• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gainesville, FL Smashfest, Melee/Brawl - 12/6/08

Moses.

Smash Journeyman
As the first of what I hope to be many Gainesville smashfests/tournaments to come, I present:

Gainesville Smash #1:
Alligators and Elephants

(Melee & Brawl, and the SEC Championship Game)

Date: 12/6/08
I realize that this is on the same day as the Play’N’Trade tournament in Orlando, but to tell the truth, I don’t expect too many players outside Gainesville to attend the smashfest, but maybe a few will.

Time: 4:00pm – 11:00pm
We have the room from 4 in the afternoon until 11 at night. If you want to play somewhere else after that, that’s fine, but we have to be out by 11pm.

Location: Gainesville, Florida, on the University of Florida campus, Basement of Weaver Hall dorm
Directions: Because no map providing service online offers a correct location of Weaver Hall, I'll try to give you a good idea of how to get there.

To begin, get to the University of Florida campus (WARNING: On campus there is a strictly enforced 20 MPH speed limit). Use Google maps to search for "Ben Hill Griffin Stadium", which will result in something like the following:

Once you get this far, Weaver is very close:

The road you turn off into the parking lot is called Gale Lemerand Drive. When you park, there is a back entrance between the two connected buildings next to a large dumpster. The door is locked, so you will have to call me in order to get in.

My phone number is (850) 819 - 6525. Ask for Matt. Someone will let you in. Also, if there are no parking spots available, I can help you find another lot to park in close by.

Room Setup: The room is very large, with plenty of tables and chairs. There are electrical outlets that line the walls, and in the back of the basement there is a room with a large screen TV in it (for the SEC Championship game). However, we sincerely need people to bring set-ups (who doesn’t?). Please post if you can bring any of the following:

PLEASE BRING ANYTHING YOU CAN. IF WE END UP NOT USING IT, WE CAN STORE IT IN MY DORM ROOM WHICH IS IN THE SAME BUILDING, AND YOU CAN HAVE IT BACK AT ANY TIME.

Also on that note, PLEASE LABEL ANYTHING YOU BRING AS YOUR OWN. Most of us will be there the whole day to keep an eye on everything so there hopefully won't be any problems, but some things make get mixed up so it's best that your label your stuff as yours to differentiate.

TVs:
1. RockCrock
2. Randicus
3. Masky
4. Darktemplio
5. Moses
6. Moses
7. Fishcake56
8. Pyrimadines

Brawl Setups:
1. Masky (Wii + Brawl)
2. NeonNess (Brawl)
3. Fishcake56 (Wii + Brawl)
4. Wintre (Wii + Brawl)
5. Randicus (Wii + Brawl)

Melee Setups:
1. Moses (Cube + Melee)
2. Masky (Melee)
3. RockCrock (Wii + Melee)
4. smashplayer16 (Melee)

Extension cords:
1. Moses (1)

Power strips:
1. Masky

Also, I ask that if you plan on staying for a while and can bring a set-up, please come as early around 4 as you can.

Lowdown: This is an experiment. What is happening is this: the “Peer Mentor” (helps residents with issues and such) on the floor of my dorm reserved the room for a bunch of people to play video games, billing it as a “floor activity”. I found out I can NOT host a money tournament in this situation because the potential consequences of him taking money from any residents aren’t good (even if he has nothing to do with the set-up other than reserving the room).

With that in mind, this smashfest will then hopefully serve as a meet and greet of sorts for all the smashers around Gainesville, and if this goes well, we can then potentially begin to flesh out some money tournaments for both Melee and Brawl starting in January of next year (it will also serve to reduce the risk of a fire hazard from cramming 12+ people into my dorm room every Friday night).

Food: There are places on campus to eat (Subway, Taco Bell, Wendy's, Moe's, Chili's-to-Go). However, we may just end up getting money together and ordering pizza.

Out of Towners:
If you would like to attend, but need a place to stay over Saturday night, please post saying so. On the converse, if you live in Gainesville and might have extra room for someone to stay, also please post this.

The To-be-Housed:

The Housers:
harriettheguy (has couch, couch chair, floor space, sensitive bamboo plant)

PLEASE POST IF YOU PLAN ON ATTENDING.
Also, GO TELL ALL OF YOUR FRIENDS TO COME.

