• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Turning The Tables: A Guide To Reversing Momentum In Brawl

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Hey Guys, SOLID here, just an idea I hatched in my mind a little while ago, and I wrote out yesterday.

OK, I don't mean literal momentum, if you want to find out about that and other Brawl dynamics, etc. look here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=216700 at ColinJF's thread, which I'd recommend reading, it's quite interesting.

OVERVIEW:

Anyway, back to the topic. The momentum I'm talking about is the flow of the game, how it's going for you and your opponent. If you are controlling the match, then you have positive momentum I'll call it, whereas if your opponent is controlling the match, you have negative momentum I'll say. If you have positive momentum it normally means you have lots of things going for you and your opponent is struggling. The converse is true if your opponent has positive momentum. This momentum constantly changes throughout a match most of the time, unless one player is dominant the entire time.

Reversing Momentum:

If your opponent does have positive momentum in the match, it is crucial for you the player to reverse that momentum and make it yours so you can do well and defeat your opponent. There are many ways to reverse this momentum, and the purpose of this guide is to show you a few ways to do this. If you think I've messed up on something or have something I haven't put up here, don't hesitate to post.

CG's/Grab Infinites:

Sometimes getting one grab while your opponent is in possession of this positive momentum can change a stock or match as a whole, depending on your opponents stock or percentage. Just look at the Ice Climbers, with them it's one grab, one stock if the player can effectively pull off the off the infinite. If the momentum is with your opponent and you are playing as a character that relies heavily on grabs, look for one when trying to regain momentum. These can easily rack up damage, or in some character's cases (Like Falco and the IC's) if executed correctly these can end in a kill. Infinites work the same way, whether it's IC's or D3 vs. Bowser, Mario, Samus, etc. These end in kills always, and are slightly more effective because of this. Grabs can be a very effective way to take away the momentum from your opponent and re verse it to you.

Locks:

Locks are infinites in their own ways. Most aren't technically "infinite," but they effectively rack up damage and are normally initiated my only one move, sometimes under certain conditions though, making the kind that are only possible at a certain time slightly less effective than the others, but still good for giving you momentum. Since most locks are initiated by only one move, they are easy to get your opponent into. Like with Sheik's Ftilt lock, Sheik's Ftilt is a great move and can hit an opponent in many situations. Most locks, Sheik's in this example, only work at lower percentages, but Sheik's can combo into other moves, like her Dsmash or something else. These types don't last forever, but are great for damage and giving you momentum.

The types that are only effective under certain circumstances normally are forever, or off the stage in the case of Falco's Laser Lock. These can occur when an opponent has failed to tech (in the case of Falco's Laser Lock and some others), or against a wall, in the case of Marth's Dtilt lock or Diddy's Ftilt Lock. Many of these types end in kills, like Marth's Dtilt->Dsmash kill. Initiating these locks is often not too hard an can give you the momentum, and potentially a kill.

Spikes/Low Percentage Gimps

Low percentage gimps offstage and spikes can definitely change the flow of the game in your favor. A spike can take off a stock in one hit, and some can be initiated from the safety of the stage on a recovering opponent (like Ike's Dtilt). Since these can take off one stock in only one hit (granted the opponent is at a high enough percent), spikes are the ultimate momentum-changers. The definition of a gimp is a low percentage offstage kill, so when executed correctly these will take off a stock too. These are good at reversing momentum because of this, but the main difference between spikes and gimps is that spikes kill in one move, whereas Gimps normally consist of multiple hits, thus slightly harder to pull off. Despite this, both are great for reversing momentum, and seize a chance you have to pull one of these off as they can give you all the momentum.

Tripping:

If tripping messes up your momentum, there's only one thing you can do. BLAME SAKURAI!!! OK, now that that's out of my system, tripping really does reverse momentum. If someone is attempting to to dash towards you and finish/continue a combo or execute a kill move and finish you off, and then trip (Walking is good people!), you can punish accordingly, possibly even killing them off if their percentage is high enough, or potentially start a combo of your own and rack up damage. Unfortunately, trips aren't normally initiated by either player, unless you have a specific move like Falco's Reflector (Down-B) or MK's DTilt which often trip, and because of this, Tripping works both ways.

Breaking Shields:

This is an obvious one imo, breaking a shield can easily take off a stock, and shield breaking moves (Marth's B is called ShielBreaker lol) work well also. Breaking a shield lets you charge up your strongest move and get a kill if your opponent is at a high enough percentage. Although this can be hard, it is an amazing momentum changer and if presented with the opportunity to break a shield, go for it as the reward is great.

CONCLUSION

Thank you for reading this far, please post any comments, suggestions, questions, concerns, etc. here and I'll fix it accordingly.

