• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
Towards the end. I think it was Panda. But I don't know why. I was playing smash and I heard him say Tenki's name.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Gah we need 15 doofus. Will double post. How does no one grasp that 15 is technically 0 and 16 is a new page?

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
100% Credit goes to Camalange for writting this.

Introduction

Although the former Robotic Operating Buddy is made up of plastic, never saves any princesses, or can break the sound barrier, he makes his debut in the Smash series as a Nintendo AllStar with Brawl’s release. ROB, who was once a mere toy, now makes a very impressive mark on Brawl with his advanced camping style, great recovery, and long ranged, fast attacks overall. He can be quite a pest and seem like a brick wall at first, but once you understand and learn how to punish his biggest weaknesses, the match up becomes much easier and is certainly winnable.

Behaviour:

-ROB is a very campy character, so he’ll generally stay on one part of the stage, keeping you at bay with lasers and gyros. He should very rarely approach Sonic in this match up.

-ROBs recovery works on a fuel system. When he runs out of fuel, he careens downwards to his death…however he has quite a lot of fuel. He can also do aerials while still flying. Most ROBs will recover high and try to bait you offstage, then just punish with Fair/Nair. Sometimes even launch gyros or shoot lasers from a distance. Anything to insure a safe landing spot.

-ROB has a great projectile game, but his close combat isn’t to be laughed at either. Dsmash is a ridiculously fast punisher and will be used practically after every spotdodge. His tilts come out quick and have good range, so be wary. Utilt is great for juggling, and Dtilt/Ftilt are good for keeping space. Dtilt is fast, has low knockback, and a high trip ratio very good for starting up combos. Dtilt/Ftilt are very similar, and have very low cool down.

Commonly Used Moves:

Spotdodge/Dsmash – Almost always used after a spotdodge. It has a very fast start-up, hits multiple times and protects from all sides of his body (except for above) and has very little cool down. It’s more of a punisher, so it won’t be used to kill, it’ll be very stale. Make sure to shield all of the hits, and be wary if punishing OoS…remember, little cool down...don't try to beat them out.

-Lasers/Gyros – ROB doesn’t wait around and “charge” his lasers. He will pester you with the skinny beam and usually follow up with a Gyro. In addition, ROB has a nice glidetoss, so if you see one coming, make sure to shield the gyro, and hold shield to avoid any kind of “glide toss follow up”. (Keep in mind Sonic has a great glide toss too. Use this to your advantage. It’s very important to know how to control gyros) Dash attack picks up gyros (but not bananas lol) but make sure not to try and pick it up with a jab if it’s a “charged” gyro.

-Nair – Mainly used for punishing airdodges. It’s also used commonly if baiting you to approach from the air, then sneaking out a Nair. It starts up very slow, so try to beat it out early…but this move is very disjointed upon release, so don’t fall for the trap. It has huge range and multiple hits.

-Fair – Very high priority aerial, with good range. If ROB goes for a “Wall of Pain” DI AWAY FROM HIM. Trust me, don’t DI towards the stage…common sense, but it’s very easy to forget when you’re getting ZOMGRAPED.

-Bair – It’s similar to Sonic’s in the sense that it hits both behind, and in front of him. It can lead into, or end strange combos…very disjointed, but has pretty high start up lag.

How to Win:

Now, ROB seems to just be a down right prick, eh? Well, now’s the time to exploit the weaknesses!

UPAIR AND ASC!

Now…let me explain myself.

-Low Aerial Acceleration – ROB is very slow in the air. Sonic is very fast. Bam. ROB’s fastest aerials are Fair/Uair. Don’t try to beat out ROB from above him. If you’re coming from beneath ROB, Fair is avoidable too. Use one of your own rising Fairs.

-Large Hitbox – ROB is a very bulky character, and his head is one of his weakest points. It can only be protected with Fsmash or Lasers, which come out slow. ASC can **** ROB as a punishment move, you can even sometimes get a max 3 ASC hits.

