• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meatknight is not Broken! aka How to beat Sonic [WIP]

Tenki

Smash Hero
In an obvious parody of the various "Metaknight is not Broken" threads that go ahead and tell people how to take advantage of Metaknight's weaknesses, I'm going to give a quick overview of Sonic moveset and move tendency issues, starting from the most obvious and common ones, down to nuances in more advanced situations.

This is all in an effort to both break down Sonic's metagame as we understand it, and, if it turns out well, it will help further the metagame, if you as a community, can get past it.

I guess you can say I'm grilling this steak in a way that removes excess fat.

Sonic's Disadvantages
- Aerial max speed is significantly lower than his running speed.
- Most moves have noticeable startup time (fast movement, but attack speed doesn't match)
- His horizontal aerial reach is limited (in front of him)
- Cannot auto-catch ledges from up-B
- Some moves have noticeable commitment.

Down-B Direct Approach (ground)
THIS MOVE IS NOT TOO FAST TO PUNISH.
With correct timing, it's possible to grab Sonic out of this move. Alot of characters' aerials are disjointed, and performing a SH defensive aerial (For example, Pit's SH D-air, Ganon's SH D-air) can easily knock Sonic out of this.

Spindash Combo
A common followup to a grounded down-B making contact with you is to jump and immediately start an aerial. Sonic's aerials have very little reach behind him (except for B-air, which has noticeable startup time). Do they hit you with a spindash > F-air? Do they do spindash > N-air? Shield the spindash and immediately jump a U-air out of shield. Characters with faster B-airs can improvise and pull this off, but you get the idea.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LOIOerDsRA
2:15 - Even Falcon can counter this move tendency with a U-air out of shield.

Dash Attack
"Sweetspot" Dash Attack (beginning of the move hits you)
Tap shield (minimize wasted time in shield), turn around and attack Sonic, either with a dashgrab, dash attack, or whatever move you feel fit.

Early Dash Attack (latter part of the move hits you)
Take the hit, and counter with D-air. Some Sonics feel like using a spring as you're falling is a good move. If you get caught in the spring, use an aerial as you're rising, and you're bound to catch Sonic as he's rising with you.

Homing Attack
This is Sonic's most underrated and most committed move. It's quite obvious for people to airdodge when they see Sonic charging the Homing Attack. However, this is NOT always the best answer, depending on where you are.

Onstage: close range
You can shield the Homing Attack and after it hits your shield, IMMEDIATELY jump and U-air, or use your punishment move of choice. It also tends to aim for the side that's further away from Sonic, approaching from above, so things like Ganondorf U-smash, reverse Snake U-tilt, etc. They should and have worked.

Onstage: mid range
Try walking or running away from the homing attack. If you space this correctly, Sonic will attempt to chase after you, hover horizontally above the ground for a bit, and fall into horrible landing lag.

Onstage: in the air
If you jump upwards, Sonic's Homing Attack will attempt to hit you from above- as it starts to move, fastfall. Sonic will then begin to fall, unable to do anything for about SH height.

Off-stage: Sonic on-stage, using HA to try to gimp you
Fastfall when Sonic releases, then double jump B-air to knock him away from the stage.

Edge: Sonic uses Homing Attack, on-level with stage
Drop below the ledge, and stagespike/spike Sonic when he enters aerial lag state.

Edge: Sonic is below the ledge and is using Homing Attack to recover
Spotdodge or airdodge, and he'll most likely fall too low to be able to spring up, and more likely, die while he's in aerial lag state.

Homing Stall
CONTRARY TO POPULAR OPINION... Going out of Sonic's range does NOT break his Homing Stall. In fact, it helps it. If noone is in range, the Homing Attack will bounce Sonic along the ceiling in the direction he's facing. If you ARE in range, it will move towards you, and after being under you, move left and right indefinitely. Easy way to get someone disqualified for stalling, or to make the Sonic player suicide in frustration.

Remember to drag him towards the center of the stage so he can't float towards the edge and spring back.​

Spring

Spring>D-air
Don't be fooled by your scrubby friends, D-air can be done so that Sonic has little-no landing lag.

But this doesn't mean it's futile to try to punish the landing. D-air is also quite committed in that it will only travel a certain path. And in fact, some characters can grab Sonic out of the D-air (on-stage grab gimp bait). If Sonic springs to escape you, pay attention to the direction he's facing, then run (or roll) in the direction he's facing and prepare a punishment move. Lucas players can pull off a U-smash. Awesome.

Aerial Spring drop > D-air
This one's a little trickier. Sonic uses an aerial spring so that the spring blocks your path, making it safe to do a retreating D-air. However, powershield the falling spring, and you can punish Sonic all the same.

Grab Gimp
Using any grab-style move on Sonic if he up-B's near the ledge, and releasing him (WITHOUT DEALING ANY DAMAGE), is a guaranteed death for Sonic. You also don't have to be near the ledge for this to happen.

For example, if Yoshi grabs Sonic as he's landing from 1/4 of FD from the edge, and air releases, Sonic will still die.

If you grab Sonic as he's landing in the middle of the stage, and grab release, he will still be in this 'airtrip' state until he jumps and lands again. I've grabbed a Sonic out of spring from the center of the stage, jumped off-stage, and laughed as he airtripped on his attempt to chase after me.

Invincible?
Sonic has invincibility frames from the time he leaves the spring, until about full hop height over it. He rises for a little less than his shorthop height, then he can airdodge. That window is your chance to attack.

Some Sonics like to avoid grab gimping by falling below the stage and using spring so they can airdodge past the edge. You can hang on the ledge and SH a spike (Ganondorf's is most noticeable, since it covers so much vertical range), or even drop down and go for a stage spike, as long as you know where the vulnerability window is.

F-air
This move can be seen used in different ways, from shield poking, landcamping, all the way up to gimping and projectile destruction. It's definitely one of Sonic's best moves, and also his quickest overall aerial. But too bad, it's multi-hit.
Defending against it
Obviously, if Sonic fastfalls this before it finishes, there's noticeable and punishable ending lag. If you shield it, remember to tilt your shield accordingly so it doesn't shieldpoke. Just like Metaknight's F-air, it has a bit of aerial dead time after the last hitbox goes away, so release shield immediately and punish it either by jumping an aerial out of shield, or by attacking out of shield with something quick. Due to his aerial acceleration sucking so much, Sonic cannot retreat this aerial unless it was done from a standing jump, so you can use that to grab him.

Getting hit in midair
If you're on-stage, SDI/DI downwards. This makes it quicker for you to reach the ground, and puts Sonic in a position to airdodge, double jump, or spring.

If you're off-stage, Sonic will most likely be falling, so SDI/DI upwards and try to footstool Sonic to gain/regain lost height.

Of course, if you get hit by this and it's an "early" F-air, you can't SDI out of it, as you will get launched almost as soon as it touches you, as the sweetspot (tip of Sonic's head) is on the last hit of the attack.

Aerial Approaches in General
Sonic's aerial speed is top-notch. His aerial acceleration is trash though. This means that if he's jumping an aerial towards you (commitment time goes to aerial length), he cannot retreat it. It's similar to Metaknight's problem, but kind of worse, since Sonic doesn't have the aerial reach on most of his moves to be able to make up for it.

Outprioritize
If you have a disjointed aerial, use it while retreating. This minimizes the chances of it hitting you, as Sonic is stuck in commitment time to the aerial.​

F-tilt
This has deceptively long range. It's almost as long as Marth's F-smash. The main issue with F-tilt is that it shieldpokes with its double hit. Tilt your shield and make sure it covers the first and last part of the hitbox.​

D-tilt
Sonic can juggle people at low%'s with D-tilt. It's a surprisingly useful move for Sonic, and the tipper D-tilt can trip people. But don't be fooled - DI upwards if he's juggling you, and either double jump or, if you have a quick aerial (eg, Marth), take the it and counterattack with F-air.​

Throws
The general rule is that if you DI the direction the throw is sending you, and it's meant to be a 'combo' or setup throw, then doing DI to send yourself further will make it more difficult for the character to follow you up.
So here are the directions that the throw will send you I highlight the direction that DI has more of an effect for, if you DI the same direction it's throwing.:
U-throw: up/behind Sonic
F-throw: diagonally up/away in front of Sonic
B-throw: diagonally up/away behind Sonic.
D-throw: Horizontally (slightly upwards) in front of Sonic.

