• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
about 2 which part are you saying is mindgames,

because im saying that i just noticed that weve been trained into the ground to get around f tilt in any way... and that includes excessive shielding. and that is grab bait.

about 1
the jab isnt supposed to come out faster than the f-tilt, its just that the knee animation is really stupid in the fact that you can stagger the double fist in order to not let it get power shielded but the knee animation ends so fast that by the time you notice that he isnt going to finish it and try for the grab, he can jab, and jab comes out faster than dash grab by a mile. and i believe when started at the same time grab super armor will kick in, but im going to jab before you grab seeing as i have the frame advantage. and at high damage, jab strings into up tilt easily

and 3, because hes stupid...

Napilopez

Smash Lord
about 2 which part are you saying is mindgames,

because im saying that i just noticed that weve been trained into the ground to get around f tilt in any way... and that includes excessive shielding. and that is grab bait.

about 1
the jab isnt supposed to come out faster than the f-tilt, its just that the knee animation is really stupid in the fact that you can stagger the double fist in order to not let it get power shielded but the knee animation ends so fast that by the time you notice that he isnt going to finish it and try for the grab, he can jab, and jab comes out faster than dash grab by a mile. and i believe when started at the same time grab super armor will kick in, but im going to jab before you grab seeing as i have the frame advantage. and at high damage, jab strings into up tilt easily

and 3, because hes stupid...
Ahh, understood. It would still be possible to get the powershield grab under your description, but this definitely hampers it.

And about 2, im saying that if snake decides to run and grab instead of doing/finishing the tilt, thats a mindgame/reading thing.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i think its a matchup thing because every character and every player has been taught to fear the f-tilt and because of that snakes will get bold with their grabs

that can go either way...idk

The_Dyne

Smash Journeyman
meh, it really doesn't feel that long-range most of the time. And if they're trying to be precise with tilts, that's what makes people susceptible to feints, because precision --> commitment --> punishable

technically, I'm red-green colorblind. Certain shades of colors (not necessarily limited to red or green, I've screwed up blue/purple, yellow/green/orange, and red/brown/black) before. Red Snake on Lylat is the stupidest thing aside from dark GAW on Brinstar/Lylat.
Ugh, apparently I'm some sort of colorblind. The people who came to my school to do vision tests didn't tell me what colors though. :dizzy:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
you know whats really bad

im nt even colorblind, and I STILL cant see the light blue game and watch on daytime smashville.
almost lost a match just cus i couldnt tell what the hell was going on, it was legit camaflauge

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Ugh, apparently I'm some sort of colorblind. The people who came to my school to do vision tests didn't tell me what colors though. :dizzy:
There is a colorblind test online.
You could have red green,
yellow blue
etc etc.

Just google it.

@kid: hate game and watch when he is blue. when he dodges, NOTHING changes about him. H looks the exact same. I've attacked him and repeatedly gone, WTF?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
or how about black G&W on lylat cruise aka camouflage cruise
the man that inspired my sig (the 2nd part) is back!!

dark snake colors on lylat, red snake on norfair,
hes just gay(er than usual) sometimes

but if you REALLY wanna go for a trip...
team battle, sonic and lucario, red team, mario and (insert blue character here) blue team
team attack on
commence shenanigans

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
And the Whole point of this Colorblind discussion is to never take certain costumed characters to certain stages.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
And the Whole point of this Colorblind discussion is to never take certain costumed characters to certain stages.
lol, see? It was somewhat character matchup related.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Yes like a postey Mcgreen

Talk about Peach now plox.
KthnxBai!

PEACH - Character Matchup 11

Just put it at 55-45 or 60-40 Peach I don't know which it is you guys probably know better than I do
Peach is gay, Sonic is...well Sonic is awesome but still annoying to fight against. Getting past Peach's Floating crap will suck if she refuses to approach you and pulls off lagless rubbish on your sheild and pokes and jabs and stuff. Use Bair as Sonic but just be careful since Peach can hit you with her Fair if you miss or just chase you on the floor. Just punish her with Bair and stuff. Recover as best you can, Sonic's recovery is pretty screwy vs Peach anyway, you can die early if you're not careful
DI diagonally upwards against her stuff, she kills horizontally with Fair and the like. Chis is stupid and lives to about 190% if we're both playing well and even if he does mess up a bit he normally survives to around 160%, something stupid like that. Getting a hit on either side is really hard since their range his pretty even and I've found landing a kill move on Sonic is ridiculous since he moves so bloody fast but when coming down with my Fair on his sheild, provided I pull away a bit before and after the Fair comes out Sonic can't grab Peach but then Sonic can just roll away and run away and no one takes any damage and ARRGGGGGHHHHH
Turnips are silly, catch them if she's intent on spamming them, they're not fantastic vs Sonic anyway. I mean, they're Turnips so they're still really good but they lose their effectiveness when Sonic can run up and grab you, probably even if Peach does Turnip slide. If she has got a Turnip out watch her attack pattern and smack her or just wait until it's gone. Glide tossing can be used to punish Sonic's Bairs so be wary of that
If your Peach is silly or a risk taker, get ready to angle an F Smash up when she's recovering and coming towards you with a Fair, it'll probably smack her in the face before the Fair hits you. I've died a few times in the past to this and got a few Peach's doing this as well. Also, if your Peach mispaces her Fair or Jabs, grab her. Grab her when the Fair hits your sheild before she jabs and if she does jab, spotdodge if she goes for a 2nd one or grab her inbetween, judge the distance first so you don't get slapped. Don't go running towards her like a crazy fool cause her D Smash will slip you up. And don't try hit her out of a Fair if she SH Fair's by jumping off the ledge, shes invincible and you'll get hit

Neither side can kill very easily at all when playing carefully meaning this match will go on forever. Space for all your worth and if Peach is doing the same...well, you'll be there for a long time

Matchup Summary:

40: 60 Peach

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i havent played a super high top lvl peach but i know she cant be as hard as everyone else says she is, or maybe thats just me, cus i spam SH f-air like 5 times as much as anyone else here

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Great...I've only ever fought ONE peach, on Wi-Fi...who SD'd twice.
I have no experience against her whatsoever.
All I know is that her aerials own, and she can glide toss.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Peach is like the polar opposite of Ike...except I don't know how she acts towards Sonic. I can only imagine she would be angry at him since he's been a competitor of Mario for a long time.

