the boards, I discuss matchups and gameplay strategies, I research a lot of frame data and other game data and post my findings.

Although not related to SWF, I help the smash community by helping program for the Allisbrawl website.

To the SBR, I expect to contribute lots of time to debating topics and developing/ expanding ideas. I would like to learn from, and contribute to SBR debates and discussions.

I feel that the SBR needs to address the issue of whether or not to ban Metaknight, and come to a conclusion, and let the people know with solid reasoning. Furthermore, the continual renal of the tier list, and possibly stage lists are important future issues.

Fox Guide (includes Frame Data): http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=188497
Physics of Attacks: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=155409
(Alpha Zealot references this Physics guide in an article for MLG: http://www.mlgpro.com/?q=getbetterf...dplay/theory/Stale_Moves_and_Decay_Prevention)
Frame Data Q&A: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=112627
Shield Pressure Research: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=109595
Stages and Sweetspotting the Edge Research: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=116475
Fox Infinite: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=109596

Bonus Question
I'd have to say Batman, because of The Dark Knight.

WaterTails

Smash Lord
Watch out, kiddies. I'll be editing this for completeness later!

Watertails on the intertron, and on one occasion at a tournament, "No-skill Meta Spam"

I actually haven't really attended any tournaments through SWF, but have been to a few, which will be elaborated on in the next two questions.

I always seem to stay around tenth-ish. Whether the tournament has over one hundred, or, like, twenty people.

Well, I hosted a smashfest in 2003-ish. There were, like, twenty-five people there. I don't think little "crew meetup"-esque events count (think, like, five people)? If so, far more than that. There was a period of a few months when I would hold one of those, like, pseudo-weekly.

I main Falco (currently, but I switch mains pretty often) and play a bit of Wario and Meta Knight. I'm fairly knowledgeable when it comes to Wario and Falco.

Midwest. North Dakota to be specific (and one of the four-ish people from the town on SWF).

This is kind of a tough one, but, as many others here, have been teaching a few "casuals" and helping friends with matchups. I have also lobbied for better tournament conditions (In one tournament, a TV without a lot of lag and a non-EVO ruleset (failed venture, though); in another, I did, with some help, manage to convince the host to turn items off). I've also kind of been an unofficial tournament advertiser, too.

I think I could bring some youth into the SBR, only being fifteen. I also think that with the lack of large tournaments in North Dakota, I could bring some more understandable-to-casuals decisions. I guess this gets continued in the next question, but they fit together pretty well.

9. What issues do you think are important for the SBR to address with the community right now and in the future? Even though this particular issue has kind of been quelled, but it doesn't hurt to attempt to "drive the final nail" through the whole Metaknight debacle. Also, with the uprising of hacking proponents (and my "expertise" with Ocarina and Gecko OS), I could help with hacking related decisions

10. Please link to some of your posts that the SBR might find interesting or that demonstrate your ability to contribute positively to discussions. I guess I've been more "helpful" than "discussive" as of late, so this one might be blank...

Super special bonus: Smash BRoomers are the coolest, they're so awesome, they don't even need comics or super powers.

If that doesn't count (or is too sycophantic), I'll just go ahead and say the Tick. What's more awesome than nigh-invulnerability?

Furbs

Smash Journeyman

Furbs/Furbs

sense december of 2007

around 17th-ish

No, but i've helped run smashfests, ect.

Yoshi, although i do experiment with a LOT of the cast. And I feel very confident in my knowledge of yoshi.

I am currently residing in Houston Tx. although i consistently make trips to both the west coast and attend tournaments there. (also going to start moving east)

I have 500+ hours of community service, I am involved in my colleges theater program......oh wait SMAAASH community!
I house out of city/state people for upcoming tournaments, I offer input on how to better run tournaments, and I take my experience from out of state tournaments and try to integrate it into our own tournaments.

Well, I'd of course add Intelligent and unbiased posts to the SBR, but I'm sure that's what everyone back there already offers. I noticed there aren't too many people in the SBR that know too much about yoshi and I think I'd be able to help with any questions about him, also because of my consistent comings and goings around the nation I feel I could offer valuable advice to what makes a tournament successful as opposed to what makes a tournament unappealing.

