• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anti-Meta Knight Discussion

Mmac

Smash Lord
Basically, I am just focusing on the tops.

Falco is not the best MetaKnight Counter. I think it's a tie between Snake and Yoshi. Yoshi can actually recover against MetaKnight, compared to almost every other characters in the game, and is the only character that has Hard Counterpick Stages against him. Snake is Snake. Falco is probably the 3rd best counter, and FYI, Yoshi was 55:45 one point too. Same with Snake.

I am not sure about Diddy, DK, Bowser, and ZSS. Diddy is stage dependent, DK gets comboed badly, same with Bowser, and ZSS I just don't plain know enough about her. Bowser is probably better than DK, but I can't really position them well without knowing more about Diddy and ZSS

bowser top?this is wrong.
Trust me, he does surprisingly well against him. He basically uses an identical strategy as Yoshi, but inferior.

The top 3 basically are Snake, Yoshi, and Falco. Maybe ZSS too

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
Basically, I am just focusing on the tops.

Falco is not the best MetaKnight Counter. I think it's a tie between Snake and Yoshi. Yoshi can actually recover against MetaKnight, compared to almost every other characters in the game, and is the only character that has Hard Counterpick Stages against him. Snake is Snake. Falco is probably the 3rd best counter, and FYI, Yoshi was 55:45 one point too. Same with Snake.

I am not sure about Diddy, DK, Bowser, and ZSS. Diddy is stage dependent, DK gets comboed badly, same with Bowser, and ZSS I just don't plain know enough about her. Bowser is probably better than DK, but I can't really position them well without knowing more about Diddy and ZSS

Trust me, he does surprisingly well against him. He basically uses an identical strategy as Yoshi, but inferior.

The top 3 basically are Snake, Yoshi, and Falco. Maybe ZSS too
I don't beleive that there are Hard counters for MK . If anything there are soft counters and those are hard to distinguish here and there.Diddy would probaly be the hardest counter out there PROBALY and it is true it is SOMEWHAT stage dependent.I'd have to say next to Diddy I would put Snake for the fact that he has a lot of solutions to the problems MK throws out at you. Next to Snake would probaly be Marth for the same reasons..But Falco definetly needs to go down a couple of notches....

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I think that Top-tier should be Yoshi and Snake as first and second (not sure which one, though), then Bowser for third, then Falco, then Zero Suit Samus.

Mmac

Smash Lord
If Yoshi grabs MetaKnight on Yoshi's Island Melee at all, he is dead. Same with Green Hill Zone if anyone is actually insane enough to leave it counterpickable

Yoshi can KO MetaKnight in the 50-60's on Corneria from Grab Releases + Wall Infinite

4/5's of Castle Siege plays into Yoshi's favour, from slight to heavily. He can actually work fast enough to CG him to death on the transitions.

These are that I believe are hard counterpick stages. No other characters (Except maybe Bowser with Corneria/Castle Siege) has these or anything like this against MetaKnight

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
I think that Top-tier should be Yoshi and Snake as first and second (not sure which one, though), then Bowser for third, then Falco, then Zero Suit Samus.
Why Yoshi for top? Why Bowser in the top 3? And definetly why Zamus? What does she have that makes her THAT effective against MK?

If Yoshi grabs MetaKnight on Yoshi's Island Melee at all, he is dead. Same with Green Hill Zone if anyone is actually insane enough to leave it counterpickable

Yoshi can KO MetaKnight in the 50-60's on Corneria from Grab Releases + Wall Infinite

4/5's of Castle Siege plays into Yoshi's favour, from slight to heavily. He can actually work fast enough to CG him to death on the transitions.

These are that I believe are hard counterpick stages. No other characters (Except maybe Bowser with Corneria/Castle Siege) has these or anything like this against MetaKnight
So with all the evidence out there howcome Yoshi hasn't flooded the tourny scence whenever a MK appears? Yoshi sounds more like IC's because they are dependent on their grabs,thats what Yoshi sounds like right now. How does he stand without his grabs though?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Yoshi ... is the only character that has Hard Counterpick Stages against him.
*COUGH* Peach on Green Greens *COUGH*

I'd imagine any other character with good verticle KO power would also have some level of advantage here - though not necessarily a hard advantage.

