• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stun Jacket: NEW (first) Marth AT! (Also works with Ike)

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Alright, I've done quite a bit of experimenting with this, but I'm actually not finished, however, I wanted to get this out to the public with video yesterday, and that failed to happen. I have no vid, but I guess I'll share what I know so far.

(Note: as I'm a Marth player, I'm primarily talking about this AT from Marth's perspective. However, every time I say the name "Marth" you may interpret it as "Marth and/or Ike" since this AT works with both of them the same.)

This is confusing, so read carefully. I'll try to have demonstration vids up soon.

Have you ever noticed that when Marth counters an attack, even though the attack might have been really powerful, the counter sends them a little less far than you might have anticipated if the opponent got hit with their own attack? Well, I've discovered the reason why. It's not because counter is weaker, and it's not because the opponent is heavier than expected. It's because of, what I call, the Stun Jacket.

Part one: Counter and the Stun Jacket
When Marth successfully activates counter, his opponent acquires a special property which causes the next hit to deal additional hitstun and delayed knockback. Since the countering of the attack IS the next hit, this causes the opponent to go no where for a little while, as Marth dramatically and eloquently deflects the attack upon the opponent.
If an attack hits Marth, but the counter does not connect, the Stun Jacket disappears with no consequence. The Stun Jacket is equipped to the person who Marth counters, NOT to Marth.

Part two: The Initiating the Advanced Technique, Equipping the Stun Jacket
What I seem to have discovered is that if Marth counters a hitbox that is not part of a character's model/sprite/picture (IE: not an extension of their hurtbox, and not a normally visable or apparent weapon), then the Stun Jacket will remain equipped to the opponent. So far, I've confirmed this to work with:
The swirling tornado of MK's Mach Tornado
Falco's deflector
ALL WINDBOXES (Including Ness' Absorb, Pit's Wings of Icarus, Ganon's Utilt, D3's inhale, Kirby's Inhale, G&W's UpB)
It could possibly work with many more attacks, but I was unable to miss the attack of counter after successfully countering other attacks of this sort. I'm not finished testing though. It definitely works with all Windboxes though, although I could not get Toon Link's Dair to have the counter miss on the Landing Windboxes.
Countering a projectile attack will not give your opponent the jacket!

Part Three: What the Stun Jacket does
As previously mentioned, the Stun Jacket gets equipped to the target player whose attack was countered. From then on, if this player hits ANY other player, it will activate consume the Jacket on the first hit. Furthermore, if this player gets hit by any other player, it will activate and consume the Jacket on the first hit. When the Jacket is activated, the person who gets hit receives INCREASED HITSTUN and DELAYED (not decresed) KNOCKBACK. This is important, because it grants the victim more time to DI, which makes it appear like some attacks have decreased knockback.

Part Four: Important notes
While a character is wearing the jacket, they will get the effects of the jacket when they get hit, or will use the effects of the jacket when they hit someone else. Since it's probably best not to waste the jacket on hitting someone else, to keep the increased DI for yourself, I found a few loopholes.
A) The jacket completely ignores projectile attacks that the wearer of the jacket uses. This means if I were King DeDeDe or Pit wearing the Jacket (or anyone else with a projectile), I could spam away, and still retain the jacket.
B) Grabbing and throwing also don't consume the jacket. This means that DeDeDe wearing the Jacket will retain his ability to use his marvelous grab game, AND EVEN can still use inhale! However, if you pummel your opponent while holding them from a grab, this will result in the jacket being activated and consumed (lol)
Also, remember that the stun jacket is attached to the person who was countered. If D3 equips the jacket, I can fight as much as I want with other characters, and it will not affect D3's jacket.

Part Five: Practical Application
From what I've seen, this technique is most important in DOUBLES play. Say for instance Marth and King DeDeDe are on a team. It is very easy for Marth to counter inhale, without actually hitting King DeDeDe. This will put the jacket on D3. From there, he basically is wearing a special type of Armor that gives him more DI, and can proceed to camp and grab to his heart's content. Considering he was ALREADY hard to kill, a few frames of bonus DI is VERY useful, especially considering that with Marth's aid, he can reequip the jacket as many times as they want.
In singles, the most useful thing I've found for this is that it gives not only regular hitstun but also SHIELD hitstun. This means that some moves will become safe on block if spaced well, such as Marth's ftilt, so long as your opponent is wearing the Stun Jacket.

Part six: Water and Windboxes (You can skip this part, as it has little to do with the actual AT, or this topic at all. The most important thing to note is that the AT works with all Wind boxes, but doesn't seem to work with any Waterboxes.)
These are the terms I use to describe special hitboxes that have special properties.
Wind hitboxes, or Windboxes push a character, and are nearly invisible most of the time, though usually there is some visual of them in some form. They are used to provide suction and pushing affects. Common windboxes are D3's inhale, and Latios & Latias. They deal no damage, but still count as hitboxes.
Waterboxes are very similar, but last longer (generally) and have a much clearer visible animation. Common Waterboxes are Mario's FLUDD, Squirtle's Water Gun, and Kyogre. This AT works with all windboxes, but not waterboxes. Wind and Waterboxes are unexplored in this game, and many things are unknown about them. We need to find out more about the priority of these hitbox types, and how they interact with each other. Pit's have begun this a while ago by canceling out projectiles by Wing Dashing, but that's merely the surface. Has anyone ever tested what happens if D3 tries to inhale a person getting sucked toward Ganon who initiated Utilt? I plan to.

Part seven: Fun facts and additional observations
Ike can do it too.
This works even if one or both characters are invincible.
If a person is launched into and collides with a person wearing a Stun Jacket, it will activate.
For some characters, it's MUCH easier (or only possible) to put the Stun Jacket on in the air, since you'll be able to fall out of the way of counter.
Neither Marth nor Ike has a Windbox of their own, so they cannot ever wear the jacket themselves. Disproved. Countering Aether without hitting Ike triggers it.
Game & Watch's Uair does NOT have a Windbox. It seems to generate the environmental effect of Summit or PS2 wind arena.
If King D3 is not moving, and he inhales someone, while in his belly, they can push backwards or forwards, to make D3 move. Repeatedly tapping the direction quickly is most effective. You can push down to make him fall through a platform, or up to make him bounce clumsily. I believe this will be most effective in teams because you can push backwards to make D3 move backwards as an opponent attempts to Fsmash him and you, and make them miss hilariously. Then D3 can fire you at your opponents.
You can also break out of the star you're 'in' when he fires you, to adjust the distance of how far you get fired. This allows for good surprise attacks, especially right after applying a jacket. This probably also applies to Kirby, and the movement sections also seem to apply to Diddy's sideB grab (I think)

Part Eight: Things I still need to test
What are the moves this works with? I've confirmed it to work with all windboxes, so at first I thought "Mach Tornado must have Windboxes," but that was deconfirmed when I discovered that it also works with Falco's downB. I've also confirmed it to work with Ike's Aether, and G&W's Fire (both character's UpBs)
How do WindBoxes and WaterBoxes react with the rest of the hitboxes in the game?
What happens if I counter a move to give a character the jacket, and correctly miss that character, but hit another character (I'll check this out tomorrow hopefully.)

Any questions? I've done a lot of testing, so I can probably answer most of them.

Special thanks goes out to my crew mate Bschung, for helping me test this, and helping me discover it in the first place, which I realized that the same glitch that this was the same glitch we already knew about with Mach Tornado, except now it was working with D3's inhale, as we were practicing.
Special thanks goes out to Umbra, for pointing out that it could be Windboxes that had the effect, and helping me do additional testing to discover that this works with all Windboxes.
Special thanks to my cousin, for using Falco against me, and when I countered his deflector, I was able to instantly recognize the glitch for what it was, since I had been testing it so extensively. This disproved my theory that it worked exclusively with Windboxes, and gave birth to my new theory, about how it works with hitboxes that are not part of the character sprite.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Additional information:

I did some testing. It does seem that throwing actually does consume the jacket if there is a secondary hit.

I just tested it with DDD's D-throw, and since he actually hits the opponent during the throw, you clearly see the jacket being consumed. To further apply this, when I jabbed with Ike, the extra hitstun did not apply. I also tested this by grabbing another character, not grabbing Ike. Same rule applies.

The jacket however, does stay if it is just a throw with no additional hits.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
If this is legit. Remind me to add an entry for it in the AT compendium in the Tactical discussion boards.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Trust me, it's very legit. I've done loads of testing on it, and have replays if you'd like me to send you vids. Or you can test it yourself. It's easiest to see with Marth's jab, and mult-hitboxes. Counter D3's inhale, but miss D3. He'll have on the jacket. Then jab D3. The stun should be noticable. Put on the jacket again. Dancing Blade D3 while he's DIing Up and Away. He should be able to escape the last hit, which previously couldn't be done. Lastly, have him use his Uair or Dair on Marth. You'll clearly see the move interrupted by the Stun Jacket, and you can DI out MUCH easier.

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
So quick questions. Marth vs Zelda.
Zelda does Din's Fire, Marth Counters, Zelda now has a Stun Jacket(Right?)
Next Marth delivers a tipped FSmash, Zelda suffers the godly hitstun from the Tip AND suffers delayed Hitstun from the jacket to right?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
So quick questions. Marth vs Zelda.
Zelda does Din's Fire, Marth Counters, Zelda now has a Stun Jacket(Right?)
Next Marth delivers a tipped FSmash, Zelda suffers the godly hitstun from the Tip AND suffers delayed knockback? from the jacket to right?
No. Din's fire is a projectile attack. As far as I can tell, you cannot acquire the jacket through the use of a projectile. I updated the OP to say this.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
wait, why isn't this like, the best singles tactic ever? It gives you increased hitstun next hit right? So if i counter a Dedede's inhale, that dedede gets the jacket, can't i pull of a crazy combo like dtilt to fsmash, or uptilt to upsmash, or.... other ideas i can't come up with because i'm not actually a marth main? At the least, it should let you do a jab->tilt that you couldn't do before.

Edit: you skipped a windbox for testing that ought to be very easy to test: Sheik's Vanish. The appearance creates windboxes (the disappearance makes hitboxes)

Edit edit: you know, Falco's down B might have windboxes. I've seen it do weird stuff.

nash123

Smash Journeyman
Just tested this, it is pretty cool but will most likely not be all that useful.Really noticable when you jab.But something may come up, who knows.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
wait, why isn't this like, the best singles tactic ever? It gives you increased hitstun next hit right? So if i counter a Dedede's inhale, that dedede gets the jacket, can't i pull of a crazy combo like dtilt to fsmash, or uptilt to upsmash, or.... other ideas i can't come up with because i'm not actually a marth main? At the least, it should let you do a jab->tilt that you couldn't do before.

Edit: you skipped a windbox for testing that ought to be very easy to test: Sheik's Vanish. The appearance creates windboxes (the disappearance makes hitboxes)
It isn't because in addition to hitstun, it also lets the opponent DI the hell away from your moves. As well, it's hard to get a chance to do and it puts you in a position to get punished for Countering.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Ike can wear the stun jacket because his Fair Ftilt and Fsmash out range counter. Same if you time aether right? don't know if that one counts as a projectile or not.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439

Edit edit: you know, Falco's down B might have windboxes. I've seen it do weird stuff.
D3 can DI, but you may be able to catch him off-guard with stuff you normally wouldn't connect, true.

I did test with Shiek's UpB, but there is no jacket from the explosion of vanish, and it's impossible for me to counter the wind of reappearance without hitting Sheik.

I don't believe Falco's downB has windboxes, but hey, this game is weird. It might, but I don't think so.

Ike can wear the stun jacket because his Fair Ftilt and Fsmash out range counter. Same if you time aether right? don't know if that one counts as a projectile or not.
Not to my knowledge, no. Ike's sword is part of his character sprite (is always visable) and I don't believe it works with this technique. Maybe the flames from Eruption might work though.

If you're not sure if something counts as a projectile, just see if it will hit Fox while he's holding his deflector.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I did some testing. It does seem that throwing actually does consume the jacket if there is a secondary hit.

I just tested it with DDD's D-throw, and since he actually hits the opponent during the throw, you clearly see the jacket being consumed. To further apply this, when I jabbed with Ike, the extra hitstun did not apply. I also tested this by grabbing another character, not grabbing Ike. Same rule applies.

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
This won't be seeing a lot of play in 1v1 but it's a really good find. Next time you counter and you miss, just remember that 1 jab=a DSmash :)

∫unk

Smash Master
It does, like 1...
Actually there's a few but none of them are fun to use.... really should have left a true dashdance in for mindgames and spacing and possible throw chains...

On a side note glide-tossing makes me believe Sakurai wanted us to play with items competitively but what do I know (if you're super cynical you'd say he didn't want us to play competitively at all but he's not stupid he knows there was going to be a competitive crowd regardless).

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Actually there's a few but none of them are fun to use.... really should have left a true dashdance in for mindgames and spacing and possible throw chains...

On a side note glide-tossing makes me believe Sakurai wanted us to play with items competitively but what do I know (if you're super cynical you'd say he didn't want us to play competitively at all but he's not stupid he knows there was going to be a competitive crowd regardless).
I would say yes, especially considering he viewed melee as a mistake. And boost smashing is fun to use. I know theres a few but without melees depth with wavedashing, l canceling and all that, its not as fun.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439

Good find. I'll update the information

Pierce, you didn't finish the last sentence of part 4, lol.

Just throwing that out there.
lol, I went to make an edit and got distracted. It's fixed now.

This is interesting, I wonder if it works with lucario.
Don't ask how I missed this (probably just overlooked it because it's not in question form.

No. Lucario doesn't have Counter. Double Team follows a different mechanic than counter entirely.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Ike can out range Marth's counter with usmash (backside or Marth is aerial), ftilt, fsmash, fair. That works now doesn't it?

I see less practically with Ike since his range is much more longer...

but hmm, if you get the hit in how many frames is the person stunned? It'll help realize which attacks can be used to attack while the person is in the chain jacket stun.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Ok, so all you have to do to equip a jacket to someone is activate counter with a move that doesnt involve your character sprites (their body) and so long as the counter whiffs you get a jacket eh? Nice, very nice pierce.

MysticKenji

Smash Master
Offtopic: I've had one waterbox of FLUDD clank with my marth's tipper fair. That part of FLUDD and Marth froze in mid-air while the rest of FLUDD kept going iirc.

Ontopic: Nice, especially the find on G&W uair.

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
Nice find does this allow for some combos?
As Pierce said earlier, this doesn't exactly make comboes. Becuz of the increased hitstun or delayed knockback.. w/e, they can DI better. This truly is a defensive tech.. But mayb..

Speaking of defensive, this would make escaping multi hit moves alot easier. Zelda Usmash and Fsmash, Nair too mayb?, Kirbys Fair? And a gizzilion other moves ? Correct me if Im wrong..

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Ima help you out man, this caught my interest highly. Ill test all sorts of moves with this when I get home.

Now to effectively use this in singles constantly...

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Ike can out range Marth's counter with usmash (backside or Marth is aerial), ftilt, fsmash, fair. That works now doesn't it?

I see less practically with Ike since his range is much more longer...

but hmm, if you get the hit in how many frames is the person stunned? It'll help realize which attacks can be used to attack while the person is in the chain jacket stun.
All of Ike's moves use his sword, or his body. He cannot equip the jacket, unless Eruption works. I haven't tested it.

I think this will certainly influence teams in doubles, thank you for discovering this.
My pleasure. You're quite welcome.

With the jacket equipped, does that mean free jab -> Fsmash/Stutter Step Fsmash?
I have no idea what combos can come out of this, if any. I believe it's very difficult to follow up since I THINK both characters are also frozen for a brief period of time. The usefulness is in DI, not in comboing.

Ok, so all you have to do to equip a jacket to someone is activate counter with a move that doesnt involve your character sprites (their body) and so long as the counter whiffs you get a jacket eh? Nice, very nice pierce.
So far as I can tell. This is the best I can come up with, since my windbox theory is disproven. It is the only similarity I could find between MK's tornado, Falco's deflector, and Windboxes. They are all hitboxes that are not attached to the character at all. That is probably the best way to put it. It doesn't work with Pikman attacks though. Even if I were to counter a pikman and jacket it, the counter would surely hit the pikman without fail.

Offtopic: I've had one waterbox of FLUDD clank with my marth's tipper fair. That part of FLUDD and Marth froze in mid-air while the rest of FLUDD kept going iirc.

Ontopic: Nice, especially the find on G&W uair.
Thank you, and this is the expected result. I believe the jacket also applies to other hitboxes as well, it's just that hitboxes have a much shorter lifespan, lol.

Nice find does this allow for some combos?
Not true ones, as far as I can tell, but it's good for set ups and mindgames.

As Pierce said earlier, this doesn't exactly make comboes. Becuz of the increased hitstun or delayed knockback.. w/e, they can DI better. This truly is a defensive tech.. But mayb..

Speaking of defensive, this would make escaping multi hit moves alot easier. Zelda Usmash and Fsmash, Nair too mayb?, Kirbys Fair? And a gizzilion other moves ? Correct me if Im wrong..
Very true. I think it's best viewable with Pit's Nair. Perhaps I'll send the Pit demonstration replay I have for myself to a friend for upload today.

Ima help you out man, this caught my interest highly. Ill test all sorts of moves with this when I get home.

Now to effectively use this in singles constantly...
Unlikely. Putting the jacket on your opponent in singles is impossible to do consistantly.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Not true ones, as far as I can tell, but it's good for set ups and mindgames.
What's funny is it'll probably set up for much better mind games in single player matches only if they know about this. If they know about this, you're going to have a hard time setting it up.

Yay paradox.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Wow, good find pierce. This is interesting, I'm gonna go ahead and test this. Also I have a question:

Do Link and Toon Link's boomerangs act differently since they return the character? More specificly Links, the gale effect may cause some interesting results...

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I did not test the windbox of the Gale Boomerang while it is returning. If you do, please share your results here.

Toon Link's boomerang is an ordinary physical projectile, so it is not likely to be able to equip a jacket.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
OK, guys, this only works if the attack isn't part of the charcter sprite, like Ike's sword doesn't work, even though some of his attacks outrange counter. yes cman, Reflector works, but Zairs don't.

Top Bottom