Well obviously metaknight has a bunch of red flags surrounding him. Also a thread about tournament organization would be good too. (the rules are up but a lot of TO's don't know how to RUN a tournament i.e. poor seeding, poor use of time, ect.)

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5542696#post5542696
Response to Houstons banning of MK for HOBO 12

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5522162#post5522162
Response to Xyro's placings

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5501369#post5501369
Response to Edreese's thoughts on pin-stripe suits

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4339378#post4339378
Thoughts on Yoshi

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4606936#post4606936
Response to some of yoshi's poor matchups

Dare Devil, He's Handi-capable! :)

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
I'm a special case, I use a different Alias at every event: Inferno, Obama, Mcain, MrSirDrDaddy, etc... (Most Recent Player name: 2girls1bucket5buffalo4indians3midgets1gerbil.com).

I've been attending tournaments for Brawl through Smashboards since the game came out.

My first large tourney I took 13th with Wolf and have taken 3rd and 5th place rankings with Random since then. I commonly place in the top ten of tournaments I attend, at least in the upper half of participants in large scale tournaments.

I host the Wichita Bi-weekly series at my house every other saturday. We usually run between 20 and 30 participants. Our most recent Bi-weekly pulled several out of city competitors and ran 27 participants, despite planning to have a lower turnout than usual due to Event 52.

Random. I'm serious. I'll also counterpick characters constantly, but have only gone one character straight through once (Wolf at JCCC2). I consider myself an expert on Jiggz, Game & Watch, R.O.B., Wolf, Dedede, Captain Falcon, Zelda, Toon Link, Lucario, and Pikachu with a deep knowledge of every other character (except Zero Suit Samus).

Kansas fits in the Midwest Range though we rarely travel north to the larger section of the midwest scene.

My skills with the entire cast of characters allow others to be able to train against any character they might be having trouble with at any time. I go out of my way to teach new players tactics and techniques that will help them compete and generally grow the community. I'm willing to often show people how to more easily defeat me, even when that means I might not be able to beat them anymore. I open my house to tournaments and gatherings on a regular basis and I always congratulate my opponents on a match well played.

A view from a heavily under represented section of the Smash community. The Kansas area has its own unique metagame that has developed, and we are quite capable of competing on a national level as represented by our players doing well at HOBO11. I'm also very handy at knowing my matchups and stage counterpicking for most of the characters.

I think there is a great deal of unrest in the community right now, with heavy tension between Melee/Brawl debators and the "Metaknight Issue". I think right now the SBR needs to be looking into ways of diffusing these tempers and bringing the community back together more solidly with steady support for both Melee and Brawl. I also feel that the SBR should be researching into what tournament scenes look like both with and without Metaknight for the sake of future discussions for or against the banning of him. I would love to see more work being done with the MLG in the possibility of adding Smash to the circuit.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=186515
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5438464#post5438464
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5453680#post5453680
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5313875#post5313875
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5272148#post5272148
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5332864#post5332864
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5267539#post5267539

EDIT BONUS QUESTION!: For cool points, who is your favorite comic book character/superhero and why? :p
Booster Gold is way too good. A time-travelling superhero who basically recreated the multiverse through his existence? Holy crap. Really my list goes on, and I could write an essay on super heroes (Actually I've written papers on it, I'm an English Education student, you get to do fun things like that), Marvel/DC/Darkhorse/Action/etc. "The whole she-bang-a-bang."

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
SBR Application

I'm really really sorry about how long this is. I've tried to make things as straight forward as possible. They do say writing to a word limit is a skill >.>
Maybe there should be a word limit next time?

I pretty much always go by the name 'Vyse'

I've been attending smashboards tournaments since late 2005/early 06.

When it came to Melee tournaments, I became reknowned for consistently placing 7th, but it did fluctuate around that number by a few places.

My Melee Tournament History from memory includes:
  • SQUAT 1, 2, 3 and 4
  • Totally Not a Tournament
  • Lansmash 06'
  • Queensland Smash Buddies
  • Queensland Smash Mates
  • Comrades of the Kaydash (Which featured CAOTIC <3)
At my most recent tournament 'Queensland Brawl Buddies' I placed 13th out of 69 entrants for Brawl singles, 7th from 32 teams, and placed 5th from 16 entrants for Melee Singles.

