• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
55:45....

TKONTK's Falcon is teh_sexbomb.

I always have the good matches with him. And the lag is still craptastic.

:093:

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
Yeah I know, knee's lag is sooooo bad, like it's not even funny

Iv had better matches with Rebaz, and that too we both were johning about the lag issues (I had stonner Johns lol)

I say 45:55, not that much in Sonic's Favor, but it still is.............not by much, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if you called it 50/50

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
yeah, I know

I was making a point about the Lag. That too I only faced Rebaz online just to settle the score of who was better. Were pretty much even, I won the majority of matches though but you can't tell skill with lag, so im giving him the benefit of the doubt

Tenki

Smash Hero
Well, since we're still talking about Falcon...

This one is a hard matchup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LOIOerDsRA

2:15-2:16 Spindash > aerial on a shielding Falcon, Ganondorf, anything? No, not if he knows the matchup :<
2:17-2:22 Another 'reading' trap. I personally call it the Ally combo, but I swear, it's SOO demoralizing when he does that to you lol.
2:34-2:38 Another one of those demoralizing Ally rapegrabs done out of correct reading lol.

hwo 2 defeat this matchupp????

i wan fight oso dis one but he so pro la.

wah lan.

in all seriousness, if I can catch Ally or Holy this weekend on AiB, I'm gonna do the Sonic vs AllyFalcon challenge :3

and probably lose.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
So Sonic has an advantage but not a significant one? So do we agree on 55:45: Sonic?

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
Well, since we're still talking about Falcon...

This one is a hard matchup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LOIOerDsRA

2:15-2:16 Spindash > aerial on a shielding Falcon, Ganondorf, anything? No, not if he knows the matchup :<
2:17-2:22 Another 'reading' trap. I personally call it the Ally combo, but I swear, it's SOO demoralizing when he does that to you lol.
2:34-2:38 Another one of those demoralizing Ally rapegrabs done out of correct reading lol.

hwo 2 defeat this matchupp????

i wan fight oso dis one but he so pro la.

wah lan.

in all seriousness, if I can catch Ally or Holy this weekend on AiB, I'm gonna do the Sonic vs AllyFalcon challenge :3

and probably WIN.
fixed. I wanna play, too. ally sure has a weird falcon. its still so effective. :dizzy:

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
yes it does, an AC knee won't sweetspot any character, however if I AC knee any breakable object the electricity will travel through the object and to the character, it doesn't go brokenly far, but it gains as much range as Falcon's Nair, which is enough to connect with Sonic and send him back to greenhill zone.
This dude irks me.
For one Falcon's knee disjoint does not travel. Frame data supports this, it does not magically travel.
The hitbox for the knee covers his knee and al ittle bit higher and lower. So when you kneed Sonic its cause you hit him with the disjoint. It did not travel, its just taht the graphics extend slightly past what it shows.

You're doing it wrong .
Scrub=person who limits themselves on their own reason. i.e. Not using MK because they feel using top tier is lame.

That is a scrub.
The fact you use Falcon makes you a scrub.
Scrub==neutral connotation
you just ascended from newb to noob cause of your usage of the word scrub.

BACK UP EDIT:we know it's disjointed, but it shouldn't normally sweetspot when AC. but when it connects with breakable objects the hitbox becomes larger.
This dude gives me a headache.

The sweetspot DOES NOT EXTEND. Stop thinking with your eyes and look at the data.
When Falcon sweetspots he gets a nicely sized disjoint equivalent to Sonic's utilt disjoint.
The electricity does NOT travel.
you probably landed the attack and THOUGHT that it "travelled" due to hit delay where Sonic can move with DI but you cannot move during the delay.

It is how Sonic can float back tot he stage when Ganondorf Dairs him.
You're still in TEH KNEE position but Sonic's body can still move even though the knocback hasn't taken into effect.

im not saying that you should listen to him without question but when you are blatently calling him wrong about a character that he mains and you dont, thats not cool.
but anyway
L:ife's not cool.
If you're wrong you're wrong.
hell I even went out on a limb and tested it, it does NOT travel. It looks that way because of the hitstun and because Sonic moves ever so slightly after being hit. But the disjoint does not "travel" up the spring to hit Sonic period.

Even though I main Sonic, that doesn't mean someone who doesn't main Sonic can't say I am wrong. -_-;
Appeal to authority fallacy.

I would say 60:40 but no one agrees with me so meh 'll concede to 55:45.

Edit: I should play Ally's Falcon some time.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Sheik - Character Matchup 23

Introduction

Brawls only transvestite fighter.

Behaviour:

SO IT REALLY SUCKS WHEN A GOOD SHEIK IS UNDER A NON-MOVING PLATFORM AND HAS PERFECT CHAIN CONTROL.

;l
Aerially she is a little better to deal with but she still has an advantage.
she can easily solve her killing issues with her down B.

More info guize?

Commonly Used Moves:

Forward tilt- If you have fought a Sheik before, you should know that Sheik has a lock with forward tilt. She can rack up 50% plus with this and follow it out with a up smash/grab. However to get out of it, it's recommend that you smash DI ????

