• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
55:45 R.O.B. seems like a fair verdict...although the R.O.B.s are kind of lazy to read the whole thread...Tenki even gave a link to this thread after mine disappeared for whatever reason and still don't want to come here...but I suppose it cuts down on spam or something.

Anyway 60:40 is kind of pushing it but at least it will never be any worse than that. To me it seems like Sonic will never have the advantage because he has to sort of play in R.O.B.'s hands wather Sonic likes it or not because of the Gyros/lazers...pewpew.
Yeah, even though I find the ROB matchup to get easier and easier, I have to agree.

Looks like Snake is coming up. Both ROB and Snake are easiest of Top Tier matchups for Sonic IMO.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
So played a ROB today. The more we both learn the matchup, the more I think its even.

By The way, ROBs recover pretty much eats quick run off the stage Bair stage spikes. Yea, of course a smart players can get around it around it and blah blah, but the nature of robs recovery makes him particularly susceptible to it IMO. Not a major factor though, but you should be aware =P

I'm looking at this matchup from a on paper point of view, an its not even fanboyness or anything, I just don't see how much ROB has over Sonic.

Robs Advantages as I see it:
Slight Range advantages on the ground on standard attacks.
Quick tilts.
Dsmash, lulz.
Powerful Crazy Strong huge hitbox Nair and powerful large hitbox Bair.
Pretty Heavy.
2 Great projectiles.

Sonics Advantages:
Lol, ground speed obvously.
Tech chasing(whiff a tech chase and ull be dsmashed though =/)
ROB is incredibly easy to SDR/ASC combo. You'll be getting like 25 damage half the time.
Sonic can't be projectile camped as effectively as most chars.
ROB camp gimp Sonic effectively.
Sonic Can cover all of ROBs blindspots pretty darn well.

I'd say theyre about even in killing ability. ROB's unlikely to get Snipe KOs due to the nature of Sonics recovery, and his Killing is basically limited mostly to Nair, Bair fsmash and gyro(which I don't think is a big deal for Sonic). Meanwhile Sonic can get Uair kills relatively easily on ROB, since he cant cover below him well, and Sonic still has Fsmash, Dsmash and Bair.

Recovery Wise, Robs is more "controllable", but also easier to rack damage on him as he tries to recover.

Blah blah

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
As for levels. It's tricky. You want length to give Sonic the freedom to do what he wants, but you want it close enough that you won't get lazored when attempting any sort of SDR.
R.O.B.'s weight needs to come in to play as well, is it worth picking a smaller stage for the earlier kills or will this just put Sonic out of the match quicker?

Alos; Kinzer! No link on your ROB Board THREAD...that's why there isnt any ROBs here.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Yes!!
My PS3 browser has a delay. When i saw this after restarting it, i was like "wtf... wher'd the matchup discussion go??" And then i noticed teh sticky. Congratz

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Hmm...it's probably best to go with a stage like LC or YI Brawl...anybody else agree?

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
As for levels. It's tricky. You want length to give Sonic the freedom to do what he wants, but you want it close enough that you won't get lazored when attempting any sort of SDR.
R.O.B.'s weight needs to come in to play as well, is it worth picking a smaller stage for the earlier kills or will this just put Sonic out of the match quicker?
Actually, considering the fact that ROB has projectiles, it would be better to have a smaller stage.

And due to ROB's giant blindspot, a low ceiling is preferred.

I say Green Greens would do nicely.

Tenki

Smash Hero
levels that give you iSDR / airdash-within-stage ability might be useful in this matchup.

Brawl YI, PS2, Picto (I don't play it much, so I can't comment)

among others.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
corneria,

nuff said

and im so sorry to see that you got stickeyed GS
your thread is going to promptly die now...

tenki
pictochat is sonics worst stage.
trust me on this one

infomon

Smash Scientist
I've never tried it, but I'd think that YI Melee would be good to pick against ROB, because it would kinda nerf his projectiles? *shrug* My TO doesn't allow that stage tho, so I haven't practiced it much :(

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
Sorry about the ROB boards not coming, we've more or less died since OS switched to MK.