Yes, several. Over the course of the last few years, I've played host to the SQUAT tournament series in my state of Australia, a run of Melee tournaments which usually garnered 30+ entrants.

• SQUAT 1 - Didn't have a thread. It was planned through our state's Discussion thread.
  • SQUAT 2 - Although the OP isn't me, most the organising was done by myself and my crew
  • SQUAT 3 was mostly organised by Darkwing SykeDuk, who has been a valuable adviser to me over the years concerning tournament organisation.
  • SQUAT 4 - The last tournament in the series.
SQUAT I believe is a very important part of Queensland, Australia's smash history, as it helped to foster a very competitive smash scene, pitting rival crews 'The Ward' and 'TECH Team' against each other again and again.

More recently, I've hosted two Brawl tournaments over back to back weekends. The first being the Animania Brawl Tournament, which was a scrubby item fest, but still an example of my organizing nonetheless. It attracted 45 entrants and was easily the most popular game on show. This was an interesting venture, as I had to work directly with the Animania event staff (it was an anime convention) and I used this tournament to advertise my upcoming major national tournament.

Queensland Brawl Buddies is a tournament that I consider my crowning moment for the year. I initiated organizing for it in July, and it garnered national interest, attracting players from 3 different states/territories other than Queensland itself. Its Brawl Singles entrants totaled 69, Brawl Doubles Teams totaled 32 and Melee Singles Entrants totaled 16.

There is also an Australian Wifi Brawl League run by a company named ‘GotGames’ which I have been appointed state referee for Queensland. Whilst the ladder part of wifi league will be online, there is also going to be a offline state qualifier which will happen early next year. I will be the one directing that.

I am also spearheading the initiation of my state's monthly tournament scene.

Diddy Kong. I consider myself an expert on Diddy Kong, having followed and help to document the growth of this character for more than half a year now. People from my country of Australia consider me its expert regarding the character, and although they have no real proof except for tournament results, they regard me as probably my country's best Diddy Kong player. I don't normally go around spouting stuff like that, but for the purposes of this application, I've written what I believe.

Queensland, Australia. Specifically the Gold Coast/Brisbane area.
I would very much like to travel with the Australian Crew to 'Ohana' in Boston next year though :)

I read and participate in smashboards threads every day. Within my own immediate community of smashers, I am always bringing them information regarding the latest happenings on smashboards, and am in charge of organizing weekly, monthly and major events. Even now I'm attempting to co-ordinate my state's team of smashers for the next national event.

I also am thread keeper and writer for the Australian Smash E-Newsletter ‘Australian Smash Organisation’ which is a newsletter regarding Australian smash that CAOTIC and I have been working on for the last few months, and have been emailing to people on an emailing list we’ve set up.

In the world community, I have offered much to the Diddy Kong community, getting it on the right track right from the get go, and offering my views and help regarding the evolving nature of Diddy Kong’s Metagame. As well as this, I am also thread keeper of 'The Comprehensive Guide to AT’s, Discoveries and Glitches', a massive thread that houses links to the majority of major discoveries regarding character specific and non-specific techniques and glitches.

The role I hold dearest to me however, is being Crew Captain and founding member of 'The Ward' the best crew in Gold Coast, Queensland and as of right now, the top Crew in all of Queensland. Together, over the years, my crew has trained together, played together, and battled as a team. TECH Team had a very similar bond, and as such, if you watch the many crew battles of the last few years, you'll see that every single one is as loud and as competitive as the last.

I enjoy being a pro-active leader, and mostly, playing a game that I devote so much of my life to being an active member of.

Every weekend, I'm in search of somebody to play with. I'm always hitching a ride to the next smash meet, even if it's really short notice. I'm always there to give advice to players in my state, showing them how to do things they may not have known how to with their characters, and offering them as much practice as they're willing to go through. Nobody is below me, and I am often humbled by their praise.

I expect that I will be able to add the opinion of a player from a country that is very different to America in the way our Pro-Smash scene has evolved over the years. It is my intention to provide a different angle on the way things are looked at, and come up with new ideas with which to tackle some of the most prominent issues in competitive smash today. I already have tried to put forth several ideas, which have seen some discussion, but due to the nature of certain threads, many times I feel I am going unheard and I should expect that the SBR could help me put forward new ideas.