TheUmbreonMonarchy

Smash Cadet
Zamus has a grab-release-CG on Meta.

Her Plasma Whip outranges and spaces Meta very well.

She can answer Tornado and aerial Shuttle Loop.

She can chain Meta with Dsmash for a bit.

Her B-air can beat Meta's F-air approach.

Can gimp Meta out of a Shuttle Loop.

Her Dsmash outranges everything Meta has (ya rly, even his F-tilt).

Need more?

Mmac

Smash Lord
*COUGH* Peach on Green Greens *COUGH*
I said STAGES. Having only one will result the stage getting banned. It can only be good if you have more than two, that way the character is in trouble no matter what

I can list so many Yoshi does so well against MetaKnight, but I have been explaining for half a year, it gets tiring after awhile....

oh well

- Solid Defencive game against him. Pivot Grabs and Usmash works well at anti approaching while having fallback moves such as Jab and Tilts incase he does get in
- Has Grab Release setups for free combos and kills
- Double Jump Armour can be used as an combo escape and an counter attack.
- Can actually recover against him flawlessly due to poor aerial speed to counter DJAD.
- Is probably the only character that can actually gimp him if he uses too many jumps (Dair to Nair combo, Dair can also beat out shuttle loop)
- Has First Round Stage Advantage
- Has Heavy Counterpick stages

Those are the important points.

So with all the evidence out there howcome Yoshi hasn't flooded the tourny scence whenever a MK appears?
Because he's unpopular as hell and over half the community here still believes he's almost as bad as Falcon and not worth using at all? The fact that the owner first had Yoshi listed as the absolute worst against MetaKnight proves that statement

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I said STAGES. Plus Green Greens is banned often
Yoshi's Island Melee is also one of those "different = banned" stages.

Plus Peach also has that stage advantage versus him. HA! :bee:

I love those stages so much. *wipes away tear*

Mmac

Smash Lord
Yoshi's Island Melee is also one of those "different = banned" stages.

Plus Peach also has that stage advantage versus him. HA! :bee:

I love those stages so much. *wipes away tear*
Yeah, I realized that, though I think Green Greens is banned more often still...

Read new edit please

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
I said STAGES. Having only one will result the stage getting banned. It can only be good if you have more than two, that way the character is in trouble no matter what

I can list so many Yoshi does so well against MetaKnight, but I have been explaining for half a year, it gets tiring after awhile....

oh well

- Solid Defencive game against him. Pivot Grabs and Usmash works well at anti approaching while having fallback moves such as Jab and Tilts incase he does get in
- Has Grab Release setups for free combos and kills
- Double Jump Armour can be used as an combo escape and an counter attack.
- Can actually recover against him flawlessly due to poor aerial speed to counter DJAD.
- Is probably the only character that can actually gimp him if he uses too many jumps (Dair to Nair combo, Dair can also beat out shuttle loop)
- Has First Round Stage Advantage
- Has Heavy Counterpick stages

Those are the important points.

Because he's unpopular as hell and over half the community here still believes he's almost as bad as Falcon and not worth using at all? The fact that the owner first had Yoshi listed as the absolute worst against MetaKnight proves that statement
I'd pick up his smexy *** if I knew more reasons why he wasn't played consistntly in tournies.......
His grabs are jesus like and he can DJ out of combos. But if he interupts his DJ with an attack he gets put into a combo that might shave a stock off his life. Also MK can recover more ways then Shuttle Loop also. So I'm still trying to grasp his ground and aerial game compared to MK....

Mmac

Smash Lord
True that he has more methods, but Dair also beats out Drill Rush, and he can interrupt cape if he doesn't do it soon enough.

In the Air, Yoshi beats out above and below him by a bit, and MetaKnight has the sides by a bit. The ground, it depends on how well he can hold a defence. Usmash and Pivots beat out any direct approach he has. Egg's counter aerials well, and Ftilt is pretty good against Fair, Ftilt, Dsmash, and Dash when used right. Jab works well if he gets in the primary defence to simply knocking him away.

It's basically all about holding the fort and picking the right move for the situation. MetaKnight's Speed, Range, and Priority is too great for Yoshi to handle directly, but that's pretty much true with everyone.