One thing I've noticed is a lot of talk about juggling and hitting the blindspots; a good ROB is able to avoid that. The key word here is good; a bad ROB that relies only on spotdodge-dsmash and the like will be ***** in this matchup. ROB has to rely a lot on his spacing moves to win. ROB also has a better general ability to manipulate the match (grounded gyros, camping, etc.). However, his spacing and control are extremely skill-intensive, meaning that even a mid-level ROB vs. Sonic matchup is extremely different from the top-end group, and is probably about even.

ROB also isn't THAT weak on his blindspots. His ground blindspot is closer to 60°, not 45°, which is a bit harder to approach (and he can do retreating short-hopped fairs in order to keep you from taking advantage of it).

In the air he is weak from behind and below, but luckily Sonic isn't that fast, so it's no problem. O wait, Sonic is fast, you say? .... ok, yeah, he is. Sonic can actually take advantage of the aerial blindspots, so ROB should rarely float down onto the stage. ROB can do a decent job of minimizing Sonic's access to the blindspots with wise use of bairs and suchlike. If the ROB doesn't actively minimize your access to the blindspots, he's in trouble. If he does, then it's pretty straightforward for him.

O, and if Bair is spaced and timed properly it's not punishable by most characters. I'm pretty sure Sonic's included there, though I don't know for 100% certain. Because of Bair's weird timing, however, that's a lot easier said than done.

Neither character should count on gimps. If one character would be able to get them I think it'd be ROB, but that may just be my bias. In any event, they'll almost be irrelevant; most of the kills are going to come from kill moves, and ROB's are slightly better than Sonic's (though not much).

In the end, 55/45 to 60/40 in ROB's favor sounds about right to me. I think ROB improves more with skill and matchup experience; his spacing and timing is pretty precise on everything except dsmash, really.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Sorry about the ROB boards not coming, we've more or less died since OS switched to MK.

One thing I've noticed is a lot of talk about juggling and hitting the blindspots; a good ROB is able to avoid that. The key word here is good; a bad ROB that relies only on spotdodge-dsmash and the like will be ***** in this matchup. ROB has to rely a lot on his spacing moves to win. ROB also has a better general ability to manipulate the match (grounded gyros, camping, etc.). However, his spacing and control are extremely skill-intensive, meaning that even a mid-level ROB vs. Sonic matchup is extremely different from the top-end group, and is probably about even.

ROB also isn't THAT weak on his blindspots. His ground blindspot is closer to 60°, not 45°, which is a bit harder to approach (and he can do retreating short-hopped fairs in order to keep you from taking advantage of it).

In the air he is weak from behind and below, but luckily Sonic isn't that fast, so it's no problem. O wait, Sonic is fast, you say? .... ok, yeah, he is. Sonic can actually take advantage of the aerial blindspots, so ROB should rarely float down onto the stage. ROB can do a decent job of minimizing Sonic's access to the blindspots with wise use of bairs and suchlike. If the ROB doesn't actively minimize your access to the blindspots, he's in trouble. If he does, then it's pretty straightforward for him.

O, and if Bair is spaced and timed properly it's not punishable by most characters. I'm pretty sure Sonic's included there, though I don't know for 100% certain. Because of Bair's weird timing, however, that's a lot easier said than done.

Neither character should count on gimps. If one character would be able to get them I think it'd be ROB, but that may just be my bias. In any event, they'll almost be irrelevant; most of the kills are going to come from kill moves, and ROB's are slightly better than Sonic's (though not much).

In the end, 55/45 to 60/40 in ROB's favor sounds about right to me. I think ROB improves more with skill and matchup experience; his spacing and timing is pretty precise on everything except dsmash, really.
I agree with much of this, but I have some issues.

You can't really make a comparison on skill level. I think it should automatically be assumed the highest skill level, because that harkens the most to putting all these on paper values effectively into real life play. Just as you may say a good rob is precise with spacing, so is an excellent sonic utterly impeccable with the timing of his shield cancels and grabs. So yea.

As for blindspots, yea, ROB can cover them well, but theyre still there. Also, a 60° angle is probably easier fr Sonic to land an ASC on. ASC doesn't travel at a 60 degree angle relative to ROB, but it is very likely to hit ROB from such an angle.

As for gimping, you're right, neither is likely to gimp the other. But one must keep in mind that even if they can't you have to consider who is more likely to do damage off stage.

From now on I'm gonna use SideB shield cancels against gyro, since shield aparently elimnates it :D

Man... I want an (edible) gyro right now =//

But yea, 55:45 ROB is my veridict. 60:40 is too harsh IMO.

And KID, mannn is this Snake topic gonna be heated XD But all in good fun. I don't see why you are refuting Camalange though. I mean, he did say "of the top tier"; who does Sonic handle better at the top than ROB and Snake? You can argue D3(which I would say is equal to those), but definately not MK Falco or G&W.

Also, I think Wario will be Top tier next list, if the tiers are divided in their current proportions. Random, I know.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
you are bad and you should feel bad
Uh, considering the other top tiers, I find those two to be the easiest...
Oh, well I forgot Wario, lol.

Congrats on the sticky btw Green.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Wario isn't even top tier.
You should feel bad for taking him seriously.
<3

Snake and ROB are the easiest out of top tier.

Let's fill up the rest of this page so Greenie can start our next discussion.

This one is 45:55, right?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
lol, Wario's high tier, so I just kinda threw him out there. High/Top doesn't make too much difference to me.

At least I'm not the only one who felt that way about ROB and Snake.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Wario can ride Hogs...that's clearly a disadvantage for Sonic, since he is a hog. :urg:

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
We're nearing the end of this page, bear in mind people.
Be careful not to go over to next page.

Edit : rofl, Wario ***** Sonic.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Seriously. Who's genious idea was it to give his f-smash SA frames. :facepalm
Who's idea was it to give him an aerial/ground move that kills at 60%, but requires 55 sec's to charge. The gall to give him alot of weight AND recovery. KO power, bite has unlimited priority,
Aerial DI ridiculous, crazy aerials, powerful Ftilt, chaingrab on DK from 0-110% e.c.t.

:double Facepalm:

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Thanks for wastin the last useful post b4 I make a new page lol. Edit it darnit. Nuetral advantage disadvantage?

SNAKE - Character Matchup 11

Introduction

Behaviour:

Commonly Used Moves:

How to Win:

Recommended Stages:

Matchup Summary:

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Thankyou ROOOY! Helpful as ever. As for Snake, I'll make the thread in their boards this time..

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
HAHAHA that's ok Kinzer, check out the one I made.. It has funnies in it.

Also: LET THE SNAKE DISCUSSION BEGIN!

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
One of Sonic's easier Top Tier matchups.

Overall, because of Snake's absurdly good tilts, this should be treated as a hit and
run match up. Do not go for more than 3 hits at a time. You will probably get a bair/dair/uair in the face.

As for gimping, a simple bair should knock him out of his cypher. You can grab release him from his cypher.

Be mindful of nades/mines. You shouldn't have to worry about C4. You can run past with ease.

Sonic can SDR through missles.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Grab those grenades and either throw them up or use them against him. Your fast, you can get to them pretty easily, just hope they don't explode. Watch out for his F and U tilt, they kill and have MASSIVE range and priority. You can also sh over the nikita missile can't you? Well, you can try to Spinshot over and b-air him if he ever Nikitas so I don't think he would. =/ Rack up damage on snake during his recoveries is very important, if you get him off the edge, edgeguard. You can rack up damage here and allow for an easier kill against this heavyweight. I doubt we can truly gimp him though as he can just Up-B+C4 himself up so damage people, damage. Nair works here too if you hit him with the first part of it. Yups. Oh, and snakes down-throws are amazing for tech chasing, watch out. >_<

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Spin shot is your friend here against nades. Also I have a hilarious vid of me owning a Snake main with his own nade. What do we think of he DAC? I never seem to get hit by it all, is that a DI issue?

Top Bottom