I am a very open minded individual in all facets of my life. My contributions to, and discussion within the SBR would be likewise.

As many before me have said, it’s the issue of Metaknight that is perhaps most prominent at the moment. As a tournament director in a country where already one state has decided to go forward with banning Metaknight, I am coming under increased pressure to seek a resolution and I believe that being apart of the SBR will help me make my decision.

However, it is because of Metaknight, that I think other issues should be considered as well. This include the legal stage list proposed by the SBR, which I believe may be key to solving the problem.

There are also mixed reports about the popularity of Brawl as a competitive fighter. I believe that it is another talking point that is important to discuss. We must find ways to either ensure or improve the status of Brawl as a competitive fighting game.

In that regard, the whole concept of Brawl needs to be looked at as a whole. There are many underlying issues that people seem to think hold it back. It's supposedly not a very technical game (at least, compared to Melee), is currently being dominated by a select few (Many would argue just one) characters and people fear that issues like these could very well derail the competitive scene completely if things don't change.

Motivation. What motivates smashers? People are quick to answer with 'Money' and 'Winning' and it is this which some argue may destroy Brawl. CAOTIC once said that Australia's smash scene would have died a long time ago if it revolved around money, and I'm inclined to agree. This issue may be more important than any other. Overswarm's 'Metaknight Plague' analogy is a chief example of the negative impacts that player motivation is having on competitive Brawl.

Here are a few examples of my contributions to the community.

To make life easier, I added a description against a few of the links to establish the context/give a summary without beating around the bush.

I am a real sucker for Spiderman. His underdog appeal and sharp wit make me smile every single time.

Oh and:

Or maybe Vyse? He has contributed so much of his life to smash and brought the QLD scene back from the dead, as well as ushering countless new smashers to the scene.
Thanks Greenie. I really appreciate the support : )

Frames

DI

Frames is all I go by for smash, if you see me at a DDR tournament then it'll be K2.

Ever since I started college which was August 2007, although I went to other local events before that, they weren't on smashboards.

Honestly I do pretty average in tournaments, I know a lot about both games, but I just have problems in tournaments....usually i'll get knocked out after a few rounds.[/johns]

This July my staff and I hosted FAST1, one of the first big melee/brawl tournaments, and the first 4 day tournament if I remember correctly. We had around 80 people show up for Melee, and about 130 people show up for Brawl, many from out of state as well as plenty of local players.

For brawl tournaments I usually use R.O.B. only, I'm still trying not to have to switch to MK, but it's proving somewhat more challenging than I originally thought :laugh:. As far as an "expert" I guess I would consider myself pretty knowledgeable about ROB and all of his matchups.

Central Florida babay!! woot!

Aside from hosting occasional tournaments, I always attend local tournaments in my area, and always encourage people to go to tournaments. I am also planning on driving a car full of people out of state to TGMTSTGMTSBCO as well as Tipped off 4

I expect to add a unique view to discussions, I always manage to take a pretty neutral side on issues, usually as a voice of reason, and I usually don't let my emotions get in the way unless it's an issue I feel strongly about, and even then I manage to argue in an orderly fashion.

I think my opinions about competitive smash and how we as a community can grow and develop will ultimately prove to be a great asset to the Back room, I want to help shape and develop the new standards for tournaments, and to engage in new discussions, ideas,and philosophies about Smash and how we can lead this community into the future.

Addressing the recent situations regarding Metaknight are definitely important; the back room should weigh heavily on this issue and make a firm, rational decision, since this could prove to affect the gameplay of brawl significantly if he were banned.

Also, with MLG emerging into the scene, first through the acquisition of Smashboards and the recent announcement of the Road Runner tournament, we should look into exploring new venues and events for Smash, the possibilities are litterally endless, and with such a huge sponsor backing us up, the idea of a national circuit is no longer an impossible dream; MLG could make it a reality.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=154467 - ROB guide, outdated, but shows I was involved from the beginning
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5285180#post5285180 - making the most of a bad situation

*more to come later

Really most of my posts re fun-hang-out-and-chat-with-smashers then real discussion, but that's really because I have yet to get in a situation where I can conduct serious discussions with other smashers about the community at large (something I would think happens often in the SBR).