Now I must sleep

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
True that he has more methods, but Dair also beats out Drill Rush, and he can interrupt cape if he doesn't do it soon enough.

In the Air, Yoshi beats out above and below him by a bit, and MetaKnight has the sides by a bit. The ground, it depends on how well he can hold a defence. Usmash and Pivots beat out any direct approach he has. Egg's counter aerials well, and Ftilt is pretty good against Fair, Ftilt, Dsmash, and Dash when used right. Jab works well if he gets in the primary defence to simply knocking him away.

It's basically all about holding the fort and picking the right move for the situation. MetaKnight's Speed, Range, and Priority is too great for Yoshi to handle directly, but that's pretty much true with everyone.

Now I must sleep
Sleep is for the weak xD
Well always nice chatting/arguing with you :D

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Can another copy of the list come out already. Obviously everyone is repping their main character only giving out 1 fact at a time but I'm not convinced that because of just one fact that should be enough to up that characters spot on the list. Don't tell me Zelda is good at killing vertical yet you fail to mention how good Zelda does overall vs MK Give us FACTS that support why (insert character) should go higher on the list!!!!
Gee, I'm sorry for not providing a full ****ing synopsis for you. Shame on me for being happy about where my character is and for not making a contribution, instead of being like you and.... oh, wait a sec:

And Marth is under Zelda and Lucario?? Yeah really plaease change this around. It is really inaccurate.
Nice contribution there! Kinda like the rest of your posts in this thread. "Hey, move ____ up, he's good. Move ____ down, he sucks." You're one to talk.

But you know what, enough of my snide remarks. Here goes:

First and foremost, understand that Zelda's moves, when they're not DI'd out of/sourspotted, are pretty ****ing deadly. From the middle of FD, given the general best DI that I could manage as one person, Zelda is killing MK:

- off the side with Dsmash at 120%
- off the top with ftilt at 105%
- off the side with Fsmash at 100%
- off the top with utilt at 89% (grounded, so there's an angle that MK is sent at - hit with the top part of utilt for a lower kill than Usmash)
- off the top with Usmash at 88%
- off the top with uair at 74% (MK is grounded here, so it's going to kill at lower damages in real matches)
- off the side with fair at 69%
- off the side with bair at 62%

Note that this is in the center of FD, and these are all fresh, in a real match. As for a single decay prior to killing (taking into account the moves that I feel would generally be decayed anyway):

- off the side with Dsmash at 132%
- off the top with Fsmash at 118%
- off the side with Usmash at 100%
- off the side with fair at 83%
- off the side with bair at 78%

The rest simply do not matter enough because they're either not used for much of anything but killing or low % combos, or they have other factors that just make this too complicated. (uair, for example, will pretty much never be decayed and hitting MK a second time when he's grounded, so who really cares about that?) He also dies sooner on Battlefield, Smashville, and some CP stages, so you can lower these %s even more if they have less distance for MK to shoot off, thus making her killing power look even better.

Miscellaneous info that helps Zelda look a little flashier:

- Her ftilt, when angled up, still equates, if not beats, all of MK's aerials in range. This angled ftilt can be used to trade hits or just flat out stop MK with SH approaches. However, it's not something that can easily be relied on, so it's not exactly a gamebreaking strategy.

- Her dtilt. Fresh, it can start a lock on MK at 50%, and the MK player must do his best to get out of it by DIing properly away from Zelda. If the move is too fresh and/or if MK's damage is too high, it'll just pop him up in the air with enough hitstun for Zelda to Usmash, utilt, or ftilt MK, It's also a pretty much guaranteed follow-up for Dsmash, as Dsmash comes out one frame sooner.

- She has a few attacks that can break the tornado. Her most viable one is Usmash. Might as well just... move away or shield, though...

- Her out-of-shield options are fantastic. Basically, Usmash, Dsmash, dtilt, fair, bair, nair, and Nayru's Love cover pretty much every situation for her when she needs to leave her shield. Two of those options are the earliest killing aerials in the game, two of them are some of the fastest smash attacks in the game, one can lead into pretty much the larger portion of MK's stock, and the other two are just basic answers that are kinda situational but still usable.

Anyway, as for the actual fight, MK still has an advantage on Zelda. His attacks have nice range and speed on them and a lot of them don't clank. Neither do Zelda's disjointed attacks for that matter, but she has a harder time against swordies in the first place. MK barely outranges Zelda on the ground as far as I know, with dtilt and ftilt generally having a bit more range than Zelda's Fsmash, but her range is still good. Their smash attacks are very identical here, actually. MK's Dsmash is like a slightly buffed Zelda Dsmash (but Zelda's still comes out one frame faster, yay!), MK's Fsmash is worse than Zelda's in every aspect except you can't DI out of his, and his Usmash is slightly weaker and slightly slower than Zelda's. His tilts are his best option for racking up damage on Zelda when he's grounded, along with his better grab, better ground mobility, and somewhat equal throws.

In the air, he still wins (but so do a lot of characters vs. Zelda). However, all it really takes is one well-placed aerial to kill off MK, or at the very least to get him off of Zelda's case for a while. She's weak from below, so he can try to take advantage of that, but slightly poor spacing from his uair can cause him to eat a dair right to the face. Generally speaking, Zelda will prefer to not try to fight back in this position. MK's aerial mobility is not that good; as with the other two Kirby characters, this basically helps her land her kicks on MK. I think I'll just end the aerial combat by saying MK has an advantage in the air, but one mistake can prove fatal, as Zelda is still the queen (princess >_>) of insanely powerful aerials (when sweetspotted, of course), and they put him to rest very early on.

When it comes to edgeguarding Zelda, it should be noted that Zelda's recovery, for all of its faults, will get her past an MK off-stage safely if she warps ahead of time. That said, MK can just wait for her on the other end like most people do to attempt a punish. Other than that, his typical gimp tactics don't work all that well vs. Zelda because her Up B alone still provides excellent distance and a hitbox. Being floaty also helps her to live a bit longer from the sides, and that said, she actually does live a bit longer than MK in this fight.

As for edgeguarding MK, Din's Fire sees some use here. It's typically used when no other move can reach a character somewhere in a top corner of a stage. It's also used against certain characters that float (Peach), are stuck in a certain mode when they Up B (Robot, Pit) and against gliders (Pit, Charizard, and MK). MK's glide attack can clank with Din's, but the point here is he can't glide at her safely. Other than that, it's not really possible to edgeguard MK viably.

So when you look at all of this, you may think, "Wow, what a subpar match-up for Zelda. It looks more like 65:35 or even 70:30 MK! What gives?" The three main reasons, in my opinion, as to why Zelda actually fares quite well against MK (when compared to a large portion of the cast) are:

- Having an answer to everything he has, though obviously she answers to some things (his aerials) better than others (his recovery).

- Having the killing power to get rid of MK early in a stock, as his lightness is still a factor. It's a factor in every fight of course, but Zelda's killing power is now even more fearsome

- Having the attack speed and range to compete with MK's. Their aerials are vastly different, but on the ground, a lot of Zelda's attacks do indeed have some nice speed on them. It's not spectacular, but at the same time, it's nothing to scoff at. Honestly, for the power that her moves have, Zelda's attacks have nice start-up speed, and a lot of her attacks aren't really all that laggy, and of her laggiest ones (Fsmash, Usmash, utilt), only utilt leaves her exposed for a long period of time.

MK still soundly has an advantage on her, but the bottom line is that he needs to make as few mistakes as possible because Zelda is one of the best punishing characters in the game, overall. She doesn't require a favorable stage or "something else" to lay down a punish unlike the Ice Climbers, and she doesn't require a lot of hits to kill him off, meaning she doesn't need that many opportunities to punish in order to succeed. Her recovery is punishable, but she's not that easy to gimp when she's trying to make it back to the stage, unless she is forced to recover low. Her attacks and range are still good, and her defensive abilities (shield, spotdodge, roll, and airdodge), combined, are good. (I believe she has the best spotdodge and airdodge in the game... that is, if Melee's airdodge transfered just fine for her.)

Zelda is deserving of a high tier placement. She should NOT move down. There should be some characters that might be able to move ahead of her (Olimar, in my opinion), but she should not have to move down on her own accord. As for your Marth comment, I believe that in terms of match-up numbers, it's another 60:40 at worst for Marth, but I'm not going to speak for him.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
While you're here, Affinity, would you mind correcting any info I got wrong about MK? Like... gravely incorrect?