Discuss! O.o

Nicole

Smash Champion
i enjoyed this, good reminder about the options you have even if you've been doing poorly in your match - keeps you from getting discouraged!

Albert.

Smash Master
Good read.

lol at the Marth shout-out ("its called Shield-Breaker")

are there any other real shield breaking moves? I guess G&W Turtle Eats through shields... Any others?

Sorry for my ignorance

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Maybe you can add something to the list:
Projectiles.
If you're using a character with the use of projectiles and your opponent does not have a projectile/anti projectile device, you can at least reset the momentum and give you a chance to swing it your favor by retreating and throwing/shooting stuff at them.

(Can be wrong, can be elaborated on, but just my two cents.)

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Good read.

lol at the Marth shout-out ("its called Shield-Breaker")

are there any other real shield breaking moves? I guess G&W Turtle Eats through shields... Any others?

Sorry for my ignorance
I know DK's sideb does a lot to shields.

There are more, IDK them all. I think DK's upb does to, but I dunno.

Some moves are good on shield, some are specifically strong against shield...

K 2

Smash Lord
Good Read SOLID!

I have a few things to add:

A way of negating your opponents momentum is to simply run away or ledgecamp for a little bit. By ledgecamping, you temporarily stall the game, which can reduce your opponents momentum. Be sure not to get gimped yourself while you ledgecamp.

Also, you can stand on the respawn platform for the full time. It gives you about 5 seconds of invincibilty, which may be enough to slow your opponents momentum and turn it in your favor.

Sorgens

Smash Cadet
Great read. Lets people know they still have a chance despite a bad beginning or unlucky death.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Things like gimps are great for changing the overall balance of the match, but just ending your current pressure is what lets you re-earn the flow of the match. It's important to recognize your options to escape pressure and to earn yourself the space to start making up for the losses you've suffered.

Marth is the champ with Dolphin Slash and Counter, but Mr. Game & Watch, Sonic, and Meta Knight have good up specials to slow things down and let them get back on track too. Mario, Bowser, Zero Suit Samus, Wolf, and Ivysaur all have frame 1 invincible moves that are more limited but can still really help out. Snake's mortar sliding is primarily useful to get out and get out of trouble. Beyond Marth, Peach and Ike have useable countering moves too. Most characters can just go for fast jabs and tilts to push the enemy away. There are other things too, but being exhaustive would result in quite the essay.

Bob Smith

Smash Rookie
Although you said many different ways of reversing momentum, all you said simply was kill or give lots of damage. Interesting, but its all the same thing. Use your options to get quick kills and deal easy damage.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
nice guide, however it seems incomplete.

i think you should also discuss gaining an advantageous position on the stage. trapping your opponent near the edge or getting them on a platform above you can put the match in your favor.

another thing i think you should address is to look for openings in opponent's 'combos' when you can sneak in an attack to mess up their flow.

also, jigg's pound ***** shields.

EDIT: one more thing, you could mention doubles matches...sometimes when your team isn't doing so well in a game you can try switching opponents with your teammate.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Good post for newer people to remember what to do to make the difference.

Also, may I suggest suicides (like Bowser claw)? If you know you are on even stocks and your opponent is edgeguarding you and you have little hope for getting back without getting killed, sometimes a suicide is good to get the match equalized again (doesn't work if he's ahead of a stock though). Still, if it's between dieing and dieing, wouldn't it be better to bring your opponent down a stock as well?

Aiko

Smash Champion
nice read.

first off, a spike is a hit that sends someone down or at an awkward angle, not a method or technique, just a property of the move. A gimp, as you correctly defined, is a move or series of moves that result in a low % KO.

I think a section on how momentum changes the mindsets of players would be useful. eg. if someone is behind, they are more likely to do risky moves, or to go for gimps, as opposed to someone ahead would be prepared to trade hits or camp it out.

Also, stale moves are going to change the momentum. If you know your opponents kill moves are stale, you're definitely going to want to put more pressure on them knowing that they dont have enough firepower to kill you in the next hit. Conversely, if your opponents kill moves are fresh, you would be more inclined to camp.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
@aiko: Most people refer to moves that spike/meteor smash as spikes. That's what I meant.

I'm not experienced at doubles so I won't add that, sorry. I just won't know what I'm talking about lol.

Yeah, this is incomplete, I'm thinking of adding Stage Control, possibly camping with ledge-camping as a sub-section, and some others witch people have proposed to me.

Aiko, I like your idea of the mindset thing, I'll add that soon.

Suicides? IDK... If you are down a stock or something then you'll still be down a stock and suicides reset the whole thing so know one has any momentum, I think of suicides as a fresh start not a momentum changer.

Thanks for the feedback!

<3 u 2 freeze. STRONG HOMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom