• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Match-Up Discussion Week #9: Diddy Kong

Count

Smash Champion
Diddy main coming to 'help out'.

I think you guys have a 60-40 advantage. It really isn't so bad, except for us Diddies CANT KO YOUR ROBOT SELVES. We can combo you and combo you, but ROB never dies. ROB vs diddy is a fun matchup though, other than those annoying projecties ^_^

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Diddy vs. ROB...hmm

I've never played another Diddy but Diddy is my secondary...

I'd imagine that this matchup is really about who can control the bananas, because ROB is huge and would get comboed like a mother ****er. Dash attack would really screw ROB up...ROB needs to concentrate on spacing with ftilt and gyros to interrupt those nasty dash attack and nanner combos. So having a gyro on the stage at all times (like against pikachu) = good.

This isn't a matchup we should fight up close...we win in the air but on the ground, we get *****. ROB shouldn't approach much here, he should stay back and really use his projectiles. This is one of those "must-camp" matchups that us ROBs love so much -_-;.

55-45 ROB imo, because Diddy can't really do much when being camped. This is one of those times you'd want to go to BF instead of FD, Diddy players.

Seppoku

Smash Cadet
I've done this match about 10x a week since the release of the game... ROB has the advantage by 60-40... his lazers and gyros push diddy back off of his bananas and leave them for the taking.

learn glide tossing, and rob can tear diddy to shreds... the best move to use against diddy is ROBs down A as it counters diddy's down A quite well. You can side dodge out of Diddy's , then follow with your own down a and it will always counter...

this really is an easy match for ROB to win.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
I've done this match about 10x a week since the release of the game... ROB has the advantage by 60-40... his lazers and gyros push diddy back off of his bananas and leave them for the taking.

learn glide tossing, and rob can tear diddy to shreds... the best move to use against diddy is ROBs down A as it counters diddy's down A quite well. You can side dodge out of Diddy's , then follow with your own down a and it will always counter...

this really is an easy match for ROB to win.
basicly summd it up i 2nd main rob so spotdodging downsmash is actually quite useful here. just control,the nannerz glidetoss when needed to approach. hold the lazer until it rises in knockback (to kill diddy while in his sideb/upb) and gyro spam like teh crazeh xD. basicly spacing is key here. just keep in mind...one trip = several combos. so be warned of nanners. diddy is just an overall very aggressive character but be warned he can go from both defensive to offensive in a matter of seconds its very easy to change momentum of the match with diddy just space well and the match is rob's. only way a diddy can win is if the rob is up close and personal honestly cause diddy doesnt have anyway of killing or producing enough damage from a distance compared to rob. were the ones forced to approach

ADHD

Smash Hero
Fairly even to ROB's advantage. Diddy can utilt ROB if he DI's his downsmash before 40%. Also barrel spiking rob isn't that hard since he recovers from down below. Rob's gyro and laser are the only annoying things really, up close diddy does well if he can avoid the spotdodge to dsmash. Rob is hard to kill as well since he's heavy.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
This is one of the matches that spotdodge->dsmash still works really well in. If they are about to glidetoss at you, spotdodge the banana and dsmash and it will beat pretty much whatever they're trying to do, and it's not really punishable. Be careful if they start it very close or they space themselves perfectly so the banana will land where you're standing. In those cases you want to roll instead of spotdodge. Basically, you really don't want to get caught in your shield. The Diddy player wants you to shield the banana, because Diddy ***** shields. Stupid virtually unshieldgrabbable dash attack.

As long as you avoid Diddy's fsmash, dsmash, and fair, he will pretty literally never be able to kill you. That's easier said than done though. His fair has a lot of priority, but it's only dangerous if he saves it, which Diddy players rarely do. His spike isn't dangerous until you're around 100%, and your uair beats it anyway.

ROB's fair ***** all of Diddy's recovery options. Just space yourself right and he should never make it back once he's off (well, easier said than done).

