• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Theory on Why They Included Wolf Over Krystal

Negi-Kun

Smash Lord
Well, let the somewhat epic 1000th post begin...

I think the developers
and by the developers, I mean Sakurai,
noticed that there was a huge demand for a third Star Fox character. The majority of the fans obviously wanted Krystal because she had a great, original moveset planned out. (maybe with the **** staff?) Plus, another female Smasher would be a great addition.

So as you may or may not know, Wolf is the official last character in the game. He was basically a last-minute addition. I'm sure he would have had some involvement in the Subspace Emissary if he wasn't. So the question, why Wolf over Krystal? Because they simply didn't have the time to develop and think of original ideas for Krystal. To make Krystal, they would have to think of original specials and playstyles and a Final Smash. But with Wolf, you can have similar animations and attacks to Fox and Falco. And the same Final Smash... Think about his up air. It's basically a weak attack from wherever you hit it. It's the same property wherever you pull it off. Almost every one of Wolf's moves (except maybe his up b) are low-priority. I mean, they HAD to add Wolf instead. They needed to copy animations. Think: Slightly different side b, neutral b, down b, same entrance animation as Fox, same Final Smash, and maybe even the stretch of copying others! His up smash, Sonic's up air? His down air, Diddy's down air? Those might be stretches, and I'm not saying that Wolf and Fox/Falco are clones. Just think of it this way, they needed to copy animations. They couldn't possibly do that with Krystal.

So, your thoughts on my little theory?
And remember, please flame responsibly.
This is the character boards after all...

-Negi

ElPadrino

Smash Apprentice
If you think Wolfs' attacks have low priority, you probably haven't even played him.
Plus, what makes you think Wolfs' Up-smash is a copy from Sonics' Uair and not the other way around?

I HIGHLY doubt Wolf was a last minute addition, he might not been planned from the start, but he certainly wasn't added near the end.

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
I thought I read somewhere that Sonic was the last character added...maybe not, though.

A fair amount of Wolf's moves have bad priority, but definitely not all of them. A smart player will not make excessive use of those low-priority moves. Also...I think the moves you mentioned are the only ones with a similar animation to anything else...That's still a lot of work for a character to change the model and adjust the animation so it looks right with the character; not much more than making up a new animation with a new character model.

I think Wolf was added in over Krystal because he's more representative of the series as a whole. Wolf has been Fox's rival since SF64, appearing in most games. Plus, Krystal's debut was in SF Adventures, which pretty much marks the decline in popularity and ratings of the SF games; she can be seen as a symbol of the series' fall. Also, since Sakurai seems to be such a hxc SF fan, he'd definitely go retro (when the games were fantastic) than with the newer, failing games (not to say they're bad; they're just not doing as well).

It's like choosing between...Liu Kang or Quan Chi from Mortal Kombat...Yeah, Quan Chi's more original and whatnot than Liu Kang, who's a blatant Bruce Lee ripoff, but Quan Chi debuted in MK: Sub-Zero or whatever, which is arguably when the series jumped the shark, not to mention Quan Chi's not near as representative of MK as Liu Kang.

JCav

Smash Lord
I HIGHLY doubt Wolf was a last minute addition, he might not been planned from the start, but he certainly wasn't added near the end.
he was, it was said about the forbiden seven and when they decoded it and everything...

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
What?

Also, topic creator, your "theory" is pretty much moot because the game is based on Japanese popularity (among other things), and in Japan, Star Wolf > Krystal in popularity.

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
Maybe I'm just too used to playing Falcos, D3s, and Marths to realize that he has decent priority over a fair amount of people. Whatever. The main point of my argument has little to do with it; Wolf was probably chosen over Krystal because he's a better representative of the series.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I think its because she's just some random ho who doesn't fit in with the series.

AssaultX

Smash Apprentice
Plus, Krystal's debut was in SF Adventures, which pretty much marks the decline in popularity and ratings of the SF games; she can be seen as a symbol of the series' fall. Also, since Sakurai seems to be such a hxc SF fan, he'd definitely go retro (when the games were fantastic) than with the newer, failing games (not to say they're bad; they're just not doing as well)
Star Fox Adventures got the 2nd highest overall rating out of the whole series, actually. Only losing to Star Fox 64 of course ;)

Star Fox Assault got the lowest ratings out of the series also, just to point it out.

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
That's US scores. As far as I know Assault got a more decent rating when compared to Command and Adventures.

Again, people, Japanese popularity.

The Max is Back

Smash Cadet
Because krystals weapon of choice is a long staff, therefore she would have a lot more range then other other characters..... and a bunch of other stuff that would make her broken/unbalanced in the game (I'm just to tired to explain them all)............

Top Bottom