Talvi

Smash Journeyman
Kirby should be on top, is one of the few characters that are even with him. And Falco should be mid.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
Falco at mid is a bit ridiculous if you ask me. He's still pretty viable against MK, and that said, I think he still chaingrabs MK while keeping a bit of control with his lasers. Good mobility, too. Not really worth mid tier.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Bowser's not that good vs MK. You will get punished very heavily for any mistake, and Yoshi's grab range is simply better.

Sushi-Man

Smash Ace
I have to agree with staco and brinboy on this one. While lasers and cg are annoying, mk (kinda) ***** falco when they are in close range. Snake on the other hand is better than mk on the ground but has trouble when in the air. Don't get me wrong, falco should still be top tier, but below snake.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
DISCLAIMER: I know I don't know enough about MK to make an actual "best against MK list", these are vague estimations to start a list that I hope people's suggestions will finish. I thought of the idea, searched "Meta Knight Tier", didn't find anything like this, and thought to go ahead and try it. I ALSO DON'T WANT PEOPLE TO INTERPRET THIS AS A TOOL TO EXERCISE SOME DISLIKE OF MK, THIS IS FOR STRATEGIC PURPOSES FOCUSED ON MK BECAUSE LETS FACE IT, WE ALL RECOGNIZE HIS FORMIDABILITY ON A LEVEL ABOVE THE REST OF THE CAST. He was the first brawl character to be considered for a ban after all, and so soon! This is also why I don't think the making of this list constitutes the making of similar lists concerning every other character. He's somewhat of an "outlier"

Since the whole banning thing blew over because it was figured that we need more time to experiment effective strategies against him, I figure someone might want to organize a list of effectiveness. Please make suggestions for reformation.

P.S. The list won't include Meta Knight as a counter for himself

I'm pretty sure before you post you may consider "why did he put *name* here and not there? What an idiot." Well, as far as MK, I pretty much am. I REPEAT: I don't expect my first version to be well organized, so please, only constructive comments.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Pokemon are listed as they are before getting tired)

Falco
Snake
Donkey Kong
Bowser
Yoshi
Diddy Kong

High
Zero-Suit Samus
Marth
Zelda
Lucario
Ice Climbers
Game&Watch
Olimar
Pikachu
Fox
Luigi
Wario

Middle
King Dedede
Wolf
ROB
Kirby
Pit
Toon Link
Charizard
Mario
Lucas
Peach

Low
Shiek
Squirtle
Ike
Ness
Sonic
Samus
Ivysaur
Link
Jigglypuff
Captain Falcon
Ganondorf
Ness below Lucas? No way.
Lucas is at a 3-7 disadvantage, while Ness is 4-6. Ness also actually has a auto PKT2 tech on MK, but it's hard to do. Seriously, WTF?

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
D3 is decent vs. MK, only because he can't regularly CG MK. Also, considering DDD's weight and speed, MK can do some damage quickly on him. But, DDD can move up some spaces. ^^

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I'd say Ike up two spots to top of low. While for the most part Ike does flat out whooped by MK (Ike in air = death unless MK is stupid), Ike has a few things going for him. First of all, his grab release on MK. MK getting grabbed on FD = free dash attack. Ike's jab comes out on frame 3, which beats out a good number of MK's attacks by a few frames. Most importantly however, is what Ike can do after a single jab with jab canceling. If MK doesn't jump, it's a true combo to either another jab, grab, Dsmash, or Utilt (which kills 1% latter then his Usmash). If MK does jump, he only has a few frames to be able to dodge. It's a small enough window that he can not constantly dodge a follow up to a single jab. This, combined with stages with low ceilings gives Ike a very small fighting chance.

I'll also through out Ike's SAFs for an honorable mention for uses against MK, and the fact he has a crap load of attacks that hit MK out of the tornado. Fsmash, Usmash, Ftilt, Utilt, Fair, Dair, Eruption, Counter, and Aether all cut through it.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Tell me this (cuz I;m getting some mixed opinions): Diddy Kong > or < to Zamus

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Jigglypuff should be a lot higher. Jigglypuff shouldn't be at the bottom at all.

Go check the Jigglypuff boards and they'll tell you why.

Top Bottom