Up smash-This can be done through a forward tilt, sweetspotted up smash hits twice and does 31 damage and can kill at higher percentages.

Chain-Out prioritizes most of Sonic's attacks and simple out ranges him.

If they react to your feints through the spring, roll behind them and punish the lag.

Projectiles go through the chain.
You can Dair through the chain or drop a spring above it.
However if they're under a platform, have perfect chain control and have a lead, you're screwed since the platform protects Sheik for your spring and Dair.

Needles-1 needle will clang with or hit through just about anything we have, and when it clangs, the following needles will hit you. So walking/dashing and shielding the needles would be a safer approach then a spin dash approach.

Jab-It's a 2 frame jab. If it enters the multi-hit state, I recommend that you smash DI out.

How to Win:

Sonic's moves can be too slow in this match up, no joke. Sheik has a large frame advantage of Sonic. However some of her attacks have noticeable cool down lag, so punish out of shield or as soon as possible and as hard as you can.

Due to Sheik's 'Chain control', it's recommended you take her to a place without platforms. With the exceptions of Yoshi's Island and Smashville because of the moving platforms.

I think I found a counter strategy for it. I can't claim it for my own since someone else had suggested it, but it sounds like it could be effective.
run to the other side of the stage/higher platform and side-taunt

Anyway, as long as Sheik's reactions are punishable, especially out of shield, it makes her more susceptible to things like Side-B/ASC cancels and other feints.
Well the premise behind it is exactly that though- if you react to side-B charging, I shield(and/or roll) to defend against your attack. XD

Rolling I can see working against needles if I'm close enough. If you freak out and release chain if I roll towards you during start up then that's kind of punishable. But if you keep it out then you'd win that situation ;o
With Sheik it is best to take her to places without platforms.
The only place I would ever say could be used and has platforms is Yoshi's Island.

More info guize?

Recommended Stages:

Ban: Battlefield

Counter Pick: Lylat Cruise?

More info guize?

Matchup Summary:

:sonic: :shiek:
40:60

She's a SHE, not a HE.

Tenki

Smash Hero
SO IT REALLY SUCKS WHEN A GOOD SHEIK IS UNDER A NON-MOVING PLATFORM AND HAS PERFECT CHAIN CONTROL.

;l

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
f-tilt wont lock us but it still combos into itself and other things,
up tilt
up smash
grab
down smash

needles are annoying

Tenki

Smash Hero
ohya, so I heard that for F-tilt, you DI down (and away?) because as Sheik stales it, her hitstun decreases, and if you're near the floor, then awesome, you can shield between F-tilts.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I heard you're supposed to SDI into Sheik..... like to get behind her
iunno...
If you SDI into Sheik, and the Sheik player catches you, you get U-tilted/U-smashed/grabbed.

Sound fun?

aeghrur

Smash Champion
If you SDI into Sheik, and the Sheik player catches you, you get U-tilted/U-smashed/grabbed.

Sound fun?
No, Fizzy is right.
Usually, your supposed to SDI into Shiek because she'll probably keep F-tilting and you can touch the ground and shield earlier.
However, if your at like a high percentage or the lock is knocking you back enough, SDI down and away to escape it. Point is, if your close to shiek, SDI towards, if your pretty far away from her, then SDI away from her.

Tenki

Smash Hero
No, Fizzy is right.
Usually, your supposed to SDI into Shiek because she'll probably keep F-tilting and you can touch the ground and shield earlier.
how does that work out? :l

do you mean towards and down, or towards and up?

I've had people tell me to go towards and up, and that's usually led to me getting U-tilted/U-smashed/grabbed, because Tristan Win knows his DI traps :<

aeghrur

Smash Champion
how does that work out? :l

do you mean towards and down, or towards and up?

I've had people tell me to go towards and up, and that's usually led to me getting U-tilted/U-smashed/grabbed, because Tristan Win knows his DI traps :<
You go Toward and Down so her******** Up-smash doesn't tip you, and you can shield because usually, shieks will try to F-tilt lock you in the other direction. =/
If they grab though, that just might, MAYBE leads to a string or U-smash, but you have a better chance of escaping than if you go toward and up... I think. =/

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
You go Toward and Down so his Up-smash doesn't tip you, and you can shield because usually, shieks will try to F-tilt lock you in the other direction. =/
common now...

anyway the DI thing is something that we should have the sheiks explain.

does she really have any other moves to be worried about?

all i know is that sweetspotted up smash hits twice and does 31 damage. other than that and projectiles, i really dont know what else to look for/be afraid of...

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
needles,

just like melee, they are gay.

1 needle will clang with or hit through just about anything we have, and when it clangs, the following needles will hit you.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I know you're on Ganondorf but seriously you can just color MK black and be done with it. If Marth is black, so is MK.
Get out of our boards.

Marth wasn't decided to be black, that's going to be changed, and MK's been decided as a red I believe.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I'm putting up an updated chart on post #3 of this thread.

Have we really decided 55:45 against Falcon rofl?

And it was 60:40 Ganon, right?

Top Bottom