One of the most important things about this matchup, and one of the most misunderstood, is that you should NOT try to use Diddy's bananas against him. Diddy is built to use items especially well. He can utilize them 1000 times better than ROB can. Don't even try it. Just grab them and toss them off the ledge immediately. Even if you manage to land a 2-hit glidetoss combo on him, that puts a banana on the stage which he can now use against you to much greater effect. And if he shields or spotdodges it, he might avoid damage altogether. JUST GET RID OF EM!!! Diddy without bananas is like Popo without Nana, weak and useless. ROB destroys Diddy in the air and on the ground when there are no bananas around.

If there are bananas around Diddy, just run away and camp until you can get him to waste them or you can toss them off the stage yourself and get back to fighting. Don't be afraid to be aggressive *gasp ROB?* when there are no bananas around. You biggest goal should be to keep Diddy's bananas out of his hands, and it's a lot harder to pull bananas when someone's beating your *** up close.

Ban FD! There is really no other choice. Diddy ***** on FD. The most you can do here is try to ledgecamp but Diddy excels at dislodging ledgecampers, and once you're on the stage you're completely at his mercy. Seriously, **** this stage.

Counterpicks: Diddy gets hard-countered by a bunch of stages. He can't do **** on Norfair, Rainbow Cruise, or Jungle Japes. Frigate ain't bad either, especially the 1st part since his recovery is a piece of crap. Norfair is my personal favorite against him though, because you won't die stupidly there like you might on RC or JJ, but it still completely nullifies his banana game and Diddy is Captain Falcon tier without it.

That's all I can say for now. MD/VA has a bunch of good Diddy players but I don't have a whole lot of experience in the matchup yet. Even though I still have trouble, I'd agree with 60/40 ROB. It's started going a lot better for me recently now that I've started to figure the matchup out (and stopped trying to use his bananas against him :p)

Esca

Smash Champion
Diddy vs ROB is 60/40 R.O.B. He gimps WAYY TOO EASY. END OF STORY.

AAND **** YOU SUDAI YOU PIECE OF LOUISIANA **** ***** **** *** MOTHER ****ER!!

EDIT: JCAESAR, you're wrong. His dash attack isn't very hard to shield grab. And your not supposed to roll in any Diddy matchup.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Diddy's got a vag in OP.

I just find it 60/40 ROB. ROB can throw out of Diddy's glide toss, you can gimp his recovery and ROB can camp more easily than Diddy.

ADHD

Smash Hero
You shouldn't be gimping diddys often, unless they're bad. Of course ROB can gimp him, but it's difficult to because diddy will only be horizontally offstage in this matchup, there's no reason for him to go below it really. Also he won't get fair'd into the KO zone unless it's at higher percents. Diddy has a side b, and can use it alot... ROB can get barrel spike chained to the death if diddy is on the ledge and ROB is coming up directly below it.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Diddy is just an improved version of Sonic: he's not really that good, you just have to learn the matchup AKA how to play with banana peels flying everywhere. That's just my opinion of him in general. *shrug*

Spot dodges don't really work as well as some of you claim, a lot of those bananas just stop inside your hurtbox and trip you. ;( I'd say more shieldgrabbing but, really, just stay in the air. You can't trip in mid-air and grabbing thrown bananas with FAir or Air Dodging is a cinch. All your aerials zone him and he's not particularly effective at attacking ROB's blind spot, too slow in the air and no reach.

ITT Jceaz is a wuss. Use those peels! Even if you're not going to use them yourself, throw them upward behind you and make him work to regain control of them. Throwing them off-stage just lets Diddy pull out another one with his Down-B, which start under his control and pop out right behind him. You know what Diddy does when you throw a banana back at him? He cries like a ***** because ROB spaces the crap out of him. Dash Attack is kinda tricky but FAir/FTilt from behind a banana peel can push him around all day and you've got a truckload of projectiles at your disposal.

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
Diddy is just an improved version of Sonic: he's not really that good, you just have to learn the matchup AKA how to play with banana peels flying everywhere. That's just my opinion of him in general. *shrug*

Spot dodges don't really work as well as some of you claim, a lot of those bananas just stop inside your hurtbox and trip you. ;( I'd say more shieldgrabbing but, really, just stay in the air. You can't trip in mid-air and grabbing thrown bananas with FAir or Air Dodging is a cinch. All your aerials zone him and he's not particularly effective at attacking ROB's blind spot, too slow in the air and no reach.

ITT Jceaz is a wuss. Use those peels! Even if you're not going to use them yourself, throw them upward behind you and make him work to regain control of them. Throwing them off-stage just lets Diddy pull out another one with his Down-B, which start under his control and pop out right behind him. You know what Diddy does when you throw a banana back at him? He cries like a ***** because ROB spaces the crap out of him. Dash Attack is kinda tricky but FAir/FTilt from behind a banana peel can push him around all day and you've got a truckload of projectiles at your disposal.
Diddy is NOT an improved version of sonic in any way shape or form. Diddy kong is top of the high tier and he places well and does well in tournaments / doesnt only spin like Sonic. You can be much more head on vs a diddy than you can a sonic. You want to be approaching diddy. Glidetossing / Bair approach is probobly your best bet. Camping with lasers and gyros however work as well.

I would put ROB vs Diddy neutral at 45/55 ROB

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Believe what you want, but I started doing A LOT better against Diddys when I stopped trying to use their bananas against them. Diddy is just nothing without them. And he can't pull them out all that fast. As long as you're being aggressive you can punish when he uses down-B.

EDIT: JCAESAR, you're wrong. His dash attack isn't very hard to shield grab. And your not supposed to roll in any Diddy matchup.
Oh, and what dash attack is harder to shieldgrab? Maybe Peach's, but it doesn't combo as well as Diddy's. Diddy's dash attack has multiple hits and very little cooldown after the last one, so if you count the hits wrong or your timing is slightly off then you get comboed to hell.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
Matchup is hard so. U need to glidetoss into gab cbos turn camp hard dodys recovery is predictable u guys need to play better diddys. Obviously in robs favor bcut just by a little and jc is right throw one bannana out don't throw both

Omg edit- LOL I'm typing with my iPod touch I usually don't sound like an idiot I just don't wanna to fix the grammar fighting on smashville then cp rc or norfwir is too good here

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Believe what you want, but I started doing A LOT better against Diddys when I stopped trying to use their bananas against them. Diddy is just nothing without them. And he can't pull them out all that fast. As long as you're being aggressive you can punish when he uses down-B.
Being aggressive is certainly the way to go here, but you should still keep the bananas on the stage. His Down-B is punishable but he knows that too, keeping bananas on-stage but out of the action (behind you or high in the air) physically prevents him from pulling another one out at all. It's like stealing ROB's Gyro, it's an extra measure of annoyance for Diddy, except it's more than a mere annoyance to him...

Or you can just stay in the air and not play his game. You can't trip in mid-air, he can't combo or shield pressure you into grabs in the air, glide tossing is ineffective against you in the air. What's he going to do, clash FAirs or try to out-camp ROB with peanuts and bananas? It's the "gay" way to fight him but oh-so-easy victory.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
In my opinion, ROB catches banana, ROB begins to ****.

If you learn glidetossing, you pretty much have the game in the bag, maybe this will even force your opponent so stop using bananas.

Sudai

Stuff here
Definitely fight without bananas. I usually get 1 stock, low percented or two stock, high percented by Lee Martin's Diddy. I read JCZ post last night during a fest and decided to try just getting bananas off the stage and keeping them away from him. I went from never winning to winning about 50% of the time. Stay on diddy's *** and keep the bananas away. Coming from the guy who almost always says "camp more", don't ****ing camp. Haha.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
The gyro messes up Diddys approaching skills so much that your forced to throw your banana peel in the air instead of glide tossing. Since the gyro gets in the way and ROB shields them since most ROB players sit there and camp til the Diddy player loses its patience. You just have to watch out for Diddy's Nair when your close up because they pretty much know that Rob will spam the dsmash and Diddy's Nair move is pretty effective IMO.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
In this match, ROB's stage control is better than Diddy's assuming he gets the bananas. However if the Diddy is good that won't happen for the majority of the match...

If the ROB is aggresive then I'd personally count that as a blessing, although you guys seem to think it is a good counter strategy. An agressive ROB means that you can force mid-range combat and have no problem landing the bananas. It makes combos much easier when the ROB approaches for you. If the ROB does not try to stop Diddy's banana control, then the ROB will be in a slippery mess.

ROB should try to throw the bananas away from Diddy, but not off the stage. This forces Diddy to play with one less banana until he can get the other one (or until it expires), and that sucks.

Also, pick stages with lots and lots of platforms.

You just have to watch out for Diddy's Nair when your close up because they pretty much know that Rob will spam the dsmash and Diddy's Nair move is pretty effective IMO.

....N-Air?? You can't be serious, that move is bad. ROB's should'nt be the slightest bit worried about the N-Air... But Diddy does have a meteor smash, so watch out for that.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Spiking ROB is an afterthought. Being aggressive for ROB is the best action here because Diddy's Down-B is punishably slow, rather like being aggressive on Olimar to prevent him from plucking Pikmin except much easier in this case. Keeping pressure on Diddy prevents him from pulling out banana peels until he can knock ROB away, unless he wants to give him free shots, which plays to ROB's advantage due to his superior range and weight.

Fighting with or without bananas is a preference thing. Personally, I don't see why you wouldn't learn to fight with them instead of just throwing them off the stage, but that's just me. We all know ROB's glide toss is good and spacing from behind a banana peel you control is all the worse for Diddy to compete with. Keeping them away from Diddy still doesn't necessitate throwing them OFF the stage, though. :/ On this note, not that you need a counterpick but Wario makes for a hilarious matchup.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
The gyro messes up Diddys approaching skills so much that your forced to throw your banana peel in the air instead of glide tossing. Since the gyro gets in the way and ROB shields them since most ROB players sit there and camp til the Diddy player loses its patience. You just have to watch out for Diddy's Nair when your close up because they pretty much know that Rob will spam the dsmash and Diddy's Nair move is pretty effective IMO.
I think most people know by now that they can just run up and shield to get rid of the gyro. You might get a free laser in but a gyro sitting on the stage doesn't really help camping unless you happen to be sitting right behind it. i.e. it doesn't really make it harder to approach. Also, wtf @ Diddy's nair o_O

If the ROB is aggresive then I'd personally count that as a blessing, although you guys seem to think it is a good counter strategy. An agressive ROB means that you can force mid-range combat and have no problem landing the bananas. It makes combos much easier when the ROB approaches for you. If the ROB does not try to stop Diddy's banana control, then the ROB will be in a slippery mess.
ROB should only be aggressive when Diddy doesn't have a banana in his hands, because any attempt to pull a banana or pick one up can be punished, but if he already has a banana in his hands he's in a great position. If he does get ahold of a banana, ROB should run away and camp until he can get Diddy to throw it away.

ROB should try to throw the bananas away from Diddy, but not off the stage. This forces Diddy to play with one less banana until he can get the other one (or until it expires), and that sucks.
Eh, I feel more comfortable just throwing them off. The banana pull is punishable (and if you punish it, you should have time to throw the new banana off as well), and if you leave the banana on the stage, Diddy can just roll or airdodge through an attack and run over and pick it up. ROB might get a couple lasers in, but it's not worth the damage potential of a Diddy with a banana. Like I said before, JUST GET RID OF EM!!!

But Diddy does have a meteor smash, so watch out for that.
ROB says :laugh: to spikes.

Spiking ROB is an afterthought. Being aggressive for ROB is the best action here because Diddy's Down-B is punishably slow, rather like being aggressive on Olimar to prevent him from plucking Pikmin except much easier in this case. Keeping pressure on Diddy prevents him from pulling out banana peels until he can knock ROB away, unless he wants to give him free shots, which plays to ROB's advantage due to his superior range and weight.
Exactly what I've been trying to say! If you just toss them off, then Diddy will be focused more on trying to pull new bananas than actually fighting, and you can **** them up and down the stage. Just toss that **** outta here!

Fighting with or without bananas is a preference thing. Personally, I don't see why you wouldn't learn to fight with them instead of just throwing them off the stage, but that's just me. We all know ROB's glide toss is good and spacing from behind a banana peel you control is all the worse for Diddy to compete with. Keeping them away from Diddy still doesn't necessitate throwing them OFF the stage, though. :/ On this note, not that you need a counterpick but Wario makes for a hilarious matchup.
ROB's glidetoss combo damage potential is nowhere near Diddy's. Diddy is also much better at picking up enemy bananas than ROB is. It's just not worth the risk. ROB completely outclasses a bananaless Diddy, even moreso when the Diddy is just trying to pull new bananas because you keep throwing them off the stage.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
....N-Air?? You can't be serious, that move is bad. ROB's should'nt be the slightest bit worried about the N-Air...
I think what he meant was that Diddys can use N-air if they are expecting the ROB to spot-dodge into D-smash. The n-air should last through the spot-dodge and hit before the d-smash comes out.
It then pops him up for a u-tilt and aerials.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Like someone said, longer glidetosses are overrated. It's so predictable on what ROB is going to do with the banana if he has it in his hand, its better to just camp a little longer and keep him wondering.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
What I do with the banana, is I just keep it until I use the lazer > gyro > lazer thing on diddy and he's closing in, after that I'll either just toss of the edge, glide toss away and throw away or glide toss to/away toss up.
But Diddy does have a meteor smash, so watch out for that.
Not sure who said that...but you do know that if ROB has barely any fuel left, he can still make it back, right? His robo-buster will stop all vertical momentum from a spike and start going straight up.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Not sure who said that...but you do know that if ROB has barely any fuel left, he can still make it back, right? His robo-buster will stop all vertical momentum from a spike and start going straight up.
To be fair, any 2nd jump or up-B does that. It's really just that ROB is the hardest character in the game to spike, and if he doesn't die outright he's going to make it back regardless.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
55-45 ROB imo, because Diddy can't really do much when being camped. This is one of those times you'd want to go to BF instead of FD, Diddy players.
Checkmate. A near-perfect assessment that resonates with my personal reasoning. I love Battlefield anyway, but it will always be my stage of preference against any ROB player.

Seppoku

Smash Cadet
Some helpful tips (not sure why I keep helping the ROBS out... hate that darn robot) if you throw the bananas down and then use your down a attack, it will push the banana out from under you and slip up diddy even if he shields the down a spin.

the top is very good against most diddys, because it isn't as easy as bananas to pick up... and shielding over the gyro takes a second or 2 of spinning to make it disappear...

the easiest way to kill diddy In my opinion is to wait until he grabs onto the ledge and when he attempts to get back onto the stage, use your neutral air. Diddys attack recovery is slow and takes too much time and leaves him vulnerable when he is climbing back onto the stage.. diddy's di is too slow and can be easily countered by the neutral air...

A lot of people here keep saying to get rid of the bananas, but I don't think thats a good idea... the bananas are really easy to acquire and really easy to keep if you keep the gyro and the lazers out... good luck guys.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Well I beat Jose and Saki with G&W X_X so I haven't used R.O.B. much in this matchup.

At MAGfest the other day, my first round battle was a Diddy player who knew most of the basics to diddy playing (it's so easy these days to run into these)

It was so annoying. I just threw the freaking bananas off the stage if I got them. Every time I tried to use them against him, even if I hit him with it he would just go pick it up again and do another banana combo to me.

Just keep spitting the Gyro out on the stage, just to be in the way of things. Even if they shield it to make it go away, they have to stop, which gives you time to be aggressive and close in on him. Diddy is annoying for anyone to fight, but don't let that stop you. One thing I noticed Diddy's all seem to do a lot is roll behind you. I'm not sure why this is, but they all do it for some reason.

Save Nair for the kill? Rack damage with Laser/Gyro/Dmash/Tilts/fair

gimping really isn't a probably option against smart players, so I wouldn't have that on your mind too much. A better thing to do would be to set up for a spike when diddy comes out of forward b, as 99% of diddy's will do this first, just try and read them, too funz

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
This is a match that I particularly like to ledge camp more. I got the chance to play AZ's diddy and I could only win as ROB. Its hard to hit with bananas if you arent on the stage, and it is also good to get them to attempt to run off and try to spike (which is too tempting sometimes) and its not too dificult to gimp them during the lag of diddy's d-air. Caught bananas went offstage and I only turned offensive when bananas were not constantly in my face or when none were currently in play.

Top Bottom