Emperor Joker

2+2 = fish

nuff said

Sliq

Smash Master

Sliq, Sex Master, The Lord of Cool, Edmond Chesterbury, Monteco Rainecastle, Paul

I started attending tournaments around October of 2005, about the same time I went off to college. Kel was all like, "you gotta see this forum site dawg. they gots all types of cool PANCAKES," and I was like," Say WHUT!?"

I'd say I consistently place top 8. Mostly around 5th and 7th. If you haven't heard of me or know how awesome/amazing I am then you should pull your head out of your RAINBOW and re-evaluate your life up until this point to try and figure out where you went astray.

I placed 17th at Pound 3 beating Forward--proving once and for all that I am better than Forward--, which knocked Wobbles out of bracket, and losing in bracket to M2K and Mango, the people that placed 1st and 2nd.

WTON Results - 5th Singles, 4th Doubles

Smash and Coffee 2 Results - 5th Singles, 2nd Doubles

Midwest Circuit Placements - 6th Best in MW Singles, 3rd Best in MW Doubles

Also, I'm better than DSF. This is fact backed by science.

I have hosted very informal tournaments at my apartment, usually only getting like 8-12 people. This was back when Kel and I held weekly smashfest/tournies...up until we got robbed (you win this round guy with my original X-Box). But nothing major.

I use, in order of most used, Bowser, Ganon, and Wolf. I'm an expert at Bowser and Ganondorf. I ruin people's KITTENS all day with dinosaurs and warlocks. I currently have 2 pseudo guides up in the character specific forums, but my Ganondorf guide is considerably more in depth due to time restraints and schedules and what have you. A Bowser is fine too.

Ganon Guide:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164751

Bowser Guide:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=186215

I 'm decent with Wolf but am in no way and expert, neither in the knowledge nor gameplay department. I do, however, liberally apply the over taunt.

Bowser is a HAPPY dinosaur.

Midwest son. Mostly out of Cincinnati, but I intern all across the country. I am currently in Buffalo, NY, so I get around. Like your mom.

When I can, I attend smashfests, spreading seeds of knowledge like Johnny Appleseed spread his seeds across America, or how Thomas Jefferson spread his seed to his slaves via sexual relations. I do that. Furthermore, if you ask people who go to tournaments with me, they will tell you that regardless of how amazing and sexy I am, I do know a lot of INFORMATION, and help people with smartness and vidja game playing'.

Also, as previously mentioned, I have 2 guides, not to mention I record a lot of tournament videos and put them on the internet for people to watch with their eyes and their brains (optional).

www.youtube.com/sliq111

Despite the fact that I am mostly known for raging out on noobs (and being incredibly awesome in all facets of life) I do post "intelligently," in the sense that in between the "WAFFLES" and "PUMPKINS," I make a good argument. Plus I know a lot of KNOWLEDGE about the game. I can debate civilly, but usually opt to act a fool for my and others amusement on the grounds that the people I'm arguing are the people that argued that "roy has teh phire," and arguing with an idiot is asinine. However, making a dumb person angry, now THAT is entertaining.

When it comes to arguing with someone with an IQ measurable with numbers, I can throw up my dukes like no other, except maybe Muhammad Ali (pre-shakey mcshakes alot). I'm a fan of playing devil's advocate for the sake of getting to the core of the argument, eliminating the pussy footing and personal biases that come with GIGGLY debaters.

Well it seems that the current hot button issue is banning Metaknight, which I'm not going to get into now. It's probably all going to be ban related things, whether it is new glitches, stages, characters, etc.

I know the tier list is a "big" thing the back room does, and I know people will go FLUFFY over it, but I personally think that the tier list right now matters so little that talking about is secondary to, you know, IMPORTANT THINGS.

On a side note, some of these character specific boards needs moderators...like BADLY.

Well, I already linked to my guides, but for the sake of being thorough:

Ganon Guide:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164751

Bowser Guide:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=186215

Clanky Projectiles

Grabby Releasy

Turtle Dealings

Wrecking People with Sweet Logic

Breaking Metaknight

Me Being Cool

Countering

Delfino, Moar Liek Ganonfino, AMIRITE?

Well, I don't really read comic books, but I know from the Something Awful forums that Deadpool is amazingly funny and entertaining. If manga counts, I like Sanji because has has curleh eyebrows, lights his leg on fire, cooks, and kicks HIS JUICE. UNICORN does not HUG around. Also, the Silk Spectre from the Watchmen is cool, too.

EDITED because my naughty words make GOD cry.

Banks

Smash Hero

Banks

October 2005, Cataclysm 1

almost always 5th-9th depending on who attends. I got 7th at the last melee esticle, the last two mass madness, long live hitstun etc. i get 7th alot. In melee. In brawl, I am still learning/playing melee and have only entered a couple events and did averageish 13th/17th maybe >__>

I have helped Dazwa set up at maine tournaments, and generally help with maine tournament running although I haven't been the main person in charge yet. I do run smashfests at my house (6+ tv's) for all the maine/NH players in the area.

I use game&watch, meta knight, and wolf. I don't consider myself an expert player at this point, but I am in close contact with very good players fairly often, and could probably learn a ****load in a short period if I chose to just play brawl instead of melee.

Northeast. I was 9th on the New England melee power rankings, even though it hasn't been updated since before brawl. I know basically everyone good in this area, on a friendly personal level. some more than others but I pretty much am in contact with every smasher in the area to some degree.

I go to tournaments often, sometimes every weekend for a stretch if there are events going on, and play everyone there. Even the not-good people.

Educated opinions from someone who knows firsthand what the tournament scene is like and the rare view of a skilled melee player who at first hated brawls guts and is now delving into the possibility that it might be something to experiment with and learn. One of the main reasons I would like access to the back room is to read intelligent discussion without the mass of people posting who really don't know what they are talking about. :p

The banning of MK (lol), and just techniques that would make brawl a more competitive game in the skeptic's eyes. I still play melee a lot and would participate readily in any discussion of that in the back room. if that ever happens.....but as for brawl stuffs I'm interested in the future of smash in general and the direction the game will take on a competitive level.

there will be some if I get in. I don't like debating in brawl discussion and use the boards mostly for tournament planning / shoutouts. I used to give advice on the sheik boards to people with questions like this little gem
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=3434643#post3434643
and other stuff like that about different stuff I can't find right now.

favorite comic book character/superhero and why?

Wolverine because he's a BADASS

oh yea and I basically want a purple name. jk. but really.

Sand-Trap

Smash Journeyman
1.) Sand-Trap

2.) I've been attending tournaments since I played Melee around 2005-2006.

3.) Frustratingly, the majority of the Brawl tournaments have been 4th place finishes (mind you, these are 80+ tournies most of the time). I got 2nd as my best placing in Brawl, have won a Melee tournament as well as gotten 1st/2nd in teams a few times as well.

4.) Haven't hosted any tournaments myself, but on three separate occasions I've had to volunteer myself to help run the tournament (including a couple Hobo tournies) or else it would have taken much longer, and that just sucks for everyone involved, obv.

5.) For Brawl tournaments I use Metaknight, Lucario, and Falco. I consider myself an expert with these three characters, although I can play at a competitive level with other characters such as Shiek, Peach, and Snake.

6.) Texas

7.) I've talked about strategy in the Lucario forums mainly, but sometimes it feels that some people are just ignorant. I talk about a lot of strategy with the best players in my area because with them there's actually an intelligent conversation that results in actual progress. Stuff like, what's the best way to deal with the dashing shield approach, or talking about the value of just waiting for the spot dodge you know is coming when your immediate instincts tell you to attack anyways, mindgaming the opponent and the different ways to do so such as punishing the spot dodge via a charged smash as opposed to a normal one, etc. If I was admitted into the back room, I assume that I'd be able to talk on an intelligent level with the rest of the players here as well.

8.) I hope to be able to have a discussion with others and come to an agreement that makes the most sense on different issues and stimulating different topics of conversation that might otherwise go unheard. I don't want to join because, "omg, I'm so cool, look at me in the back room, wheee!" or some **** like that. If I can help to make good changes to the tournament scene, which directly affects myself, then obv I'll help in any way that I can.

9.) An important issue to discuss right now is obv whether MK should be banned (I'll be at the Hobo tournament where MK will be banned, so I can see how things go first-hand. My main is MK and I personally would like to see him banned.) Other issues include stage selection, the use of game-altering devices for tournament play, tier discussion, and getting Brawl players more interested in traveling to other events to recreate an almost MLG-like feel to the tournament scene.

10.) Lucario Stage Discussion: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=172061

Here's a video to hopefully show that I'm not a noob. Shows mindgames, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CrHZnqbBdc

Note: I didn't get to go to Hobo 11 with Azen and Mew2King (so please don't think I didn't make it out of pools, lol), but I sure would love to experience and analyze the pros/cons of what they do differently that I don't and improve my game. For example, I got to play KDJ at MLG Dallas and although I only got him down to one stock, just playing against someone at the top of the game helped my own game.

EDIT: Forgot the bonus question! Back in the day I used to read Marvel and DC comics. My favorite was Venom. He looked badass and I loved to see him fight against Spider-Man. Some of the artwork for Venom was simply amazing.

Gea

Smash Master
1. Gea

2. Early 2005.

3. Depends on the seed. Usually around 12th - 17th.

4. I've helped at a few HOBOs and SCC. As for running something largescale myself? No.

5. I use Peach primarily for tournaments, and lately have picked up Wario to help against Snake. While I grasp nearly every character's basic metagame and options, I feel most comfortable discussing Peach, Luigi, Wario, Jiggs, Lucario, Kirby, and Marth. To a lesser extent Meta, Snake, DDD, GW, and Falco, but that's just because of over-exposure to their metagames, hah.

6. Specifically, Houston, Texas. Texas is a large place.

7. A few times a week I play with some good players (one of which, Gnes, has placed 5th in two HOBOs, and Roy R has won a few). Usually this is 4-5 people within the local community. I go to local fests and try to make every tournament I can. I offer to help set up and run tournaments to the best of my ability, as well as give people rides and generally just try to make sure everyone has as much fun as I do.

I'm also active in our region's thread (Houston thread) and debate on things such as ruleset. On a more global scale I definitely participate in the character discussions as well.

8. I expect to give a fresh perspective to the SBR from the viewpoint of Houston. Beyond that, I would care to think that I understand the metagame and the importance of details. I definitely understand the need for care and deliberation over things such as stages and bans.

I would say I'd also like to think I am well spoken and thought out, but all of SBR is from what I can tell, so that would not make me unique.

9. Right now I think there are three important issues. Most importantly I think that the ruleset needs to be finalized. This includes stages and any bans on infinites. The country is again divided into microchasms. With MLG possibly running a circuit, rules definitely need to be layed out and picked up.

Second, the SBR definitely needs to quell the current debate over Metaknight.

Last, the metagame is advancing in a very rapid rate right now. I do think that the tier list could be refined some, but I understand that coming to a consensus is another matter. This is probably bottom priority, and it should be.

10. http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5122630&postcount=7238
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5115853&postcount=7164
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5277034&postcount=478
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5277895&postcount=481
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=2624261&postcount=1

EDIT BONUS QUESTION!: Sweet. My favorite comic book character by far is Rorschach from the Watchmen. Awesome trench, interesting design and backstory... and true to his principles throughout his life. Definitely a badass.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Cronos_Rainbow - Shaz

2002 - present

Varies - placing has never really been a concern of mine.

I run the monthly event here in Vic. Aus. alongside Coatic. Attendance varies though 30 people or more are usually expected to enter.
Otherwise I've been a large part in the SEAT series of nationals here in Aus., running SEAT3 on my own, and teamed with Caotic to run @M prior to that.

Ike, Robot.

South East Australia.

The better question would be how do I not.

Great Justice! and heavy out-of-the-square thinking.

Obviously the maintenance of a fair competitive outline. In my opinion one that offers as much diversity and range as possible rather than MK dittos on FD.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=95746&page=295
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=95746&page=296
(I don't post much elsewhere :\)

US: Spiderman - clever + agile + strong = winning formula.
Japanese: too many don't make me choose :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom