• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official G&W Stage Discussion #3: Smashville.

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
Battlefield and smashville are very similar stages, not including the platforms on either stage. The fact that there's only one platform and that it's not staying in one spot leads to less possibilities of dthrow-dsmash, uair, and nair through the platform. I would give this stage a 7/10 for him.

K 2

Smash Lord
I personally LOVE this stage. One of my favorite stages if not my most favorite stage. It's flat, so there's no obstructions, but its not as a big as FD, so its harder/riskier for campers to projectile spam. This stage is fairly neutral for G&W. There's no lip to get stuck under either. G&W can do his usual platform tricks, but not as effectively as he could on BF. Nothing special here.

I might add more later.

DonQuixote

Smash Apprentice
I love playing here. I really like the moving platform because it gives G&W a slight advantage with his fair and smashs if you are on the platform near the edge of the screen its very easy to get a quick kill. Wow i just reread that and i have really bad grammer lol.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I'm not quite sure why you are picking the most boring stages first; I was at least expecting Delfino and was all excited about Luigi's after that.

Anyway, Smashville is pretty cool among neutrals though it doesn't really compete with your counterpick options. That moving platform is easy to pressure with nairs, and you can use it as a springboard of sorts to chase opponents up into the air. Also, moving platforms in general and Chef work well together; you can use Chef to pressure an opponent on an approaching moving platform, and you can throw out a few pieces of food while riding it to make some interesting pressure. It's the only neutral I actually use Chef on, and I play on a liberal neutral list. The other funny thing about the moving platform is that brawl does have a universal reference frame (contrary to real world physics) so most chaingrabs and grab followups don't work on it, but Mr. Game & Watch's only real direct grab followup (the down throw stuff) works fine on it due to the way it plants them on the ground, and of course on platforms of that size and smaller, the down throw is that much better anyway.

The size of the stage also seems just right for Mr. Game & Watch to move around and execute his preferred style of aerial pressure, and the balloon lets you use uair for stale move refresh that much more efficiently (few other characters will find it so frequently convenient to pop the balloon). The only real complaint I have with the stage is minor; it's the easiest stage for Meta Knight, Pit, R.O.B., and a few others to move underneath evasively. In some matchups that complicates over the edge pressure, but most of the characters who can threaten that are guys you weren't going to keep off anyway. In general though, as a stage that doesn't tend to hand out favors, Smashville is a stage that aligns the basic elements in a Mr. Game & Watch friendly way.

In a conservative neutral stage list setting, Smashville would probably be a stage I'd go for frequently as I feel it is Mr. Game & Watch's best attempt out of the "boring 5". With more liberal lists, the Halberd and Delfino would take priority, but Smashville would still be a stage to go for as the strike-out wore down. As a counterpick it's just not worth it though; in pretty much any matchup, you can probably find something better even as you have to duck around stage bans. That leads me to rank the stage at a 6/10. It's a good stage to have around, and you'd be a fool to ever try to avoid it. However, it really isn't particularly exceptional or anything, and if you have a shot at greener pastures, you shouldn't cling to Smashville.

For those wondering why I have given such low rankings, I'm trying to actually be 5 normalized, not 7 normalized. That is, don't read my scores like a grade on a test where 7 is a C and 5 is an F. Read it more like 5 is the real middle point. I wouldn't say "average" since I'll inevitably call more stages good than bad for Mr. Game & Watch (it's not my fault he's so good), but I'm trying to actually make 5 "normal".

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I do love Amazing Ampharos' posts; I myself was going to interject myself into the stage discussion and use a 5 as the average G&W stage, but he beat me to it! I will add myself into the discussion at some points, I expect, but these neutrals are pretty straight forward. (Also, thanks AA for your rating of BF, I wanted to throw myself in that one and point out the obvious that it isnt his best neutral since his hardest matchups like this stage more, but you saved me the trouble there as well)

The only thing I can add to this is that I've managed to Dthrow Spike on the moving platform by grabbing them during their recovery. A near impossible move to pull in most situations, but if you find yourself in the right position, a Dthrow can send them downtown.

Eh, waiting for fun stages like Delfino, Brinstar, and the like!

K 2

Smash Lord
I was planning to do the neutral stages first, since they are the most commonly played on, but I can do any stage you want. I'll try to mix it up to make it more interesting from now on. Do you have any stage you want to discuss in particular?

About the rankings/ratings, I consider a "5" a stage that has no advantage or disadvantage for G&W. Its a stage thats fairly neutral against most characters.

ThankGodItsT???

Smash Rookie
This is personaly my favorite stage for G&W because of its size and the moving platform can be used to his advantage. 9/10

Top Bottom