• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible Tourney In Western Mass

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
EDIT: ON THE OFF CHANCE SOMEONE STUMBLES ONTO THIS THREAD THE TOURNEY POST IS UP IN THE TOURNAMENT LISTINGS FORUMN. THIS CAN BE KILLED NOW.

Would there be any interest in a potential tournament in Western Mass? I know the scene out here is kinda small. But I am thinking about looking for a venue where I live(Ludlow Ma, Exit 7 off the Mass Pike). I wanted to gauge interest from the community to see if it'd be a good or bad idea, since I don't want to lose a bunch of money getting the venue and having no one show up.

As it stands I know about 10+(Maybe 15+) casual players and friends that would, at the very least, give the first one a chance and play. So that means if people travel there'll actually be a decent bit of unknowns in the tourney. So hopefully that's money in the pot to make it more enticing. And between them I have around 5+ set ups, if all goes well. Obviously I'd need a few more set ups and such from the community but I'm not too worried about that.

Would people have any interest in this?

Also, before the question is asked, this will be a Brawl Tourney. At least the first one. But let me know if you'd travel out here for Melee as well(Roman and Spife I'm assuming will for sure.) As, if this goes well and I can continue doing tourneys I plan to alternate between Brawl and Melee.

The big plus about this is, also, since I'm helping MattDotZeb run Mass Madness now, I'll know the dates for that and will, hopefully, be able to get Mass having tourneys on a biweekly basis. And Both Brawl and Melee will be played continously in the community. Which, imo, is what we should be doing anyway.

(I do not want a Brawl vs Melee debate. I really don't. Everyone is welcome. Friendlies for the opposite game is fine, but bring a set up for it. I have a few commited set ups that'll be tourney only but as long as we can fit it and still run the tourney I want both games there. We're all Smashers after all. Hell my Wii has Smash 64 on it for those that wanna play that too.)

So, would you guys have any interest in traveling out here? I'm gunna start looking for a venue in the coming weeks and figure out the fees I'd have to charge. Let me know.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
i'm all about it.

you should just continue the Memphis Isn't Cool tournament series, because you ended up kinda sorta running the first one.

just make sure to call the next one MIC: Dawn of Steak

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
If I continue the series the second it's still being called "Memphis Isn' Touching The Bracket"

And Kevin, running both is a big task. The main reason I want to do each game seperatly is because of the last Mass Madness. Brawl Doubles get's ignored and people like you and Skler got kinga screwed on singles for Melee. I don't know if I'd have set ups.

But Melee won't get ignored if it's a series, that's a promise.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
you should just definantly continue the memphis tournament circuit.

and i will do EVERYTHING in my power to go.
i miss you guys.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
So I can assume Fayt will be coming with you. That's good.

Long as enough people post in here that I don't have to worry about meeting/or coming close to rental fee I'm not worried. Just gotta find the place now. Gunna do some research for venue on my days off next week. (Since I'm super busy today and than back to work for 4 days.)

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
I'll make them go, And if they say no... I will do the unthinkable and drive myself!
I dunno about chii (girl) but I'll ask everyone and get back to you. Seems more than likely though!

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
::Shrug::

I mention her mainly because the more the better.

I don't want to try and do this, rent a place and than get screwed when no one shows and I end up losing a ton of money, ya know.

And seriously, I totally wanna get this **** going. Ma has severe lack of tourney's, brawl or melee and we're lagging behind the other regions. We can't expect the Mages to make us look good against ALL of MD/VA after all.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Just don't want to stretch too few set ups too thin and have people get stuck dropping outof Melee singles like the last Mass Madness, y'know.

Maybe I could do a small side tourney of Melee. Low Tier or something. I don't know. Nothing is set in stone, but at least I know I can count on you for the Melee Tourney's that'll be held. Right Kevin?

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
The venue search begins Wednesday. Wish me luck, and I swear, the mental list of likely attendees better grow a bit so I don't think I'm gunna lose money.

BubbleTea

Smash Apprentice
oh and if you really are that scared of losing money or what not, you could always host it in my gigantic basement...since I never got around to organizing one for november >_<!!!!

Good luck though finding one! I'm excited about it!!!

bschung

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2981-6884-5065
So, how's the venue search going? Any chance of something happening the weekend of Nov. 7-9?

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
^ Which means everyone should show uber support and go to each and everyone one no matter what! I would go to both...

Spife

Smash Master
I support what ever this is because the text preceeding the LiNK said something about MA and tournaments. I regret not reading the thread though to find out what it's about...

Deoxys

Smash Lord
I'll make them go, And if they say no... I will do the unthinkable and drive myself!
I dunno about chii (girl) but I'll ask everyone and get back to you. Seems more than likely though!
Lol, bring all the girls you can! :bee:

But seriously, any ideas what the rules will be? I'd love to go, but certain rulesets are so ******** I'd rather not... Can you use stage striking, PLEASE!?

Also, I NEED to know about the date like around two weeks in advance so I can ask for it off from my job. So PLEASE tell me ASAP once the date is determined!

I'll give rides to anyone in the Boston area or between there and the tournament location, provided you split gas/are cool.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
I was definatly considering the Neutral Striking thing. It seems like a good idea.

Rule set will be fairly typical though, so no need to worry. And I'll do my best to have a thread up early enough. Finally hitting my days off so I can continue collecting numbers to call.

-Nana-

Smash Journeyman
I will definately consider it. I need to see how far it is and a date.

OBM!! The turnout for NFB4 wasn't bad at all the singles bracket was 30, we're getting there. :0)

Kool Aid

Smash Journeyman
ill probaly take the train or something think u can pick/drop me off?

Skler

Smash Master
I am expressing interest in this tournament. Depends on what the turnout looks like though, and by turnout I mean KevinM.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Aw, thanks Skler. KevinM better **** well going, being a lowly Brawl Player means I never get to see his amazingness.

And this is happening. I'm just having trouble getting around to calling the places for a venue info. I'm looking at Janurary for the first one(Brawl) and February for the second(Melee). I figure holding the first during Winter Break is a good idea for all the college kids and all and can only help get attendance for the first Super Mass Bros(name courtesy of Dazwa).

Does that sound good to those of you that are actually checking this still(which is a pleasent surprise to me.

Spife

Smash Master
Yes, and I'll see about doing something melee related during that college break too (not to compete, just because I love melee).
I just like having wet-daydreams about bi-weeklies that alternate.

Top Bottom