• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Item related inputs after Air Dodge

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
EDIT/UPDATE: I renamed the thread so it can serve as a place for discussion for all things er, inputs that are item related and done after airdodging.

Please Note: I'm not taking credit for it yadda yadda yadda etc.

EDIT: Oh shi- The Snake boards probably already have me beat.

i think the first one DSF uses with nades, he says it canceling ur AD by throwing an item
lol

I call it:
Item Throw Cancelled, Air Dodge Cancelled Charges, or ITCADCC for short
:laugh:

Okay okay, I've got some explaining to do.

The original idea for this should be accredited to a few people.

First and foremostly, ChromePirate came up with the AT that this is merely an extention and exploration of --- Instant Ground Throwing, an AT he developed for Diddy.

Instant Ground Throw: As the title explains, it's an offensive way to have a naner be thrown straight from the ground in either horizontal direction. Set L to attack, and go over a banana on the ground and SH airdodge with R and then quickly press a direction and L. What should happen is you will just perform a rising SH throw (smashed or tilted can be controlled by control stick pressure). You can use it as a surprise attack backwards, or as a straight-forward offensive throw straight from the ground. It's a good lagless way to throw a banana behind you or in front of you but does require spacing if you want it to hit.
Now note, it's not necessary to change you button configuration (I didn't).

NinjaLink gave us the concept of Charge Cancelling with characters like Lucario, in that you can cancel charges into just about anything. I do it frequently with Diddy's neutral b charge.

ANYWAY, what I figured out from all this is that this works with all characters and in terms of the technique I am describing to you in this thread.

First of all, I will explain 'Airdodge Cancelling'

Basically, if you're holding an item while you're in the air, if you airdodge, you can throw the item within the first few frames of the airdodge. In the video I created to visually explain all this, you can't see this (In fact, with Diddy I'm betting that the airdodge doesn't even come out) but it is possible to enter an airdodge then throw an item. But I'm 90% certain that my testing with Diddy revealed that he does in fact initiate an airdodge before throwing his banana.

• Airdodge Cancelling on its own is relatively useless since you have to cancel it on the very first few frames, you can't just airdodge and then throw whenever you want during it. However, ChromePirate's 'Instant Ground Throw' is one thing to take advantage of it.

Now we also have characters that can cancel their charges B attacks in the air. In the case of characters like Lucario and Diddy** when their charge b is cancelled in the air, they fall into an airdodge. However, with an item in hand you can cancel said airdodge with an item throw. Thus giving us Item Throw Cancelled, Air Dodge Cancelled Charges.

**Diddy can cancel his charge neutral b on the very first few frames with L/R without causing an airdodge.

• Now OBVIOUSLY this isn't terribly useful. Evidently, it's useless with Sheik or DK who can cancel their neutral B's without airdodging.

I decided to post this primarily for the sake of letting people know that 'Hey, if I airdodge, I can throw an item to cancel it on like, frame 2'.

I don't know what this means. It could lead to another discovery like ChromePirate's before me, or it could lead to absolutely nothing, but I believe it's important that all knowledge is recorded and kept somewhere, and this is just another little tidbit.

I'm not sure if this has been discovered or not, I just went through my (formly Jewdo's) AT sticky and couldn't find anything like it. I also get the feeling that a lot of people probably know this already and I'm making a fool of myself :laugh:

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5xU2B8r2iY

(I just re-uploaded a better quality one.

I definitely find this useful for Diddy/Lucario fakeouts, but that's about it.

Thinking off the top of my head, I can't think of any other characters with charges that cancel in such a way that they could take advantage of this (Since DK/Sheik don't need it).

Whaddya think?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Hmmm...some questions:

- Are the characters invincible for the first two frames?
- How fast can you do a regular attack afterwards?
- Can you do it out of a SH?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
1. No, and I only picked the number 2 for the frames arbitrarily. I don't know how large the window of frames is. As far as I know, none of the characters have invincibility frames on their very first opening frames (but please, prove me wrong, I have no idea).

2. It's like normal. You can attack as soon as your throwing animation ends.

3. Yes

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that some character boards will know of this more than others. DSF aparently airdodge cancels with grenades already. lol. So I am by no means a discoverer of anything, just a scribe (lol smash writer).

I expect a lot of people will come on and say 'Yeah, I already know', but oh well, it's out there for everyone now.

rofljont

Smash Apprentice
actually who found this out first a friend of mine named meeks he discovered it, i had started using it before any1 else, since palmdale biweeklies 3, if you want proof ask futile chaz bardul and even MS king, it was original name was meeks-canceling

also used for throwing items back, any character can do it but i think snakes is best

Glusent

Smash Journeyman
You can also cancel a jump into a drop with Z if you do not move horizontally, but its nearly useless

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Yeah, you can cancel airdodge with items and with some characters Zairs. I thought this was common knowledge. It makes Link so much funner in the air.

If only I could cancel his arrow charge! lol (wait . . . goes to check)

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I think this is one of those things that is only common knowledge to certain character boards. It was certainly something I had no knowledge of prior to this. I hadn't seen this discussed before out in the open, and was hoping maybe somebody could make something more of it. I'm not trying to make a big deal about it. I just like to write a lot. And I have fun with video editing : 3

Anyway this is Brawl after all. We need to grasp at every straw it gives us.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Its cool ur showing this vyse but it was kinda discovered like first week into brawl. Sowwie> _<

Crow!

Smash Lord
I was chastised for posting about something excessively obvious when I posted this on the Link boards about 4 months ago (thread here).

By far the best application is to use the neutral Z item drop, which has no animation: it doesn't even interrupt your air dodge! They then come in and attack you, but hit your bomb and blow up while you are safe.

Since the air dodge doesn't come out at all for the various directional throws (the input window for throwing is shorter than the lead-in time before you actually become invincible), it has essentially zero usefulness for anything other than dropping.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Since the air dodge doesn't come out at all for the various directional throws (the input window for throwing is shorter than the lead-in time before you actually become invincible), it has essentially zero usefulness for anything other than dropping.
Ayup.

Though, what I'm looking at with this is cancelling situations where you are forced into an airdodge to cancel prior to that.

In the example I used in the video, I used two characters who are forced into an air dodge animation after cancelling their neutral B charges. Initiating the throwing animation is quicker than waiting for the airdodge to end.

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
Just becaus I'm a Wavebounce-fan:

You know you could wavebounce the peanutgun and then throw the banana? Which would mean that you jump forward, suddenly change direction to moving backwards in the air and afterwards throwing a banana?

Edit: Or the other way of course (offensive Wavebounce)

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
: O

Hmm, it seems that there's a large group of techniques concerning item-related inputs after air dodging. Z-dropping never even came to mind, lol.

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
Top Bottom