D-throw, however, is an interesting exception.
D-throw
This move sends people very low to the ground. If you hit the ground, you're going to be prey to Sonic's techchasing game. However, there is a way to avoid hitting the ground. If you hold Upwards, you can gain enough airtime to keep Sonic from hitting you with a followup, and buy yourself the time to counterattack if he does try. You can airdodge before you hit the ground, or just double jump. Another thing you can do is to just wait until before you hit the floor and hit shield to tech it. More recently, it was found that if you hold downwards, you can make Sonic launch you into the floor directly in front of him. Tech it, and counterattack with a fast move, like jabs. Except for Jigglypuff, whose DI strangely doesn't affect the throw at all until 139%. What a loser.​

Tenki

Smash Hero
Double post for misc stuff later on.

Break time.

More to come.
Sneak Peak:

F-air, D-throw, F-tilt, D-tilt

U-smash, D-smash, grab tendencies

<3

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
This is a bad idea.

It's player dependent on match up knowledge. Making the assumption the people don't know how to beat Sonic is wrong. He's not dominant, he's not good.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I'm tired of people not putting an effort to punish me.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
This won't really advice is Meta game. There reason Sonic is doing well isn't because people don't know how to beat him. It's because he's better than first though. That's what everyone in the tier list thread keeps going on about. Sonic is not unbeatable. I get punished all the time by non-sonic mainers.

This thread is similar to the 'Sonic just got worst' thread.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
This won't really advice is Meta game. There reason Sonic is doing well isn't because people don't know how to beat him. It's because he's better than first though. That's what everyone in the tier list thread keeps going on about. Sonic is not unbeatable. I get punished all the time by non-sonic mainers.

This thread is similar to the 'Sonic just got worst' thread.
I disagree Chis. The more that people learn about Sonic and how to punish his abilities, the more forced we are to find ways around it to avoid being punished.

I still rarely get punished after SDRing into someone. It screws with my mind.

Mindgamez u?

Flayl

Smash Hero
What happens when SBR can't john about players losing against Sonic because they didn't know the matchup?

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Nice title there, Tenki. Spring and dair make Shutte Loop much less effective for MK than it ususally is in other matchups.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
I disagree Chis. The more that people learn about Sonic and how to punish his abilities, the more forced we are to find ways around it to avoid being punished.

Mindgamez u?
Am I right in saying this thread is in response to the SBRB saying people don't know the match so that's why he's doing so well? That assumption had been shut down by multiple members. We already know Sonic's weakness, so we learn to player: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196545

Tenki

Smash Hero
Am I right in saying this thread is in response to the SBRB saying people don't know the match so that's why he's doing so well? That assumption had been shut down by multiple members. We already know Sonic's weakness, so we learn to player: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196545
I didn't read much from the superbathroombreak about that, but it was more of taking my post from here and spurring it on to see whether or not my idea is correct.

Also, it will make my Sonic dittos more interesting.

We as a community know Sonic's weaknesses, but lesser-explored are the tiny things that we've built our game on. Back then, it was a call to abuse Sonic's feinting ability. Now it's a matter of weeding out our punishable habits, or at least, raising awareness of them.

And by doing so...

Mindgamez u?

it in turn helps to develop our metagame.

Just imagine what would have happened if we built a mountain of moves and developed the whole metagame based off of D-throw to have it fall apart now. To weed out things like that from happening, we find answers to it now.

Interestingly enough, the D-throw weakness isn't as bad as it seems. I already found pseudo-chaingrabs and stock-taking baits based off of the D-throw issue.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Of course.

If Sonic is worthy of F-tier, this will backfire hard.

<3

Boxob.

Smash Lord
I think Tenki is mindgaming people to try to play offensive VS Sonic.

In which case, I love you.

Although even if that isn't your intent, it'll happen anyway.

:093:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
it in turn helps to develop our metagame.

Just imagine what would have happened if we built a mountain of moves and developed the whole metagame based off of D-throw to have it fall apart now. To weed out things like that from happening, we find answers to it now.

Interestingly enough, the D-throw weakness isn't as bad as it seems. I already found pseudo-chaingrabs and stock-taking baits based off of the D-throw issue.
I must've missed something, as this is the third time I've heard about something dealing with Dthrow.

What the hell are you talking about? Inform me.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I still think this is a good idea

Not letting people know Sonic's weaknesses can 1. Affect you when finally come up against a very good player as you don't know how to get around someone who knows how to get around you and 2. Simply not telling people only prolongs the issue right?

If you don't address weaknesses now and don't find out just how people will get around them, like Tenki said, 'to weed out things like that from happening, we find the answers to it now'

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Sonic is the Meatknight of F Tier.

Hmm...

Why are all the Sonics trying to break him and mike him worse? lol, jk.

I actually think this is a good idea...for the reasons stated by Tenki and Puffball...I'm too slow...

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
You can tech D-Throw, during the actual throw animation. Not like, after the throw is over only. I believe you DI down and just tech.
I don't know why, but I can't understand what you are trying to say.

Are you saying that you can tech the Dthrow AS it's damage animation is happening, or afterward?

If it's afterward, I don't see why it would be any problem.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Are you saying that you can tech the Dthrow AS it's damage animation is happening, or afterward?

If it's afterward, I don't see why it would be any problem.
IMMEDIATLEY after Sonic is done dealing out damage and "launches" the enemy, you can DI down and tech IMMEDIATLEY and land DIRECTLY IN FRONT of Sonic. At first, we thought the ending lag from the throw animation was long enough for characters like Jiggz to get in a free rest or something, but now we're realzing characters can only really get in a jab at best.

Tenki

Smash Hero
D-throw updated, as well as some minor info on problems I see that people are getting away with on tilts.
D-throw, however, is an interesting exception.
D-throw
This move sends people very low to the ground. If you hit the ground, you're going to be prey to Sonic's techchasing game. However, there is a way to avoid hitting the ground. If you hold Upwards, you can gain enough airtime to keep Sonic from hitting you with a followup, and buy yourself the time to counterattack if he does try. You can airdodge before you hit the ground, or just double jump. Another thing you can do is to just wait until before you hit the floor and hit shield to tech it. More recently, it was found that if you hold downwards, you can make Sonic launch you into the floor directly in front of him. Tech it, and counterattack with a fast move, like jabs. Except for Jigglypuff, whose DI strangely doesn't affect the throw at all until 139%. What a loser.​

break time.

Shugo-Chan

Smash Lord
Ahaha i think both Chis and Puff are right because, saying all these weaknesses could make him way worse than he already is, or let Sonic mains enhance their metagame by finding ways around these weaknesses. It's like 50/50 if you think about it O: although it could depend on who is more determined to do which. I would love to try to find ways around these unfortunate weaknesses.

Tenki

Smash Hero
A large majority of these moves are either things that have been done to me, to other Sonic mains by other people, or done by me to Sonic mains.

They're not really new, except for maybe the d-throw one, but I saw someone say he's been doing that to MalcolmM, so maybe it's not that new.

These are also things that I consistently try to pull off when I play vs some of you people on wifi when your bad habits are showing, so you get an idea of when you need to mix things up, but it doesn't necessarily work out too well due to input lag.

and in other news, I'd like to publicly thank SonicX580 for being the witness and proof to all of the Homing Attack counters except for Homing Stall.

edit:

and I'd like to point out that no character was ever made better due to lack of matchup experience.

Noone who objects to this thread should have any right to complain about Sonic's tier placement. If anything, this will solidify whether or not Sonic should or shouldn't rise. If you guys can build a better metagame against people who know how to fight against Sonic, and still place, then awesome. Sonic may indeed be ready for the upper tiers.

If you all begin to drop, then Sonic really should be deserving of F and G-tier.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
But how will members of the SBR john when they lose to Sonic now that they know how to punish him?

Homing Attack write-up needs flaming of Homing Attack.

============================================

Sonic's spins are very punishable once you get out of the defensive mindset.

Most people are like "o noes sonic is charging spindash" *spotdodge*

Then the Sonic's like "lul ***" *shield cancels the charge, runs up and grabs them out of post spotdodge lag*

Ganon's stomp is really good against non cancelled Spindash/charges.
I don't like how we've got the advantage on him one bit in our match-up chart </3
Especially considering how Falcon was given a neutral (55:45) ranking. Jab does not **** Sonic.

Tenki

Smash Hero
But how will members of the SBR john when they lose to Sonic now that they know how to punish him?

Homing Attack write-up needs flaming of Homing Attack.

============================================

Sonic's spins are very punishable once you get out of the defensive mindset.

Most people are like "o noes sonic is charging spindash" *spotdodge*

Then the Sonic's like "lul ***" *shield cancels the charge, runs up and grabs them out of post spotdodge lag*

Ganon's stomp is really good against non cancelled Spindash/charges.
I don't like how we've got the advantage on him one bit in our match-up chart </3
Especially how Falcon was given a neutral (55:45) ranking. Jab does not **** Sonic.

lol the thing is, they can't. and won't. John about matchup inexperience and we have this thread. Else, all that's left is to acknowledge that Sonic might in fact be a better character than is currently thought. But that's only if you guys find ways around this and 'heighten the metagame'.

For a while now, I've been saying that spindashes are crappy direct approaches (that is, if the opponent can shield - either standing, walking, or running) because it's so punishable. They're superawesome punishment approaches (when the opponent is in some sort of move-lag) though.

As for the Falcon thing, jab doesn't **** Sonic, but it's just part of the big picture. Falcon can defensively put a beating on Sonic. The Falcon U-airs/B-airs out of shield are so lol against spindash combos.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
So we can stop hearing johns about matchup inexperience against Sonic.

I demand this be moved and stickied in the MK forums.

No Pokeyman because I'm dead serious about that proposition.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Good thread Tenki I hope this link helps http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=207485 so Tenki why make this thread?

That link has NOTHING to do with this thread...

Tenki made this thread so people can learn the Sonic matchup. This way, they all know the advantages they have against us and take advantage of our weaknesses. This way, Sonic will be able to..

A. Learn how to get around these weaknesses and become better.
B. Realize now that people know the match up, Sonic truely just sucks.

This way, people can stop saying "dey onlee loos ta sawnik cuz ov matchupp in xperience"

SonicX580

Smash Lord

That link has NOTHING to do with this thread...

Tenki made this thread so people can learn the Sonic matchup. This way, they all know the advantages they have against us and take advantage of our weaknesses. This way, Sonic will be able to..

A. Learn how to get around these weaknesses and become better.
B. Realize now that people know the match up, Sonic truely just sucks.

This way, people can stop saying "dey onlee loos ta sawnik cuz ov matchupp in xperience"

Well the title did say MK isn't broken and I thought that meant that to put MK releated stuff.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Meatknight, not Metaknight, silly.

You should understand that with my typing speed and usual post history, my typos are intentional lol.

Now that you know it's talking about how to beat Sonic, read it again.

edit/response to next post:
No, I main Pichu.

SonicX580

Smash Lord
Meatknight, not Metaknight, silly.

You should understand that with my typing speed and usual post history, my typos are intentional lol.

Now that you know it's talking about how to beat Sonic, read it again.
Uhuh I'll get rid of my link so I'am guessing you're a Meatknight mainer now anyways later.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Great thread, thanks for doing this.

And Roy is too good.

:roymelee:
Sonic is more like the Roy of Brawl, not Pichu ;o

EDIT: LOL, after I posted this I realized you changed your character icon to Pichu.
imust lrn2maekconections

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
What Tenki's doing in essense is what the people from other character boards should be doing themselves. And we're meant to be anti-social </3

Also, Roy is better. But we shouldn't spam up this thread, considering it may lead to be a longlasting thread.

:roymelee:

Tenki

Smash Hero
Quick, someone re-rail it with some stupid stuff you've seen in Sonic dittos on wifi that you wouldn't let that person get away with offline.

+iwantcontributions.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
So you can tech dthrow immediately?

Doesn't seem like a big issue, really.
Except maybe for people like Snake and Meatknight.

Oh well, something will just have to be done about this.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
As I recall, Puffy, MK can't do ****.

His tech is slow, so he only gets a one frame advantage over Sonic, so his dsmash can be powershielded.

Usmash is very punishable. Why people suggest using is against multijump characters (like Jiggz) with the ability to space aerials is beyond me.

Top Bottom