Attendance List:
1. Moses
2. Masky
3. Zergum
4. Darktemplio
5. harriettheguy
6. mc4
7. pyrimadines
8. RockCrock
9. Ryusiodo
10. NeonNess
11. Fishcake56
12. Ryo_Guikido
13. smashplayer16
14. Randicus
15. NakedFlip
16. AngryMexican

Thanks everyone. Hope to see you soon.

Masky

Smash Master
Sounds fun, you know I'll be there along with HTG, Lio and Zergum. I can bring a Wii+Brawl+Melee also if needed. Maybe you can add an attendance list in the first post?

mc4

Smash Journeyman
sounds good i'm definitely there i'll be tellin people about it

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Smashfest!? Sounds good to me. I can bring a copy of Brawl if necessary.

I hope I don't have anything unexpected to do that day. :urg:

MuttonBasher

Smash Apprentice
i can definitely come after the game is over, which would be around 8pm. unless the room has a tv hookup?

Moses.

Smash Journeyman
Uggh, you do realize it's on at the same time as the SEC cbampionship game don't you?
If it's true that this is at the same time as the SEC championship, I'm not going.

Dare I say: Gator football>7 hours of smash. Ah don't kill me.
Yeah I realize that this is the same time as the SEC Game, which I expect plenty of people want to see because the Gators are throwing a **** party. However, this was the only weekend that I could plan this because the following weekend finals start on Saturday and then the next weekend everyone will be heading home for winter break.

However, I mentioned a large screen TV in the basement. I am going to check this evening if it has cable. If it does, we can certainly all watch the game on the big screen and smash during breaks.

Can we order pizza or should we bring chips and stuffs?
If we can all agree to bring food that would work, but I think it may just be easier to order pizza when we're there.

harriettheguy

Smash Lord
If anyone needed housing for the night my place is open. I've got a living room with a big couch, couch chair, and floor space as well as my own room's floor space if you get scared or something. The only problem is I have a bamboo plant in the living room that's starting to die and I don't want people to harass it so I don't know if I can trust you.

Anonymous.

Smash Lord
If anyone needed housing for the night my place is open. I've got a living room with a big couch, couch chair, and floor space as well as my own room's floor space if you get scared or something. The only problem is I have a bamboo plant in the living room that's starting to die and I don't want people to harass it so I don't know if I can trust you.
If I come I may need housing for the night. Would you mind me staying? I promise I won't hurt your bamboo plant :)

Raistlin

Smash Lord
I am so totally there if we get the SEC championship game on. Otherwise I'll only be showing up once the game is over. No way I'm going to miss the Gators ****** another "pro" SEC team! I can also bring recording equipment.

Fishcake56

Smash Cadet
I'll be there.
I can bring brawl and a hacked Wii that has the Brawl+ codes if anyone wants to mess around with them for ****s and giggles.

(it will also serve to reduce the risk of a fire hazard from cramming 12+ people into my dorm room every Friday night)
With all the flak that the brawl players catch from the melee players and vice versa, I'm pretty sure your room is flame retardant by now. :laugh:

Darktemplio

Smash Journeyman
Gainesville, Florida, USA, North America, Mars.
dude, i have no place to stay...can i stay at your place and harass the bamboo plant :)

Zergum

Smash Cadet
I wan't doubles money matches. ima be the huge black kid with 1 eye hit me up. (cant miss me)

Masky

Smash Master
I wan't doubles money matches. ima be the huge black kid with 1 eye hit me up. (cant miss me)
Someone should MM this kid and set him straight, frankly all the Gainesville smashers are sick of him, hell I beat him every day just using my secondary character... and his doubles partner is even worse

Zergum

Smash Cadet
Someone should MM this kid and set him straight, frankly all the Gainesville smashers are sick of him, hell I beat him every day just using my secondary character... and his doubles partner is even worse
I will fvck your day up vegatarian jew

mc4

Smash Journeyman
I will fvck your day up vegatarian jew
wow, not cool, how did we get from first brawl tourny to racial insults, i'm hopin you guys are friends and just jokin around...

Darktemplio

Smash Journeyman
Gainesville, Florida, USA, North America, Mars.
dude, I found this toon link at FIU that teamed up with me. We played like 30 matches without dying. Picture what i do with a bagillion projectiles and double that. Plus double link's, "Aghh!" It was seriously too **** and imma try to get him to go to gigs. WE GONNA KICK YO BLACK @$$ ZERGUM!

Top Bottom