We'll get no sympathy from the Peach.

Also can I go retry to post the matchup thign on the Peach boards, I promise I'll make it myself instead of copying Tenki's/your format and actually post a link and all the junk.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I remember we had a lot of discussion about Peach v Sonic with Peach mains like a month or two ago and we came to the conclusion it was like 40:60 Peach's favour. I remember her aerial game being quite a talking point. Her dair is pretty ****.

First person to find that discussion gets free complimentary steak.
I think it was on our boards. Maybe. Either way, there's some good stuff there.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Turnips on wifi have a 90% hit rate on me

:[

that said, turnips are as evil as Mario fireballs. There's always some kind of follow up.

Watch out fo trying to landcamp peach, because she can probably get a jab out before you can do anything. It's annoying.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Bleh I haven't played a good peach in so long. Never found the matchup particularly difficult though because I deal with items play pretty well. How does PeachDair fare against Sonic's fair and utilt? What about homing attack? Since the top is vulnerable I believe.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Who wants to make the Peach thread? Just copy the one I copied from ROOOY! in the Snake Boards.. but don't forget remove the Snake vid. Maybe find a vid of a hedgehog eating a peach to replace it lol.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I beat Dark peach.

Whut now *****aaa?

:093:
When the hell was this? I have not lost to a sonic at a tournament or friendlie for that matter.

And online I lost to one sonic but it was one out of maybe 8 fights. Every other sonic players I have ran too have never beat me. though i am thinking this post is a joke so......

Also, was Peach not talked about already. I remembered being called to a topic in here and talking about this match up.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I would not mind but from what I seen, same advice I gave in there I would mostly likely say the same now. But its late so I will do it when i get up. Going to bed now. niterz

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Lol Boxob. Your skills are great indeed. You certainly know how to get people to post :p
Dark, take everything these guys say with a pinch of salt...actually, I suggest an entire underground salt mine if we're talking about Boxob

I main Peach and I've played both Dark Pheonix and ROOOY so I'll try offer out what I learnt in those fights

Peach has excellent aerials that all autocancel very well indeed. Peachs Dair/Nair will outprioritize pretty much everything Sonic can throw at her. One of my favourite things to do was to ground float when Sonic was charging up a spindash and Nair him as he tried to plow into me. Be very careful with your spindash use because Peach can simply use Nair/Toad to counter it (Dair if shes above you)

If you see Peach approaching with Dair, jump up and hit her with an aerial. Bair seems to work pretty well in this match (it does in nasty input lag lol). If you see it coming and are underneath her, sheild and aim your sheild upwards to block the whole thing. If you happen to get stuck in the Dair, DI up and I recommend you Up + B out of it. It's a free 4% damage on Peach and it'll knock her out of her Float

Watch out for her Up/F Tilt, Up Tilt especially. Never try to approach Peach from above. Her Up Tilt will cancel out your Dair. Limit your Homing Attack use! You might think that because she's floating linearly in the air, Homing attack would be a great move. Wrong. Nair will outprioritze it and if Peach is on the ground, it gives her a free chance for an Up Smash

Try not to get into a jab fight with her as hers comes out on frame 2. If she repeatdly tries to jab --> grab you, sheild the jab and then run away/Up + B.

Turnips - be aware of them. Get out of their way because the majority of the time, Peach will use them for sheild pressure to follow up with a Fair (another one of her good moves, watch out for this one). If you catch one, use it against her. Don't be stupid with it, make good use of it

I think it's 60:40 Peach. You're going to have to outspeed her and keep her guessing to win but I think she has a slight advantage due to the fact she has Dair combos, a Nair that outprioritizes a lot of things Sonic has and a good projectile

Hope that helps

:064:

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I'm fine with 60:40 from what I see, although I'm still confused cuz peach is way harder than snake imo but watevs.

Peach does well against Sonic because although SDRs can clang with most any grounded standard attack, they fare poorly against aerials due to their lack of disjointed hitboxes, which is why peach beats him out here. Sonic is going to need to make heavy use of his ground game, and take advantage of peach's relative lightweightness.

How would Sonic do gimpwise? His recovery is better than peaches, but peach's isnt exactly bad, it just doesn't give her alot of vertical height. So I'm think of Dair semispikes, since that low and away angle will make it moe difficult for peach to recover. But of course they can just DI appropriately. Umm Uair can beat peaches Dair, but it has to be spaced pretty darn well. Lagless aerials are annoying XD

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Haven't played too many Peaches, but from what I HAVE played, I'd say 60:40 Peach is pretty justified.

Peach does feel vulnerable off the level though, all about keeping her off, then edgeguarding for an easy KO.

Oh, and guyz, up-angled fSmash ftw if they mispace their dair floats. Utilt works too if your fast enough.

Oh, and crouching to avoid dair is too much fun.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Gimping Peach is harder than it appears. Just because everyone says she has lolol flaot she cnt du anythign, doesn't make it true.

She can Toad pretty much all agressive attempts on edgeguarding. Nair will outprioritize Sonic's attacks and her Parasol has pretty insane priority as well (spring gimping won't work)

Top Bottom