-Put it all together and…? – ROB is slow in the air…and his all time biggest weakness is from below him. He can only protect himself with Dair and Nair, which both have very slow start up lag. Abuse the living hell out of this. When approaching ROB in the air, poke through with Fair. Fair is a great move in this matchup, but the biggest one is Uair. Even if ROB spaces Dair and gets the attack out, Sonic’s Uair, if properly spaced, will BEAT OUT ROB’S DAIR. Sonic will even look like he was hit and in the flames, but ROB’s Dair is one of his few not broken aerials. Sonic’s Uair will destroy ROB from beneath him.

Although you would think that Sonic would then **** ROB offstage if he trys to recover, you would be wrong. ROB can pretty much Fair/Lasor his way back and other stupid things, but here’s the thing. ROB is vulnerable above you ON stage, but is vulnerable below you OFF stage. Why is this? ROB has low aerial acceleration (REMEMBER) so if he’s trying to rise up to the stage, Sonic can use a falling Fair, Dair, or even go for Bair stage spikes and be moderately safe, and putting ROB in an uncomfortable place.

And most importantly...

-DON'T TRY AND BEAT OUT THE TILTS -ROB will **** you from up close. It is very important to stay out of tilt range, but be close enough to camp you. We'll call it the "dead zone" (*copyright of KID, lol) It is very important that Sonic knows how to weave in and out of this dead zone to apply pressure and keep ROB on his toes. Remember, try and get ROB in the air to fight him, and attack from below. Pressure, pressure, pressure!

Recommended Stages:

Battlefield – Rainbow Cruise

Matchup Summary:

This match will have a huge emphasis on how well you use aerials, and how strong your edgeguarding/gimping game is. Not only that, it will test your skills at weaving in and out of midrange. Sonic is one of the few characters that actually has a chance gimping ROB, and harassing offstage. ROB’s projectiles are still a pain in the ***, and his tilts will outrange/**** yours, so Sonic is still most definitley at a disadvantage. ROB is also much safer than Sonic in ALMOST every situation, so Sonic must put himself at risk in order to be successful…now that’s for you the player to get creative with. Remember...mid range is where you fight ROB onstage. Get him in the air.

60:40 ROB

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Don't worry Greens, as long as we can get the discussion going, you go on ahead live a life.

*Will add to R.O.B. another day.*

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
He is mate, but my template has a pic of GAW and I cant be bothered changing the template so I just change it after. Need someone to scooch over to the ROB boards and dandy over to the new thread button and inquire some operating buddies on this matchup. Also....the word ne'erdowelling needs to be mentioned or I wont feel dignified in my posting...
Let the Robotic Operating Buddy dicussion begin...

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
Probably the biggest thing to watch out from rob are his tilts. their range is incredible, and are very good for spacing. his dtilt is fast, low knockback, and a high trip ratio very good for comboing. that is all i can think of for now. if any sonic wants to play my rob be my guest.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I'll go ahead and drop the word.

Edit: Isn't R.O.B. #13? If yes, then you might want to fix that whenever possible.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Oh hey by the way I just noticed you put me in the credits/honorable mentions, you shouldn't have!

*blush*

I'll get to work on giving the R.O.B.oniers the word right now.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Flippin' Warning!

WARNING!!

If I ever see that amount of spam in my thread again, there will be so many reports, the mods won't be able to keep up. Don't sit there and try and push the page over until I get there. And even if the page needs to be pushed over, continue to discuss the character in question until I come online.

I do no want to see that kind of spamming again. If I see it again, I'll turn my OP into spam itself and get the darn thread closed. This is supposed to be a relatively serious thread, so let's keep it that way. That doesn't mean we can't have fun while discussing, but bumping excessively for the new page, when I am clearly offline, is stupid.

Although it was techinically harmless and wasn't getting in the way of discussion, I still don't wanna see it at all. For all we know someone mighta lurked onto here with some info and left because all he saw was a bunch of spammers bumping pages.

So.....be patient. I spend time in the real world on Sundays and I work 10 hours on Mondays.
So.....be patient.

K?

End Official Warning

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
We weren't necessarily bumping the thread as much as we were trying to reserve the next page for you...however some idiots (myself included) kept stealing it...and we thought we had covered most everything on Ness...

Sorry...*cowerd*.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Threads up and posted, now I guess we just have to wait for the R.O.B.s to come.

I really don't find R.O.B. a pain except with his projectile camping and aerials...R.O.B. also has a pain-in-the-butt Dsmash that is about as fast as MK's out of a spotdodge.

R.O.B. is going to have to be flatout killed, otherwise he is always coming back. At least when he is doing his recovery he can't airdodge out of it, and we all know how much of a predator Sonic is.

I don't like R.O.B.s range and "sec-kick" attributes to his attacks. His Nair for example attacks all around him, and has a burner effect to it. His Bair gives him a slight boost forward, so he can use that as a recovery. He doesn't even have to hit you at the first frames, if you happen to rush into him, you will get hit by his Bair...however don't get that confused as me saying that his whole body becomes a hitbox (thank god it doesn't). His Fair can be used as a WoP, although I'm sure Sonic can find ways to get around that with little effort. His Uair has a multi-hit, but maybe somebody will come here and say it can be SDIed out of. Finally his Dair is just a usual powerful spike, don't get hit by it and you'll be fine.

Now about his projectiles... I hate them...

His Gayblade BeyBlade Gyro can be charged, thrown multiple times, can lead into other things if R.O.B uses some kind of wierd shiz to get a Washdash like movement out of it, etc. It's a thrown item granted, however I find it ratehr hard to pick it up because if you try to get near it you will just take damage. Did I mention R.O.B. can release the Gyro out of its charge?

Finally this is what is gonig to force you to go on the offensive...

R.O.B.'s AH FIRIN' HIS LAZOH!! *BOOM*

With the Shoop-Da-Whoop out of the way, R.O.B. has a lazer that will charge itself. If I remember correctly somebody told me that after he's fired a lazer, that it takes about 7 seconds to recharge itself, and to become super-powerful lazer it only takes 20 seconds. That's right, he has a stronger lazer he can sue to push you back a distance. Don't take the weaker lazer for granted either, it can be annoying by stopping you in place. What's worse is when this is used in a manner when you use a double jump and R.O.B. times it right so where he siphons it, it has no knockback so mess up the timing and you will find yourself getting gimped.

His tilts go a long way, and are annoying. His Utilt can juggle into more utilts, I think both F/Dtilt have a high chance to trip with Dtilt having a betetr %age, and both can stop SD/C approaches. Finally he has a Great Dsmash that can be spammed and can still kill.

Yay, my post didn't get deletd this time!

Anyway I'm sure somebody out there will be able to further boost R.O.B.s moveset, or talk about what Sonic has in his favor for this matchup.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Behaviour: ROB has 2 good projectiles at his disposure. One charging every 5 seconds, becoming stronger over time, the other chargable like DK pauwnch. When ROB kills you, he's gonna load the Gyroscope. Rob is not easily gimped cause of his great recovery (i'll get back on this). Watch out for ROB's tilts. F-tilt and D-range have great range. As good as his F-tilt has range, his F-smash does not. It's range is pretty bad. Also D-smash is very lethal, it comes out too fast, so preferebly shield, not spotdodge/roll next to rob. His grabs aren't awfully good, they just might surprise you because of their speed (f-throw instantly to be followed-up).

Commonly Used Moves: N-air (to kill), F-air (great wall of pain), D-smash (punishing rolls/dodges), D-tilt/F-tilt (both nice range and speed, forces you away), Jab (is just as good as tilt), Lazur (if you play defensive).

How to Win:
However good ROB's recovery is, he has to problem of not being to airdodge/perform B-attacks. Just keep N-airing, using Homing attacks, B-air and other gimping methods. When he's firin his lazarr he has to wait 5 seconds. If he has a charged Gyroscope, run up to him and SDSC. If he doesn't have that, approach with anything you'd like. His spotdodge is good so just keep that in mind. Your grab game will be a good friend like it always will be. Also DONT GET HIT BY N-AIR. If he doesn't use that before killing, it's very strong, it can kill at 100% IIRC.

Recommended Stages: Platforms will do you good. ROB's aerial game is halfed there, N-airs are harder to land, and it's easier to play defensive. Keep in mind he can point the lazar.

Matchup Summary: ROB has but a slight advantage of killing early and a projectile. A bit more range and priority, but Sonic has 2x ROB's speed. He can't run from you.
55:45 ROB or 60:40 ROB. Nothing big.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Well that so called Wavedashy movement is a glidetoss I believe. First time I got hit by glidetoss gyro to Dsmash, I was like ZOMG HAX. Dont forget that Sonic has a better glidetoss though =P. The best way to grab gyro is to dash attack into in from close to the beginning of the Dash Attack.

I face ROBs all the time, and I'm really trying to see what ROB has over Sonic, besides like, weight and faster moves. I mean he has some stuff, but its not so bad.

Dsmash is incredibly quick and annoying out of shield. Basically, don't let rob spotdodge. If he spotdodges, try jabbing in place.

Bthrow, as Boxob showed me today, lol, can kill at higher percents apparently.

ROBs typical KO moves will be Nair or Bar. Usmash is very very powerful, but it doesnt hit to the sides like at all. Nair, as we know, is a beat of an aerial. It has quite a startup, but its hitbox and power more than make up for that. Bair similar to Sonics' in terms of range. But it boosts him forward and I don't think it has a sweetspot. Uair and Fair are just annoying, DI/Spring out. Dair should like never be a problem, Soncs Uair totally pwns it, both in range(as it does everything), and speed(Uair is frame 5, Dair is frame 20).

ROB's recovery is great, distance wise, but the problem is he is still quite vulnerable during it. Cant airdodge. Gimping would be hard, but because its so slow in movement compared to most recoveries, you should be at least getting quite a bit free damage.

I need some ROB mains in here, because I ca't think much of ROBs on paper matchups.

As for what Sonic has going for him here though, there are I think 3 major things.

1) ROB can't camp Sonic as effectively as he could others. Sonic is like, The anti camper. You can see his laser coming and can react accordingly. ASC and SideB cancelling, Spinshot, SideB Invincibility frames, and Sonic going under the laser unless ROB aims prefectly all help lessen the campage problem. He's just moving so much so quickly and has so many feints, its not too effective against him

2) Rob is large. This automatically should be like +5 matchup points for Sonic. ASC/SDR combos are too easy.

3) Perhaps the most important aspect, ROB has "blind spots" which Sonic can take advantage of, very very well. Particularly, he has problems with Opponents approaching from a diagonal angle(at least when he's on the ground). ASC hits like, totally diagonally. Couple this with the fact that ROB is large, and ASC becomes your most awesome tool. Rob also doesn't cover below him well, And uair totally pwns him in this case. If rob is directly above you, he cant really do much except try to land an Nair. Fair strings work nicely again him too.

Oh yes, platforms help too. Just don't get him by usmash =P

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
ROBs annoying.

Spotdodge Dsmash is annoying.

Shorthop Fair or Hyphen smash that ****. Yay for lingering hitboxes. If he spotdodges you KNOW that the Dsmash is coming. Too many people tend to try to punish him out of spotdodge with Smash attacks. You have enough time to jump and fair RIGHT over the spinny arms of death. I'm not sure if he has anything fast enough OoD to hit a shorthopping Sonic.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Or if you are at a bit further distance, a side B approach can boil your blood.Those arms are so long.

Browny

Smash Hater
his bair is gay

is there any way to pick up a gyro while its spinning without having to stop, attack it, then pick it up? Anyway, save bair for a KO coz landing a d/fsmash against rob is so hard with that dmsash punishing everything

2000 posts yay

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Did anybody here mentioned that shielding stops gyro completely? It's best to KO him off the top, he's pretty floaty. Also Side B goes through lazers lol.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
lol @ ppl being misinformed...
1. lasor takes 1.5 secs to charge to useability. does 4 damage and has slight stun is used lots to end combos. f/b-throw to laser is to be expected
2. takes 12 secs to get to full power (is very good for hitting off stage ppl into the blast zone.) this is where back throw to laser is really nice.
3. gyro disappears upon being shielded.
4. laser is charged enough to fire at the beginning of the match expect it
5. above facts make robs camping amazing. fire laser, charge and throw gyro, if gyro hits, continue with dash attack to pick up gyro and commence glide tossing. if gyro is shielded, the process of charging and throwing will take more than 1.5 secs. therefore they shoot laser again and procede to charge gyro again, making a perennial loop.
6. spotdodge to down smash WILL HIT YOU. A LOT. theres not much you can say about it. you can avoid it, and you can keep it from killing you, the speed of the multi hits also makes it hard to SDI out of. you can play so that it wont hit you everytime, but its just like fighting D3, you play with the idea that you dont want to get grabbed, but eventually youu know it will. you just have to not let it phase you and continue with your attack strategy.
7. f-tilt is stupid long, its longer than the first hit of snakes f-tilt. because of this ROBs to the same thing that snakes do, walk up to you and f-tilt from max range. few sonics do it as well,but dont do it here. you have to be weaving constantly in this match to screw with the spacing
ROB is very floaty, but at the same time he is heavy and hard to kill. this will test your gimping skills, if you get him off stage, even if you dont think you will kill him, try to rack damage on the way back. the only gimp deterent he has is n-air, but its long range and is pretty quick, so just watch out for it.
8 im pretty sure f-smash out ranges his d-smash.
9. he is highly up air-able
10. ASC and ASC to grab and ASC to punish spotdodge is good in this match
11. all good robs angle their laser down so you wont get under it unless you a playing a scrub
12. 55-45 Rob, just because a good player makes it super hard to kill him

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
lulz

I didn't even know there was more than one level of charge to the laser >.>

Also Stealth Raptor. Shouldn't you be in the Pika boards? We already have Anther playing Pika and Sonic. Me too actually. How many Pikasonics does there have to be?

I switched secondaries a lot.... I went from Pika to Toon Link to Pika to Toon Link to Falco to Bowser to Pika to Falcon and I'm back to Pika.

I've basically settled on Sonic/Pika/Falcon/Falco though.

Also screw getting UNDER the laser. Just pshield it. He ***** his head back before he does it. You SHOULD know when to pShield it.

Sonic should be JUST maneuverable enough to avoid nairs and attack in ending lag offstage. Try for bairs to be safe since they have range. Fairs are nice if you're confident.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I hope you guys are familiar with ROB's up-B and that he can't airdodge when he's in the 'booster' state. He can break out of it by using b-air, d-air, or n-air, but it's just something to keep in mind when you're off-stage.

I think if you're close enough, ROB's glide toss or F-itemthrow goes over you lol.
Tenki. I just noticed your post count/ join ratio. HOLY CRAP! You are SUCH a forum *****.....
yeah.

lol on the up side of things, I went from total newbie to semi competent player after trying hard to catch up to the current state of things and strategies blah. I didn't have anyone to play with, so I got a ton of posts here asking or answering questions.

what's funny is that at one point, KID said something like telling me playing the game more and spending less time on the forums because of that ratio, and the time period since then, he got about 1.5k posts.

I think it's just a side effect of the Sonic boards XD

/154/

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
lol, i could make 5 thousand posts TODAY and still have a better post count, join date ratio than you....

btw, if i had a wii, i would have like half of those posts...
i have to learn as much as i can since its hard for me to practice
just gotta use your time wisely

Tenki

Smash Hero
Back to ROB. I didn't like the 2-3 pages of BS with that Ness main lol.

I think someone posted a bunch of ROB moves that Sonic's F-tilt apparently outranges (?).

If not outranged, I think some of ROB's moves lean him out so if he misses and you're slightly out of range, you can hit him out of it.

Top Bottom